• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Pricing Discussion Thread

It will sell in the first month to a moderately reception and then suffer a slow death. Better getting a better phone, waiting for the new Nintendo, or upgrading your PC. Japan has not been the main target for Sony in years.

Impotaku

Apart from the remaining Sony diehards over there which will grab anything Sony it will sell like shit after that core have bought one. Even base model of ps5 struggles against switch in weekly sales numbers. Japan is now the domain of Nintendo and sony is left to pick through the scraps with Microsoft.

It’s insane they have nothing even to show to take advantage of a pro model instead here’s some old PS4 games woo feel the premium.

unlurkified

Japan is still the second biggest country for PS5. I expect Pro to make up between 10% and 20% of PS5 sales next year.

For context, the Pro made up 17.23% of PS4s sold in Japsn by the end of 2020.
But this costs 3X as much and more than double what the base PS5 was here just a few years ago.

Same ol G

Every topic i read on multiple sites and news outlet people are complaining about the price in the comment sections.
For the people who believe everything is fine, how and why do you think that? Apart from the hardcore who do you think Sony can convince to pay almost 1000 bucks for slightly better graphics and framerate.

I'm really wondering about the train of thought from people who think this is gonna sell well.

John Wick

I think they need to build it with an understanding of how potential customers will view the value proposition (hint: they're viewing it very negatively right now) and either put out an expensive product that is actually a premium product or put out a product that's in line with people's pricing expectations. The PS4 Pro was a huge jump from the base model without even increasing the price over the original PS4's MSRP. This sidegrade feels like a slap in the face by comparison. There's nothing "premium" about a downgrade from onboard disc drive to a la carte and upcharging a freaking stand that came by default for an extra $30+. I hope this greed is punished so they don't up the ante with PS6 at $800.
It wasn't a huge jump at all. Your talking hyperbole. Also can you remember what a Geforce 9080 or 1080 cost and how much a 4080 costs now? Prices have gone up. So your evidence of how the PS4 Pro cost £399 at launch has no relevance in today's market place. If 4080 alone can more than double the price of an 9080 or 1080 then it's expected a PS5 Pro will also cost more especially if Sony don't want to sell it at a loss.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Disc drive is sold out:

4eZeiVX.jpeg

Other sellers on Amazon have it for double the price.

Impotaku

That’s the scalpers getting in early. They do it with everything on amazon japan if you don’t grab a preorder then your fucked.

Same ol G

Disc drive is sold out:

4eZeiVX.jpeg

Other sellers on Amazon have it for double the price.
Not knowing how much stock there was this tells you nothing.
In another topic they were sharing printscreens that the diskdrive was the most trending order with 30 orders in the past 24 hrs.
9oHsUjA.png

This is just for fun, as we all know the PS5 Pro is announced and oh boy that pricetag.
In Japan the PS5 is not as popular as in the west, people have been giving multiple explanations including that Japanese gamers are going the PC route.
Question is what do you think will happen with the Pro in Japan.

I personally believe it's gonna die a slow death over there
Going the pc route? As far as I'm aware (I only know 1 person that still lives in Japan so not much personal experience anymore) PC is definitely rising but it's not like it's taking over the country and the majority still play on consoles or strictly mobile.

Don't get me wrong, it's great that PC gaming is getting more popular but it's not like it's the new standard. It's not much different then the west, I'm sure "hardcore" circles and forums paint a completely different picture then real life.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
It wasn't a huge jump at all. Your talking hyperbole. Also can you remember what a Geforce 9080 or 1080 cost and how much a 4080 costs now? Prices have gone up. So your evidence of how the PS4 Pro cost £399 at launch has no relevance in today's market place. If 4080 alone can more than double the price of an 9080 or 1080 then it's expected a PS5 Pro will also cost more especially if Sony don't want to sell it at a loss.
You don't think doubling the FPS and/or resolution output in several games is a huge jump over the original? And without a price increase? lol, sure thing.

People who think like you and just throw their wallets open at terrible value propositions like the PS5 Pro are WHY Nvidia sold the 4080 for $1200. Sony looked at your buying habits and said, "Hey, WE could do that." Your defense of "sky's the limit" pricing enables this behavior.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I am in a weird position. I only have 1-2 digital ps5 games the other 99% are all physical. And my ps5 is at the end of its days. I wanted to replace it with the pro. However, I can't afford 920 euros for a console. maybe i should get out this generation and then get the ps6 again. Weird times.

Same ol G

Going the pc route? As far as I'm aware (I only know 1 person that still lives in Japan so not much personal experience anymore) PC is definitely rising but it's not like it's taking over the country and the majority still play on consoles or strictly mobile.

Don't get me wrong, it's great that PC gaming is getting more popular but it's not like it's the new standard. It's not much different then the west, I'm sure "hardcore" circles and forums paint a completely different picture then real life.
I understand, i wrote it down as a reason people give for dwindling sales.
I surely don't believe PC gaming is taking over, there is definitely a group of gamers who seem to think otherwise

kriolo

PS4 2013 USD 399
PS4pro 2016 USD 399

PS5 2020 USD 499
PS5pro 2024 USD 699 no disc!

no way josé no way! and most definitively PS6 will not launch in 4 more years like ps5 did after ps4

Z O N E

People spend 1.4K on phones a sub 1k console is ok in my eyes..

Will it be a mass succes?

prolly not

What is with this phone comparison I keep seeing...

Phones are a literal essential device in this day and age. Are they overpriced? Certain ones, sure.

But to say "well if phones are priced that high, a console at that price is fine too" is just idiotic and basically normalising this price point for future consoles and telling Sony that you will bend over backwards to pay it.

Phones are a literal essential device in this day and age. Are they overpriced? Certain ones, sure.

But to say "well if phones are priced that high, a console at that price is fine too" is just idiotic and basically normalising this price point for future consoles and telling Sony that you will bend over backwards to pay it.
Same as with phones you can get a phone that does the actually essential jobs for 199, plus a tablet for 150. While you still get a regular PS5 for half the price of the Pro. The premium options can't be normalised since they are not for normal, average people. 4Pro might have been somewhat as a price successor, but this time it isn't.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

You don’t need expensive phones
You also don’t need pro versions that play the exact same games as the cheaper console..

Don’t want to spend 700? But the digital only console.

I prefer the best of the best and for that i am willing to pay more

XXL

The Digital PS5 is $449US, it has 1TB of storage.

The Digital PS5 Pro is $699US, it has a quire a bit better GPU and 2TB of storage, along with other smaller upgrades.

So those upgrades are an extra $250.

I'm really struggling to see why this is soooooo outrageous.

I think the lack of a stand is bullshit though and they really should include that in the box.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Just reposting from another thread to point out the incredibly obvious reason for the reaction

PS4 (2013): €399
PS4 Pro (2016): €399
PS5 Digital (2020):€399
PS5 Pro (2024): €799

Bernoulli

M2 slut
It's because it was a bad presentation, announcing it with new games with impressive graphics would have helped instead of showing ps4 remasters

The US price is okay but the EU price is not
We are paying 799€ and the Disc drive costs 120€
That over $1000

Last edited:
The value is fine. I think the biggest issue is the sticker shock for a gaming console. It's just too high for that space, IMO.

I think Americans are overreacting as fuck. Europeans, however
Aren't the prices adjusted appropriately compared to exchange rates?

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
Disk drive should have at least had a bundle option. Give people choices instead of trying to hide the costs.

I'm fine with the jokes and such. Maybe Sony will drop the price or add in the drive for preorders.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
That's just the US. It's a lot more expensive in the rest of the world. $600 would have been okay considering the 2TB SSD and faster GPU.

The value is fine. I think the biggest issue is the sticker shock for a gaming console. It's just too high for that space, IMO.
How is the value fine after we had a PS5 Digital Console launch in 2020 with better specs for the time at $399

the value is not fine, it’s dogshit in comparison to what’s come before

Last edited:
For the price they are asking, regardless of the upgrades in power levels, a disc drive AND stand should have been included. Sony could have afforded to at least release their top level variation of the PS5 with all the bells and whistles. Loyalists have supported them incredibly over the gens and that would have been the right thing to do for this new iteration. It also would have helped people to accept the price in a better light due to them getting all the extras and not having to buy them separately. Just my opinion.

It`s an optional enthusiast product.
The bang for buck is terrible, but no one is forced to buy one...sooo.
A simple case of "vote with your wallet", and not worth getting emotional about, imho..

But as always: Social media loooooves drama.
Oh The Drama GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

XXL

Just reposting from another thread to point out the incredibly obvious reason for the reaction

PS4 (2013): €399
PS4 Pro (2016): €399
PS5 Digital (2020):€399
PS5 Pro (2024): €799
I'm primarily speaking about NA prices.

The prices in EU do seem too expensive.

I should have clarified that in the OP.

Top Bottom