• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
does anyone know why there is no VITA version of NBA 2K13? They have always launched a PSP version...

Dunno but it's not on 3DS too..so it's not a no Vita support thingy.
7Srjg.jpg

I think it's simply mean 2K see that there is no market/NBA userbase on Vita and 3DS (yet).

KongRudi

Banned
Dokuro is confirmed! DD only but it will be available on both US/EU PSN!
Via Facebook official GungHo page

Yeah, supercool that GungHo has started western branche(s?).

They announced Dokuro this month, and Picotto Knights early 2013, a social action RPG, where you can summon ghosts of your friends even if they're not online.
Aswell as Ragnarok Oddyssey late 2012 in Europe.
And also 3 ios/android titles.
http://gematsu.com/2012/09/gungho-online-entertainment-america-formed

EDF is out in Japan as while it has quite a lot if text it is all not needed and the game is easy to understand

EDF is coming to North America atleast, if you want to read the text. :)
http://gematsu.com/2012/09/earth-defense-force-2017-portable-headed-stateside

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Basically. It's a developer environment for Android first and foremost, but the games will also work on PSVita. Basically it will have lots of indie games. Anyone can make their own game for it.

This isn't going to hurt the Vita by turning it into an iOS/Android-esque app dump, is it? That's what worries me...I don't want my Vita turning into a freemium piece of garbage. :(

Carl

This isn't going to hurt the Vita by turning it into an iOS/Android-esque app dump, is it? That's what worries me...I don't want my Vita turning into a freemium piece of garbage. :(

I don't see how it could hurt it. It'll be a separate tab on the store, and have lots of cheap and cheerful games.

sajj316

I don't see how it could hurt it. It'll be a separate tab on the store, and have lots of cheap and cheerful games.

Agreed. It's not going to hurt it. Minis certainly didn't hurt the PSP/PS3. The have been decent iOS/Android games where I wish I had buttons. With the Vita, it's the best of both worlds. Back/Front touch with buttons ..

Regarding the back touch .. the HORI grips are designed so you don't keep touching the back touch. I'm sure other grips are as well. What it also means is that you'll need extend your reach to hit the back touch. I'd rather extend my reach than have it touch the back accidentally.

Playstation Mobile games don't have access to the back-touch for now though. Would get very complicated keeping that compatible with phones, but I and other developers have never the less suggested we should still have access to it, at the very least allow mirroring the front touch as an option or something.

But yeah, I've played around with it, and it is cool. Basically, I'm also hoping for a bunch of neat apps you also get on the other devices, like some of the word games, weather tools and what not, as well as have some really nice platformers and other classic style games that work much better with buttons than they do on iOS.

Developing for Playstation Mobile is definitely really easy - it's the first platform that I've had a breeze developing some stuff for, very easy to get started with and get results, especially if you come from a PC, Java or .NET background. I found it way easier than iOS or Android in that respect.

Wonko_C

Serious question/semi-rant: If NFS Most Wanted Vita is the same as the console version, why is it $20 less? I know it sounds like I'm asking for it to be $60 but I am not.

What exactly does the game lack that makes it inferior enough to be cheaper? Why aren't the console versions $40 instead?

Because it's a handheld game, and people have a weird thing where they expect handheld games to be cheaper, even if they're the exact same game released at the exact same time.

It's just that it seems odd to me for companies to be ok with selling the same game cheaper because the portable market is like that.

Carl

Serious question/semi-rant: If NFS Most Wanted Vita is the same as the console version, why is it $20 less? I know it sounds like I'm asking for it to be $60 but I am not.

What exactly does the game lack that makes it inferior enough to be cheaper? Why aren't the console versions $40 instead?

Because it's a handheld game, and people have a weird thing where they expect handheld games to be cheaper, even if they're the exact same game released at the exact same time.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Agreed. It's not going to hurt it. Minis certainly didn't hurt the PSP/PS3. The have been decent iOS/Android games where I wish I had buttons. With the Vita, it's the best of both worlds. Back/Front touch with buttons ..

I'll keep a level head about the experience - I'd love it to do amazing. I want it to give me reason to buy a 64 gig card when they release one. My Vita is quickly becoming my most loved portable device ever. <3

JoshHood

Maybe I'm the only one, but I've not had a single issue with back touch across Vita games, PSone titles and apps. Works great in stuff like LBP and also when its just filling in for missing buttons compared to the DualShock etc. Not had a problem hitting the right place in relation to the front screen like some seem to (LBP, Escape Plan) or it triggering when I don't want it too. Total non-issue for me, just proves you can't make everyone happy I guess.

Carl

I'll keep a level head about the experience - I'd love it to do amazing. I want it to give me reason to buy a 64 gig card when they release one. My Vita is quickly becoming my most loved portable device ever. <3

If anything it will mean we actually have games to play. Everyone knows Vita doesn't have any of those!! ;)

garath

Maybe I'm the only one, but I've not had a single issue with back touch across Vita games, PSone titles and apps. Works great in stuff like LBP and also when its just filling in for missing buttons compared to the DualShock etc. Not had a problem hitting the right place in relation to the front screen like some seem to (LBP, Escape Plan) or it triggering when I don't want it too. Total non-issue for me, just proves you can't make everyone happy I guess.

You're not the only one. I had a little trouble with it initially but I just changed my grip slightly. (random bombs in Super Stardust lol).

Then again, I don't play THAT many back pad compatible games.

Carl

Pretty good song, like to have some context, but I guess all will be figured out in one more day.

Or maybe today? Is Futurlab a EU dev? maybe they were referring to the EU store update and the store update for the US today will roll out PSM.

FuturLab are based in Brighton in the UK. No details until tomorrow though

Well its owned by console users so the whole "why isnt it 69p" thing doesnt exist on this platform. The fact it also plays full priced games means it should stay that way. This means it might even be a bit of a haven for indie developers who can taget there games at gamers (because you are almost definately a gamer if you have a vita but an iPad user more likely not). You can prob charge a little more and seeing as the audience is looking for games you might sell just as well.

We all know there are tons of devs on IOS that dont sell much because of factors like a flooded market, 69p ($0.99) culture etc etc. So in theory it could be a very attractive place for indie devs.

Not saying it will be but it definitely has the potential.

Hopefully it will also have plenty of apps eventually like BBC iPlayer, IMDB, TV Catchup, steam app etc etc and even possibly pc remote play if its allowed. If Sony really let devs have there way with this thing it should really stop the need for hacking it and make it the ultimate gamers tablet.

Also please someone make a better web browser. Just want portrait view, copy/past and proper video support and il be pretty chuffed.

I really dont want to have to buy a tablet as well at somepoint.

edit

Oh and fishlabs (i think its them) please make galaxy on fire 2 (or hell make a sequel with less cheese) and stick it on PSM. I will throw my cash at you if you do this. That game with buttons would be awesome (it was still great touch screen only to be fair)

JoshHood

Why will they made a different and new engine for Vita when they can use the current one.

To be honest, its more probably because they're working on their next-gen engine and would rather just port that than waste time. Its the same logic as CoD - the Burning Skies engine isn't great, but there's no point in porting over the CoD engine when it'll either be remade next year or just point-blank replaced by Destiny, and they can just work to port that.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Well its
edit

Oh and fishlabs (i think its them) please make galaxy on fire 2 (or hell make a sequel with less cheese) and stick it on PSM. I will throw my cash at you if you do this. That game with buttons would be awesome (it was still great touch screen only to be fair)

Same here gaf2 seemed neat but the gyro/virtual sticks are just god awful.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
To be honest, its more probably because they're working on their next-gen engine and would rather just port that than waste time. Its the same logic as CoD - the Burning Skies engine isn't great, but there's no point in porting over the CoD engine when it'll either be remade next year or just point-blank replaced by Destiny, and they can just work to port that.

I doubt Vita version will use the next gen 2K engine,I still think it has nothing to do with the engines, 3DS version (if there was one) will most likely use Wii engine for years and years to come, but there is no 3DS version so I really think 2K just don't see a market yet for their NBA game on 3DS and Vita.

Takao

Banned
I doubt Vita version will use the next gen 2K engine,I still think it has nothing to do with the engines, 3DS version (if there was one) will most likely use Wii engine for years and years to come, but there is no 3DS version so I really think 2K just don't see a market yet for their NBA game on 3DS and Vita.

Which is weird since the PSP NBA titles sold fairly well to the point where there once was three different series on it. In fact, Sony's last NBA game was a PSP exclusive.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Well its owned by console users so the whole "why isnt it 69p" thing doesnt exist on this platform. The fact it also plays full priced games means it should stay that way. This means it might even be a bit of a haven for indie developers who can taget there games at gamers (because you are almost definately a gamer if you have a vita but an iPad user more likely not). You can prob charge a little more and seeing as the audience is looking for games you might sell just as well.

We all know there are tons of devs on IOS that dont sell much because of factors like a flooded market, 69p ($0.99) culture etc etc. So in theory it could be a very attractive place for indie devs.

Not saying it will be but it definitely has the potential.

Hopefully it will also have plenty of apps eventually like BBC iPlayer, IMDB, TV Catchup, steam app etc etc and even possibly pc remote play if its allowed. If Sony really let devs have there way with this thing it should really stop the need for hacking it and make it the ultimate gamers tablet.

Also please someone make a better web browser. Just want portrait view, copy/past and proper video support and il be pretty chuffed.

I really dont want to have to buy a tablet as well at somepoint.

edit

OK, I'm glad everyone has high regard for the potential of this system. It helps put me "at ease", haha. GoF2 WOULD be sick, btw. SO good...

Same here gaf2 seemed neat but the gyro/virtual sticks are just god awful.

OK, I'm glad everyone has high regard for the potential of this system. It helps put me "at ease", haha. GoF2 WOULD be sick, btw. SO good...

Yeah the gyro just didnt work at all (especially for mining... oh god the horror) but I got used to the virtual stick enough in the end..... just think it would be so much nicer with the vita's sticks though. Prob my fav game I have played on IOS as well. Looked so pretty. Shame the voice acting was super cheesy. I can normally cope with a bit of cheese but it would be nice if it wasn't.

Oh bards tale might be nice on it as well. I just try and play it on my phone but those touch controls on a small screen like that ruin it for me.

Cornbread78

Dunno but it's not on 3DS too..so it's not a no Vita support thingy.
7Srjg.jpg

I think it's simply mean 2K see that there is no market/NBA userbase on Vita and 3DS (yet).

That's unfortunate. I woudl have picked it up if released on the handheld. I wonder how bad their PSP ports were selling.

PSA: Skype got updates in the EU

Awesome! Skype can now handle my huge contacts list, and I can use Skype out with my Skype Credit to call other phones (just tested), so basically my Vita just became a phone ... :D

EDIT: boo, no text chat yet.

Are you going to make a game or anything for it Maastricht?

I've only created a user interface tool so far. Time permitting I will create something eventually, but I was a little disappointed when I found my country is not in the list of countries it launches in ... :( and then drowned my sorrow in LittleBigPlanet Vita, Zen Pinball 2 and Rocksmith, basically (and buying a new PC).

Also, while I posted the library online, there seems to be zero interest in it so far, otherwise I'd very likely have worked on it more.

Diggler

Love the system, but I'm still very confused by the Vita's use of memory cards and profiles - can someone explain something to me please;

What I want to know essentially, is if I have both a US and a EU PSN account, can I buy 2 memory cards and put one account on each in order to access them? If so, is it just a case of then putting in the relevant card depending on what I wanna play, or will I need to do the whole reboot/reactivate process every time?

Love the system, but I'm still very confused by the Vita's use of memory cards and profiles - can someone explain something to me please;

What I want to know essentially, is if I have both a US and a EU PSN account, can I buy 2 memory cards and put one account on each in order to access them? If so, is it just a case of then putting in the relevant card depending on what I wanna play, or will I need to do the whole reboot/reactivate process every time?

Im pretty sure you need to still do the whole reset thing as the vita itself needs to be set up in said account. Just switch the mem cards when you do it. There fore your bubbles will go all over the place each time and you have to watch that lovely intro movie each time.

Goffee

Banned
Still no sign of one according to metacritic or google search.

Is EA in cahoots with the whole of gaming journalism to keeps quiet about how weedy this update is? I do see the user review average is up from 0.4 to 3.8 - but seriously something is very wrong, as the game has been out for a week now!

If anyone has seen a proper review, let me know!

darkwing

Is EA in cahoots with the whole of gaming journalism to keeps quiet about how weedy this update is? I do see the user review average is up from 0.4 to 3.8 - but seriously something is very wrong, as the game has been out for a week now!

why would they review a 2011 game in 2012?

Takao

Banned

EA didn't send Vita copies to the press (for a reason), and there's too many games to review for them to buy a copy.

I posted one a few pages back if you wanna go search for it but the basics are that it's a good game but its nearly exactly the same as the launch title

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom