• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's 90 votes ahead of Borderlands for free. Doubt this means a whole lot to them but I want to see them take the Vita more seriously, and a great PS+ rollout with tons of discounts would do just that.

Carl

It's 90 votes ahead of Borderlands for free. Doubt this means a whole lot to them but I want to see them take the Vita more seriously, and a great PS+ rollout with tons of discounts would do just that.

They won't roll out Vita PS+ and instantly have "tons of discounts."

friz898

First month I have had this problem since launch month...

Only games I care about are Ragnarok Odessy, SF x Tekken, DJ Max, and NFS: MW. But no reason to buy all four as day one.

My thoughts:

RO - Looks good but I didnt like MonHun.
SFxT - Heard this wasnt as good as SSF IV entries.
DJ Max - Expensive but have no negatives.
NFS:MW - Why so little info on Vita port? I may only get for cpu.

What do you folks think?

Sid

Only games I care about are Ragnarok Odessy, SF x Tekken, DJ Max, and NFS: MW. But no reason to buy all four as day one.

My thoughts:

What do you folks think?
Isn't nfs in november?

Carl

But it would be sooo awesome. By tons I am talking discounts across many type of games. Vita retail and PSN games, PSP. Psone, minis, and PSM.

They still won't do it. And it'd be stupid to do it. They need to be consistent in what they offer month to month. There's no point completely blowing their load in the first month.

I am tracking Oct 30th unless the Vita was given a different date rather recently.

It's supposed to launch the same day as the console versions right? So it should be the 30th. God I want that game! Open world, Burnout type racing on a handheld... it's going to be glorious.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I'm still caught between buying retail or digital, my original plan was to buy regular retail releases on cartridge and fill up my 16gb memory card with digital only releases, what's partly persuaded me is I can get the retail games cheaper at the store, is saves me money and space on my memory card, plus I can sell the games on, but that being said I like the idea of having a load of 'console' sized games on my Vita and being able to boot them up at will without messing around with that annoying cartridge flap that I'm half temped to rip off tbh, they should just left the cartridge slot flushed with the case and uncovered imo.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
My thoughts:

What do you folks think?

RO isn't fun because MonHun exist. It's fun because it's a nice action game. The speedy gameplay is as far from MH's slower, strategic gameplay as one can get, and hey, it's Gamearts developed! Also has a Swanky Mercenary Edition for only 10 bucks more.

motZc.jpg

If you have an alt memory card / account to use, you can also always download the Japanese Vita Demo.

As cool as DJ MAX looks to me, about the only music games that ever have a chance at making me feel I'd play them as long as more exciting games, are probably Amplitude, and Bust a Move / Groove 1 and 2. I guess Parappa, too. Nothing else feels as satisfying. ..

Vitacat

I'm still caught between buying retail or digital, my original plan was to buy regular retail releases on cartridge and fill up my 16gb memory card with digital only releases, what's partly persuaded me is I can get the retail games cheaper at the store, is saves me money and space on my memory card, plus I can sell the games on, but that being said I like the idea of having a load of 'console' sized games on my Vita and being able to boot them up at will without messing around with that annoying cartridge flap that I'm half temped to rip off tbh.

I went thru all that. It's a tough decision.

I'm all digital now, and it's pretty great. Once you suck up the terrible prices and complete loss of consumer rights, it's definitely the best possible Vita experience you can have. I'll probably always harbor some bitterness about the prices and inability to resell etc., but smoothly switching games and apps at will without fumbling with tiny carts and that rubber cart slot cover is glorious.

Release week discounts. is the only thing good here to vote for.

From where I'm sitting the release week discounts have sucked. The only one that was even half worth it would be Tokyo Jungle; besides, if the vote for the poll tells them that the announcement of PS+ for Vita was the biggest thing, that should tell them that (1) the PS+ content has been blowing dead bears but also (2) that people want things on the Vita and they should start supporting the Vita more through plus, like with some sales on digital content, perhaps.

Speaking of digital content, is the gravity rush DLC worth the $12?

To say the least. Don't bother.

As distgfx would put it, anything is better than Vortex/Option-select Fighter IV.
Not that I agree with his statement 100%, but SFxT > AE any day in my book.
If they'd released SFxT at the end of July, when they released the 12 additional fighters for consoles, I would have bought it.
Right now, I think all my fighting game friends have moved on to TTT2 and I don't think they'll be moving back, so I'll be looking for a large price drop on the Vita version just to get ahold of the characters for my console copy.

Famassu

My thoughts:

What do you folks think?
Ragnarok Odyssey isn't that much like Monster Hunter. You kill big monsters in both of them, but from what I've read, that's about as far as the similarities go. Monster Hunter is a clumsy game that takes (or at least can take) a lot of time (& coop) to get into and for it to get enjoyable (for a first timer). Ragnarok Odyssey seems like an easier game to get into.

OmegaZero

If anyone cares, Starlight Inception is coming along pretty well. It's apparently now coming to PS3 (originally was slated for PC/Vita release). No gameplay footage yet, but the concept art looks fairly generic.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Perfect, thanks. I've got a leftover credit after deciding to probably not purchase RE6, and this is really the only other game I want! :p Except for AC3, but that's later in the month.

NP. Just note it might ALSO be coming out late in the month... Most of those links have it listed at Oct 30th now. Game's release date seems very up-in-the-air, but hope they pull a LBP Vita retail, and release early :)

EDIT: Second Top of Page, buy Growlanser IV and Gravity Rush! ;)

diffusionx

Gold Member
Is this because of the gems? I'm more of a casual player, think I'll still be picking it up..I only had the first SFIV this gen and would like a decent portable version.

No, I don't think so.

I haven't played it for a while, but it's a boring game. They took SF4 and added some of the high/low/mid stuff to it, and gave the Tekken characters some moves to dodge SF projectiles. I just think the mix doesn't work. Way too many fights turn out to be time-outs as players struggle for an opening to start a chain that doesn't do as much damage as it does in Tekken.

The gems actually help make it a little less boring, but it's way too fiddly for a fighting game. Also the online play wasn't very good when I played it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom