• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Pricing Discussion Thread

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Japan is still the second biggest country for PS5. I expect Pro to make up between 10% and 20% of PS5 sales next year.

For context, the Pro made up 17.23% of PS4s sold in Japsn by the end of 2020.

That's not going to happen this time.

The PS4 Pro was excellent value for money, it was the same price as the PS4 three years earlier. In Europe the PS4 Slim cost 299 euro and the PS4 Pro cost 399 euro and despite a small 100 euro price difference most people opted for the cheaper console.

So what do you think is going to happen when people now have to choose between a 420 euro PS5 Slim and a 800 euro PS5 Pro? The sticker shock is even worse in Japan where the yen isn't worth a damn.

Woopah

Now how does that compare with other regions? Or Nintendo? I didn't think I needed to add an asterisk lol. The stales are still relatively low in comparisons.
PS5 will have higher numbers in Japan than other countries, but a lower market share.

Same ol G

Japan is still the second biggest country for PS5. I expect Pro to make up between 10% and 20% of PS5 sales next year.

For context, the Pro made up 17.23% of PS4s sold in Japsn by the end of 2020.
Ok well see when the numbers come in.
I believe it will be maybe 10%.
The PS4 Pro was the same price as launch PS4 if i remember correctly, this is not the case with PS5 Pro.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
People spend 1.4K on phones a sub 1k console is ok in my eyes..

Will it be a mass succes?

prolly not

Robb

Gold Member
2d77e06d7c96ae210ec23765f478f069

Little Mac

Gold Member
If Sony gave us a couple pack-in games that utilized all that new tech, like Demon Souls or GT, I'd probably preorder a Pro.

Then again I might just be at stage 3 ...

The 5 stages of grief in order:
  • denial.
  • anger.
  • bargaining.
  • depression.
  • acceptance.

Last edited:

Same ol G

People spend 1.4K on phones a sub 1k console is ok in my eyes..

Will it be a mass succes?

prolly not
People who do that don't pay that but it's actually a loan that they pay monthly.
We all know this so i don't understand why people keep comparing

Same ol G

You could have raised the question for the whole world. In Europe they charge €800, like wtf?
Ow everybody already knows that for the EU.
I asked this specifically for Japan because people never seem to understand why playstation sells or doesn't sell in Japan, the reasoning scalpers then it's PC gaming another time it's mobile.

And yeah the EU pricing for a digital version is laughable i wanted to reference the $600 meme from the PS3 era, but i didn't wanna start a shitstorm with comments like that.
Now looking back it would've been a correct assumption

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Why in the hell would I play 920€ for a console with a catalogue that is a bunch of already released games, from which I already played quite a chunk?

Don't get me wrong, but the value proposition is not there for me at all, at least now.

And I say this as someone who pulled the trigger on the PS4 Pro, twice.

For the value proposition to make even the slightest sense, they need new games, not remakes or current existing ones with slightly better graphics.

We've seen what happened with the PS4 Pro, and it is most likely what will happen with the PS5 Pro.

From the upcoming games that I want to buy, most likely none will have PS5 Pro enhanced features.

So yeah, I'll sit this one out for now.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Chinese people will still buy them from the Japanese market.

The PS5 Pro is going to be the best way to play Black Myth Wukong without a PC. Sony will have to sell the PS5 Pro to only 1% of the Chinese population to make a killing. :lollipop_sunglasses:

Last edited:

SHA

How do you mean "surprise us" i don't see Canadians celebrating they have to pay $1000 canadian.
And i don't believe the chinese are going to carry this thing, it's not like there are multiple chinese developers are working on blockbusters a la Wukong

Oh i already see the headlines.
These are pc gaming territories, they took pc gaming culture to a whole another level, in USA, usually you see an isolated dude who wanna start making videos to afford his expensive rig, this isn't a culture of pc gaming at all.

Last edited:

Astray

The PS5 Pro is going to be the best way to play Black Myth Wukong without a PC. Sony will have to sell the PS5 Pro to only 1% of the Chinese population to make a killing. :lollipop_sunglasses:
I mean not really.

Powerful PCs are still expensive even in China.

I also think people are not ready for Switch 2 pricing when that is announced. Don't see it going below $450 at minimum.

Ponderling

I migrated from PS4 to PS4 pro, price/performance wise it offered something decent if you owned a 4K tv.
I've yet to buy a PS5, owning a decent gaming PC has not made it worthwhile, but there are enough games now that I've been thinking about it and was waiting for the Pro announcement to seal the deal.
£700 without a drive is absurd, I'd much rather get a cheaper slim now to finally enjoy Demon's Souls, Stellar Blade and Astro Bot etc. And those games look/run great already.

Same ol G

These are pc gaming territories, they took pc gaming culture to a whole another level, in USA, usually you see an isolated dude who wanna start making videos to afford his expensive rig, this isn't a culture of pc gaming at all.
Ah that's your point, in that case i believe they'd rather spent that money on a new card but i'll keep an eye on what happens over there never thought about it that way.

Boss Mog

Their big mistake is the 2TB SSD, they could've knocked 100€ off the price with a 1TB. Let people buy their own storage. I already have a 2TB drive in my PS5 that I could just move over to the Pro, I'm sure that's the case for many potential buyers.

I feel like MS pressured them into it with their 2TB Series X model.

BlackTron

I migrated from PS4 to PS4 pro, price/performance wise it offered something decent if you owned a 4K tv.
I've yet to buy a PS5, owning a decent gaming PC has not made it worthwhile, but there are enough games now that I've been thinking about it and was waiting for the Pro announcement to seal the deal.
£700 without a drive is absurd, I'd much rather get a cheaper slim now to finally enjoy Demon's Souls, Stellar Blade and Astro Bot etc. And those games look/run great already.

Literally exactly me copy paste this. The Pro, plus drive, plus extra controller/s, before buying a single game. If you do already have a PC and PS4 Pro, how can you be arsed to do this for a grand all in? A few games most of which will end up on PC anyway? Instead of waiting for Pro I think I was really waiting to snipe a used one with a few controllers on FB Marketplace for <300. The market could see a deluge of people dumping their base 5 in reaction to Pro existing.

Astray

People imagining a high price for the Switch 2 are the same as those who thought the PS5 Pro would cost less than the standard PS5. And yes, some people here actually thought that.
I can only speak for myself, I personally called this kind of pricing on multiple occasions.

I personally want to ask you, do you honestly think Jensen Huang of all people is going to cut Nintendo a good deal on SoCs?

Past posts of mine on PS5 Pro pricing:

June 2024:
I think the fact that Microsoft felt safe to price that 2TB Series X at $600 says a lot about how confident they are that Sony will price the PS5 Pro above that.

August 2024:
Absurd price hike.

So much for people who think the slim will get a price cut after the pro comes out.

Guaranteed we don't see the pro come out for less than $700 now.

Last edited:

twilo99

Gold Member
and the US isn't?

I don’t think the fanboyz in the US have the same tenacity but regardless, this thing is going to sell much better than expected and everyone will get real quiet when they post their revenue and sales.

The Sony brand in gaming is almost equivalent to Apple’s in consumer electronics, so they can pump even further in my opinion.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

In America we’d have a line out to the parking lot, right? Japan might not see it as a frugal way to spend money when the base PS5 is cheaper, there are computers they can buy for a high price, and the Switch 2(?) is probably months away from being announced (probably).

Last edited:

Same ol G

I don't think Sony cares mate.
This is something i'm afraid of and seeing how they closed japan studio's you could definitely be right.
Also when the console doesn't sell over there it's easier for developers to skip the console so less japanese games for playstation

Top Bottom