• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro/PSSR Appears to Provide Better Image Reconstruction than DLSS Running on a 4090 GPU

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I was curious and went looking back on DF comparisons of PS5 resolution/fidelity modes with a 4090 DLAA max settings, and preliminary comparison suggests to me that PSSR is potentially a vastly superior solution. I gathered the limited samples from today's Cerny tech talk where base PS5 fidelity mode was compared to PS5 Pro that doubled frame rate in addition to improving effective resolution. For the DF comparisons, I have Spider-Man Miles Morales and Horizon Forbidden West where, again, Alex compares 4K DLAA max settings image quality to PS5 fidelity modes (unfortunately, DF didn't use Fidelity mode for their Ratchet PC analysis). I won't point out the differences, instead I'll let you be the judge and see which ML upscaling technique appears to provide more impressive uplifts. Of course this is early days and I'm not claiming PSSR is definitively better, as 3rd party games might be a completely different scenario. But I still think the possibility of even first party games on PS5 Pro besting top of the line GPUs in image quality is a big deal.

PS5 Pro PSSR vs PS5 Fidelity Mode (Spider-Man 2/Ratchet):

KIjK72i.jpeg

zOzepdj.jpeg

4090 DLAA Max Settings vs PS5 Fidelity Mode (Spider-Man Miles Morales):

cSSpz6O.jpeg
s4ITVl9.jpeg

4090 DLAA Max Settings vs PS5 Fidelity Mode (Horizon Forbidden West):

BSVWHuD.jpeg
FtyhvGb.jpeg

6oKF0nC.jpeg
HVU0879.jpeg

TrippleA345

zOzepdj.jpeg

There is definitely potential here. The Ps5 Pro version runs at 60fps vs 30fps at 4k on the left. So the more powerful system has improved the frame rate, but that probably wasn't enough, they also lowered the render resolution to maybe 2k.... . But then PSSR improves the image quality to a degree that is superior to 4k/30fps. The little clip in the Fidelity vs Ps5 pro video shows clearly recognizable improvements, basically everywhere.
fidelity mode looks blurry compared to the PSSR image , very noticeable in the video too
yeah, but i think this is how the game looks like at 4k. Somebody need to make comparisons.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I was curious and went looking back on DF comparisons of PS5 resolution/fidelity modes with a 4090 DLAA max settings, and preliminary comparison suggests to me that PSSR is potentially a vastly superior solution. I gathered the limited samples from today's Cerny tech talk where base PS5 fidelity mode was compared to PS5 Pro that doubled frame rate in addition to improving effective resolution. For the DF comparisons, I have Spider-Man Miles Morales and Horizon Forbidden West where, again, Alex compares 4K DLAA max settings image quality to PS5 fidelity modes (unfortunately, DF didn't use Fidelity mode for their Ratchet PC analysis). I won't point out the differences, instead I'll let you be the judge and see which ML upscaling technique appears to provide more impressive uplifts. Of course this is early days and I'm not claiming PSSR is definitively better, as 3rd party games might be a completely different scenario. But I still think the possibility of even first party games on PS5 Pro besting top of the line GPUs in image quality is a big deal.

PS5 Pro PSSR vs PS5 Fidelity Mode (Spider-Man 2/Ratchet):

KIjK72i.jpeg

zOzepdj.jpeg

4090 DLAA Max Settings vs PS5 Fidelity Mode (Spider-Man Miles Morales):

cSSpz6O.jpeg
s4ITVl9.jpeg

4090 DLAA Max Settings vs PS5 Fidelity Mode (Horizon Forbidden West):

BSVWHuD.jpeg
FtyhvGb.jpeg

6oKF0nC.jpeg
HVU0879.jpeg

you are comparing a games that haven't been ported to pc not at the best they can be. it does look really good ps5 pro though

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

but what about the 60fps
That’s what Performance Mode on PS5 is for? If it dips - grab a Steamdeck from someone and check how fluid 45FPS is. Maybe devs can also use it, since it requires way lower resources.

I just see this as a marginal upgrade. My opinion is: I would be looking long and hard to double the budget and get a proper gaming PC, since I know this is a much better solution “dollar for dollar”.

Last edited:

TrippleA345

zOzepdj.jpeg

There is definitely potential here. The Ps5 Pro version runs at 60fps vs 30fps at 4k on the left. So the more powerful system has improved the frame rate, but that probably wasn't enough, they also lowered the render resolution to maybe 2k.... . But then PSSR improves the image quality to a degree that is superior to 4k/30fps. The little clip in the Fidelity vs Ps5 pro video shows clearly recognizable improvements, basically everywhere.

yeah, but i think this is how the game looks like at 4k. Somebody need to make comparisons.
Ok i looked up at footages, in the fidelity mode there is something wrong. Those retards cannot even capture normal footage from the ps5???

Hudo

If there were similar comparisons for 3rd party games in the PS5 Pro tech talk then I would have included them.
Then I would say it's far too early to even attempt any comparisons. Let the Pro come out first, and then let's re-examine what's what.

I suspect that what we'll see is that PSSR is going to be better in some instances and DLSS is going to be better in other instances.

Yep. Same place I got the DF screen grabs. So what's the issue?
We need more accurate data and youtube has bad compression. I do think there is some secret sauce here as you are implying, since Sony/Cerny is known for doing these things, but I just want to see it at full quality to appreciate it.

Traxtech

Since the fidelity modes are 30 fps the motion blur on them is quite high, even to the point where you'd probably want to turn them down and that shows in those stills.

Can't really tell much from the reveal tbh, we need in hand reports but if they can give us 30fps quality mode visuals in 60 fps or higher that will be a win.

In saying that, I'm a big fan of 40fps/120hz so what happens to that now. Out the window, apart from normal PS5?

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Compression destroys fine details, period. And you are judging fine details here. You tell us whether comparing smeared details Vs another set of smeared details will give any sort of conclusive evidence either way?

What exactly is your argument? Both PS5 models are dealing with the same level of compression interference, same goes for the DF comparisons. We are analyzing the uplift delta between DF and Sony comparisons, not the image quality independently.

Elios83

Too early to make such comparisons based on the youtube video, actually I look forward to see more in action but I'm sure it will be really good.
Cerny stated clearly the goal was to have fidelity quality at 60fps as a general rule and as a design goal.

FireFly

What exactly is your argument? Both PS5 models are dealing with the same level of compression interference, same goes for the DF comparisons. We are analyzing the uplift delta between DF and Sony comparisons, not the image quality independently.
We don't have like for like shots, so it's a kind of imagined comparison. But I think the point is that if compression flattens detail, then we would expect the highest detail image to suffer the most.

Vick

Gold Member
Yeah thats not how the game looks in fidelity mode on ps5... Its super crisp. These compressed youtube videos are pointless for these comparisons
For real. Image quality on Insomniac games is insane in Fidelity, native 4K plus temporal injection on top, they're absolutely immaculate and feel carved in stone, to suggest we could notice differences in small compressed TY grabs is insane.

Only thing I can really judge in these motion blur filled pictures (for Fidelity) is actually the shadow from the tree in the first screenshot, looks like it could be RT shadows on the Pro.
And that would interesting if true, as it means Fidelity at 60fps plus additional RT.

Last edited:
More likely to be result of motion blur and 30fps vs 60fps there OP...
You need to have the same framerate and same visual settings and then turn the image reconstruction on and off for an actual comparison.

Top Bottom