• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Pricing Discussion Thread

Tomi

It will sell no matter what
Inflation was so huge in last few years that this price is alright ( wages gone up quite a bit )
This would cost around 600 euros few years back without inflation

Last edited:

Fabieter

You sell your old console for $300, then add $400 for the next 4 years of happiness ($100 per year).
Is it that expensive?

For me it's 920 euro in europe since the digital only console is basically not worth it to me. And I could easily afford it but I have a hard time justify that shitty price.

Fabieter

Here I thought spending $80 for Plus was a bit much. Now it would cost me close to $1,000 just to get back to where I was before my Plus expired.

I don’t exactly want Plus back for the free games. I just want backups and sometimes online coop.

Their grand vision is basically a price increase to say you’re maxing out games you more than likely already beat by now. I don’t need to spend $700 for perks on games I won’t replay. The new stuff I’ll be fine where I was.

I have a feeling like they’re missing the mark. It might sound great, but they’re looking at a couple things.

1. Fewer people wanting to upgrade besides those in the know.
2. Fewer people switching to their Live Service games.
3. Fewer Plus subs because that $80 cost for what you actually get isn’t all that amazing. (Which has probably helped their sales of Plus due to their restricted services).

I’ve never bad mouthed Sony PS openly. I’ve been on the band wagon for decades. A part of me feels like their heads are getting too big for their shoulders with these expected price hikes.

We just had a report of raising controller pricing.

I think kts because they gave up on expanding their console base it's basically milk the whole cow cry as fast as they can. They don't care for good value anymore.

Fabieter

Ok. What realistic specs would justify this price for you?

The new model has the same CPU but double the storage, which seems unnecessary since many people have already invested in expensive SSDs for their PS5. It also features a slightly better GPU with AI upscaling, which sounds intriguing but not enough to justify the price being more than double. I was expecting it to be priced around 700 to 800 euros with a disc drive and a stand, not 950 euros.

Parazels

The new model has the same CPU but double the storage, which seems unnecessary since many people have already invested in expensive SSDs for their PS5. It also features a slightly better GPU with AI upscaling, which sounds intriguing but not enough to justify the price being more than double. I was expecting it to be priced around 700 to 800 euros with a disc drive and a stand, not 950 euros.
Why are you and other people repeating the statement about "slightly better GPU"?
It's a great GPU with tons of improvements!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
$699 was on in the range of expectations given that the base PS5 isn’t going to be discounted any time soon. The lack of a packed in disc drive really feels like a nickel and dime type of thing though.
I agree and would care if I still valued retail. I've been mostly digital and support physical media. I had the 1TB PS5 plus a 2tb NVME added. With this, I may just skip on adding the additional drive.....for now.

simpatico

Think about the way you looked at your PS4 Pro when the PS5 launched. Now imagine that at $800 only 3 Christmas's from now. I wonder if 4 Pro owners especially are going to look at this with some side eye. It you're just now buying into the generation and planning on going all digital it makes sense.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Not in this thread.
man ok GIF

SonGoku

You are not getting a more capable PC for $900

A GPU is NOT a FULL PC
I made this quick and dirty build 12600KF + 7800XT for $973 ($1023 with a RTX 4070)
By the time Pro releases there will likely be a 8800XT to choose from or some other better 7800XT/4070 deal as well

Last edited:

scydrex

I was hyped this morning for real and when i saw that $700 without disk drive.... damn you Sony. 2tb SSD? i don't need that i prefer my disk drive. If i need space then would have had a SSD myself.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
By the time Pro releases there will likely be a 8800XT to choose from or some other better 7800XT/4070 deal as well
When are RDNA4 GPUs expected? I thought they wouldn't be released before the new year.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
$700 with disc drive, stand, and PS5P exclusive showcase game. Doesn't change the BOM much, places itself as a premium tier product rather than a worse value, and includes something to try out (along the lines of Astro's Playroom).
Well, Astro's Playroom is surely going to be included.
Would it be naive to imagine the game making use of Pro improvements, such as RT support or 120fps, given the game is already 4K/60fps?

About the price, you are unquestionably much better positioned than I am to gauge this, but would a 1TB upgrade along with what Cerny describes as being "close to twice the power" only warrant a mere $200 increase over a regular PS5?

Factoring in that this product doesn’t appear to be intended at all for mass-market appeal, in a time when Sony is apparently selling regular PS5 at a loss, along with the current devastating yen situation?

I'm personally going to buy it because I'm privileged enough a 30 to 60fps with equal/better visuals feels priceless, but I'm genuinely interested in understanding if the Console is actually overpriced, and a display of greed by Sony.

Last edited:

Parazels

For 100% more, you can get an even better image quality on a PC. People have always argued that hardware pricing is crucial for consoles, but it seems some don’t care as long as they can consume these poorly valued products.
Windows PC has too many flaws to take it seriously as a gaming device. It's not even close to consoles!
So PS5 Pro is the best choice for hardcore gamers!

autoNamed

Neo Member
Like it or not, a comparable PC build is still far more expensive than PS5 Pro at $700. If AAA games are going to keep pushing the bleeding edge of visual fidelity, at some point the console experience will become so shitty as to be unplayable unless Sony/MS put substantially more horsepower into their boxes. This does seem like a half measure/test run for PS6, but $700 really doesn't seem outrageous for what Sony claims it can do (4k60 + RT).

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Well, Astro's Playroom is surely going to be included.
Would it be naive to imagine the game making use of Pro improvements, such as RT support or 120fps, given the game is already 4K/60fps?

About the price, you are unquestionably much better positioned than I am to gauge this, but would a 1TB upgrade along with what Cerny describes as being "close to twice the power" only warrant a mere $200 increase over a regular PS5?

Factoring in that this product doesn’t appear to be intended at all for mass-market appeal, in a time when Sony is apparently selling regular PS5 at a loss, together with the current devastating yen situation?

I'm personally going to buy it because I'm privileged enough a 30 to 60fps with equal/better visuals feels priceless, but I'm genuinely interested in understanding if the Console is actually overpriced, and a display of greed by Sony.
Technology has advanced in four years. +$200 is enough when it shares many of the same components as the original.

Bundling with the same game as base PS5 is not a selling point. Pro is aimed primarily at affluent enthusiasts who would have already owned a PS5. A new PS5 Pro exclusive, even a glorified tech demo, would give people something to get excited over.

High price, loss of features, and lack of compelling software made for a marketing disaster. All of which could have been addressed while maintaining most of the profit margins for Sony.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
We just had a report of raising controller pricing.

I think kts because they gave up on expanding their console base it's basically milk the whole cow cry as fast as they can. They don't care for good value anymore.

It worked for Apple and Nvidia, Sony is simply following their example. If they can't expand your market, they can always raise the prices to make more money and satisfy shareholders. Sony already has a lower priced base model for the mass market, with the new PS5 Pro they have a luxury console with a far higher profit margin they can sell to the whale population.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

This thing is going to be scalped to he'll and back just like the original.

You'll be lucky to get it for 699. My guess is it will be sold out as Sony madr limited numbers due to the price but it will be decimated by scalper bots regardless of actual interest.

If you want one after the initial pre order phase you'll be paying 800+

Loxus

I'm wondering if Sony may consider dropping the price before it launches based on feedback.

Also, another Mark Cerny tech talk hit with a lot of dislikes. I hope this doesn't effect his tech talk on PS6.
0BLN7Ti.jpeg

Vick

Gold Member
Technology has advanced in four years. +$200 is enough when it shares many of the same components as the original.
Oh, unquestionably.
I was more curious about this +200 increase in the same time when the original, and its components, are being sold at a loss.

Bundling with the same game as base PS5 is not a selling point. Pro is aimed primarily at affluent enthusiasts who would have already owned a PS5. A new PS5 Pro exclusive, even a glorified tech demo, would give people something to get excited over.
Surely.
But I wouldn't hold my breath. Especially considering, as far as I know, it is prohibited for Pro versions of Sony consoles to feature exclusive software, only improved one from original models.

High price, loss of features, and lack of compelling software made for a marketing disaster. All of which could have been addressed while maintaining most of the profit margins for Sony.
I see, and agree. Thanks. 🙏

Fabieter

This thing is going to be scalped to he'll and back just like the original.

You'll be lucky to get it for 699. My guess is it will be sold out as Sony madr limited numbers due to the price but it will be decimated by scalper bots regardless of actual interest.

If you want one after the initial pre order phase you'll be paying 800+

Maybe scalpers have to give a disc version with it when ultimately no one buy it from tnem. That would make scalpers better than sony.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
You are not getting a more capable PC for $900

A GPU is NOT a FULL PC

A PC isn’t just a game box.

A PS5 Pro can easily hit $1k just to get going, and it’s just a game box.

Hell, you can build a PC and just collect all of the free games, and still have a big backlog.
By the time you factor in console cost, a disc drive if you own physical games, an online subscription for the first year, and one game you’re dropping big bucks.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
You don't spend thousands of dollars on a PC to look at Excel tables and read e-mails....

When you spend that much, IT IS for games
Might also be for software development, 3D modelling, video editing, music production...

Some kinds of software can get very demanding.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I'm wondering if Sony may consider dropping the price before it launches based on feedback.

Also, another Mark Cerny tech talk hit with a lot of dislikes. I hope this doesn't effect his tech talk on PS6.
0BLN7Ti.jpeg

Hah. I just left a dislike too. I sold my PS5 with a few games for 400 euro last week and was expecting to pay at most 700 euro for PS5 Pro disc edition. I never expected the actual price to be 920 euro! I can afford it but I'm not a happy customer. The PS4, PS4 Pro and PS5 were all good value for money. The PS5 however is outrageously expensive in Europe, especially for the meager visual improvements it brings. Sony management should be bombarded with bad publicity and poor sales so they'll never do something similar ever again.

SonGoku

You don't spend thousands of dollars on a PC to look at Excel tables and read e-mails....

When you spend that much, IT IS for games
But just like Phones and TVs a PC can serve multiple purposes by buying a gaming PC you dont only get a gaming machine and no longer need to buy a laptop/desktop anymore for every day tasks like browsing the internet and streaming movies/shows

and its not thousands of dollars btw i shared a build thats just under 1k with greater capability than that of the Pro
But right on time for the next Xbox.
next xbox is expected for 2026 at the earliest, theres no shot it launches in 2025

Last edited:

Gexxy1

This is the age of inflation and limited parts. My video card cost more than the entire PS5 Pro with the drive.
Is not this 2024 and inflation?
The ps4 pro launched in 2016 at a price of $399 and came with a disc drive.

Inflation since then is 31%.

Which means appropriately accounting for inflation, a PS5 pro with a disc drive should cost no more than $524.

Top Bottom