• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro/PSSR Appears to Provide Better Image Reconstruction than DLSS Running on a 4090 GPU

Nihilum

So you're telling me Sony is going to better DLSS on their first try?
No Way Smh GIF by MOODMAN

FeralEcho

I'm genuinely wondering if the people buying this shit will actually play the games or just look at the fps counter and count the pixels.

I'm barely seeing much difference in those zoomed in still images,in-game you won't notice shit unless you play 2ft away from a 100 inch screen.

This is ridiculous. DF ruined an entire generation.

I won't point out the differences, instead I'll let you be the judge and see which ML upscaling technique appears to provide more impressive uplifts.
Why not point them out? It's hard to take a lot of these threads seriously when it is clearly absolute nonsense that the PS5 Pro will provide better image quality than a 4090 (which is leagues ahead in terms of power). It's all sounding more like justification to spend £700 on the system.

whyman

800 euros worth of improvements! Sony is so out of touch with the market. New loyalties to other brands are being formed in Europe. I guess it is not a market they are for anymore. Nintendo will crush them with Switch 2.

Taycan77

You Sony guys just need to accept this L from Sony.

There is no way that PSSR will beat DLSS.

THe hardest Copium I've ever seen going on from hardcore sony guys about this absolute mess of a product.
AI upscaling is a pretty mature technology these days.

The differences are marginal across the board.

DLSS will always push the bleeding edge, but it's not a huge leap to think PSSR can be very comparable, at least with image upscaling. Cerny and AMD have had 3-4 years to assess the competition and design hardware/software specifically for this task.

Ashamam

lol they are probably using AMDs upscaling tech and slapping their own name on it. Nvidia’s upscaling is the gold standard. No the PS5 isn’t better.
Nope. Everything points towards it being Sony's implementation, at least in software, but possibly hardware elements are to their specification as well.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
AI upscaling is a pretty mature technology these days.

The differences are marginal across the board.

DLSS will always push the bleeding edge, but it's not a huge leap to think PSSR can be very comparable, at least with image upscaling. Cerny and AMD have had 3-4 years to assess the competition and design hardware/software specifically for this task.

So, if it is so mature. Why is DLSS so far ahead of FSR and XESS?

Akuji

Yes, if you pause it and Zoom 10x, definitely how people play games.

I don’t know about you but when I see that wall in Spiderman on my peasant PS5 - totally immersion breaking, makes me want to quit gaming right there and then.
well you need to, to deal with yt compression. Overall sharper Image is clearly visible to the eye when u play it.

Dont go from just yt videos to a definitive conclusion. In how this stacks up to a DLSS is another thing and a 4090 can just render it native ...
so yeah, theres certainly some hyperbole in here but the underlaying message could be meaningfull.

So, if it is so mature. Why is DLSS so far ahead of FSR and XESS?
I´ve been told around here that they are all within striking range of each other and that ML-expertise really isn`t a factor because it`s all based on old tech.....

Just like a 2024 car is absolutely comparable to one from 1920 because they are both using wheels.....

The denial on these boards about tech hirarchies and complexity is very strong in some people`s heads.

Last edited:

cireza

Gold Member
Some of these pictures in OP have been inverted. The first one for the 3 side by side comparison for sure. Just shows how much people don't see shit lol.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
fidelity mode looks blurry compared to the PSSR image , very noticeable in the video too
Probably because one is 60fps and the other is 30. If you try to catch a still shot of a 30fps game, it'll look blurrier due to the longer image persistence and effects such as motion blur lasting an extra frame.

Based on those shots at least, I have no idea. I wouldn't dismiss PSSR though.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
Probably because one is 60fps and the other is 30. If you try to catch a still shot of a 30fps game, it'll look blurrier due to the longer image persistence and effects such as motion blur lasting an extra frame.

Based on those shots at least, I have no idea. I wouldn't dismiss PSSR though.
there are a couple of shots in the video where the camera is not moving but clarity of the PSSR image is visibly superior , but yea need to see a deep dive for this tech

zOzepdj.jpeg

There is definitely potential here. The Ps5 Pro version runs at 60fps vs 30fps at 4k on the left. So the more powerful system has improved the frame rate, but that probably wasn't enough, they also lowered the render resolution to maybe 2k.... . But then PSSR improves the image quality to a degree that is superior to 4k/30fps. The little clip in the Fidelity vs Ps5 pro video shows clearly recognizable improvements, basically everywhere.

yeah, but i think this is how the game looks like at 4k. Somebody need to make comparisons.
Yes it's actually just a confirmation of how PSSR seems to perform: really, really well, likely similar to DLSS. The small comparison using Ratchet from the leaked document already showed similar improvement. The AA seems less aggressive here and we can see abit more specular aliasing but overall it's much more pleasing and detailed. It also doesn't seem to exhibit the main problem of DLSS: the less detailed textures, we can actually see more detailed textures in all games shown.

Last edited:

Akuji

Problem on clarity comparisons here is that one video feed is of a 60fps game, therefore having completly diffrent motion blur effects then a 30fps game.
The devs, atleast i would image, put more motion blur on a 30fps game to make it look smoother. At 60 you need much less since u just need the movements to blur a bit, like in real life and not just have everything blur because ur framerate is so low, to make it look like its smooth, but well, blurry.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
there are a couple of shots in the video where the camera is not moving but clarity of the PSSR image is visibly superior , but yea need to see a deep dive for this tech
I actually need the characters and backgrounds to remain still, but whatever the case, it’s pointless. The best way to compare is synced shots in slow motion to spot artifacts. Can’t do that now.

PSSR looks good though.

StueyDuck

Im sure there is some advantage to being an integrated reconstruction into the OS and Hardware which is dedicated to gaming vs something like DLSS which is running mostly on hardware which can be used in a variety of scenarios on any variety of builds. But that being said as others have mentioned, lets just wait for the final thing before making and grandeur statements.

This is all Machine Learning after all and as many know, the more layers and nodes you have the deeper your model can learn, for all we know it's only been trained on first party titles since inception, we'll have to see what a 3rd party game running both the latest dlss and pssr can produce side by side as well as what sort of artifacts can occur, maybe pssr falls into the ghosting category but has a cleaner image, we just can't tell yet from very handpicked examples from sony on a youtube video.

Last edited:

FireFly

But its not DLSS, we should be comparing the lower resolution upscaling techniques.
It uses DLSS to upscale to a higher resolution (I believe 8K in this case). Then it gets downsampled back to 4K. So it's like SSAA but not quite as good.

But yeah, it would be a big suprise if PSSR could match DLAA.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
We will see this showdown play out when DF compares Alan Wake 2's upgrade. Remedy are guaranteed to use PSSR in the upgrade patch.

akira__

The issue with this is, and why the presentation bombed.

With compression on those images it's just not really visible. And if it is, it's really in the realm of diminishing returns.

Top Bottom