• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 latest UI update introduces adverts you can’t disable (Up: Confirmed bug caused this behaviour, post #301)

Badlucktroll

Gold Member
iu

Mr Moose

You can disable that, as well as make it so Steam opens on the library section instead of the store.
I'll probably keep it on, sometimes shows some stuff I am interested in.

Is the ad thing on here the "Official News" thing? I am seeing that, not different backgrounds though. GT7 has news about 1.49 which I think is old (1.5 now?).
So the publishers can plug shit using the "Official News" rather than updates about the game?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Yeah I do the same. It's hard to keep up with all the news in the gaming world so it's fine to get a reminder on the latest stuff when opening Steam.

Is the ad thing on here the "Official News" thing? I am seeing that, not different backgrounds though. GT7 has news about 1.49 which I think is old (1.5 now?).
So the publishers can plug shit using the "Official News" rather than updates about the game?
Looks like it! Thing is some cheeky publishers like Square seem to be using it to advertise their other games, like the Rebirth ad on Remake's page.

Not Sony's fault, but imo they should either curate the content that's displayed there, or just offer the option to turn it off.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Go to HZD and you'll see full screen LEGO advert. Go to BL3 and you'll see a full screen BL4 advert.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Sony needs to step up their ads on console game tho, MS clearly in the lead there:

ap3ST6q.jpeg

That example is a classic cognitive barrier the user would tend to feel forced to climb over to get to the desired destination. But at least it appear to be a special occasion type screen, not something that pops up every time you browse a different game in your library?

Last edited:

Brucey

That example is a classic cognitive barrier the user would tend to feel forced to climb over to get to the desired destination. But at least it appear to be a special occasion type screen, not something that pops up every time you browse a different game in your library?
That one popped up at console startup I believe.

Unknown?

Are you here just to troll? That is not a solution whatsoever. It's an annoyance I don't like. I often let my PS5 open to play the game's theme soundtrack in the background or just to have the wallpaper on the display. It's a nice and immersive gaming experience.
I think you're a troll. You leave it on the dashboard for a gaming "experience"?! Nothing about looking at the wallpaper is gaming.

That said it does ruin the look of the game on the dash.

foamdino

I've not seen this myself - perhaps not rolled-out to the UK yet?

However it sucks - I enjoy looking at the lovely game artwork on the title card/page - Unicorn Overlord, Atelier Ryza etc - great art work as backgrounds, taking that away to push an ad sucks. Bad Sony! (smack's Sony's nose with rolled up paper)

Pandawan

Neo Member
This is a slippery slope. Obviously all big tech corps are doing this, not just Sony. They gradually make your experience worse and push anything they think they can get away with. It's not only annoying ads, it's also collecting your personal data and selling it off. It's exposing your data to security risks that wouldn't be there if they didn't spray all of it throughout the internet and to dubious data brokers. They make your devices non maintainable, because planned obsolescence is in their best interest. They want your childrens data so they advertise family friendly accounts on your devices. They give you so much convenience on all these devices in order to make you feel dependent on their tech, so you give them more of your usage data for free which they turn into billions behind your back. They keep you engaged for their performance metrics by messing with your mental health. They are literally sucking out all your energy and positivity in order to report growth for the next quarterly report.

cySyI0i.png

Last edited:

Astray

Supremely retarded update, doesn't even look elegant and well-thought of, just some dude farting out an ad update with zero thought put into it.

Looks like it is just ads about the game you’re hovering over? Trailers, DLC etc
Yeah, which kinda makes it utterly pointless lol. I already bought the game what are you even planning to do here re:ad conversion?

Last edited:

Duchess

The reason why so many people aren't seeing this yet is because it's linked to the new "Welcome" screen that Sony is rolling out. Right now, it's only been rolled out to the US. The rest of us can expect this bullshit to hit us in the coming months (unless Sony comes to their senses before then).

omegasc

It's a bit late for reviews and scores when you've already paid for and installed the game. Who's the target audience other than the dev blowing themselves?

At least when that awful Batman case was covered in ratings it was to advertise to potential customers, and once the disc was in the case didn't matter.
Suggestion, I guess. I might be off, but people may look at those scores and get a tendency to like the game even more, and recommend to others even using those scores as argument.

ComboBongo

Neo Member
The visuals on some of them are really bad, but outside of that, what is the big deal? It’s news about the game.
The full bleed key art is replaced with "news" which is mostly out of date. It ruins the aesthetic of the PS5 UI as it's centred around full bleed art for game hubs. The news feed has always been there by going down. It turns what was more of a premium experience into something much much less.

Three

The logic here is more of a problem than the intent.

Advertising a property you already purchased when you select it, doesn’t make logical sense.
It's not. It's FF7 Remake advertising Rebirth. It's Star Wars Battlefront advertising EA Play and other EA Star Wars games. The Warhammer one isn't an ad but just a video about the game. I doubt Sony is even getting ad revenue from these it's just the publishers using the platform to promote their other games/services through the added possibility of live backgrounds for games.

Last edited:

Bojji

Yeah Playstation fanboys are getting annoying as fuck.

They are no much different than Xbox fanboys are used to be a long time ago.

This is what happens when your favorite company is doing one dumb/anti consumer shit right after another. They are jumping through hoops to defend it.

fireringfail-oldschool.gif

Xbox fans were doing this for years but now MS fucked up so much that most of them probably gave up.

Topher

Gold Member
The visuals on some of them are really bad, but outside of that, what is the big deal? It’s news about the game.

It's not though. I shouldn't see an ad of review scores for Rebirth when I select Remake. That's not "news". Otherwise, why would I even need to see ads about a game I already bought?

Last edited:
The full bleed key art is replaced with "news" which is mostly out of date. It ruins the aesthetic of the PS5 UI as it's centred around full bleed art for game hubs. The news feed has always been there by going down. It turns what was more of a premium experience into something much much less.

Charlie Day Ok GIF

This seems like a stretch. Just from the examples I've been seeing it's just an "ad" of the game you're over.... I haven't even noticed anything after the latest update myself, and I know I would have noticed if it was actual Ads which took away from my experience.

Edit: Just checked the 10 games on my PS5 and yeah as I thought. All the "ads" are literally just either dlc for that game, or patch notes about the latest update.

Last edited:

nnytk

It's sad to see stuff like this being pushed, such obtrusive, ugly, cacaphonic, visually bombarded layouts. If Sony want to be "premium" it should make sure its (ui) DESIGNS reflect that. Minimalism is key.

Top Bottom