• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Pricing Discussion Thread

Astral Dog

Its just a pro model, the PS4pro didn't end up replacing the original PS4 model just complemented it, doesn't matter much except for the hardcore with some extra $$$

Last edited:

Neofire

You can just not buy it. You don't even have to pay attention to it. Just continue on a PS5.
This, people love creating drama when there isn't. With high inflation and the economies of a lot of nations gone to shit....."oh Sony is getting arrogant again" when they are making sure they aren't losing their asses on the pro when it's released.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

Sure, sure. I bet you didn't know about the >$1000 pricetag of the 2022 card in 2023 when you made that post either.
if i knew anything about that stuff i wouldnt have needed to ask now would I :). I dont even know what your point is yet. But Again...comparing a computer to a console. Someday you guys will learn the difference, but i wont be the one to teach you because i dont have the patience for this

They've been back for a while now. Should have seen some of this coming with all the shit that totoki guy was saying about increasing profits. Its even worse than early PS3 sony because they have no direct competition now.

Last edited:
No offense but that is a bad take. Acting oblivious to the problem doesn't suddenly make the problem go away.

Burying your head in the sand to not see the problems or acknowledge them is what makes these companies more and more greedy in the first place.
It's not greed if you've been paying attention to the economy worldwide. Everything is rising. The notion that its down to greed is funny. I'd understand the discourse if this was the PS6 and 799 was the entry point into it, but its 499 entry point into it. Apple will launch the iPhone 16 soon, probably for 999 or whatever, and a Pro model for 3-400 more. People are more than happy to shell out extra on that, yet Sony is demonised for offering a better, optional PS5.

Bond007

Its optional obviously.
Just ignore it and move on.

For me, i hope it struggles and it comes down to the lack of disc drive. Thats my own self interest in not going the digital route.

PS3 released in 2006 for a price of $599 USD. In today’s dollars that comes out to $936. That’s not even the “true” inflation. Home prices have gone up exponentially, whereas wages haven’t kept up the same way.

Upon release it was criticized for being too expensive, having no games, and being a bad buy overall. Xbox 360 wasn’t far behind. It was $100 cheaper but had a slew of its own problems (not even considering the RRoD fiasco which ended up costing Microsoft billions).

The PS5 Pro is cheaper than all that and infinitely more powerful. You also have the option of buying a lower cost alternative. Games are the same price as they were in those days. They used to be released for $59 USD, which comes out to $93 today. Most games are $60 or so brand new.

I will continue being a PC gamer because this is still the most affordable and best way to play. Yes, upfront it seems more expensive, but for a few hundred dollars more you can build a great gaming PC. That will give you choice in peripherals, storefronts, and platforms. You get endless backwards compatibility, emulation, can do so much more, and have far more freedom.

Gaming is very affordable entertainment in comparison to everything else and still amazing value for your money. In some ways it’s even more affordable.
Don’t blame gaming/hardware companies, blame your politicians.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Tried to warn you guys. Most people wont pay for that. Physical is done.
The writing has been on the wall for 15 YEARS for physical media.

For everyone hoping onto the PC bandwagon we don't hear a peep about it there.

Mtv Reaction GIF

midnightAI

This really isn't about arrogance. This is about the CFO of Sony, who was their interrim CEO earlier this year. He wants margin above everything so they can juice the stock price of Sony corp. If people paid attention to what was being said in the past few quarterly financials, you knew this was coming. Sony is done taking a loss on hardware.
Except its highly likely the PS6 will be subsidised by some amount at launch. Pro isnt to get the masses to buy it, its there for the people who want an upgrade. The base PS5 isnt going away so people have the choice to pay for the base PS5 or pay a premium for the Pro. MS did exactly the same at the beginning of the gen instead of mid-gen (bad idea), the difference is Sony know that a Pro console isnt the main to the masses console.

HogIsland

This is "we need to protect our margins" Somy, so they create extra ways to generate revenue from enthusiasts through accessories and hardware upgrades.
And subscriptions! $80 per year to play online! Something that costs them close to nothing on a per-user basis.

And not only is it nasty to customers, it sabotages regular multiplayer game development in favor of free to play business models.

FeralEcho

To be fair, it's only a problem if it's a need. This obviously is not.
It's a need for Sony as a company though which means if this goes well for them because people keep saying it's a non issue they'll think "well fuck me, let's make PS6 1000 $ It's not like it's a problem for these people"

And only then it becomes a problem for YOU as a consumer...nothing a company does is without consequence even if it doesn't concern you as a consumer now it might bite you in the ass when you do need a product from them and then it'll be too late to change shit.

Happened with Xbox too and how many blind fanboys told them what a good job they were doing during the Xbox one era despite everything being on fire.Now we see how well it worked for them.

If PS fans don't speak out now they might end up as the xbox fans of yesterday.

ap_puff

Easy to be arrogant when you have zero competition
I think that Sony will find that PC and Nintendo are very easily going to become the competition, especially with prices like these. I'm getting the PS5 Pro but they're definitely cashing in the goodwill with casuals. I expect the ps6 to have the longest cross-gen period ever.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Peak pc shill, seriously look in the mirror

You never cry foul at pc prices which are monstrous in comparison.
Really?

Which is completely ass-backwards. NVIDIA has completely shifted the market to the point budget options are absolute shit. The 4060 is barely faster than the 3060 which in turn wasn't even that much faster than the 2060S. The 60 cards have effectively been stagnating for over 3 years which is insane considering 60/70 tiers have traditionally been the sweet spot when it comes to price/performance.

That the 4090 was actually a better deal than the 4080 until January when the latter dropped to $1000 is utterly insane.
The cards are way way overpriced
NVIDIA has been charging us more while giving us less over the years. People were outraged at the $1000 2080 Ti. Well, the 4090 is a $1600 4080 Ti.
It really doesn't but seeing that it's the second or third most powerful GPU on the market and FAR stronger than almost everything else, it is a good product. Just grossly overpriced.
Unlike you who spends his time fellating Sony. You utterly refuse to call them out on insanely stupid decisions. PS+ is $80 when it was $50 not even that long ago. "I don't play online."

Last edited:

scydrex

I voted "no" purely because we've been dealing with arrogant Sony the entire generation. It didn't just start.

(1) Base PS5 has never dropped in price. In fact, it has increased in price in some regions.

(2) $200 pro controller.

(3) A portable that's not actually portable.

(4) A VR headset that's more expensive than the associated console.

(5) Remaster, port, remaster, port, live service trash, repeat.

And the sad part is, they can get away with nearly all of it because they're beating their competitors so severely.
Damn bro. Sell the PS5 and move to pc. Honestly that's bad.

Aenima

This is my current plan. Do you think it means I shouldn't call it out as a shit value proposition for some reason?
Its a high end product for a product that already exist. Just like the Dualsense Edge is crazy priced. You can try again this same topic if the PS6 has a crazy starting price as thats a product that will be aimed for the masses. PS5 Pro is not aimed for the masses.

Last edited:

Hohenheim

All tech is getting more expensive (just like most other stuff).
In europe a regular ps5 slim is almost 650 dollars. The rog ally x is 1000 dollars and a rtx 4090 is 2000 dollars.
Its inflation and poor currency.
It sucks, but it's not just "arrogance".

GymWolf

Gold Member
People know how much i was hyped for pro and now i'm thinking about passing...

I need to know more about the actual difference in games, almost fidelity quality at 60 fps and probably not on all titles (good luck running gta6 at nowhere near close 60 locked fps with that cpu).

I'm all about spending even 1000 dollars for a pro console, but the upgrade must be fucking SUBSTANTIAL and this only sound like a better gpu with a couple of abstract improvements that we know shit about (better rtx and better upscaling).

It's amd hardware so i doubt that they are gonna reach dlss quality or nvidia rtx quality, sony can have his IA but they didn't started feeding data to the IA ad soon as nvidia started (i think).

Sony can't even come up with something similar to ue5 big features in their proprietary engines (from what we seen until now) but they are gonna make a better upscaling than amd has ever done with not even a fully sized gpu? press PRO to doubt...

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Really?

Unlike you who spends his time fellating Sony. You utterly refuse to call them out on insanely stupid decisions. PS+ is $80 when it was $50 not even that long ago. "I don't play online."

Bro, look at my post when Sony upped the price of ps plus

I immediately turned off auto renew. I do not think it’s worth it

The ps5 pro price is higher than expected by about $100, but the way the chip market is fucked right now thanks to NVIDIA and AI I don’t think it’s greedy either, they probably weren’t going to make any margin on $600

I didn't know Ken Kutaragi had a GAF account.

You can call me a troll or a shill all you want, but this is an honest and fair opinion. I think I’m being reasonable overall.

I don’t have a PS5, nor Xbox, this generation because I believe they make no sense in comparison to a gaming PC. I stopped at PS4, had almost every console and handheld (except Xbox One) before then.

Vick

Gold Member
I just had a Thread closed.. it hosted this comparison:

TNaIVcY.png

Along with these questions:

Can "high end console gaming" ever be a thing?

Or should every machine within the Console realm be imperatively as affordable as possible to the masses?
Should the option of playing current generation games at 60fps with high resolution and pristine IQ, along with higher settings, remain an unattainable dream for every kind of individual willing to purchase a console, if it traslates into $699?

Apparently, the answer is yes.

Edit:

Nevermind, just realized the Thread was just merged with many others.

Jennifer Lawrence Oops GIF

Apologies, staff working extra hard today.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I've no idea how much the hardware costs to make, but not including the stand could be a gesture towards reducing waste, which I applaud. Or to attempting to make some money on hardware that is being sold close to break even, which is ok too.

But the alternative is that they're trying to gouge people and think they'll get away with it. The price of the stand suggests that to be the case.

Same thing with the disc drive.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Bro, look at my post when Sony upped the price of ps plus

I immediately turned off auto renew. I do not think it’s worth it

The ps5 pro price is higher than expected by about $100, but the way the chip market is fucked right now thanks to NVIDIA and AI I don’t think it’s greedy either, they probably weren’t going to make any margin on $600
Lol at you thinking Sony's greed has anything to do with NVIDIA. Sony realized just like everybody else that enthusiasts will pay through their eyeballs for premium products. I wouldn't be bitching so much if they hadn't taken out the damn disc drive.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Lol at you thinking Sony's greed has anything to do with NVIDIA. Sony realized just like everybody else that enthusiasts will pay through their eyeballs for premium products. I wouldn't be bitching so much if they hadn't taken out the damn disc drive.

If they really wanted to price gouge you they could have gone much higher

Truth is you have no idea what this costs and the markups are probably not massive, especially compared to other products

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yeah the disc drive is a really low blow for a 800 euros console without even a stand.

Robb

Gold Member
The PS3 price was absolute insanity though. Not sure why you’d think that comparison would be in any way favorable.

The market sets the price. If this sells like crap, which it should, it’ll go down whether Sony likes it or not.

PS3 released in 2006 for a price of $599 USD. In today’s dollars that comes out to $936. That’s not even the “true” inflation. Home prices have gone up exponentially, whereas wages haven’t kept up the same way.

Upon release it was criticized for being too expensive, having no games, and being a bad buy overall. Xbox 360 wasn’t far behind. It was $100 cheaper but had a slew of its own problems (not even considering the RRoD fiasco which ended up costing Microsoft billions).

The PS5 Pro is cheaper than all that and infinitely more powerful. You also have the option of buying a lower cost alternative. Games are the same price as they were in those days. They used to be released for $59 USD, which comes out to $93 today. Most games are $60 or so brand new.

I will continue being a PC gamer because this is still the most affordable and best way to play. Yes, upfront it seems more expensive, but for a few hundred dollars more you can build a great gaming PC. That will give you choice in peripherals, storefronts, and platforms. You get endless backwards compatibility, emulation, can do so much more, and have far more freedom.

Gaming is very affordable entertainment in comparison to everything else and still amazing value for your money. In some ways it’s even more affordable.
Don’t blame gaming/hardware companies, blame your politicians.

Sure, it's price fairly for how much it likely costs to make the console. It's just a bad idea and terrible value.

splattered

If this is priced "fairly" then Sony should have waited until pricing on bleeding edge tech comes down a bit and put out the PS6 at a much more reasonable price.

Unfortunately i think this thing is going to bomb hard.

Would have stood a much better chance even at $599 digital.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
ah yeah comparing the price of technology from 1990 to 2024 lol. You cant spit without hitting a CPU today, when the ps1 launched it would have been first of its kind
That is how things and inflation works. If PC parts are more expensive today (not counting covid prices), why should consoles stay the same prices?

Top Bottom