• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be in Akihibara tomorrow (in Japan currently on holidays) and am thinking of grabbing a Vita.

Any games I should grab that are text-light and/or have an English language option?

Also, where's the best place to grab one?

Cheers.

EDF is out in Japan as while it has quite a lot if text it is all not needed and the game is easy to understand

Famassu

I can see it hurting it in the long run, but *shrug*

To be fair, it's named Vita so it's not named that, though that's literally what it is. I think the reason it's selling (apparently? I don't know) poorly is because people aren't as interested because the psp wasn't that great. It is my opinion, having used a PSP that there were far too few "good" games for it, and way too many very poor games for the psp. Quite a few were okay but priced way too high for consumption in the amounts they wanted, for the quality of games provided.

PSP had shittons of fuckawesome games. It's easily one of the best handhelds of all time.

Sid

So how long till the CFW 'leaks' and the vita becomes 'homebrewable'?seriously the vita is going to be killed before it even finds it's own ground.Psp had a shitton of support because there were not many options for pubs in the mobile space back then and now everyone who took the wait and see approach will simply ignore it.

Laguna

Banned
Then why is AC:L coming out?

Because they began this project before PSV was released when 3DS seemed to have a hard time and the press and some developers were hyping the system as a 3DS killer. They also gave it the benefit of the doubt because it was a new system and not a revision and PSP actually had a good start in USA back in the day. It will be more difficult to convince them for another big push for a PSV relaunch after theses precedent bad performances with PSP+ relaunches when a new system, the PSV, actually reconfirms theses bad precedents.

Some new info on most wanted - courtesy of IGN

"The Vita version of Most Wanted, which looks sleek on the Vita’s fantastic screen and handles pleasantly well, isn’t being outsourced like many other Vita ports. We press Loombe regarding the resources Criterion has allocated Most Wanted on Vita considering there’s an argument that, despite the fact it’s a great device, it may not be worth the investment.
“Well, we’re super excited about the Vita; as you said, we’re doing it in house and it’s a direct port of the game, so everything is still the same, the visuals, the open-world, the events, so we're really excited about it coming out,” says Loombe. “Obviously we’ve got a dedicated team in house that are dealing with the Vita version but it’s all the same codebase, so it’s really easy for us to just port that across. There’s 10 extra events for the Vita as well.”
Your progress can be shared across the Vita and PS3 versions too.
“Yes, Vita is all run by Speed Points as well,” says Loombe, “So when you’re playing on the PS3 and you’re getting Speed Points for that, you can then go onto the Vita version.”

"The Vita version of Most Wanted, which looks sleek on the Vita’s fantastic screen and handles pleasantly well, isn’t being outsourced like many other Vita ports. We press Loombe regarding the resources Criterion has allocated Most Wanted on Vita considering there’s an argument that, despite the fact it’s a great device, it may not be worth the investment.
“Well, we’re super excited about the Vita; as you said, we’re doing it in house and it’s a direct port of the game, so everything is still the same, the visuals, the open-world, the events, so we're really excited about it coming out,” says Loombe. “Obviously we’ve got a dedicated team in house that are dealing with the Vita version but it’s all the same codebase, so it’s really easy for us to just port that across. There’s 10 extra events for the Vita as well.”
“Yes, Vita is all run by Speed Points as well,” says Loombe, “So when you’re playing on the PS3 and you’re getting Speed Points for that, you can then go onto the Vita version.”

Awesome. Hope other devs will go this route.

No mention of Cross buy?

Because they began this project before PSV was released when 3DS seemed to have a hard time and the press and some developers were hyping the system as a 3DS killer. They also gave it the benefit of the doubt because it was a new system and not a revision and PSP actually had a good start in USA back in the day. It will be more difficult to convince them for another big push for a PSV relaunch after theses precedent bad performances with PSP+ relaunches when a new system, the PSV, actually reconfirms theses bad precedents.

Here's another theory: it's because Ubisoft always supports new consoles at launch, as a strategy to create standout games for new platforms. This has the advantage of both the titles and the publisher to get a lot of attention during the pre-launch phase (look at how well that is working right now with Wii U for instance). The title and the platform will then help each other become a success, and if you have a successful title at the launch of a platform, you can reap the rewards in terms of sales almost throughout the full lifespan of the system (look at top-100s for any platform and notice the overabundance of early titles in there)

It's a strategy they've publicly stated and have been practicing successfully for a while now.

In the case of Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation, if the title is as good as I got the impression it is from playing it at gamescom, I think Ubisoft may well be in a position similar to GTA's releases for the original PSP and do quite well in the long run and get some good sales.

darkwing

just read this, so it's cross saves?

$h@d0w

I bought Resistance today for $25.

Played for about an hour and enjoying it so far. Technically it's solid, has no serious frame rate issues and it controls well.

Looking forward to Call of Duty a lot more now.

Let hope that we see actual good and unique "apps" not just horrible smart phones games on PSM.

Thats what im hoping for more. I got TONS of games and while i welcome IOS style games as well.... I want some apps.

I bought Resistance today for $25.

Played for about an hour and enjoying it so far. Technically it's solid, has no serious frame rate issues and it controls well.

Looking forward to Call of Duty a lot more now.

Yeah its fine. Just nothing amazing. The frame rate is only an issue in multiplayer. Which sucks because if it ran ok and the shot gun wasn't so insane it would be a great online shooter. But those 2 things ruin it for me.

I genuinely liked the single player.... it was just sooo easy even on hard until the final boss.

I'm 6'2" and have pretty enormous hands. This is how I roll, y'all.

A4LOe5xCIAIPKEf.jpg

You really should check out that Nerf armor. It "automatically" puts your hands like that

PaulLFC

Did they ever say whether they're doing cross-buy for the PS3 and Vita versions? I seriously doubt it, being EA and all, but I seem to remember them being asked about it a while ago and saying "no comment" rather than a straight no.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm 6'2" and have pretty enormous hands. This is how I roll, y'all.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A4LOe5xCIAIPKEf.jp

:lol That's pretty much how I hold it and the OG PSP. But the backtouch is always active or nearly active if it's on because of how I hold it and my left middle/bird finger always seems to be touching the backtouch because of Sony's boneheadedness and need to be different. :/

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
:lol That's pretty much how I hold it and the OG PSP. But the backtouch is always active or nearly active if it's on because of how I hold it and my left middle/bird finger always seems to be touching the backtouch because of Sony's boneheadedness and need to be different. :/
Well, i happen to like the back touch. use it every day on the web broswer, and loved it in lbp. I am glad they added the feature.

The odd thing is as much as you have people who hate the back touch you have people like me who love it. I think not only does it add new things you can do to interface with games (they are still working it out but escape plan, sound shapes and LBP all do it well) but for scrolling the web browser and facebook apps its awesome.

I have a way of holding it where I only have my two bottom fingers resting at the bottom, my trigger fingers sit on the bumpers and the middle fingers sit at the top ready to press the back touch if needed.

If i try the technique shown in the pic posted I get wrist pain. My way seems to work pretty well for me though to the point I have stopped using my trigger grip.

TheSeks

Well, i happen to like the back touch. use it every day on the web broswer, and loved it in lbp. I am glad they added the feature.

The backtouch is TOO BIG. There-in the issue. I wouldn't have such a big issue with it if it wasn't in the way/constantly being activated. You guys can say it was implemented "well in LBP" and while I half-agree that the idea of front/back-touch being used to push-in/out respectively is a neat idea, the fact that I CONSTANTLY have the backtouch indication in-game in levels with the backtouch on is annoying. They really needed to make that touchpad smaller for the sake of ergonomics. Again, Sony is bone-headed and had to implement a gimmick but do it poorly. :/

TheSeks

What is the exact time does the PS1 classics release this week?

2PM GCT.

Grace Chen Time

WillyWonkaYouMustBeNewHere.jpg

Welcome to the PSN store updates, please go to the PSN store thread and bitch about Sony America's incompetence like some of us (read: ME!) have been doing about timely updates for the past... oh... it's been six years? Huh, time flies!

The backtouch is TOO BIG. There-in the issue. I wouldn't have such a big issue with it if it wasn't in the way/constantly being activated. You guys can say it was implemented "well in LBP" and while I half-agree that the idea of front/back-touch being used to push-in/out respectively is a neat idea, the fact that I CONSTANTLY have the backtouch indication in-game in levels with the backtouch on is annoying. They really needed to make that touchpad smaller for the sake of ergonomics. Again, Sony is bone-headed and had to implement a gimmick but do it poorly. :/

But its only implemented poorly in your perspective. For me its perfect because its close enough to the same size as the front screen that its easy to tap on the back where you want to interact with things. If it was smaller it wouldn't work well for this at all and would only be able to be used as digital buttons / scrolling.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
backtouch indication in-game in levels with the backtouch on is annoying. They really needed to make that touchpad smaller for the sake of ergonomics. Again, Sony is bone-headed and had to implement a gimmick but do it poorly. :/

I won't call it a "gimmick" since it it works as buttons for FPS games and also for PSone, which is actually helpful.

Shinriji

JAPAN VITA PSN RANKING (Set 26 - Out 2)

1. Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable (372/4.84)
2. Y's - Foliage Ocean in Celceta (345/4.92)
3. Nobunaga's Ambition: Heavenly with Power-Up Kit (95/4.69)
4. DJMAX Technika Tune (93/4.53)
5. Sound Shapes (156/ 4.78)
6. Little Big Planet PS Vita (496 / 4.91)
7. Tottemo E Mahjong (190/3.86)
8 Hatsune Miku: Project f (2605/4.90)
9. Assault Gunners (1040/4.56)
10. Persona 4 Golden (3086/4.95)

Carl

Sony puts out a PSP with no touchscreen or anything when the DS has one and everyone congratulated Nintendo on their gimmick and slams Sony for not having a USP.

Sony adds a backtouch and OMG GIMMICKS, BONEHEADS.

Did everyone see two analogue sticks as a gimmick when Sony first released the DualShock?

Massa

But its only implemented poorly in your perspective. For me its perfect because its close enough to the same size as the front screen that its easy to tap on the back where you want to interact with things. If it was smaller it wouldn't work well for this at all and would only be able to be used as digital buttons / scrolling.

One of the problems I have with the back touch is that it's not easy to blindly find where you're tapping in relation to the screen. You need feedback on the screen and games often don't provide it well enough.

It's fine for gestures.

Sony puts out a PSP with no touchscreen or anything when the DS has one and everyone congratulated Nintendo on their gimmick and slams Sony for not having a USP.

Sony adds a backtouch and OMG GIMMICKS, BONEHEADS.

Did everyone see two analogue sticks as a gimmick when Sony first released the DualShock?

Come on, analogue sticks? It's not the same thing at all.

Carl

Come on, analogue sticks? It's not the same thing at all.

Sure it is. Two analogue sticks was a new thing and they had to find the right way to implement it. Every game had worked fine before with only one. Did everyone say it was a gimmick in Ape Escape?

Anyway.

Looks like Sony are being idiots and waiting until tomorrow to tell us the Playstation Mobile launch line up *sigh*

https://twitter.com/PlayStationEU/status/253084082253230081

There'll be full details on PlayStation Blog tomorrow - we've a really solid line-up of launch titles

Sure it is. Two analogue sticks was a new thing and they had to find the right way to implement it. Every game had worked fine before with only one. Did everyone say it was a gimmick in Ape Escape?

Anyway.

Looks like Sony are being idiots and waiting until tomorrow to tell us the Playstation Mobile launch line up *sigh*

https://twitter.com/PlayStationEU/status/253084082253230081

God damn it. I was really looking forward to seeing that lol.

Bah.

Carl

It's basically a new platform, and they're refusing to let us know what games are coming out until launch day.

I look forward to the PS4 launch ;)

TheSeks

I won't call it a "gimmick" since it it works as buttons for FPS games and also for PSone, which is actually helpful.

Those FPS games released so far work just fine without the backtouch in terms of using the D-pad. Awkward, yes, but better than attempting to double-tap the back touch-screen to sprint.

Let's not mention that the FPS titles released so far are pale imitations of their console brothers and not worth the time or money invested so far

PSX is another back-touch issue. The L/R2 "triggers" either activate too often and without my wanting them to activate (see SpaceBridge complaining about the back-touch for Vagrant Story) or the touch-areas are too small/non-customizable to where hitting them isn't consistent.

It's a poor gimmick and one that really should've been thought out better
or better yet, left on the cutting room floor
because 1) touch-pad is too big 2) it's awkward to use the touch-pad in addition to controlling the front while using the sticks/buttons and 3) no reasonable "feel" in knowing where you're touching compared to the front-screen (LBP is the only title I've seen that gives a cursor for the backtouch)

Did everyone say it was a gimmick in Ape Escape?

No, because that actually was a convincing argument for the thumbsticks. What game has given a convincing argument for the back-touch without a "well, that's nice but it gets in the way" like LBP.

If you have ergonomic issues with the back screen or the Vita in general, get the Nerf armor. It keeps the form factor of the Vita but completely eliminates the awkwardness of holding it. You can basically hold it any way you want without ever touching the back screen inadvertently. I'll take some pictures in a few.

Carl

No, because that actually was a convincing argument for the thumbsticks. What game has given a convincing argument for the back-touch without a "well, that's nice but it gets in the way" like LBP.

It doesn't get in the way in LBP. So LBP :).

Top of the page: BUY MUTANT BLOBS ATTACK. AND VELOCITY. NOW.

Those FPS games released so far work just fine without the backtouch in terms of using the D-pad. Awkward, yes, but better than attempting to double-tap the back touch-screen to sprint.

Let's not mention that the FPS titles released so far are pale imitations of their console brothers and not worth the time or money invested so far

PSX is another back-touch issue. The L/R2 "triggers" either activate too often and without my wanting them to activate (see SpaceBridge complaining about the back-touch for Vagrant Story) or the touch-areas are too small/non-customizable to where hitting them isn't consistent.

It's a poor gimmick and one that really should've been thought out better
or better yet, left on the cutting room floor
because 1) touch-pad is too big 2) it's awkward to use the touch-pad in addition to controlling the front while using the sticks/buttons and 3) no reasonable "feel" in knowing where you're touching compared to the front-screen (LBP is the only title I've seen that gives a cursor for the backtouch)

Again.... your issues are for you personally. There are plenty of people out there who like them. You completely entitled to not like it but it shouldn't have been left off and a lot of us think its great. Sure something don't implement it well at all but its new, and thats bound to happen. In sound shapes the back touch is used really well on the level editor. In escape plan it adds another dimension to the puzzles.

What they need to do on the PSX emulator is allow you to configure where the virtual buttons are. That way you can leave space you commonly touch by accident free.

The console would be worse off without it for the most part.

With resistance it would have been better to just have a button can configure to what ever size you want on the back that you touch once to run. Simple. Double touch doesn't work well for that and like many i just used down on the d-pad.

Most people havn't learned how to integrate it well yet but others have and as time goes on it will be used to greater effect. The whole pinching to pick the people up in everybodies golf is another idea that can be used in the future as well.

edit - if it really is that annoying for you then you should try a grip... they do help quite a bit.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So can someone give me a rundown of what PSM is? Is it like the app store for iOS? I kind of don't like the idea of that if that's the case...But I'm going to have an open mind.

Carl

So can someone give me a rundown of what PSM is? Is it like the app store for iOS? I kind of don't like the idea of that if that's the case...But I'm going to have an open mind.

Basically. It's a developer environment for Android first and foremost, but the games will also work on PSVita. Basically it will have lots of indie games. Anyone can make their own game for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom