• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Pricing Discussion Thread

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
is. It's part of the GPU, therefore, already included in the bigger GPU cost that I mentioned.

Ok so it’s a cost, that’s settled

Already did for the memory and storage. RDNA2 is 4 years old and RDNA2 GPUs and Zen 3 CPUs are cheaper now than they were in 2020. Are we supposed to believe that it's cheaper for everyone else except for Sony? What?

I said for the apu

There’s no evidence the price has decreased

Last edited:
No matter how much the usual suspects try to justify and explain the price increase, it simply doesn’t add up

Inflation and the “AI boom” do not account for a 75% price increase for an equivalent product 4 years later - it just doesn’t.

Especially when you consider how underwhelming the specs are of the Pro.
I have to assume that a factor in determining the cost of the console was "how much is $699 going to actually be worth over the next few years?" so that they don't have to have a future price increase with inflation. If the trend from 2020-2024 continues its trajectory, $700 for a high-end game console might seem cheap by the time the PS6 releases in 2028
But then you realize that smartphones, laptops and pretty much all tech is cheaper in 2024 than it was in 2020 accounting for inflation.

PS5 Pro is literally the only thing more expensive now than it’s equivalent was 4 years ago - and fairly significantly so.

Last edited:
Sony fanboys working overtime! Even Ass of Can Whooping Ass of Can Whooping has noped out of this one lol
Sad Joe Biden GIF by GIPHY News

SkylineRKR

The PS5 costs 550 right now, how would the Pro ever going to be less than 650? Its about value proposition too. The main caveat here is the ridiculous EU price. I would've preordered it for 699 probably. 799 is just too much.

I sincerely hope the Pro will bomb with that price cause if it won't then prepare your asses for the same price range for their next console.
But people will probably defend that too.

I think it will sell. And I think next-gen will cost the same. And that will also sell. PS5 sells well at 550 bucks right now, 4 years into the market.

I don't defend it, I wait and see. But I think consoles will no longer launch at a loss anymore, and won't ever have a price below 550 again. The PS3 was an anomaly that was more expensive than the PS4 and X1 systems were at launch. But since we've gone to 499/549 and people happily hand it over, despite the systems being relatively old by now. Next gen will go a step further for sure.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Ok so it’s a cost, that’s settled
The 67% larger GPU is a cost, duh, but we already mentioned that.
I said for the apu
What do you think an APU is? It's a CPU and GPU on a single die. They can be (and are) manufactured separately.
There’s no evidence the price has decreased
Except that every component has. If the components have decreased in price, surely, the combined product cannot retain the same price, can it?

My point is everything is overpriced and ridiculous in the tech sector.
Like what?

Just to use Apple, all of their 2024 tech is the same price now as the 2020 tech was 4 years ago

Which, adjusting for inflation means they’re selling everything cheaper now than they did 4 years ago.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Inflation and the “AI boom” do not account for a 75% price increase for an equivalent product 4 years later - it just doesn’t.

Especially when you consider how underwhelming the specs are of the Pro.

It’s not an equivalent product, it’s a better one

Undoubtedly part of the price is a higher margin, in 2020 they were eating a loss

What do you think an APU is? It's a CPU and GPU on a single die. They can be (and are) manufactured separately.

Does the cost of designing RT grow on trees?

Except that every component has. If the components have decreased in price, surely, the combined product cannot retain the same price, can it?

Graphics chips are not components that have gone down in price

Natsuko

in Europe and UK this isn't going to sell at all at that Price
i'm expecting a price change before 2025

A few years ago it might have been. These days? With inflation? When we can read in the media that people are sometimes considering whether they would rather heat their homes or buy food? Probably not. Pro consoles have never been for people who don't have much money anyway. The target group for such devices has always been limited. But I've seen so many people worrying over the last few months who otherwise never had worries about money. Maybe the launch devices will sell because some core fans who can still afford it these days really want the Pro. But demand is likely to collapse shortly after launch at the latest.

Sw0pDiller

U can buy a 500 dollar one with a disc drive right ??
Is the pro stil worth it for almost 300 dollars more with a drive and a stand ?
I live in europe and ps5 disk version is 550 euro and diskless is 450
Euro. 800 euro is a fuckton lot more money. Is the price relatieve to the tech? I feel yes. It is worth it? I dont know, i need more videos. But i like to own this kinda stuff so prob gonna sell my fat DE edition and buy a pro down the line. I dont need a diskdrive.

It sucks! Bad.

And not just when it comes to gaming, on high end collectibles for instance we literally have to pay almost twice as much as what a US customer spends. And it actually looks like it's getting even worse each passing day somehow.

beyonce bitch please GIF

You're probably top 5 most hardcore fanboys on this entire site.. have some self respect for once.

Just going by what Cerny said:

iTo5deT.png

But I assume Cerny's wrong?
I mean just use your eyes and look at that still shot. Do you see a big upgrade?

DryvBy

Like what?

Just to use Apple, all of their 2024 tech is the same price now as the 2020 tech was 4 years ago

Which, adjusting for inflation means they’re selling everything cheaper now than they did 4 years ago.
They just sold a $3000 headset that was worse than the Meta 3 lol. Try again.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
in Europe and UK this isn't going to sell at all at that Price
i'm expecting a price change before 2025

Dream on.

They are selling this at a profit, so no matter if it takes twice as long to shift their initial production run, they won't be losing money,

At the end of the day its significantly more expensive than expected, but by overall tech standards is still in the mid price-point range.

The reality is that in Europe a 4070 super and PS5 controller is liklely going to set you back more! A 4090 being near enough triple the price!

It’s not an equivalent product, it’s a better one
You keep on using this flawed fallacy

PS4 is Sony’s best console in 2013 and costs $399.99

PS4 Pro is Sony’s best console in 2016 and costs $399.99

iPhone 12 Pro is Apple’s best phone in 2020 and costs $999.99

iPhone 16 Pro is Apple’s best phone in 2024 and costs $999.99

PS5 is Sony’s best console in 2020 and costs $399.99

PS5 Pro is Sony’s best console in 2024 and costs $699.99

This whole “it’s a better console” argument you keep making is moronic at best and ignores everything about tech advancement in general. By your logic, the PS4 Pro should have cost $599.99 because it was a way better console than the PS4.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
Thread title was changed? or merged into another thread?
Multiple Threads merged.

I don't envy Mods at all at the moment. lol

He is drunk or talking about RT performance only.
Oh right, what an incompetent/sneaky little fella that Cerny guy..

Head Finger GIF by HORNBACH

The image on the right was deemed a catastrophic joke of misguided pricing and disconnected executive leadership on this board just yesterday.

PS5 Pro is DOUBLE the price of the PS4 Pro launch in EU.

These products will sit on shelves and those who wait rationally will be rewarded.
Well, if you are indeed right you'll be for sure rewarded, by having actual games to use the Pro with instead of those few PS4 native one and a literal couple of current gen only games like Wukong and Silent Hill 2 I'll be playing at release.

Indeed. Let's not do this man.

It's a way for sony fanboys to feel like they still win I think. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Sony fanboys are just mad they 'lost' an exclusive to have in list wars. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Didn't think NXgamer was gonna let his darling Sony get overshadowed for even a day did ya?
Hey, a true Sony fanboy would never game on a PC. Nut job card revoked.
I guess that's why Sony fanboys spat their dummies out on the first page
One and done. Another weekly sony fanboy thread crying about DF
This is gonna hurt the souls of Sony bros who think their games are crown jewels.
Sony bros have gone off the deep end
God I love this thread. Sony bros Vs the world
I wonder why all the Xbox guys have moved away from gaf, it's annoying because now all the Sony warriors troll PC threads as they have no Xbox warriors to target lol.
This thread once again shows that to some, everything is overrated until Sony do it.
Oh dear, everyone's out to get Sony huh?
I said only Sony fangirls hate DF because of them being too close with MS and my post gets edited because apparently I'm gaslighting.
If only Sony gave them another month! One thing they should actually be Soony about
Yet the Sony bros were jizzing all over it on release. I think they'd be happy with cross gen PS4 based games forever! They seem to herald them as the second coming of christ every time yo. Crazy times we live in

UwwFzsx.jpg

And I realized I was in Page 2 of 8 of the first section, with other 8 pages and then other 8 more, then 8 more, once again 8 more, then I simply stopped going forward.

You're free to be whatever you want and mock whoever you want, just take a good goddamn look in the mirror from time to time.

I mean just use your eyes and look at that still shot. Do you see a big upgrade?
But it was never going to be, just as I don't see a "big upgrade" when going from 1.5K graphic card to the next one.

When I look at that picture I see a proper Graphics Mode at 30fps vs 60fps on a Console. That's a Console I want.

Last edited:
Europe gets to pay 1999 for 4090s - someone must be paying these prices.

Wait for Switch 2 to get introduced at 499$ next.
That would perfectly account for inflation when you consider the $350 price tag of the switch in 2017 though. That’s the difference.

The PS5 Pro goes way beyond what inflation suggests it should. Way beyond.

$350 in 2017 is $450 in 2024, so Switch 2 at $450 to $500 makes a ton of sense.

PS5 Pro at $700 doesn’t

Gaiff

Does the cost of designing RT grow on trees?
It's on the GPU. Are you also going to separate a game's graphics technology from its overall budget? Ridiculous.
Graphics chips are not components that have gone down in price
Every RDNA2 GPU that is still being manufactured is cheaper now than they were in 2020. So are Zen 3 CPUs, which is what the PS5 is.

https://www.techpowerup.com/299148/amd-cuts-msrps-of-radeon-rx-6000-series-graphics-cards

Now I realize you're stonewalling and wasting my time. Every single component cost less now than 4 years ago (which is logical), yet you're arguing the total wouldn't necessarily decrease. Incredible logic my man.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
It's on the GPU. Are you also going to separate a game's graphics technology from its overall budget? Ridiculous.

Yes and Sony pays for the GPU…

Now I realize you're stonewalling and wasting my time. Every single component cost less now than 4 years ago (which is logical), yet you're arguing the total wouldn't necessarily decrease. Incredible logic my man.

Is it lower cost because it’s no longer being mass produced and is on clearance effectively?

When you compare it to the 2TB Series X with a disc drive at $600, $700 or $780 with the disc drive sounds like a steal. ha!
Nobody is even bringing that into the discussion except people defending the PS5 Pro. Xbox plays no part in the decision to purchase this, they are already done. There is no actual competition here.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

This whole “it’s a better console” argument you keep making is moronic at best and ignores everything about tech advancement in general.

You just showed that prices are more industry based

The highest iPhone starts at $1200, btw.

How much was the iPhone in 2013?

Gaiff

Yes and Sony pays for the GPU…
Which I mentioned about 10 times with the larger GPU part? You tried to add RT as an additional cost to the GPU...but it's part of it. This was my point.
Is it lower cost because it’s no longer being mass produced and is on clearance effectively?
The article I linked is from 2022, months before RDNA3 arrived. They were still being mass-produced.

proandrad

This whole “it’s a better console” argument you keep making is moronic at best and ignores everything about tech advancement in general. By your logic, the PS4 Pro should have cost $599.99 because it was a way better console than the PS4.
Man… you are ignoring a lot of apple numbers to make your argument.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
That would perfectly account for inflation when you consider the $350 price tag of the switch in 2017 though. That’s the difference.

The PS5 Pro goes way beyond what inflation suggests it should. Way beyond.

$350 in 2017 is $450 in 2024, so Switch 2 at $450 to $500 makes a ton of sense.

PS5 Pro at $700 doesn’t

The only reason to sell at break-even or loss is because your entire ecosystem is based on a volume sales model, and you need commodity numbers as fast as possible.
A "pro" console is for obvious reasons always going to be a minority of volume sales, hence selling it at a profit is the obvious choice because its purpose is to complement a commodity offer, not be the totality of it.

This is just how the market works! It looks more extreme than it actually is because of what's happened economically post-Covid.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Which I mentioned about 10 times with the larger GPU part? You tried to add RT as an additional cost to the GPU...but it's part of it. This was my point.

The article I linked is from 2022, months before RDNA3 arrived. They were still being mass-produced.

Do you think a $100 margin on a console greedy?

IPhones have massive margins. Expecting the same pricing strategies as consoles is stupid

Nobody is even bringing that into the discussion except people defending the PS5 Pro. Xbox plays no part in the decision to purchase this, they are already done. There is no actual competition here.

It's the latest console to release. Seems like the best comparison when considering market factors like inflation.

The only reason to sell at break-even or loss is because your entire ecosystem is based on a volume sales model, and you need commodity numbers as fast as possible.
A "pro" console is for obvious reasons always going to be a minority of volume sales, hence selling it at a profit is the obvious choice because its purpose is to complement a commodity offer, not be the totality of it.

This is just how the market works! It looks more extreme than it actually is because of what's happened economically post-Covid.
Then why was the PS4 Pro $399 then if they didn’t care to “take a loss” on it.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Last edited:
Ok so 10 years and now 2x the cost

Inflation hasn’t been 2x
Wrong. Hyper premium iPhones that were introduced in 2017 should not be used to compare to regular iPhones.

2013 iPhone 5s - $649
2024 iPhone 16 - $799

Adjusted for inflation, the 2024 iPhone is cheaper.

Got anything else?

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

You know what, I'll just get a ps5 pro when the 6 comes out, that way hopefully the price will be down enough for me to afford it. If history repeats itself, there should be enough cross gen games to carry me for a few years.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
$100 too much. Should had been $600 digital. $650-700 with drive.

PS5 digital is $450 and drive is $500. $50 more.

So comparatively speaking, Pro digital is $700 and digital + drive is $780. $80 more.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Wrong. Hyper premium iPhones that were introduced in 2017 should not be used to compare to regular iPhones.

2013 iPhone 5s - $649
2024 iPhone 16 - $799

Adjusted for inflation, the 2024 iPhone is cheaper.

Got anything else?

The old versions were the hyper premium phones. Why are you comparing phones to consoles anyways?

The old versions were the hyper premium phones. Why are you comparing phones to consoles anyways?
No they weren’t. They were just as “premium” as the regular iPhones are now.

Hyper premium models didn’t exist then, Apple introduced the first one in 2017 and it was a big deal.

Why do you keep making disingenuous arguments that you know are disingenuous?

Last edited:

Doczu

Pro consoles have never been for people who don't have much money anyway. The target group for such devices has always been limited.
Not exactly. PS4 Pro and One X launched with base system launch prices, right? Well can't say for sure for Xbox as i didn't own one and too lazy to check.
This time they are seriously limiting their audience.

4 Pro had 15% marketshare at 400$, what percentage will the 5 Pro have at over 900 EUR?

Last edited:
Top Bottom