• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Pricing Discussion Thread

proandrad

Wrong. Hyper premium iPhones that were introduced in 2017 should not be used to compare to regular iPhones.

2013 iPhone 5s - $649
2024 iPhone 16 - $799

Adjusted for inflation, the 2024 iPhone is cheaper.

Got anything else?

The old versions were the hyper premium phones. Why are you comparing phones to consoles anyways?
Guy isn’t even comparing the right iPhone model, iPhone pro max is the premium iPhone and it’s priced at $1199.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Do you think a $100 margin on a console greedy?
Doubt it's a paltry $100 considering they're selling it for 75% more than the regular model. It does NOT cost 75% more to produce. Their margins with the Pro are higher without a doubt, which isn't all that rare when the 2080 Ti cost like $400 to manufacture but was sold for $1000. Premium products typically have higher margins and Sony is going for this.

You have to understand I bought a PS5 Pro in 2016 for $550 CAD. It came with a disc drive. I also bought one year of PS+ for $60 CAD and a Dual Shock 4 for $70 CAD. Total was $680 CAD. I want the same things now? $950 PS5 Pro. $100 CAD disc drive. $95 DualSense. $95 PS+ for a total of $1240. I'm paying damn near double what I was paying back in 2016. I can build a good mid-range PC for that price even in Canadian dollars, something I sure as shit couldn't do in 2016 with that money. Even accounting for inflation and the exchange rate, the prices are terrible.

I'm not happy with the prices and here you are batting for Sony telling me I got no reason to complain.

Guy isn’t even comparing the right iPhone model, iPhone pro max is the premium iPhone and it’s priced at $1199.
There was no Pro equivalent iPhones in 2013.

That class of iPhone wasn’t introduced until 2017 and it was introduced at a $999 price

The same price as the current Pro models are today, 7 years later.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not exactly. PS4 Pro and One X launched with base system launch prices, right? Well can't say for sure for Xbox as i didn't own one and too lazy to check.
This time they are seriously limiting their audience.

4 Pro had 15% marketshare at 400$, what percentage will the 5 Pro have at over 900 EUR?
Pretty sure PS4 and PS4 Pro both launched at $400. And both had a disc drive.

PS5 with drive launch was $500, and Pro with additional drive to match is $780.

Something looks totally off here.

Last edited:

n0razi

Currently have a PS4 Pro and I honestly think this will be my last set top console. Happy for the 1% hardcore DF gamers who are willing to pay for no compromise; more options are good IMHO.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
Are you blind??? Just read the last sentence on the picture.
Calm Down Champions League GIF by Liverpool FC

Just watch the damn video man:

He says "PS5 Pro is close to doubling the power of PS5".

Forgive me if I've learned I should just trust what this man says over whatever the hell Forum neckbeards spout.

Also, just a curiosity; you're constantly telling everybody Console sucks because have to chose between performance and IQ, now that this machine should combine both shouldn't you be satisfied with it?
Sure the price can't be the reason behind such heat, as an hardened PCMR guy, right?

twilo99

Gold Member

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

Forgive me if I've learned I should just trust what this man says over whatever the hell Forum neckbeards spout.

Also, just a curiosity; you're constantly telling everybody Console sucks because have to chose between performance and IQ, now that this machine should combine both shouldn't you be satisfied with it?
Sure the price can't be the reason behind such heat, as an hardened PCMR guy, right?

"Overall, this enables up to 45% faster rendering for gameplay, making the experience much smoother."

Except consoles suck because more than just performance and IQ plus it will only suck less for those aspects only for a select list of games.

Last edited:

welshrat

Doubt it's a paltry $100 considering they're selling it for 75% more than the regular model. It does NOT cost 75% more to produce. Their margins with the Pro are higher without a doubt, which isn't all that rare when the 2080 Ti cost like $400 to manufacture but was sold for $1000. Premium products typically have higher margins and Sony is going for this.

You have to understand I bought a PS5 Pro in 2016 for $550 CAD. It came with a disc drive. I also bought one year of PS+ for $60 CAD and a Dual Shock 4 for $70 CAD. Total was $680 CAD. I want the same things now? $950 PS5 Pro. $100 CAD disc drive. $95 DualSense. $95 PS+ for a total of $1240. I'm paying damn near double what I was paying back in 2016. I can build a good mid-range PC for that price even in Canadian dollars, something I sure as shit couldn't do in 2016 with that money. Even accounting for inflation and the exchange rate, the prices are terrible.

I'm not happy with the prices and here you are batting for Sony telling me I got no reason to complain.
Yeah I would have liked it cheaper I have to agree. Its costing me £800 in the UK with the drive (already ordered) however its not going to stop me getting one. I want one and I have the money put aside for it so it will be my Christmas present (Wife complains as she says I am impossible to buy for as I just buy what I want, but hey I can't rely on others). Looking forward now to the 26th and given how.many are upset with the price I am hoping it going to be an easy process.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Not sure about slim, but my OG fat came with a stand.
lmao, dude what the fuck is this shit? Next you're going to tell me there's no controller? Fuck it, Sony. Take out the console too and just send me the box and cables and charge me another $300 for the console lmao.

Ita not anymore which is clear from their financial statements
If you really, legitimately believe that Sony isn’t making a profit on a console in 2024 that they were making a profit on THREE FULL YEARS AGO, even after making the components as cheap as possible with a “Slim” revision and multiple other internal revisions before that

I don’t know what to tell you bubba.

Edit: oh wait I just realized I’m talking to Ass of Can Whooping

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

I think you are within your right to complain. The cost is even higher than I expected and maybe the margin is closer to $150 on this, I was thinking they’d sell it for $599 and have a $50 margin or so

Unfortunately it’s a business and this is a luxury item and Sony isn’t subsidizing hardware anymore

Doesn’t make it right or wrong, I’ll still pay the price for it begrudgingly.

That said I don’t think it’s anywhere near the most egregious example of being greedy or gouging in the consumer tech space

I voted "no" purely because we've been dealing with arrogant Sony the entire generation. It didn't just start.

(1) Base PS5 has never dropped in price. In fact, it has increased in price in some regions.

(2) $200 pro controller.

(3) A portable that's not actually portable.

(4) A VR headset that's more expensive than the associated console.

(5) Remaster, port, remaster, port, live service trash, repeat.

And the sad part is, they can get away with nearly all of it because they're beating their competitors so severely.

Wait I had the portal. How is it not portable?

lmao, dude what the fuck is this shit? Next you're going to tell me there's no controller? Fuck it, Sony. Take out the console too and just send me the box and cables and charge me another $300 for the console lmao.
Some people here chose to believe the Xbox Series consoles wouldn't ship with a control pad because it wasn't on some random list.

If you really, legitimately believe that Sony isn’t making a profit on a console in 2024 that they were making a profit on THREE FULL YEARS AGO, even after making the components as cheap as possible with a “Slim” revision and multiple other internal revisions before that

I don’t know what to tell you bubba.

You don't need to tell me anything. Unless you're suggesting they're lying in their own financial statements

I'm going to take that over your delusion that price only goes down

Last edited:

Gaiff

Doesn’t make it right or wrong, I’ll still pay the price for it begrudgingly.
I probably will too, but doing this makes us part of the problem. I'm not sure how much more I want to contribute to this.
That said I don’t think it’s anywhere near the most egregious example of being greedy or gouging in the consumer tech space
Nah, that's from NVIDIA or Apple.

SCB3

Wait I had the portal. How is it not portable?
I think they mean it doesn’t do anything on its own; you need a PS5 with games installed to even use it, you cannot stream from cloud to it yet

Anyway, I know ill get a pro at some point but I may wait a bit longer, my launch consoles are still working fine and I only play at 1080p anyway right now, the only reason I even got a PS4 pro was my launch ps4 was overheating

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

Yep same fidelity at twice the frame rate is an effective doubling

That PSSR putting in work it seems

I was always going to buy one, no matter the price as I can afford it and I love playing around with new tech, but it would have been easier to swallow that £699 price in the UK if the console had come with the stand and disc drive included. Sony could easily have included the stand at the very least. They are clearly out to get as much money as they can from their hardcore fan base in my opinion, just like Apple.

A £700 price point for the Pro pretty much guarantees that the Pro will have a very small user base, which in turn means that not all third-party developers may support it at all (unless Sony 'encourages' them with payment to do so), since it is yet another SKU for them. And with Sony only releasing a handful of exclusive games these days, due to much longer development cycles, we may not see that many enhanced games before the inevitable PS6 arrives (and how much will that cost, I wonder?). The machine's capabilities may be limited to mostly running older PS5 titles with better visuals and more stable framerates at higher dynamic resolutions. That's enough for me as someone who prefers quality over performance in PS5 games but the PS4 Pro was much cheaper and only had a 1 in 5 adoption rate with not all developers bothering to support it. PSSR sounds great as an AI upscaler, certainly better than the awful FSR2 which plagues many console games these days, but if it needs to be patched in by the developers, as is the way with Sony games, then that would be disappointing if it was ignored by most developers (like checkerboard rendering was on PS4 Pro even though this was a hardware feature of the machine).

PS5 Pro was always going to be a premium machine but I fear that Sony are pricing the console out of the market for those that want one but can't afford it. The price increase is much larger than the PS4 to PS4 Pro, which saw the base machine get a price cut.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
"Overall, this enables up to 45% faster rendering for gameplay, making the experience much smoother."

"We achieved this on PS5 Pro with several key performance features."

And you focus on what the GPU alone does. The article then says:

"You can hear Mark Cerny, lead architect for PS5 Pro, discuss the key innovations from PS5 Pro in the following video presentation. This presentation provides a deep dive into the key performance features that make PS5 Pro truly special."

And, in said video, Cerny says, referring to the machine as a whole, "PS5 Pro is close to doubling the power of PS5".

Would a 45% increase be enough to turn 30fps into 60fps?

saintjules

Gold Member
When you compare it to the 2TB Series X with a disc drive at $600, $700 or $780 with the disc drive sounds like a steal. ha!

Yup my thinking too. Now I can slap on the 980 Pro and have a whopping 4TB of storage. And that's before I get to my externals.

I will hoard my games as long as possible (even though I know I don't have to).

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
A £700 price point for the Pro pretty much guarantees that the Pro will have a very small user base, which in turn means that not all third-party developers may support it at all (unless Sony 'encourages' them with payment to do so), since it is yet another SKU for them.

Sony doesn’t need to encourage much

It’ll run better without much effort at all

So it will get widely supported by default

Quantum253

Gold Member
Pro: 799
Optical disc: 80
Stand: 30
Tax 100 bucks
1k for the Pro (as I would get it)
Add the drive and it might be 1,200-1,300 if you don't use the addtl from the PS5

kevm3

I'm sorry, this seems like a bomb. We've barely got any games that aren't cross-gen with the ps4. There's very few games that I've seen that are mindblowingly better than ps4 if any. $700 for what exactly? Better framerate for cross-gen games?

sainraja

TNaIVcY.png

PS5 Pro, 2TB, at 699$ on one hand, Series X, 2TB, at 599$ on the other. Series X comes with a disc drive, PS5 Pro doesn't.

PS5 Pro is currently marketed as a 4k, 60fps, RT machine, twice as powerful as a base PS5.

Reading the first pages of this Thread, as well as the results of the "Sony can screw itself" option in this poll, left me wondering.. can "high end console gaming" ever be a thing?

Or should every machine within the Console realm be imperatively as affordable as possible to the masses?
Should the option of playing current generation games at 60fps with high resolution and pristine IQ, along with higher settings, remain an unattainable dream for every kind of individual willing to purchase a console, if it traslates into $699?

GAF, please help me understand.
Well, I don't think comparing PS5 Pro to XSX is a good comparison, since only one of them is a mid-gen upgrade; as for price, yeah it's not cheap. If someone wants a Pro, they will have to pay the asking price, otherwise we just have to stick with the base PS5. I will likely get the Pro, not sure if I will at launch.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

I'm keen to know considering the pricing of the PS5 Pro is causing a lot of controversy and was also a shock to many it looks like.

Even though we don't know how much of an edge PSSR and the bespoke RT technology will give the Pro what's the cost of something that would bring about similar performance on PC? (including a 2TB SSD).
PS5 Pro price:
$ 699.99
$ 950 CAD
£ 699.99
€ 799.99
¥ 119,980

Venom Snake

I understand that everyone would like to have a PS5 pro for 500 bucks (including me), but this is clearly no longer a strategy to attract, well, everyone.
Consoles are often talked about in the context of low initial costs and attractive price-performance ratios, but not everyone who buys them does so to save money. Sony knows this well and their "premium" model proves it. Most customers will stick with the basic version until the end of the current generation, many more will continue to buy it, so it's not a matter of urgency. It's simply an opportunity to milk those who are motivated by having something better than others, and at the same time a testing ground before entering the next generation in a few years.

Is that arrogant? Possibly. Is this consistent with modern market strategies? Absolutely.
Regardless of our way of valuing things, there will always be groups of people who turn a blind eye to such practices and will pay extra because they don't feel bad for having a lot of money to spend.

By the way, when ps5 has performance issues i often see comments like "you get what you pay for". All it took was an extra $300 for the sarcasm to disappear. :messenger_winking:

Top Bottom