• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 games on PS4 : The list

OuterLimits

Yeah, this has really soured me on PS2 on PS4 games. I was really looking forward to playing Wild Arms 3 and it's basically unplayable if you aren't willing to deal with losing hours and hours of gameplay from multiple random crashes in battle. Complete waste of 15 bucks. If it doesn't get patched, I can't see myself buying any more PS2 games, even though I really wanted the Ape Escape and Wild Arms series on my PS4.

Wow. Glad to know this. I was thinking of getting the game. I have only bought Arc the Lad and Dark Cloud 2 so far. Haven't played much DK 2, but Arc seems to work ok.

Not paying $15 for WA3 though if the performance is that terrible.

Yeah, this has really soured me on PS2 on PS4 games. I was really looking forward to playing Wild Arms 3 and it's basically unplayable if you aren't willing to deal with losing hours and hours of gameplay from multiple random crashes in battle. Complete waste of 15 bucks. If it doesn't get patched, I can't see myself buying any more PS2 games, even though I really wanted the Ape Escape and Wild Arms series on my PS4.
Hmmm is this just for wild arms or are people experiencing this with other games? I have dark cloud 1&2 and rouge Galaxy and haven't had any problems

I will gladly give up trophies if it mean more releases, I imagine this is the only thing that hold back publishers from releasing tgeir back catalogue. Because they need people to actually add in those trophies.

Naw trophies are the only incentive for me to buy games here rather than just play them on my PS2.

ethomaz

Banned
Wow. Glad to know this. I was thinking of getting the game. I have only bought Arc the Lad and Dark Cloud 2 so far. Haven't played much DK 2, but Arc seems to work ok.

Not paying $15 for WA3 though if the performance is that terrible.
Performance is not bat... well it is better than original.

The crash are really specifics for some dungeons... world map and most dungeons battles won't happen. I had it four or five times in over 30 hours and three of them was in the same dungeon.

The fact you can save any time/place makes easy to be safe and lost only few minutes... so when you enter a dungeon with possibly of crash just play safe saving regularly.

Hmmm is this just for wild arms or are people experiencing this with other games? I have dark cloud 1&2 and rouge Galaxy and haven't had any problems

It's a problem specific to Wild Arms 3. AFAIK none of the other PS2 games contain crashes. Magic spells seem to be the trigger for crashes, with certain spells like Grav or monster HP stealing abilities seemingly having a higher rate to crash the game. So you could minimize crashes if you avoid using spells. The thing is, in my playthrough I wanted to make Virginia a speedy battle mage who casts as many spells as possible so I am completely fucked by this glitch if I play the game how I wanted to play it.

The only PS2 for PS4 game to get a post release patch that I know of is Rogue Galaxy, for frame rate issues. It took about 2 months after the release date for the Rogue Galaxy patch, and Wild Arms has about 2 weeks until it hits the 2 month mark, which is the point where I abandon all hope and just replay the game on a PS2.

PatjuhR

It's not the best game ever.

But I'd like to play LMA 2007 on my PS4. Would be even better if there was a squad update.

I just wish more developers come on board with this. There's so much potential here especially with JRPG's like Suikoden, Square Enix stuff.

Also I'm surprised Shadow Hearts hasn't come on or announced seeing as it was published by Sony in the first place?

By the time this generation draws to a close we will probably have just another 30-40 games emulated from PS2 which is a shame.

Tsunamo

I've given up hope on Ape Escape 2 and 3 now. Something must have happened for at least one of them to not be released by now despite being confirmed so long ago.

Tsunamo

Don't do this to me...
I really want to believe they'll come one day Sanji, I really really do, but i'm losing hope :(
i was hoping dq8 to release since there's 3 level 5 games

but this iniciative is quite dead =/
I'm assuming they'd have to get Square-Enix on board with releasing some of their games on the service if we had any chance of getting Dragon Quest 8 (which personally I'd love, that, Star Ocean 3, and Valkyrie Profile 2 on PS4 would be fantastic) but yeah it seems like publisher interest is pretty low sadly.

I'm very curious to see how PS1 releases on PS4 will do if Sony ever get around to it.

Harmen

So how is Psychonauts on PS4?

It is the ps2 version right? Does it run better and is it 1080p? Also, it seems to be widescreen but I don't recall the ps2 version being so?

kevin1025

Banned

It is the ps2 version right? Does it run better and is it 1080p? Also, it seems to be widescreen but I don't recall the ps2 version being so?

I watched a few Youtube videos, so this isn't a personal take after playing it myself. The game looks to run really well (unless there's a specific spot the game used to chug in), and it does look to be widescreen. The only downside that I see is that the graphical quality isn't quite as high as it was on Xbox and on PC, but this version looks to run really nice!

NJD316

Neo Member
Is there any chance of the Timesplitters games getting a PS4 release or is that just extreme wishful thinking on my part? I'm thinking 2 specifically because of the superior multiplayer.

Kouriozan

I've given up hope on Ape Escape 2 and 3 now. Something must have happened for at least one of them to not be released by now despite being confirmed so long ago.
Nooooo, it was the reason I re-bought a PS4 after my first one died. >.<
I'll never stop believing, I must never stop.

Ape Escape 2 trophies have appeared. Sadly no plat

https://www.exophase.com/game/ape-escape-2-ps4/trophies/
Yesssssssssss
white-kid-dance-club.gif

No plat is a bummer but o well

hughesta

Banned

Frame-rate issues in the very first hub area, so bad first impression, but otherwise it's been great. Loading times are hilariously quick, the animations on them are sped up like three times over what they were before.

Tsunamo

I wonder if we'll endup getting Jak X ever. Ratchet Deadlocked got a HD release, so it always felt like the odd spin-off from the two main PS2 Sony platformers that got neglected to me. Even Naughty Dog poked fun at it in The Last of Us.
And please don't mention trophies, I don't care for those and unlike PS2 on PS3, the PSone library on PSN is gianormous.
All i'd hope for is them being rendered in 1080p, anything else is a bonus to me. (though it would be appreciated if SCEE learnt their lesson from PS2 classics on PS4 and focused on getting US releases so we get 60hz versions unless liscencing issues pop-up)
Hope this means its releasing real soon!

Fucking hell though, why no platinum? :/ its not like its not content rich
The lower pricepoint means no platinum trophy i'd say, as silly as that sounds.

If it's a more expensive PS2 game then it's odd given how much content it has.

Wiggy

Yes looks like Ape Escape is finally coming soon, day 1 for me!

Sony need to figure out their trophy shit though, so inconsistent with this and megaman collection missing a plat and taco master getting one

Top Bottom