• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 latest UI update introduces adverts you can’t disable (Up: Confirmed bug caused this behaviour, post #301)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This is a horrible mess even if its game related. Who the hell wants a wall paper full of game review ratings?

7ZA3TCH.jpeg

This is horrible, this needs an option for users to decide if they want to revert to the previous option.

It is not Ads per se though, they are not advertising unrelated content or trying to market something else… I could understand if it helpfully grounded the game but this is not it and it is poor.
Yelling “greedy Sony”, “look at them ads”, or the evergreen “arrogant Sony is back!” for the 1,248th time though shows a bit of extra thirst for blood and anything remotely red can do.
I could write a post on how this morning Phil Spencer attempted to kill my PS5 remotely and it would feel at home with some of the threads lately (“I was charging my Starfield Xbox Series X controller to it and I tripped on the cable which was running on the floor as it was plugged to the front USB port and that never happened when I was charging Dual Sense controllers and who makes the Xbox controller? That is right Phil…” we are reaching this kind of level of crazy correlation, but do not stop the fun on my behalf :p).

Last edited:

Soodanim

This is a horrible mess even if its game related. Who the hell wants a wall paper full of game review ratings?

7ZA3TCH.jpeg
It's a bit late for reviews and scores when you've already paid for and installed the game. Who's the target audience other than the dev blowing themselves?

At least when that awful Batman case was covered in ratings it was to advertise to potential customers, and once the disc was in the case didn't matter.

Fahdis

How does advertising streaming services "make more sales for games"?
OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.... It doesn't.

It just makes more money for Sony by giving their customers a worse experience.

It took you less than a minute to do that backflip, btw.
Ugh, it was literally the next post.

No.

😂😂 You dweebies didnt catch my sarcasm eh. Console gaming for me is dead. Good on Sony for treating everyone including me like trash. We deserve it of course.

Girl Interview GIF by SV Bergheim 1906

midnightAI

Isn't this per developer? As in Sony is allowing developers to display content they want you to see when you hover over the game? (Ie. Sony allows them to have a background image, display text content etc. and it's up to the developer themselves how they use (abuse) that?)

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
What i care about the most is the friggin' removal of "resume activity" function - why, just why did they have to remove it ?

It would take you straight to your last save in just a couple of seconds whereas now, you have to freaking watch every unskippable start-up logo AND go through extra loading screens...

It was (almost) the equivalent of Xbox's quick resume feature ffs, so, i ask again, WHY the fuck did they remove it ?

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Looks like a bug, since the EA Play ads has old information. On the other hand, the rest of it is game related per game page. Developers already had the option to change background when new content was out.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

What i care about the most is the friggin' removal of "resume activity" function - why, just why did they have to remove it ?

It would take you straight to your last save in just a couple of seconds whereas now, you have to freaking watch every unskippable start-up logo AND go through extra loading screens...

It was (almost) the equivalent of Xbox's quick resume feature ffs, so, i ask again, WHY the fuck did they remove it ?
That feature still works for me.
Is that part of the slow rollout update?

Bojji

7ZA3TCH.jpeg

My Eyes Pain GIF

Yep, the best part about PS5 ui was that it looked really slick. Now I have seen fucking lego horizon image in Horizon ZD (that had good artwork before), WTF...

Don't see what the big deal is. Just close your eyes and pretend the ads are not there. Works for me.

images

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Yeah this only just got activated on mine in the UK. It looks to be a news feed on steroids. Some games are showing feeds from months ago like GT7. Others are showing other service/game announcements & adverts. Unfortunately following or unfollowing makes no difference. I'm suspecting this may be a bug as the last update contained ui changes, which were to be switched on post update as and when during worldwide rollout.

If it isn't then I'll be likely cancelling my Pro order. I'm very much against forced advertising.

Mr Hyde

I saw this too. On FF7 Rebirth they're suddenly pushing a behind the scenes documentary on YouTube instead of the usual artwork. I don't want shit like that on the UI. Stick it to the media tab instead. Revert this shit ASAP Sony!

thatJohann

I don’t see the problem. It’s just when you highlight the game icon and you’re gonna just press X anyway to start it. Don’t even have to stare at it. I find it interesting to see news about the game I bought so I welcome the change.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
The outrage over this is hyperbole. If you don’t want to see the ad then just launch the game you want to play. Sony making some goodwill gesture and help you save time from doing research on what great PS5 games to buy next, and y’all acting as if your eyes will get burn if you stare for more than 2 secs

This is such a reach, what idiot spends their time hovering over the games icon trying to decide what to play???

I turn on the console, move to the game I want and then press X to launch the game. Maybe I’ll be nosy and check the friends tab to see who else owns it but that’s about it.

Last edited:

ElFenomeno

Yeah, absolute crap. If you notice, the ad is for FF7 rebirth in the FF7 remake menu stating Out 29 February lol.
Plus on a big TV it looks awful, low resolution.

This is such a reach, what idiot spends their time hovering over the games icon trying to decide what to play???

I turn on the console, move to the game I want and then press X to launch the game. Maybe I’ll be nosy and check the friends tab to see who else owns it but that’s about it.
So you're cool with me putting a giant ad for hemorrhoid's covering your front door? You're not staring at your front door like an idiot all day so its probably OK.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
If is something like Windows do - just a banner here and there on the corner, it doesn't do harm to the eyes

If is something like WWE did one time(?), it shows how Sony sucks

makaveli60

I always say I want the ps4 dreamteam back, but this is starting to be so bad that soon we will be thinking of the ps3 starting years as glorious compared to what we have now.

nemiroff

Gold Member
It's a bit puzzling that they feel they need to use the full background for that..

From a UX/UI designer's perspective it doesn't even make sense, cognitively it would be more efficient to compact and compartmentalize the information.

Last edited:
Yeah, absolute crap. If you notice, the ad is for FF7 rebirth in the FF7 remake menu stating Out 29 February lol.
Plus on a big TV it looks awful, low resolution.

So you're cool with me putting a giant ad for hemorrhoid's covering your front door? You're not staring at your front door like an idiot all day so its probably OK.

Big difference is there is an expectation of designing and displaying the front of your house to the neighborhood. It’s only been going on for ehhhh centuries. Only thing that’s even close is the ugly sticker some cities make you put on the side of your house to indicate that you’ve paid your property taxes for the year.

Regardless this is outrage that exceeds the function of the user. You should care more about what’s in your game than the 2 seconds it should take to launch it.

Bojji

*Opens Steam*
*Sees Special Offers ad*
*Closes Steam*
You can disable that, as well as make it so Steam opens on the library section instead of the store.

Yep, I hate it but as long as it can be disabled there is no problem.

Edit: I forgot about PS+ subscription in my previous post, you pay for it and STILL see the ads. Hahaha.

Last edited:
Top Bottom