• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro/PSSR Appears to Provide Better Image Reconstruction than DLSS Running on a 4090 GPU

Ashamam

Problem on clarity comparisons here is that one video feed is of a 60fps game, therefore having completly diffrent motion blur effects then a 30fps game.
Well for starters in that Ratchet shot have a look at the damaged wall texture. Can't tell me that the texture differences are due to motion blur, there is a whole different level of detail. Same goes for the bottom of the boot. Level of detail in the distance also looks higher on the Pro. It looks like in general PSSR is preserving a whole lot more detail in the upscale.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

Well for starters in that Ratchet shot have a look at the damaged wall texture. Can't tell me that the texture differences are due to motion blur, there is a whole different level of detail. Same goes for the bottom of the boot. Level of detail in the distance also looks higher on the Pro. It looks like in general PSSR is preserving a whole lot more detail in the upscale.

Dunno, looks like the wall is just blurry in the native image. Seems like it could be just motion blur to me.

I had the same reaction to the video as the OP when I went through it carefully and made comparisons. The Pro shots all looked clearly better than native, which really doesn't make much sense (I know technically it's possible, but not to such an extent, surely). The more I looked, the more puzzled I was. Not only did the Pro look better, but the native shots actually looked kind of soft and smudged.

Then I came in here and was reminded about the motion blur on a 30fps image. To me that explains it. I think PSSR will be really good, probably DLSS level, but I don't think these shots tell us anything definitive.

Neofire

Jake Gyllenhaal No GIF
"On par or slightly better than a PC solution.....your crazy!" Shows proof....."your crazy!" Lol GD people can't just be glad with progression that will be good for the industry.

Calverz

Wow. Absolute delusional. Ps5 pro is running on amd hardware. To date amd have failed to match dlss in almost every scenario. FSR3 is still no match for dlss. Yet somehow you think Cerny has magically made pssr better than dlss? Something amd’s hardware engineers have failed to do with even more powerful chips they have? Deluded

Rudius

Wow. Absolute delusional. Ps5 pro is running on amd hardware. To date amd have failed to match dlss in almost every scenario. FSR3 is still no match for dlss. Yet somehow you think Cerny has magically made pssr better than dlss? Something amd’s hardware engineers have failed to do with even more powerful chips they have? Deluded
AMD never used AI upscaling. The RDNA 4 tech on PS5 is the first time we are seeing that. PSSR is not FSR.

PaintTinJr

So, if it is so mature. Why is DLSS so far ahead of FSR and XESS?
That's a disingenuous question if you understand what you are looking at and why FSR is what it is IMO.

Far ahead? Well only when being hypercritical. FSR as a upscaler for weak hardware does a fantastic job and looks good for what it does. The choice between lower resolution or low frame-rate native or higher resolution or higher frame-rate via FSR is 100x the improvement versus the delta in quality of using DLSS over FSR in 99% of situations, especially when DLSS is vendor specific and reliant on a not insignificant hardware feature: the tensor core, which in itself is as powerful as the integrated GPU of most users that benefit most from FSR, so in reality has no purpose for inclusion in many of those discussions when the choice between a doubly powerful integrated GPU or adding tensor/DLSS hardware to the existing GPU would result in the former being choosen.

Then you've got XeSS from new discrete GPU entrant Intel that have followed Nvidia's path with a Tensor arrangement ASIC to do the XeSS AI upscaling. The results are close enough to DLSS that the delta is far smaller than the delta between FSR and XeSS, which the delta is mainly because as market leader Nvidia already have huge advantage of market share, high profit volume manufacturing and cheaper cost to go big on die size to include potentially idle silicon like tensors, and have large AI market share to include more powerful tensors on their chips, and along with marketing deals in abundance have all the ingredients to be in front of a new entrant like Intel.......PlayStation and Sony on the other hand

Akuji

PSSR =/= FSR

but thanks for showing ur concern.

Zathalus

Yes it's actually just a confirmation of how PSSR seems to perform: really, really well, likely similar to DLSS. The small comparison using Ratchet from the leaked document already showed similar improvement. The AA seems less aggressive here and we can see abit more specular aliasing but overall it's much more pleasing and detailed. It also doesn't seem to exhibit the main problem of DLSS: the less detailed textures, we can actually see more detailed textures in all games shown.
DLSS hasn’t reduced the visual clarity of textures in years.

We still haven't seen any kind of RT in any Guerrilla games, even running on PS5 Pro.

They have devkits of Playstation hardware that can do RT since...2018. That's 6 years now. What are they waiting for? What are they doing?

Akuji

Cool. So pssr will have better upscaling than dlss on a 4090?
DLSS is not card specific, so its just DLSS, in a comparison. That is for us to check. 4090 can run at much higher fps and res, so the Upscaler has way less to do.Also on PC there are not 2 modes to compare but you can put the settings to however u want.
I get that ur coming from "but the topic of the thread is" which is understandable. But saying PSSR is bad because FSR is bad isnt better then saying 4090 level graphics is what we can expect from the ps5 pro.

So dont fight the hyperbole with hyperbole but with facts and a clear mind, then ull be more sucessfull in the long run. look at what the fuck were discussing.

Nobody in their right mind expects PS5 Pro to compete with a 7800x3d + 4090 + 128gb 6200mhz / cl 30 setup.

PaintTinJr

I don't think so, maybe?🤔
o0u9wCh.jpeg
What are people saying is the problem? The red arrow marked shadows in the left shot on PS5 are too hard for the distance away compared to depth cueing and the openness of the area for indirect secondary lighting to illuminate and soften the shadow IMO.

It might look less pleasing in digital imagery to have such weakened shadows, but I pretty sure it is more coherent to the scene's actual lighting simulation,

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
So you're telling me Sony is going to better DLSS on their first try?
No Way Smh GIF by MOODMAN
This isn’t new technology anymore and they can build it into hardware and customize it to their machine. Remember they did CBR before anyone else. They’re not new at this.

Last edited:
I can some wild claims in here but it's interesting if PssR in a closed (console) box environment will yield boosts/efficiencies that PCs can't provide - I believe its possible but let's wait and see.

Last edited:

truth411

I highly doubt PSSR is equal in performance to DLSS 3.5 or whatever version it is right now. But if PSSR can match performance of DLSS 2.3x, I think that would be excellent for console games. IMHO.

Last edited:

Nihilum

This isn’t new technology anymore and they can build it into hardware and customize it to their machine. Remember they did CBR before anyone else. They’re not new at this.
It took NVIDIA quite a while to get DLSS right. The first iteration was pretty underwhelming, the second iteration (Control / Anthem) was much better but actually didn't use the GPU tensor cores.
It's only quite recently that DLSS has really stood out as the go to upscaling solution.

AMD's FSR doesn't come close to matching DLSS for image quality, neither does Intel's XeSS.
So the idea Sony will have a competitor to DLSS straight out of the gate is quite a reach.

PaintTinJr

DLSS is not card specific, so its just DLSS, in a comparison. That is for us to check. 4090 can run at much higher fps and res, so the Upscaler has way less to do.Also on PC there are not 2 modes to compare but you can put the settings to however u want.
I get that ur coming from "but the topic of the thread is" which is understandable. But saying PSSR is bad because FSR is bad isnt better then saying 4090 level graphics is what we can expect from the ps5 pro.

So dont fight the hyperbole with hyperbole but with facts and a clear mind, then ull be more sucessfull in the long run. look at what the fuck were discussing.

Nobody in their right mind expects PS5 Pro to compete with a 7800x3d + 4090 + 128gb 6200mhz / cl 30 setup.
But I do expect PSSR to improve at a rate much faster than DLSS or XeSS because it only needs trained for PlayStation's native results, and because the training will likely have the best AAA training data from all PlayStation's past gens.

I also expect PSSR to manage an extra tier of resolution at the same upscaled output quality because of texture quality on PlayStation, so if PSSR can do 1080p to 4K at the same quality as DLSS/XeSS can do 1440p to 4K, then the additional headroom on PS5 Pro rendering to do native fx at 1080p , that then carry to 4K, versus DLSS needing all those fx at 1440p native to get 4K.

Or I could see PSSR allowing PS5 Pro to do 720p to 1440p and then seeing comparison between 1440p to PC 4K(DLSS 1440p)being small fidelity differences, but with the native 720p on PS5 Pro giving much more scene object complexity, making the upscaled Pro 1440p image look superior in some ways.

Last edited:

Loxus

What are people saying is the problem? The red arrow marked shadows in the left shot on PS5 are too hard for the distance away compared to depth cueing and the openness of the area for indirect secondary lighting to illuminate and soften the shadow IMO.

It might look less pleasing in digital imagery to have such weakened shadows, but I pretty sure it is more coherent to the scene's actual lighting simulation,
I get what you and the others are saying but isn't this thread about PSSR being better than DLSS running on 4090?

Those shadows aren't helping to prove OP's point.

PaintTinJr

I get what you and the others are saying but isn't this thread about PSSR being better than DLSS running on 4090?

Those shadows aren't helping to prove OP's point.
But PSSR has been correctly trained to upscale them coherently that way, from a native image rendering them that way, so it neither proves or disproves IMO without a side by side with native rendering being similar.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It took NVIDIA quite a while to get DLSS right. The first iteration was pretty underwhelming, the second iteration (Control / Anthem) was much better but actually didn't use the GPU tensor cores.
It's only quite recently that DLSS has really stood out as the go to upscaling solution.

AMD's FSR doesn't come close to matching DLSS for image quality, neither does Intel's XeSS.
So the idea Sony will have a competitor to DLSS straight out of the gate is quite a reach.

“Quite recently” - like the past three years. Like I said it’s not new technology, and Sony has been working on smart AA and up scaling for a long long time, even if this is their first foray into “AI” based up scaling. And like Nvidia and unlike Intel and AMD they are designing it around their own hardware and have had quite a while to work on it.

We will see what happens but I don’t think it is so absurd that they come out with a great solution comparable to DLSS at least.

PaintTinJr

Yeah if you think Sony can outdo Nvidia on Ai upscaling, who have several years on and countless amount on R&D; I have something to tell you.
My spare old Sony KD-55X9005A 4K tv that launched the PS4 and UHD 4K tvs has a dual database(neural net) inference upscaler (the X1 chip) in it which still makes most non-Sony TV upscalers look like rubbish even a decade later. Watching a 1080p netflix feed of something like the Punisher or Better Call Saul looks native 4K blu-ray quality.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

Maybe and maybe that shot is something strange going on but to me that shadow in the Pro shot looks bad
It is probably a reversal of the FSR situation looking good in stills but breaks down in motion. The RT in that situation will completely alter when viewed in motion, and look far more natural as a complex lighting simulation.

Top Bottom