• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Pricing Discussion Thread

Sony doesn’t need to encourage much

It’ll run better without much effort at all

So it will get widely supported by default

Not if developers don't take advantage of the better optimised RT features or just use FSR2 for upscaling instead of PSSR. Not every PS4 game had PS4 Pro support and that console will likely have had a much larger install base than the PS5 Pro will due to its price. It's not clear yet if PSSR is a system level setting that can be forced and 'overrides' FSR2 in all PS5 games but, my guess, is that it will be something that needs to be added on a per-game basis via updates, just like VRR on PS5 (which really should have been a system level setting like on Xbox One/Xbox Series in my opinion).

proandrad

There was no Pro equivalent iPhones in 2013.

That class of iPhone wasn’t introduced until 2017 and it was introduced at a $999 price

The same price as the current Pro models are today, 7 years later.
No it depends on your definition of a pro model. Apple has had S versions of phones and plus versions of phones. Each could fit into a pro category depending on on your definition. This doesn’t even take into account storage options and wireless companies subsidizing the purchase. You should use something else if you want to make a direct comparison.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Not if developers don't take advantage of the better optimised RT features or just use FSR2 for upscaling instead of PSSR. Not every PS4 game had PS4 Pro support and that console will likely have had a much larger install base than the PS5 Pro will due to its price. It's not clear yet if PSSR is a system level setting that can be forced and 'overrides' FSR2 in all PS5 games but, my guess, is that it will be something that needs to be added on a per-game basis via updates, just like VRR on PS5 (which really should have been a system level setting like on Xbox One/Xbox Series in my opinion).

Not every game will maximally use pro but you’re going to get fidelity modes at performance frame rates at a minimum

Vick

Gold Member
If the GPU is the only bottleneck and the game had "spare" frames on the locked 30fps, like R&C, yes.
But he promised no more choice between Fidelity and Performance, not just for "some games like R&C".

If this PS5 Pro doesn't turn every 4K Fidelity Mode into rock solid 60fps, then I'll have to reconsider my stance on this machine.

For the time being, I have no other choice than to trust this man.

Mad Max Reaction GIF

Fahdis

I'm keen to know considering the pricing of the PS5 Pro is causing a lot of controversy and was also a shock to many it looks like.

Even though we don't know how much of an edge PSSR and the bespoke RT technology will give the Pro what's the cost of something that would bring about similar performance on PC? (including a 2TB SSD).
PS5 Pro price:
$ 699.99
$ 950 CAD
£ 699.99
€ 799.99
¥ 119,980

You could start at PC Parts Picker. I would say the Pro is at 3060 levels. Don't know if other PC folks would agree.

Last edited:

RavionUHD

I'm keen to know considering the pricing of the PS5 Pro is causing a lot of controversy and was also a shock to many it looks like.

Even though we don't know how much of an edge PSSR and the bespoke RT technology will give the Pro what's the cost of something that would bring about similar performance on PC? (including a 2TB SSD).
PS5 Pro price:
$ 699.99
$ 950 CAD
£ 699.99
€ 799.99
¥ 119,980
In Germany, a similar PC, but with faster Zen 3 CPU and 32GB Ram with case would cost around 900 Euro, which is less then what the PS5 Pro costs with stand and drive expansion (950 Euro):

1725991280523-png.1469307

A much faster PC with RTX 4070 would cost around ~1050 Euro:

1725991008860-png.1469306

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

How's it bait? I think it's a fair discussion to have considering we're looking at higher cost hardware going forward and these discussions are here to stay.

It's a good for those less informed like myself to figure out what is fair value.

I've never owned a gaming PC and I'm genuinely curious as I have the option to either upgrade to the Pro or to go the PC route down the line.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Then why was the PS4 Pro $399 then if they didn’t care to “take a loss” on it.

Probably because it coincided with a time when the economics on the supply side were more favourable and they could justify taking more of a hit because of the upsell on 4K/HDR TV's.

If you want to be more cynical you could take the view that it was additionally justified based on there being actual competition from Xbox for 4k gaming at that time.

Either way 2016 and 2024 are very different times. Its kinda obvious to be honest.

The bottom line is if you can afford a high-end gaming PC, then the price should not be considered the least bit surprising or unreasonable.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
But he promised no more choice between Fidelity and Performance, not just for "some games like R&C".

If this PS5 Pro doesn't turn every 4K Fidelity Mode into rock solid 60fps, then I'll have to reconsider my stance on this machine.

For the time being, I have no other choice than to trust this man.
For GPU intensive games, maybe.

Preorder now and get the disc drive for free.
giphy-2024-09-10-T221138-481.gif

What are they smoking??
If I want to play my physical games on the PS5 Pro I have to f****** pay 920€.🤦😡

Gunstar75

Neo Member
The current price of the digital PS5 is $450, right.
Now add an extra TB of storage.
Add the cost of going from 2070 super to RTX 8700.
Add machine learning.
Upgrade WiFi 7.
Adding faster ram cost.

All this adds up to a $700 console. Where I think Sony dropped the ball is the packing game, everyone has the original Astro bots game, give us something better.

No it depends on your definition of a pro model. Apple has had S versions of phones and plus versions of phones. Each could fit into a pro category depending on on your definition. This doesn’t even take into account storage options and wireless companies subsidizing the purchase. You should use something else if you want to make a direct comparison.
You know this is a disingenuous argument.

In 2016 the iPhone 7 was $649
In 2016 the iPhone 7 Plus was $769

In 2017 the iPhone 8 was $699
In 2017 the iPhone 8 Plus was $799
In 2017 the iPhone X was $999

Tell me, which 2017 iPhone was the direct successor to the iPhone 7?

sainraja

The thing we all have to decide for ourselves is this. Are you OK with the upgrade that the PS5 Pro is? If you can't justify it right now, then it is best to wait and let Sony show us why they are charging $699.99. It is their job to show us that.

From a conversation I saw in this thread on phones, it made me wonder, why aren't consoles following a similar upgrade cycle as an iPhone from year to year? If it is a yearly type of upgrade, Sony or any other console maker should be able to keep the asking price relatively the same and they could get "rid" of generations altogether; with a platform that probably won't show a huge upgrade from one year to the next, but if you compared 4 years, then you'd see how much of an upgrade it was and it would be profitable for the company making the console and hopefully satisfactory for people interested, because of the price, since price always seems to be a big factor.

I like and enjoy gaming so I will likely get the PS5 Pro. I do wish it was cheaper so I could get it sooner or hopefully trade-in offers are good, but anyway, that is a decision for November.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
I was really shocked about the 800€, but i was willing to pay that, until i noticed it doesn’t come with the dic drive or even the vertical stand.

Go_Ly_Dow

In Germany, a similar PC, but with faster Zen 3 CPU and 32GB Ram with case would cost around 900 Euro, which is less then what the PS5 Pro costs with stand and drive expansion (950 Euro):

1725991280523-png.1469307

A much faster PC with RTX 4070 would cost around ~1050 Euro:

1725991008860-png.1469306
Okay thanks, so going by this they're seemingly selling the Pro at probably either break even or marginal profit pricing you would think which is reasonable.

If people want better they're games to look more shiny and run more sleekily then they're going to have to get used to paying for it, in both consoles and in the PC space. :pie_thinking:

Look no further than this forum. There is a segment of gamers who will pay anything for sony and thinks sony can do no wrong. Supporting this greed is dooming the future of gaming.

Also calling people poor or saying the disc drive is dated anyway is just insane, chill out with that. Everyone has different reasons for the way they do things, just because you play digital doesnt mean everyone else does
That segment bend over, both hands holding their arse cheeks open wide saying "shove that huge dildo up me Sony" then cum as soon as it's inserted

I thought maybe its worth it if I can sell my PS5 for €400 and invest 150 or 200 for the upgrade.
But €400 is not worth the extra detail in the background, Mark. Sorry this time.

Now your are ignoring the storage options.
Deflection. The number one way to know when you’re winning a debate.

Also, to answer your deflective question - the extra bump in price between the 2016 and 2017 models accounts for the bump from 32GB storage to 64GB storage, plus any possible built-up inflation after being $649 for years and years.

Last edited:

Humdinger

The thing we all have to decide for ourselves is this. Are you OK with the upgrade that the PS5 Pro is? If you can't justify it right now, then it is best to wait and let Sony show us why they are charging $699.99. It is their job to show us that.

Yeah, I am. It's a 45% upgrade in graphics power. That's nearly half again a PS5's level.

You can get 60 fps reliably. The environments look better, too. It's not a huge leap, but it's worth the cost for me.

Last edited:

SonGoku

I think the pricing of the Pro is a disgrace and a sign of arrogant Sony
4060Ti performance at $700 is a bad joke

This console was designed to be as cheap as posible cutting costs at every corner and ended up with a premium price, i dont see it meeting half the sales of the PS4 Pro at its current price

sainraja

Yeah, I am. It's a 45% upgrade in graphics power. That's nearly half again a PS5's level.

You can get 60 fps reliably. The environments look better, too.
I feel the same way and need to read it up a bit more on exactly what the PS5 is offering. I would have preferred paying less than $699.99 but that is the price for jumping in this year or next so I might wait a little unless I see good trade-in offers.

Gunstar75

Neo Member

This console was designed to be as cheap as posible cutting costs at every corner and ended up with a premium price, i dont see it meeting half the sales of the PS4 Pro at its current price
I love how people get so upset and take this shit personally, simply don't buy it. This not meant to be a mass market console, the regular PS5 will remain the bread winner for Sony. Besides just like the PS VR2, it will go on sale and see huge spike in sales.

scydrex

Of course because they are selling you only a standalone GPU equivalent to a 4060ti performance...

Last edited:
Sonys in a unique position to sell these things they’re winning the console war.
This is the sole and only answer. Period.

They know the “competition” if you can even call them that, are completely irrelevant right now. Not even the slightest of threats.

Xbox was much more competitive last generation than they are this time, and even then Sony still won in a landslide.

That’s why the PS4 Pro was $399 and the PS5 was $399.

Now, there’s no reason to competitively price their products, hence a $75 DualSense, a $200 remote player, and a $699 Pro.

Welcome back to 2006.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Look no further than this forum. There is a segment of gamers who will pay anything for sony and thinks sony can do no wrong. Supporting this greed is dooming the future of gaming.

Also calling people poor or saying the disc drive is dated anyway is just insane, chill out with that. Everyone has different reasons for the way they do things, just because you play digital doesnt mean everyone else does

You should apply your own logic to your own statements.

Top Bottom