• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Pricing Discussion Thread

Nankatsu

Gold Member
tenor.gif

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Bundling with the same game as base PS5 is not a selling point. Pro is aimed primarily at affluent enthusiasts who would have already owned a PS5. A new PS5 Pro exclusive, even a glorified tech demo, would give people something to get excited over.
I would have also accepted a digital copy of Astrobot, and maybe some PRO-Exclusive DLC level that flexes the PS5 Pro's muscles.

Humdinger

I'm in for it. I am in a good financial position, so $800 is not a big deal. I'm not sure if I'll get the disc drive yet. I might just keep my PS5 for that. The attachment looks ugly.

Last edited:

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
So how do you expect them to build the Pro? How much is a PS5 or Series X retail price? It has double the storage which in itself is roughly £100 more. Bigger GPU, faster CPU and ram.
I think they need to build it with an understanding of how potential customers will view the value proposition (hint: they're viewing it very negatively right now) and either put out an expensive product that is actually a premium product or put out a product that's in line with people's pricing expectations. The PS4 Pro was a huge jump from the base model without even increasing the price over the original PS4's MSRP. This sidegrade feels like a slap in the face by comparison. There's nothing "premium" about a downgrade from onboard disc drive to a la carte and upcharging a freaking stand that came by default for an extra $30+. I hope this greed is punished so they don't up the ante with PS6 at $800.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Its a high end product for a product that already exist. Just like the Dualsense Edge is crazy priced. You can try again this same topic if the PS6 has a crazy starting price as thats a product that will be aimed for the masses. PS5 Pro is not aimed for the masses.
Then why was PS4 Pro "for the masses" at the same MSRP the PS4 launched at?

I would gladly pay 800€ for a console but at this specs I’m really feeling I’m getting screwed as the value proposition is not there to justify.. I’ll wait to see how the games run on it before I decide but my hopes are really low..

For the people that can’t afford our PS5 pro. We have a product for you! It’s called PS5 😎
Fake narrative. This device is just for hardcore PlayStation fans and early adopter enthusiasts. A very small and niche crowd of people. A lot of us who play on console don't care for higher specs and the like and it has nothing to do with the ability to buy it.

Neo_game

I am happy with the price tag but the specs are pretty the same leaked a year ago sadly. Most users who buy it I am sure have purchased SSD. It is very unlikely that first time user buys a Pro. So 1TB was probably enough and made it at least 50$ cheaper. It could also be that they know there will not be any competition so it is priced higher than usual. Hopefully from now on we do not get 500$ consoles. IMO you cannot have decent specs at that price range anymore. PS5 slim is still 500$ so 600$ was minimum for the Pro anyways

Fess

Biggest downside from this unveil, the fans will defend this price and Sony is going to succeed in making $700/€800 the new baseline for highend console gaming through this launch. Then PS6 will cost the same, or more.

Next Xbox was already said to be more expensive, could go higher now, $800/€900, or more, fans will defend that as well.

Nintendo’s Switch successor unveil will be interesting.

DryvBy

The ps4 pro launched in 2016 at a price of $399 and came with a disc drive.

Inflation since then is 31%.

Which means appropriately accounting for inflation, a PS5 pro with a disc drive should cost no more than $524.
Except you just compared a PS4 Pro to a PS5. I guess my 3dfx is comparable to a 4090 too?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Double the power without doubling the price, if anything this is one hell of a deal and probably too cheap. Sony should have priced it at $900

Last edited:
Fake narrative. This device is just for hardcore PlayStation fans and early adopter enthusiasts. A very small and niche crowd of people. A lot of us who play on console don't care for higher specs and the like and it has nothing to do with the ability to buy it.
then why so many people complaining about the price? The reality is that there are many people that want a pro but they salty af that Sony priced them out.

Geruda065

A PC isn’t just a game box.

A PS5 Pro can easily hit $1k just to get going, and it’s just a game box.

Hell, you can build a PC and just collect all of the free games, and still have a big backlog.
By the time you factor in console cost, a disc drive if you own physical games, an online subscription for the first year, and one game you’re dropping big bucks.
And on Pc i can upgrade exactly what i want and when i want. No body forces me to change whole system for 45% gpu upgrade. Imagine if you could just swap APU on yor PS5 instead paying 800€ for new system. On PC i dont have to pray to god developer updates older game so i can use extra power. On PC i am not locked to overexpensive peripheria. No idiotic subscription. And yet people here say PCs are bad for gaming.

FunkMiller

And on Pc i can upgrade exactly what i want and when i want. No body forces me to change whole system for 45% gpu upgrade. Imagine if you could just swap APU on yor PS5 instead paying 800€ for new system. On PC i dont have to pray to god developer updates older game so i can use extra power. On PC i am not locked to overexpensive peripheria. No idiotic subscription. And yet people here say PCs are bad for gaming.

Valve should put out a console with swappable and upgradeable parts. They'd absolutely smoke Sony and Xbox.

ShakenG

I must be out of touch. I really dont get the price outrage. Seems fine to me as an absolute worse case scenario price. Ahwell... Day1. 🤷‍♂️

Banjo64

cumsessed
For £700 you can build a decent PC.
For £599 you can get this pre-build from Costco:

Features
- Intel Core i5-12400F Processor
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060
- 16GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB NVME SSD
- Microsoft Windows 11 Home
- Mesh White Airflow Case

bighugeguns

Is Playstation in trouble? I'm getting Sega/CA vibes where they suffered some big losses and suddenly the company went into full panic mode and jacked up prices moronically.

All their big project losses, bad acquisitions and Call of Duty on Gamepass probably gives them a pretty grim outlook internally.

The PS4 Pro had both of those things and launched at the same price as the original PS4 price. It also included a disc drive.

That was great value, this is not.
It was also 2016. Even though that is only 8 years ago the world is in a different place now. Everything is more expensive (especially tech). As a PC gamer we know this but it seems console gamers are either very naive or expect the hardware to be sold at cost or even with a small loss because they're used to this happening. The PS5 not dropping but actually increasing in price should have told you something.

bighugeguns

For £599 you can get this pre-build from Costco:

Features
- Intel Core i5-12400F Processor
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060
- 16GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB NVME SSD
- Microsoft Windows 11 Home
- Mesh White Airflow Case
Guaranteed an RTX 4000 running anything on DLSS 3.0 will straight up murder any proprietary Sony upscaling tech.

Top Bottom