• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Pricing Discussion Thread

SonGoku

I love how people get so upset and take this shit personally, simply don't buy it. This not meant to be a mass market console, the regular PS5 will remain the bread winner for Sony. Besides just like the PS VR2, it will go on sale and see huge spike in sales.
With its specs its weirdly positioned where its not a enthusiast machine either so who is it aimed at exactly? Previously Cerny said PS4 Pro intended to prevent people from jumping to PC but with these specs and price might as well spend a couple extra hundred dollars to get a more capable PC with cheaper games and free online
Of course because they are selling you only a standalone GPU equivalent to a 4060ti performance...
Its a poorly positioned product with poor value, at $700

Last edited:

scydrex

With its specs its weirdly positioned where its not a enthusiast machine either so who is it aimed at exactly? Previously Cerny said Pro was to prevent people from jumping to PC but with these specs and price might as well spend a couple extra hundred dollars to get a more capable PC with cheaper games and free online

Its a poorly positioned product with poor value, at $700
Ok so if i have $700-800 do i buy a ps5 pro or build a PC to play games?

Last edited:
With its specs its weirdly positioned where its not a enthusiast machine either so who is it aimed at exactly? Previously Cerny said Pro was to prevent people from jumping to PC but with these specs and price might as well spend a couple extra hundred dollars to get a more capable PC with cheaper games and free online

You are not getting a more capable PC for $900

A GPU is NOT a FULL PC

Last edited:

GHound

Wow. Even I didn't expect the price to be that high and I expect nothing from current year Sony other than poor decisions and them randomly making it mandatory in the ToS to offer up one's first/next born child as tribute to the ghost in the machine.
It's pretty insane to think that developers may be just crazy enough to optimize for a system that will only sell out because scalpers need to pay their mortgage.

CLW

Personally the value is questionable to me and if MS was in anything other than a shit show I doubt they try that price

Inflation 2020 to now that’s probably about the same as $600 in 2020 dollars but you lose a disk drive but gain a tb ssd

Gonna have to think about this one before I just blindly preorder which is something for this Sony Pony lifer

proandrad

I don’t think most gamers are the target audience for this product. Sony has a lot of older fans that grew up on PlayStation and are much older now with disposable income. As someone with no kids in his 30s, $700 is not a big deal, that is less than your average new car note per month. As a teenager I same a similar reaction to the PS3 price. The difference here is that there is a cheaper alternative that plays the same games. If this can give me games at quality mode resolution with performance framerates, it will be worth every penny.

Del_X

I partly blame Nvidia because holy hell this pricing is atrocious. I'm pretty damn confident the PS6 will launch with pricing similar, now.

I don’t think most gamers are the target audience for this product. Sony has a lot of older fans that grew up on PlayStation and are much older now with disposable income. As someone with no kids in his 30s, $700 is not a big deal, that is less than your average new car note per month. As a teenager I same a similar reaction to the PS3 price. The difference here is that there is a cheaper alternative that plays the same games. If this can give me games at quality mode resolution with performance framerates, it will be worth every penny.
I was the target audience for PS4 Pro and that’s why I bought it at launch. I had a 4K TV even in 2015, and bought another 4K TV to replace it with in 2016.

I am still absolutely the target audience for the PS5 Pro.

The only difference is this time, the PS5 Pro is so unreasonably priced - it’s to the point I’m questioning if it’s even worth it. That was never a question for me with the PS4 Pro. I never even thought about the price. Nobody did. And that console was a significantly bigger technical leap over the base model.

I’m confident PS5 Pro alienates a ton of people that were the “target audience” simply due to its price alone. This thing will not be as successful as the PS4 Pro was.

Last edited:

Barakov

Sony buddy
Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Seem like it's new PC time for me.

proandrad

I was the target audience for PS4 Pro and that’s why I bought it at launch. I had a 4K TV even in 2015, and bought another 4K TV to replace it with in 2016.

I am still absolutely the target audience for the PS5 Pro.

The only difference is this time, the PS5 Pro is completely unreasonably priced to the point I’m questioning if it’s even worth it. That was never a question for me with the PS4 Pro. I never even thought about the price. Nobody did. And that console was a significantly bigger leap.
Did the same thing, PS4 Pro and the Sony Bravia x800D based on neogaf recommendation. God of War with HDR for the first time was amazing.

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
To demonstrate how abysmal this value proposition is, the PS4 Pro, which increased output from 1080p to 4k,
It did not. The "4K" was almost always checkerboarded and had internal res of 1800p at maximum. It was not native, and the framerate bumps were rare.

was priced at $400, which was the launch price of the original PS4. AND, the PS4 got a price cut.
And then it went on to barely sell 12 million units.

Its a sony without competition. A dogshit one at that
Blame Xbox for their stupidity and Nintendo for gouging by other means under the guise of "creativity".

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

A GPU is NOT a FULL PC
Except a PC can do far more than a console, so it’s inherently far more valuable if they have the same gaming performance. That’s why consoles should always strive to have a much better value proposition than PCs for gaming because they can’t do anything else.

graywolf323

Yeah, Sony's going to need to focus on showing what is coming up so it gets people excited and they want to play it on the latest/best.
I think their biggest mistake today was not just announcing the State of Play for next week if that’s legit happening, or at least just saying something about how there will be new games being shown in the coming weeks (TGS is only 2 weeks away after all)

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I bet Sony have the metrics that indicated PS4 Pro owners were more likely to favour digital libraries over disc, hence decision to go with the extra 1TB over a disc drive.

Price is what it is, you either think it's worth the value or you don't, I think they'll sell a decent amount. There is no need for them to go too low on the Pro, if they subsidise any hardware it needs to be the base as that is what drives people over from legacy devices. Pro is just keeping the more technically inclined consumer interested so they don't look elsewhere.

Ebrietas

PS5 with drive still costs $500. Pro was always going to be at least $600 even in the best case scenario. Instead they went a bit higher. I still don't see $700 as outrageous though. Looking at iPads, smartphones, computers, etc. there is usually a similar delta when moving up from one performance tier to the next. Not sure why a pro console has to be different..

I think maybe the lack of the disc drive is what is throwing people off. If it were instead 1TB with the drive included at $700 the perception might have been different. The console feels less complete without the drive, whereas the extra 1TB of storage doesn't seem as much of an upgrade. But then maybe Sony has data showing the vast majority of potential buyers of a pro console are overwhelmingly digital.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

No the conversation absolutely goes together.

Is the ps5 pro a good mid gen refresh for £800 with a disk drive?

Absolutely not. It's a joke.
Yep, it’s a ridiculous pricing proposition. I can easily afford this , but I ain’t paying Sony for this overpriced shit with Zen2 CPU.

Throw in extra $€£200 on top and you will get a very competent PC minus the monitor, but you can easily hook it up to a TV. And a PC can do so much more than a console.

PC gamers don't have to buy a "full PC" to upgrade like console gamers do.

Depends on the starting point

Of course if you change components every year, you don't need a full PC

But how much money does it cost to change components every year or two?

Last edited:
Putting the "reasonableness" of the price point aside for a moment, this feels like the wrong combination of features for what will ostensibly be - for most people who would actually consider buying it - an upgrade of something they already own. I couldn't find data to support this, but basic marketing logic would suggest that there have been far more PS5s sold than PS5 Digital Edition, which means that the PS5 Pro will lack a feature that is present on the console that most of the target customer base currently has. Conversely, all PS5 owners (regardless of version) already have at least one DualSense controller, so the PS5 Pro including another one that they probably don't need doesn't seem worthwhile.

A better package at any price point, I think, would have been to include the disc drive, and not include a DualSense (they're already sold separately for whoever needs one). Personally, I would also prefer to have half the storage space and have the console be $50 cheaper (1TB is still more than the 800GB of current PS5).

Orangee

Neo Member
ONE GAME
I DON'T KNOW WHY
I BOUGHT A PS5 WITH NO GAMES TO BUY
KEEP THAT IN MIND THEY DESIGNED THIS DRIVE
TO IMPROVE LOADING TIMES
THAT'S ALL I KNOW

CONSOLE EXCLUSIVES ARE KEY
WATCH EM FLY BY AS THEY PORT TO PC
LOSE EXCLUSIVES AT THE END OF THE GEN
I HAVE NO GAMES TO PLAY
IT'S SO UNFAIR

DIDN'T LOOK OUT BELOW
THROW MY PRO RIGHT OUT THE WINDOW
TRY TO HOLD ON BUT I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW
I WASTED IT ALL JUST TO WATCH MOVIES

I SPEND ALL MY TIME INSIDE
NOW THAT LAUNCH HYPE HAS DIED, ALL I SEE ARE PORTS
JUST LIKE THE PS3, IT'S REMINDING ME, OF A MEMORY, OF A TIME WHEN
I CRIED SO HARD, FOR GAMES AT LAUNCH
BUT IN THE END, IT'S JUST GOT NO GAMES
BOUGHT PS PLUS, AND PAID SO MUCH

ONE GAME, I DON'T KNOW WHY
THAT FEELS TO HARD TO GET, I JUST WANT TO BUY
NEW GAMES TO TRY WHILE CONFINED INSIDE
BUT IT SERVES TO REMIND THAT I
BOUGHT THIS BRICK

IN SPITE OF THE PEOPLE WHO HAD TOLD ME
NOT TO BUY A NEW CONSOLE ON RELEASE
REMEMBERING ALL THE GOOD TIMES WITH SONY
I'M SURPRISED IT GOT SO BAD

THINGS AREN'T THE WAY THEY WERE BEFORE
YOU WOULDN'T EVEN RECOGNIZE THE PS4
THE BEST GAMES WENT MULTIPLATFORM
BUT IT ALL COMES BACK TO THE GOD DAMN GAMES

I'VE PUT MY TRUST IN YOU
PAID AS MUCH AS I COULD PAY
FOR ALL THIS
THERE'S ONLY ONE THING I CAN SAY

I'VE PUT MY TRUST IN YOU
FOR ALL THIS

FunkMiller

It’s a fucking ridiculous price for a console that is literally pointless beyond a frame rate bump and minimal fidelity improvements.

Greedy, arrogant Sony back in full force.

reinking

Gold Member
ONE GAME
I DON'T KNOW WHY
TO IMPROVE LOADING TIMES
THAT'S ALL I KNOW

I HAVE NO GAMES TO PLAY
IT'S SO UNFAIR

DIDN'T LOOK OUT BELOW

BOUGHT THIS BRICK

I'VE PUT MY TRUST IN YOU
FOR ALL THIS

I'VE PUT MY TRUST IN YOU
FOR ALL THIS

caps GIF

Fbh

At that price I'd rather just save up more and get a PC.
The appeal of consoles to me is the cheap price for the hardware. It's what makes me accept stuff like WAY more expensive games (Steam, Epic, GOG have great regional pricing where I live) and paying $80 a year for basic features like online play and cloud saves.

Once we get into the $800+ territory for the hardware it gets harder to accept all the downsides of consoles

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

A GPU is NOT a FULL PC

I don't know if you are in the uk but I do know that around black Friday in the uk you will be able to get bundle deals for £999 that aren't far off the ps5 pro.

Say

Amd ryzen 5600x
16gb memory
1tb nvme
Rtx 4060Ti
Keyboard and mouse, 1080p 120hz monitor

I bet a lot of people go with those kinds of systems

Blade2.0

So people wanted a Pro console, they just didn't want to pay for one?
I think we are having the wrong conversation here.

Is the PS5 Pro a good mid-gen upgrade or is it not? If not, then it doesn't matter what price they ask.
I'm pretty sure most people assumed it would take the PS4 Pro route. Replace the OG PS4 at the same price as it launched at and then reduce the price of the OG PS4 by $100. So, PS5 pro should launch at $500 and the PS5 should go to $400. I'm pretty sure until this price point happens, this console is not going to sell much at all.

ZehDon

Sony's won the console war, and they know there's no competition until Xbox's next-gen hardware lands - and even then, they know Microsoft won't be looking to compete.

USD$699, disc drive as an optional purchase, is not off the table.
Looks like I was spot on in the speculation thread.
Sony knows they can charge whatever they want now. The sales of the Pro will directly inform the PS6 pricing.

KINGMOKU

Well this certainly throws a stick in the gears. Was waiting to see what the price was, as I'm bailing on Microsoft completely, and, well, nope.

All I wanted to do was play BO6 warzone console only. Its still cross gen, so I'll probably just pick up a used PS4, and wait until the PS6 to completely jump ship.

Unless of course that thing is 700$+.

.Xeno

Neo Member
Waiting to see the price for AUS, I got the PS4 Pro at launch it was ok but this time I think I'll pass and stick with PS5 and PC.

Calverz

ONE GAME
I DON'T KNOW WHY
TO IMPROVE LOADING TIMES
THAT'S ALL I KNOW

I HAVE NO GAMES TO PLAY
IT'S SO UNFAIR

DIDN'T LOOK OUT BELOW

BOUGHT THIS BRICK

I'VE PUT MY TRUST IN YOU
FOR ALL THIS

I'VE PUT MY TRUST IN YOU
FOR ALL THIS

Winning Linkin Park GIF by Spotify

Duchess

So, if I put £70 into my piggy bank each month, I can buy one of these in summer 2025. Earlier, if I trade in my PS5.

Fabieter

Sony shows how lost they are rn so i expect the best combo switch 2 and pc being the main domination going forward.

Sony had a good run but this ain't it.

Last edited:

Parazels

Except a PC can do far more than a console, so it’s inherently far more valuable if they have the same gaming performance. That’s why consoles should always strive to have a much better value proposition than PCs for gaming because they can’t do anything else.
I would hate to work and play on the same shitty device (I mean a Windows PC).

Fabieter

It's insane, how only $100 separate the camp "Shut up and take my money" from the camp "No way"!

It's supposed to have good value. At one point you have to say no its not even if its not needed but I didn't need a ps5 for most of the generation either.

Parazels

It's supposed to have good value. At one point you have to say no its not even if its not needed but I didn't need a ps5 for most of the generation either.
You sell your old console for $300, then add $400 for the next 4 years of happiness ($100 per year).
Is it that expensive?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Here I thought spending $80 for Plus was a bit much. Now it would cost me close to $1,000 just to get back to where I was before my Plus expired.

I don’t exactly want Plus back for the free games. I just want backups and sometimes online coop.

Their grand vision is basically a price increase to say you’re maxing out games you more than likely already beat by now. I don’t need to spend $700 for perks on games I won’t replay. The new stuff I’ll be fine where I was.

I have a feeling like they’re missing the mark. It might sound great, but they’re looking at a couple things.

1. Fewer people wanting to upgrade besides those in the know.
2. Fewer people switching to their Live Service games.
3. Fewer Plus subs because that $80 cost for what you actually get isn’t all that amazing. (Which has probably helped their sales of Plus due to their restricted services).

I’ve never bad mouthed Sony PS openly. I’ve been on the band wagon for decades. A part of me feels like their heads are getting too big for their shoulders with these expected price hikes.

Top Bottom