• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takao

Banned
I remember trying it out a long time ago but barely remember it...the gameplay vids looked quite fun though and I had a similar idea for a game so I am curious to try it out still... do you know if it is usually a decent tradeoff? Like shitloads of bugs...or only a few and it starts to slow already...

you will buy edf

we will play edf

the bugs will die

OmegaZero

they're also pretty bad but that's aside

Exclamation-point.jpg

MisterC20XX

I love how everyone is an "expert" when it comes to predicting the Vita's demise.

Drives me @#*$&%# insane!

:::eek:ff to bask in the greatness that is LBP:::

I remember trying it out a long time ago but barely remember it...the gameplay vids looked quite fun though and I had a similar idea for a game so I am curious to try it out still... do you know if it is usually a decent tradeoff? Like shitloads of bugs...or only a few and it starts to slow already...

No theres quite a few before drops. I have IA which is considered the worst and it's still fun as hell, tons of insects and robots.

TACTICAL CLASS FTW

Vitacat

From http://www.psnstores.com/2012/09/sneak-peek-october-2nd-psn-releases/

PSone On Vita: (40 titles in all) Lots of Capcom stuff (Megaman, RE, Dino Crisis),Final Fantasy 6, Final Fantasy 8, Final Fantasy 9, Final Fantasy Origins, Final Fantasy Tactics, Parasite Eve 1, Parasite Eve 2, Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger, Legend of Mana, Tomb Raider games

Holy cow. Some amazing PS1 games coming! And best of all it's spend $100 get $20 back month. =)

Does anyone know if they stack that deal? Do we get $20 back for every $100 we spend, or only the first $100?

Skyzard

Banned
NLKS's PSN price has yet to be announced, which probably means expensive, lol.

Nah that's just a commercial they filmed with some Japanese b-movie director, but you gonna preorder anyways.

I'm pretty hyped to see the LBX W commercial SCEJ is putting together. The preview looked cool.

Loved the commercial still would have been hilarious to see as cutscenes. The gameplay trailer sold me though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qSLQkcXcJU

Big fan of Serious Sam..and this has vehicles too, especially keen on that helicopter..

I see what you guys were saying about it being hectic as well..

zroid

Banned
I have 82 people using Near around me.

Vita is saved. I just wish more of them played Treasure Park.

The truth is Sony's been stealth updating Near to increase its radius without telling anyone. That's 82 people using Near within 500 km.

Takao

Banned
That One Piece game's probably going to be a big seller too. It comes out the same week as the new movie (the trailer is at the end of the trailer for the PSP game) so you got that co-marketing going on.

Already out in Oz. Picked it up last Friday.

Its a great little game, lots of handholding at the start, but the more you get into it, the better its gets. Art style, for all the critics, is great.

This is good to hear. How are the "RPG" elements? Meaning, exploration, world design, battles avd characters?

kuroshiki

Already out in Oz. Picked it up last Friday.

Its a great little game, lots of handholding at the start, but the more you get into it, the better its gets. Art style, for all the critics, is great.

Yeah but the price is too expensive for me. -_- I was genuinely expecting $24.99.

Takao

Banned
That Jojo's Bizarre Adventure game is going to be a huge hit for Scamco. The trailers for that are the most viewed videos on Scamco's official Youtube account ever, and they've been doing that stuff for years.

I have yet to play the PS3 version, what's the chances the Vita version comes west? Played Rorona and liked it a lot, but by the time I got around to picking up Totori, Vita happened.
It's likely to come out over here. NISA has already expressed interest in the Vita and the game is already translated, except for a few new recipes and maybe conversations.

I own the CE's for all three Atelier PS3 games.

I haven't opened a single one.
Then play one next, you dolt.

Start with Rorona, that's the worst of the 3.

It's likely to come out over here. NISA has already expressed interest in the Vita and the game is already translated, except for a few new recipes and maybe conversations.

Start with Rorona, that's the worst of the 3.

Thanks, and that's good to hear as I rather enjoyed that one. I tried explaining the game to a friend and he didn't understand lol. He was confused that you could play for 20 hours and still not "beat" the game or that you could fail the game so to speak.

GopherD

This is good to hear. How are the "RPG" elements? Meaning, exploration, world design, battles avd characters?

Exploration and world design is good. As in usual rpg's there is an overworld map broken into sections where the player has access to at any given time. As the story unfolds, you expand your zones of exploration into more and more of these sections.

The battles consist of the king charging his soldiers into battle and retreating and dodging when under attack. Think of it like a slower Ys. Bosses do charge attacks and area of effect attacks from what I've played so far. The king can also do direct attacks but puts him in harms way.

There is a loot system and an alchemy system to combine ingredients to make better items etc that the king equips his guard with (or his townfolk). The more stuff you find, the more you can upgrade your village, the number of soldiers in the king's guard etc

The best part of the game is that you are managing building, resource collection, relationships with your subjects and exploration all at once with loot and item creation systems thrown in. Sometimes they are a little simplistic, (don't expect a Disgaea in this regard) especially at the start where you are handheld through the game for the first couple of hours. But there are a lot of sidequests and community quests (submitted by other users etc) to keep you going for quite a while

Overall think Pikmin meets Settlers.

Yeah but the price is too expensive for me. -_- I was genuinely expecting $24.99.

Yeah I only bit at full price because I'm starved for any handheld rpgs at the moment. It would get a lot of coverage at a $25 price.

Noi

Exploration and world design is good. As in usual rpg's there is an overworld map broken into sections where the player has access to at any given time. As the story unfolds, you expand your zones of exploration into more and more of these sections.

The battles consist of the king charging his soldiers into battle and retreating and dodging when under attack. Think of it like a slower Ys. Bosses do charge attacks and area of effect attacks from what I've played so far. The king can also do direct attacks but puts him in harms way.

There is a loot system and an alchemy system to combine ingredients to make better items etc that the king equips his guard with (or his townfolk). The more stuff you find, the more you can upgrade your village, the number of soldiers in the king's guard etc

The best part of the game is that you are managing building, resource collection, relationships with your subjects and exploration all at once with loot and item creation systems thrown in. Sometimes they are a little simplistic, (don't expect a Disgaea in this regard) especially at the start where you are handheld through the game for the first couple of hours. But there are a lot of sidequests and community quests (submitted by other users etc) to keep you going for quite a while

Overall think Pikmin meets Settlers. (read that from a review)

Stop selling me on a game I have no money for. I've already had to sell a few games to pay for Virtue's Last Reward. :(

zroid

Banned
WOW, the touchscreen is completely wigging out!

Hope a reboot fixes it @_@

EDIT: Yep, that did it. That was weird as hell.

Overall think Pikmin meets Settlers.

Yeah I only bit at full price because I'm starved for any handheld rpgs at the moment. It would get a lot of coverage at a $25 price.

Wow, thanks dude for the mini review. Can you build relationships like friends and lovers? How's the story?

KalBalboa

Banned
So here's a funny story about Near I just went through.

I was visiting my hometown this weekend and apparently Near automatically updated at just the right time when I was south of Boston. An old highschool friend who's living in that area popped on Near after work, saw my PSN ID, and apparently recognized it from an old in-joke a few of us had back in school (a decade ago, mind you).

Anywho, he didn't realize I was even on PSN, or vice versa, but he friended me and now we're playing LBP and comparing trophies. I guess Near has its perks.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I walk to work/run every day (about 13km - with extra lunch time walks and general wandering on way home, maybe 20km a day or so) with a couple of vita's in the back pack and the 3DS LL

Decided to check out Near distance travelled ....

Vita #1 : 462km - hmmm too low
Vita #2 : 23048km - erm....
3DS : about 3,000,000 steps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom