• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 latest UI update introduces adverts you can’t disable (Up: Confirmed bug caused this behaviour, post #301)

Banjo64

cumsessed
Update:

This update sucks. Gone is the nice artwork when you hover over the game, and you just get the stupid news articles instead. Some of them are really low-res too and it looks really ugly. Makes the home screen look terrible.

Ah, is this why I had a horribly designed PDF-text thing for FC25 all over my screen when I was going to play FC24 this weekend. Looked like a text document but it didn’t fit into the actual screen layout. I was hoping it was a bug, not a feature.

I just noticed this the other day after starting TLOU Part 1. After a couple of hours playing it, I backed out to the dashboard and I see Neil Druckman and the cast of the TV show as the background when hovering over the game and was very confused.

I checked my other games and they had it as well and most of the background images have changed to these shitty thumbnails from the news and covers up the unique art that made each game feel like it had its own “theme”

Last edited by a moderator:

FeralEcho

I noticed this last night with River City Girls 2 where instead of the game's artwork it was some advertising post of the game's 4 player co-op update...I thought nothing of it but I can see how this can be used in the worst possible ways on certain games.

WTF is Sony doing...

C2EysYE.jpeg

Last edited:

coffinbirth

Why is this point bothering you guys? It will make more sales for games. Im not even a Sony fan anymore but bidness is bidness.
How does advertising streaming services "make more sales for games"?
OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.... It doesn't.

It just makes more money for Sony by giving their customers a worse experience.

It took you less than a minute to do that backflip, btw.

bitbydeath

How does advertising streaming services "make more sales for games"?
OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.... It doesn't.

It just makes more money for Sony by giving their customers a worse experience.

It took you less than a minute to do that backflip, btw.
It’s just displaying content around the same IP.

“You like this game, here’s where you can find more if it.”

Not everyone is as connected as we are.

SJRB

Gold Member

How are any of these examples ads?

“Oh no, if I hover over Warhammer 40k it loads a video of the voice actor explaining lore of the very game I selected!”

“Ah dangit, an accolades trailer for final fantasy when I hover over Final Fantasy, redonc”

It’s just related content.

Banjo64

cumsessed
How are any of these examples ads?

“Oh no, if I hover over Warhammer 40k it loads a video of the voice actor explaining lore of the very game I selected!”

“Ah dangit, an accolades trailer for final fantasy when I hover over Final Fantasy, redonc”

It’s just related content.
Please read the second half of the title where it says ‘forced news feeds’.

Filben

I liked how the immersion started even before you launched a game: soundtrack, cool artwork. This was a great way and good idea to present a game.

If you need dynamic news feeds to feel connected and/or up to date it should be optional. Or the UI should show a new button like "explore (the franchise)" and then show you this stuff.

Changing a good thing completely sucks.

As i keep saying; Arrogant Sony is already here because Xbox is blocking any real new competitor from showing up. Sony can feel safe and secure knowing that Xbox would keep Amazon and Apple at bay for them, safe from any real competition, for as long as Xbox keeps the third spot seat warm.

You want competition? Tell Xbox to go third party so someone else can have a chance. Until then, Sony is basically hiring Xbox to keep competition away.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Don’t read it, just click X and boot the game up.
Does anyone really stare at the current wallpaper on end?
It was just nice artwork from game since in PS5 you no longer can change themes and but now we can’t even enjoy have that.

It just give us option to turn it back to normal, I don’t think that’s too much to ask.

Last edited:

SweetTooth

Gold Member
What? I have been using my PS5 daily since the update and I have no idea whats the issue here? Im sure its a minor thing that being blown out of proportions.

This is a slippery slope. Obviously all big tech corps are doing this, not just Sony. They gradually make your experience worse and push anything they think they can get away with. It's not only annoying ads, it's also collecting your personal data and selling it off. It's exposing your data to security risks that wouldn't be there if they didn't spray all of it throughout the internet and to dubious data brokers. They make your devices non maintainable, because planned obsolescence is in their best interest. They want your childrens data so they advertise family friendly accounts on your devices. They give you so much convenience on all these devices in order to make you feel dependent on their tech, so you give them more of your usage data for free which they turn into billions behind your back. They keep you engaged for their performance metrics by messing with your mental health. They are literally sucking out all your energy and positivity in order to report growth for the next quarterly report.

Top Bottom