• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitacat

I walk to work/run every day (about 13km - with extra lunch time walks and general wandering on way home, maybe 20km a day or so) with a couple of vita's in the back pack and the 3DS LL

Decided to check out Near distance travelled ....

Vita #1 : 462km - hmmm too low
Vita #2 : 23048km - erm....
3DS : about 3,000,000 steps

Why do you travel with 2 Vitas?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Why do you travel with 2 Vitas?

I segregated my Vita's by region - one is for US games (x2 32gb cards) and the other is for Japanese games (x2 32gb cards).

... .i also usually carry a *cough* special *cough* PSP Go and DS XL.

.... mainly because i jump from game to game and like having an absolute huge library available at any time....

(aka : OCD)

First vita slipped out of my bag somewhere one day - never to be found again. :( Someone got an awesome gift if they found it ! ;)

DCharlie

Even at the start when i first used Vita and Near - i got a whole bunch of hits in my neighbour hood.

I just couldn't imagine it being true but hey.

darkwing

So here's a funny story about Near I just went through.

I was visiting my hometown this weekend and apparently Near automatically updated at just the right time when I was south of Boston. An old highschool friend who's living in that area popped on Near after work, saw my PSN ID, and apparently recognized it from an old in-joke a few of us had back in school (a decade ago, mind you).

Anywho, he didn't realize I was even on PSN, or vice versa, but he friended me and now we're playing LBP and comparing trophies. I guess Near has its perks.

I befriended all my near 'friends'

I am wondering. Sony had to tweak those PS2 games to come to the PS3. Why the hell they did not tweak them for Vita as well. They should do the same fro PSN games like Journey, Dead Nation, and the rest of PSN games. It seems to me like Sony is really short sighted and honestly, very dumb for not doing this.

I am wondering. Sony had to tweak those PS2 games to come to the PS3. Why the hell they did not tweak them for Vita as well. They should do the same fro PSN games like Journey, Dead Nation, and the rest of PSN games. It seems to me like Sony is really short sighted and honestly, very dumb for not doing this.

This kind of logic harkens back to my thoughts that they should release a PSP emulator for the PS3 so that you could download and play your PSP games there with a PS3 controller. This was thought up (by me at least) when UGnG was put up on PSN store as a digital download and they didn't have it listed as a PSP title on whatever site I'd read the news on. I was absolutely giddy about it and thought it was going to be a PSN port... :\

Marz

Guys what's up with Wipeout?

Still people playing online a little bit?

The DLC gives you the entire PS3 game?

Any news on a price drop? Thinking about snatching it up as soon as the price drops.

kerrak

Wow, thanks dude for the mini review. Can you build relationships like friends and lovers? How's the story?

There are relations you have to check. If A likes B and B likes A you can send them to the church, they will marry, and a child will be born, increasing your population.

leroidys

Guys what's up with Wipeout?

It's amazing

Still people playing online a little bit?

Yes, but it's all deathmatch (shit).

The DLC gives you the entire PS3 game?

Yes

Any news on a price drop? Thinking about snatching it up as soon as the price drops.

Price is already dropped. $19.99 is MSRP for physical.

Marz

Awesome thanks for the response man, I was referring to PSN price since i'm all digital on this bad boy though.

I know as soon as I buy it the price will drop lmao.

Quick question about WipEout 2048, I've played through WipEout HD/Fury on my US PS3 account and I grabbed it on my UK account after the Apocalyps3, but never installed or downloaded it.

Are there any advantages if I buy the US version of 2048 or will it just be the same if I buy the UK version? Hate switching accounts and now I'm logged in with the UK one.

Edit: just saw that it was 10£ in UK (Sainsbury) two weeks ago, hope Zavvi will have a price like that soon.

crispyben

I think I'll pick up a LBP Vita bundle this week and see how I fare with the 4GB card that's included. Now, I'm still not clear on saves and backups, even after reading the FAQ in the OP (thanks!). So thanks for your help in advance.

If the game saves on the cartridge, nothing to worty about, right? Which games do so currently?

If the game (retail or digital) saves to the memory card, I have to back up the whole Vita in order to remove the game and not lose my save? Then what happens if I want to restore it later on? Do I lose everything I've done in the meantime? Can I mix-and-match backups or do partial restores?

What's the difference between backing up to my PS3 or my Mac? Is it true games need to be in "install bubble" form to transfer from PS3 to Vita?

Carl

I think I'll pick up a LBP Vita bundle this week and see how I fare with the 4GB card that's included. Now, I'm still not clear on saves and backups, even after reading the FAQ in the OP (thanks!). So thanks for your help in advance.

If the game saves on the cartridge, nothing to worty about, right? Which games do so currently?

If the game (retail or digital) saves to the memory card, I have to back up the whole Vita in order to remove the game and not lose my save? Then what happens if I want to restore it later on? Do I lose everything I've done in the meantime? Can I mix-and-match backups or do partial restores?

What's the difference between backing up to my PS3 or my Mac? Is it true games need to be in "install bubble" form to transfer from PS3 to Vita?

1) Have no idea which games do currently
2) You have to backup the games, which backs up the save too, correct. You don't have to do a full backup - you can back up individual games or any mix or individual games.
3) There is no difference, really, except the obvious that it goes on your PS3 instead of your Mac :p Yes games need to be in their "install bubble" form.

If you buy the game on cart and it saves to the mem card then all you still have to back up the game BUT the game bubble will only consist of the save data so it will only be small. If you by digitally then you have to back up the whole data of the game and save.

If you only plan to get physical carts for games then 4 gig is fine as even save data doesnt use much. However some expansion packs might use a lot of space. Again it depends on your plans. 8 gig is best if your cart only.

If your like me and want a mix of digital and retail (i got a few vita games digitally but A lot of psp and games digitally) then 8 gig is doable (as long as you are willing to back up often to pc / ps3) but 16 gig is a lot more comfortable. 32 would be very comfortable but I'm getting by just fine with my 1 gig. Anything digital and have stopped playing I just back up to my lap top and remove from the vita. Still can hold a lot of games on there at once.

I think the backing up process is the same if its to a PC or ps3 but from what I hear to get games from ps3 to vita (as in, if you bought it on your ps3 to transfer over) then you need to transfer the install bubble.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I still think all handheld games should be $19.

60$
uncharted2.jpg

19$
Uncharted-Golden-Abyss-Drake%20(1).jpg

Oooooooook.

kiyomi

How good does U:GA actually look in the finished game?

I dl'ed the demo the other day and played the burning building chapter, have to say I wasn't too impressed, particle effects in particular looked kinda.. gimpy.

Thank you both, looks like I'll be a Vitabro soon :)

This welcome message will activate when you view this post with your Vita browser.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Thank you both, looks like I'll be a Vitabro soon :)

Don't buy P3P from the PSP section.

I dl'ed the demo the other day and played the burning building chapter, have to say I wasn't too impressed, particle effects in particular looked kinda.. gimpy.

It's not a looker and the lack of AA hurt it too much, but overall it's a good experience, way better than the awful mess that was Uncharted 3.

U2 >>> U1 >U:GA>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> poop>U3.

DCharlie

How much did people expect it to change with that short of a dev time?

the problem here is that Fifa 12 was considered rushed and "not quite the console version" because it was seemingly much closer to Fifa 11 than Fifa 12 console versions - impact system, new defense system, dribbling improvements didn't come across.

However, the assumption was that Vita Fifa 13 would add those in - but alas, it sounds like they haven't come across - nor have the improvements in Fifa 13.

Okay - it's a short dev time but the fact the first game was missing stuff and now the next one is a repeat of the first and little more than a roster/kit update is a huge slap in the face.

I personally think it looks really good. The problem with the demo is that its the level with all the fire and the fire is one of the few things that looks crap in that game.

The rest looks really good. I love the graphics on the canoe bits as well. Such a relaxing feel.

I personally think it looks really good. The problem with the demo is that its the level with all the fire and the fire is one of the few things that looks crap in that game.

The rest looks really good. I love the graphics on the canoe bits as well. Such a relaxing feel.

Ya I was really impressed with the water in golden abyss

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
the problem here is that Fifa 12 was considered rushed and "not quite the console version" because it was seemingly much closer to Fifa 11 than Fifa 12 console versions - impact system, new defense system, dribbling improvements didn't come across.

However, the assumption was that Vita Fifa 13 would add those in - but alas, it sounds like they haven't come across - nor have the improvements in Fifa 13.

Okay - it's a short dev time but the fact the first game was missing stuff and now the next one is a repeat of the first and little more than a roster/kit update is a huge slap in the face.

It's a shame really, there was a product descriptions page for FIFA 13 on Sony site saying it will have the same physics engine as the console version, but it just ended to be EA lying as usual.

Short development time should not be issue since it should be a direct port from the PS3/360 version anyway.

It's a shame really, there was a product descriptions page for FIFA 13 on Sony site saying it will have the same physics engine as the console version, but it just ended to be EA lying as usual.

Short development time should not be issue since it should be a direct port from the PS3/360 version anyway.

Out if interest isn't that false advertising?

Carl

Personally i think it's funny how the launch FIFA game is now more expensive than the new FIFA game on PSN for Vita. Heh.

Hopefully EA book their ideas up for FIFA14

StuBurns

Banned
That would be incredibly difficult to prove, a physics engine is a tool set, the game could feature the same one, and have completely different results. Unless they literally showed footage from another version and didn't say they hadn't, which was the case for the PS3 footage of FFXIII in the 360 UK ads.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

Dunno..but here is the thing

EA SPORTS FIFA Soccer 13 on PS Vita gives you the same physics-based, data driven technology that powers FIFA gameplay on PlayStation®3. Take part in eight different game modes, including 11 vs. 11, Tournament Mode with over 50 real-world competitions, a full in-depth Career Mode, and head-to-head online. Innovations that utilize a rear touch pad and touchscreen create an intelligent and unique gameplay experience. Rear touch pad shooting delivers pin-point accuracy and removes the element of “hit and hope” from shooting and touchscreen passing opens up the field of play for more creative and precision passing.

http://us.playstation.com/psvita/games-and-media/psv-ea-sports-fifa-soccer-13.html

and FIFA 13 on Vita (FIFA 11.6) clearly don't use the same technology as the PS3 version, it don't use the physics impact engine or other "data technology" like attack intelligence.

Personally i think it's funny how the launch FIFA game is now more expensive than the new FIFA game on PSN for Vita. Heh.

Hopefully EA book their ideas up for FIFA14

Highly doubt it, EA just don't care, Maybe if Sony involve and help them on the port for the next one ..but otherwise yeah don't hold your breath.

It's not a looker and the lack of AA hurt it too much, but overall it's a good experience, way better than the awful mess that was Uncharted 2.

U1 >>> U3 >U:GA>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> poop>U2.

Fixed that for you, vitabuddy.

God yes. Are you listening crunchy roll and Sony? Do this!

I was under the impression that a Vita version was set to come out sometime this Fall.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/07/13/anime-fans-crunchyroll-and-neon-alley-are-coming-to-psn/

+ Cade Peterson on July 13th, 2012 at 6:47 pm said:
Crunchyroll is planning to release a PS VITA app following the launch of their PS3 one. With the same membership account, you will be able to enjoy your shows from either console!

Twinduct

Hoping EA get their shit together for next year. In fact, I hope there is more mainstream media that would pursue this, asking EA to explain.
Alas the media doesn't care for Vita much, so assume that will stay but just a hope

DCharlie

Hoping EA get their shit together for next year. In fact, I hope there is more mainstream media that would pursue this, asking EA to explain.
Alas the media doesn't care for Vita much, so assume that will stay but just a hope

I've a good idea what the harsh truth is unfortunately. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom