• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyzard

Banned
I'm sorry, but it just isn't. :\

I have tried; I simply cannot grip the system properly without supporting it at the back. More specifically, I'm unable to comfortably move my thumbs to the analogue sticks. It's less of an issue for games that only require the D-pad.

... cta grip! vita is so much better with it. bigger too, but if it doesn't bother you....so much better.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I'm sorry, but it just isn't. :\

I have tried; I simply cannot grip the system properly without supporting it at the back. More specifically, I'm unable to comfortably move my thumbs to the analogue sticks. It's less of an issue for games that only require the D-pad.

Ditto, it's why I have basically zero interest in shooters for this things. Didn't like what I played of UC:GA and don't seem to be missing out on anything else.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I've literally never had an issue accidentally touching the back touchpad. I'm kind of shocked how many people have problems with it.

neither have I. my problem with it has been it's seemin unresponsiveness. hopefully it's just a software problem because in theory it could be used for some interesting things

zroid

Banned
... cta grip! vita is so much better with it. bigger too, but if it doesn't bother you....so much better.

I think I'll try my fabric idea first :p

I'm actually not too keen on spending money to solve a problem that shouldn't exist. Just the way I roll, dawg!

This! I got one of those Hori grips for when I bust out the PS1 games. Works perfectly. I too was used to bracing the back of the PSP with my middle fingers so it felt kinda unnatural to rest them in the grooves. I could have gotten used to it I guess, but I like the grips.

Skyzard

Banned
I think I'll try my fabric idea first :p

I'm actually not too keen on spending money to solve a problem that shouldn't exist. Just the way I roll, dawg!

This! I got one of those Hori grips for when I bust out the PS1 games. Works perfectly. I too was used to bracing the back of the PSP with my middle fingers so it felt kinda unnatural to rest them in the grooves. I could have gotten used to it I guess, but I like the grips.

They just make it more comfortable and improve the experience in every way...plus I got mine (2) each for like £5 or £6 on ebay but shipped from HK..don't think they're that pricey and totally worth it. They make everything better and easier to control and the grip really takes the pressure off. What fabric idea btw? ohh taping off the resting area...might work not sure, let us know - might be worth doing for those rare moments I play without the grip :p (when I've misplaced it-like now :().

Well that's kinda my point, you deal with it feeling uncomfortable and then it becomes second nature.

It's actually very similar to how i felt going from inverted sticks to learning to use them not-inverted. At first it was a complete clusterfuck but after a little while it became the new normal, now if I get inverted controls I can't use those...

I have huge hands and I press the rear touch all the time, I don't have any way I can hold the thing that isn't stupidly painful or unable to touch the back pad accidentally.

Vitacat

I have huge hands and I press the rear touch all the time, I don't have any way I can hold the thing that isn't stupidly painful or unable to touch the back pad accidentally.

It's a matter of hand size I guess. I have (probably) smaller hands for a guy, and the Vita is pretty comfortable for me, and I don't have any real issues with the back panel.

It's a Japanese designed device, so that kinda makes sense.

VanWinkle

So, what's the best grip out there?

Nyko Power Grip has a built in battery to give a couple more hours battery life, and is pretty comfy.

Nyko is fine, except the Vita doesn't exactly fit snug inside of it and has a bit of wiggle that can get kind of annoying. When I first got it however, it didn't have any. It developed over the course of a few days.

You're right, and it is very annoying. Weirdly enough, leaving it in the unlock setting has way less wiggle than when it's locked into place.

Apath

Nyko Power Grip has a built in battery to give a couple more hours battery life, and is pretty comfy.
Nyko is fine, except the Vita doesn't exactly fit snug inside of it and has a bit of wiggle that can get kind of annoying. When I first got it however, it didn't have any. It developed over the course of a few days.

I'm 6'2" and have pretty enormous hands. This is how I roll, y'all.

A4LOe5xCIAIPKEf.jpg

FF III looks so nice on Vita screen! I was also surprised to see the game had a collectible art gallery mode. Should be interesting, because III is the one I have seen the least Amano art for outside the enemy sprites on the Famicom ver.

Now give me V compatibility and X HD then I will have everything I ever wanted on my Vita. It will be my little Final Fantasy machine. :)

OmegaZero

I just want to say I love WipEout's photo mode.
I generally spend a fourth of my playtime just taking shots.

*goes back to WipEout*

Sintoid

Dokuro is confirmed! DD only but it will be available on both US/EU PSN!
Via Facebook official GungHo page

GungHo Online Entertainment America, Inc. @José Viana - For now, I can say "mid" ;) and @ Michele Fontana the US/EU Dokuro will be PSN only.

What games are missing from AU?

All the Ys games, Wizardry, Corpse Party, Prinny 2, ZHP, both Cladun's, Disgaea 2, Disgaea Infinite and Badman 2 from my count. We basically have to just wait and hope that a publisher like Ghostlight or Rising Star Games picks up the PAL release instead (like Trails in the Sky) because otherwise, we're fucked.

All the Ys games, Wizardry, Corpse Party, Prinny 2, ZHP, both Cladun's, Disgaea 2, Disgaea Infinite and Badman 2 from my count. We basically have to just wait and hope that a publisher like Ghostlight or Rising Star Games picks up the PAL release instead (like Trails in the Sky) because otherwise, we're fucked.

D2 is on the store, just really pricy.

Any of you AU guys able to download all of the Zen Pinball 2 demo tables?
The shop for me shows all tables, but heaps are without download trial or buy buttons.
Within the game itself, several of the squares on the grid are blank - off the top of my head i can't get demos for Mars, Excalibur, Ninja Gaiden, Street Fighter ... ie all the tables i want to try :(

Thinking i'll just go for Pinball Arcade if they don't get their shit together soon, been hassling Zen on twitter but nothing much back.

Any of you AU guys able to download all of the Zen Pinball 2 demo tables?
The shop for me shows all tables, but heaps are without download trial or buy buttons.
Within the game itself, several of the squares on the grid are blank - off the top of my head i can't get demos for Mars, Excalibur, Ninja Gaiden, Street Fighter ... ie all the tables i want to try :(

Thinking i'll just go for Pinball Arcade if they don't get their shit together soon, been hassling Zen on twitter but nothing much back.

Try going to the store and downloading the demos from there

usctrojan

Up to now, my research on the topic suggests that Hatsune Miku will NOT get a US vita release. Anyone have any insider info otherwise? I adore rhythm games and am thinking of biting the bullet and importing. Thank you all!

So Nintendo dropped the 3DS' price by something like 30%~ after five months of poor sales.

Why is Sony choosing to stick with the price point through the holiday season?

I assume Nintendo was already selling the 3DS for profit at launch and could afford to cut the price, while the Vita is selling at a loss, even at $250.

I've forgotten whether or not that's true so someone please remind me.

So Nintendo dropped the 3DS' price by something like 30%~ after five months of poor sales.

I assume Nintendo was already selling the 3DS for profit at launch and could afford to cut the price, while the Vita is selling at a loss, even at $250.

Sony, unnatural as it may seem, seems to view Vita as a long-term investment, where they increase sales in a steady manner. The problem with that approach is it doesn't work, developers will not wait forever for the install base, they will move to cheaper development on 3DS (Japan) and iOS/Android (everywhere else).

Add to it the fact new PS3 is out and Sony wants to push it heavily to compete with WiiU.

Also, as you mentioned, Vita is barely selling at a profit, or even losing money, and Sony is not exactly in a situation where they can take a hit on their revenues. 3DS was overpriced on purpose to capitalize on DS popularity.

We don't have Disgaea 2 and Disgaea 3 on Polish store for example. So generally PAL content might be missing from some stores.

StuBurns

Banned
Sony, unnatural as it may seem, seems to view Vita as a long-term investment, where they increase sales in a steady manner. The problem with that approach is it doesn't work, developers will not wait forever for the install base, they will move to cheaper development on 3DS (Japan) and iOS/Android (everywhere else).

Add to it the fact new PS3 is out and Sony wants to push it heavily to compete with WiiU.

Also, as you mentioned, Vita is barely selling at a profit, or even losing money, and Sony is not exactly in a situation where they can take a hit on their revenues. 3DS was overpriced on purpose to capitalize on DS popularity.
Sony showed with the PSP they can revitalize the ecosystem years after the fact by campaigning to publishers. Sony are probably planning to march on steadily, producing their own games, and letting ports slowly build installbase, then three or so years from now, release a significant redesign, and push publishers again with a now decent installbase, and greater marketing presence.

It doesn't matter if publishers 'leave', because they can always be convinced to return.

3ds was definately selling at a profit for luanch they dropped to a level that was selling at a small loss but I rember something about back to being profit per unit sometime soon.

darkwing

Up to now, my research on the topic suggests that Hatsune Miku will NOT get a US vita release. Anyone have any insider info otherwise? I adore rhythm games and am thinking of biting the bullet and importing. Thank you all!

it is very import friendly though English text everywhere

Buy Technika Tune, much better.

It doesn't matter if publishers 'leave', because they can always be convinced to return.

I don't think it's that easy. Publishers and developers move on, market moves on. At some point Vita will be outclassed by other devices. You want 5 year support form the start or 2 year support at the end?

StuBurns

Banned
I don't think it's that easy. Publishers and developers move on, market moves on. At some point Vita will be outclassed by other devices. You want 5 year support form the start or 2 year support at the end?
And yet they did it for the PSP, it had a compete relaunch years after the fact, and they convinced publishers to produce high profile games for the system again. Some of that is certainly thanks to MonHun, which they didn't spur, but the Western stuff wasn't.

I think Sony actually has a talent for attracting support where it's probably not warranted. Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation is a great example, I've just played that game recently, it's really impressive, and it's exclusive, for a platform no one cares about. The 3DS doesn't have an AC or CoD coming, and it's completely outclassing the Vita in market performance.

EDIT: And before the 'well that got greenlit years ago', the 3DS also had an exclusive AC announced for it, which was canceled and used as the basis for Revelations, they could have done the same with this, had they so chose.

And yet they did it for the PSP, it had a compete relaunch years after the fact, and they convinced publishers to produce high profile games for the system again. Some of that is certainly thanks to MonHun, which they didn't spur, but the Western stuff wasn't.

I think Sony actually has a talent for attracting support where it's probably not warranted. Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation is a great example, I've just played that game recently, it's really impressive, and it's exclusive, for a platform no one cares about. The 3DS doesn't have an AC or CoD coming, and it's completely outclassing the Vita in market performance.

Yeah well, it's not like they started working on AC: Liberations and CoD 6 months ago (well CoD maybe ;), so how would they have known, that Vita would struggle that much?

Edit: ;)

Laguna

Banned

EDIT: And before the 'well that got greenlit years ago', the 3DS also had an exclusive AC announced for it, which was canceled and used as the basis for Revelations, they could have done the same with this, had they so chose.

Wasn´t the push for the PSPGo release? How long did this push last in the West? Basically only EA (with a Dantes Inferno port) und UbiSoft were part of it and support dried up really fast for a reason. After PSP a failed relaunch with PSPGo, a failed PSV I doubt Sony has the same trust from (western) publishers they did some failed systems ago.

StuBurns

Banned
Wasn´t the push for the PSPGo release? How long did this push last in the West? Basically only EA (with a Dantes Inferno port) und UbiSoft were part of it and support dried up really fast for a reason. After PSP a failed relaunch with PSPGo, a failed PSV I doubt Sony has the same trust from (western) publishers they did some failed systems ago.
Then why is AC:L coming out?

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
I'll be in Akihibara tomorrow (in Japan currently on holidays) and am thinking of grabbing a Vita.

Any games I should grab that are text-light and/or have an English language option?

Also, where's the best place to grab one?

Cheers.

I'll be in Akihibara tomorrow (in Japan currently on holidays) and am thinking of grabbing a Vita.

Any games I should grab that are text-light and/or have an English language option?

Also, where's the best place to grab one?

Cheers.

Technika Tune. Hatsune Miku Project Diva also has lots of English. Both are rhythm games.

The only games not released in the West (outside the quirky ones that will never make it over here) are text-heavy with no English text: Lord of Apocalypse, Tales of...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom