• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Pricing Discussion Thread

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Isn't this like double the amount of the PS4 Pro?

I know that's an eight year difference, but doubling the price in that time period is still insane to me.

bighugeguns

I know that's an eight year difference, but doubling the price in that time period is still insane to me.
Funny because every time I owned a PS5 like 80% of my time spent on the thing was on PS4 games. Does the pro do anything special with PS4 titles, that'd be cool at least.

Boy that Jim "backwards compatibility is stupid" Ryan was such a massive tit.

Last edited:
I don t see a problem with the pricing, but then again I work in commodity trading and bet on the stock market.

Pricing in general for everything is getting expensive especially in high end items. You have seen this price increase in PC gaming before and currently.

The rasterization performance is at a 7800XT level but with much better Ray Tracing.

We could all argue they could ask this price if it would come with the disc tbh

ShakenG

I don t see a problem with the pricing, but then again I work in commodity trading and bet on the stock market.

Pricing in general for everything is getting expensive especially in high end items. You have seen this price increase in PC gaming before and currently.

The rasterization performance is at a 7800XT level but with much better Ray Tracing.

We could all argue they could ask this price if it would come with the disc tbh
With the vertical stand at the least.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Launch prices

PS4 w/disc $400 US / 400 Euro
PS4 Pro w/ disc $400 US / 400 Euro

PS5 digital $400 US / 400 Euro (includes stand)
PS5 w/disc $500 US / 500 Euro (includes stand)

PS5 Pro digital $700 US / 800 Euro
PS5 Pro adding disc drive $780 US / 920 euro
PS5 Pro adding disc drive & stand $810 US / 950 Euro

Cut to the chase..... Canada prices for PS5 Pro. $960 system + $100 disc drive + $40 stand = $1,100 CDN. Taxes are high too and never built into starting prices. Add Ontario 13% tax = $1,243!

Last edited:

Zathalus

It was also 2016. Even though that is only 8 years ago the world is in a different place now. Everything is more expensive (especially tech). As a PC gamer we know this but it seems console gamers are either very naive or expect the hardware to be sold at cost or even with a small loss because they're used to this happening. The PS5 not dropping but actually increasing in price should have told you something.
I don’t expect the PS5 Pro to be as cheap as the launch PS5. But double the price of the digital version in Europe? Not even Nvidia is that brazen with their low to mid range cards.

peish

I don’t expect the PS5 Pro to be as cheap as the launch PS5. But double the price of the digital version in Europe? Not even Nvidia is that brazen with their low to mid range cards.

I guess europeans got special instore deals, trade-ins, bundled, warranties and generally electronics are more expensive over there.

Zathalus

I guess europeans got special instore deals, trade-ins, bundled, warranties and generally electronics are more expensive over there.
Not that I’m aware of. Electronics are more expensive due to the added tax included in the final price, but the Euro is stronger as well. For this to match the US price (including tax) it would need to be €749 at most. It’s cheaper in Australia vs Europe, so it’s not just a US thing.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Launch prices

PS4 w/disc $400 US / 400 Euro
PS4 Pro w/ disc $400 US / 400 Euro

PS5 digital $400 US / 400 Euro (includes stand)
PS5 w/disc $500 US / 500 Euro (includes stand)

PS5 Pro digital $700 US / 800 Euro
PS5 Pro adding disc drive $780 US / 920 euro
PS5 Pro adding disc drive & stand $810 US / 950 Euro

Cut to the chase..... Canada prices for PS5 Pro. $960 system + $100 disc drive + $40 stand = $1,100 CDN. Taxes are high too and never built into starting prices. Add Ontario 13% tax = $1,243!

I had to look it up. Here are the UK launch day prices.

PS4 price £349

PS4 pro price £349.

PS5 digital edition £359

PS5 pro price £699

That's an insane price hike.

Same ol G

This is just for fun, as we all know the PS5 Pro is announced and oh boy that pricetag.
In Japan the PS5 is not as popular as in the west, people have been giving multiple explanations including that Japanese gamers are going the PC route.
Question is what do you think will happen with the Pro in Japan.

I personally believe it's gonna die a slow death over there

Draugoth had a nice picture to illustrate how Japan might perceive this.
1726051089587711.png

Last edited:
Actually Nvidia gives you less performance compared to the flag ship card for a much higher price now. You get shafted more the further you go down the product stack. It is what it is.

Same ol G

Do they care?

When you use the rest of the World to subsidise the cost of the product for US customers, they're sending a pretty clear signal it's the only market they give a shit about.

..IMO.
I think this is also going to be the problem in the EU.
€ 920 for a disc based version is just too much, if we use the conversion rate it should be somewhere around €725 before taxes (the US prices are without tax if i'm correct)

Nankatsu

Gold Member
In Japan the PS5 is not as popular as in the west, people have been giving multiple explanations including that Japanese gamers are going the PC route.

Pretty normal, considering Steam has a whole section that suits their needs and fantasies.

You can't find that section on consoles.

the rock swag GIF

Zathalus

Actually Nvidia gives you less performance compared to the flag ship card for a much higher price now. You get shafted more the further you go down the product stack. It is what it is.
That is true, but the equivalent would be Nvidia launching the 3070 at $499 and the 4070 Super (being 45% faster) having launched at $999.

Japan recently stopped the carry trade so there might be more money in Japan's economy than people think. Either way it's still gonna be hard to justify buying if you already got a PS5 unless you're making bitcoin levels of money.

Same ol G

Pretty normal, considering Steam has a whole section that suits their needs and fantasies.

You can't find that section on consoles.

the rock swag GIF
I honestly would love a Japan only section in my stores, it would be so easy to just ignore the western crap.
Good move by Valve.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
honestly? i dont see japanese user buy a pro, most of them just play GaaS games on PS5 no?

Same ol G

It's selling better than the PS3 and PS4. But yeah I'd expect PS5 Pro to perform especially poorly in Japan compared to other regions in terms of what percentage of PS5's sold are Pro.
True but both consoles only reached 10 million over there so selling better is not really saying much

Life Diff

Let me put it this way....if I didn't own a $3k PC, I would most likely buy the PS5 Pro. The price isn't the issue IMHO, it's the fact that all games won't be supported.
The summary I saw was over 8000+games and that includes some ps4 titles too which I find super interesting.

Like the PS4 pro it's gonna be a niche console, the standard version will always sell more but if you want that bigger and more powerful version it's available.

No joke if PS6 shipped with a standard and pro version I'd choose the pro version. I have the disposable income and for me it's worth the value proposition.

Last edited:

SHA

In China I think sales numbers will surprise us, like Korea and Canada, which is different than USA, UK, Japan where affordable consoles are more popular.

Zathalus

PS5 Digital launched at 40k Yen. The Pro is 120k Yen.

It’s not going to sell much, probably won’t even crack 500k.

Same ol G

In China I think sales numbers will surprise us, like Korea and Canada, which is different than USA, UK, Japan where affordable consoles are more popular.
How do you mean "surprise us" i don't see Canadians celebrating they have to pay $1000 canadian.
And i don't believe the chinese are going to carry this thing, it's not like there are multiple chinese developers are working on blockbusters a la Wukong
It will sell less than the XSX
Oh i already see the headlines.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase a PS5 Pro, nor will they purchase any of Sony’s products. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and reduce the PS5 Pro price to $599 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

unlurkified

I live in Japan. With the detachable disc drive (¥14,000), it’s actually closer to ¥140,000 is essentially $1,400 in equivalent buying power. There’s no way it’s not dead at that price point. I just don’t think they’re going to stock very many and will probably just make it available through Sony Direct. Can’t see it selling more than a few thousand here.

Hero_Select

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase a PS5 Pro, nor will they purchase any of Sony’s products. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and reduce the PS5 Pro price to $599 or you can kiss your business goodbye.
Classic XD

Same ol G

Sorry this is just not true
The only reason stuff seems more expensive is because taxes are always included, the price you see here is the price you pay

Last edited:

Same ol G

I love this comment, always puts a smile on my face.

Woopah

Japan is still the second biggest country for PS5. I expect Pro to make up between 10% and 20% of PS5 sales next year.

For context, the Pro made up 17.23% of PS4s sold in Japsn by the end of 2020.

Sentenza

I’d be complete baffled if it turns out to be even a modest success.

My prediction is that it’s more likely turning into a complete flop, maybe even the worst one Sony experienced so far in Japan with hardware.

Vyse

Gold Member
I am in Japan right now and guy on the train next to me was playing a Vita. From the people I have spoke with, seems like the economy is hurting right now. Prices going up and people not getting annual increases. Not so sure this is going to hit in Japan, but who knows.

Top Bottom