• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Specs Leak are Real, Releasing Holiday 2024(Insider Gaming)

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Ideally, you should want your favorite game to have the PS5 graphics mode option and in such cases resolution wouldn’t be native 4k.

bitbydeath

3ra5B2t_d.webp

I played that game with a 2070S and a 3700X, and I had significantly better performance on that area. At over 70 fps.
DF's machine, has a memory latency of 90ns. Which is insanely high for a Zen2 CPU. And it really hurst performance.
zen 2 truly is awful its by a landslide the worst aspect of the console

70-80fps to 120 is a 50% increase using 80fps as the baseline. This never happens.

"I don't need DF." You sure as shit do because your magic PS5 is performing almost like a 3090 and we're all dying to see it in action.
thats not performing like a 3090...

Fornite on the consoles uses dynamic resolution with TSR with a 4K target and the range is 864p-1836p. The average according to epic is 55% of 4K or 1188p. DF's analysis said it's comparable to High settings on PC. That's in the 60fps mode. The 120fps mode also gets rid of software virtual shadow maps, Lumen and Nanite.

I can't find something similar for the 2080 Ti because it's too old, but here is a 4060 running it at 1080p/High/Nanite and Lumen off and no dynamic resolution. He gets 200fps+.

Shortly after, he also runs it at 1440p with the same settings and gets over 130fps.

No way does a 2080 Ti with 120fps mode PS5 settings and resolution gets a paltry 70-80fps..

thats a nice cpu hes using to say the least... you cant help yourself with this can you

I think adds to the discussion and it can be informative but some posters use the pc comparison to belittle pro not saying you I think your always fair when comes to console and pc chat
his discussions arent fair at all if your familiar with him & prepare to be lambast if you oppose him

It performs slightly faster then a 2070 Super, roughly around what a 2080 would do. At no point does the performance match a 2080ti. And yes, the source is Digital Foundry, unless you have data that indicates otherwise?

According to the leaked specs, the 4070 will be more powerful then the pro. You are free to believe the specs are fake, but then discussion around what GPU is equal to the pro is pointless. It also comes off as hopium considering the number of different sources we have for the leak.
here are a couple (im not going to go into the egregious problems i have with alex & his methodology) (im aware this vid is ultra settings but its the first one i can find that isnt using a stacked out cpu compared to the ps5 one) heres another one although i dont like the cpu for comparison here are nx gamers results pre & post patch i wont list a timestamp to avoid cherry picking scenes like i critcize a lot of people for doing so you can compare

Don’t bother. This guy has been told repeatedly to multi-quote, but he ignores it. He also claims the Pro will be on average on the level of a 4070 Ti and 4080 in exclusives. He comes back every few months in those threads to say nonsense and post 3-6 times in a row. Probably a troll.
im not the one calling people trolls when i disagree with them. I wasnt present here for months cause of life circumstances but i felt it was important to come back briefly because of the topic at hand

We as a community have to stop this disparaging tone towards others in discourse even if we dont like a response. this idea to ignore someones post & label you a troll because you have assertions is so asinine to clarify every statement ive had about this topic my price, spec, & performance claims do diverge from most here but its not because im trolling its because of what ive seen & can envision if sony was willing to actually push (which they avoided with the ps5 & really the ps4). my 699 price point for example wasnt in relation to the leaked specs (they absolutely wouldnt justify that) i already said i have various qualms with the leaked specs like the cu count, clock speed, & the rasterization improvement my 699 price point was always in relation to an rdna 4 chip (closely based between the 8700xt & 8800xt with a mid range zen 5 chip like an 8700x & i dont care if im called a troll at this point there is no way a 4080 (unless you pull an alex and give it a cpu 3x the power) would outperform these specs in games like last of us (we have seen how that game runs on pc) if anything i find it insane to think the contrary, being faceitious about someone helps no one even if you disagree for reference if the leaked specs were true yes it would be quite a stretch to say it would perform like a 4080 even in those games but i dont believe at least half of the leaked specs & it sounds like gaiff is implying my theoretical specs would still get outperformed by a 4080 which if I am honest sounds preposterous

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
no one taught me i started using gaf in 2022 so its been a process getting used to all the features.
There are two ways to go on about that. You can either hit reply to a post. The quoted post will appear in at the bottom where you can reply. You can add as many posts as you want there and reply to all of them separately in the same post.

The second way is to click the +quote button under every post you want to reply to. This will memorize them. Then, in the small box at the bottom where you reply, you click "Insert Quotes", this will paste all the posts you multi-quoted and you will be able to reply to all of them individually within one post.

That’s it. You do that and stop posting 10 times in a row.

Zathalus

here are a couple (im not going to go into the egregious problems i have with alex & his methodology) (im aware this vid is ultra settings but its the first one i can find that isnt using a stacked out cpu compared to the ps5 one) heres another one although i dont like the cpu for comparison here are nx gamers results pre & post patch i wont list a timestamp to avoid cherry picking scenes like i critcize a lot of people for doing so you can compare

Those performance videos support the fact that the PS5 is performing like a 2080. Looking at the 1440p very high results the game never drops below the low 60s at the very worst, that is with a 2080 Super so knock off a few fps for the regular 2080 and you’re sitting with performance that never drops below 60 or 59/58 at most. Other scenes have the GPU in the high 70s or 80s. The PS5 drops to 1440p as well, and has fps drops well under 60 during cutscenes and heavy sections of the game. They seem quite similar overall.

As for the CPU? For AC Valhalla specifically it really doesn’t matter, even the ancient Zen 1 1800 can clear 60fps with ease in this game.

Preseznik

Neo Member
But how does that fix their credibility that Sony's own idea of the best of PlayStation consoles (a 'Pro') is a model with no means of using physical media by default out of the box? and has similar vibes of controlling consumers in a negative way just the same as the Xbox One online requirement did and the XSS does, and projects the PS6 will look to kill physical media at launch.

Mr.Phoenix Mr.Phoenix thinks this is about price, it isn't about that at all, because a £900 PS5 Pro with a drive by default and as the default model doesn't have that problem at all.
If it's bundled, it does support physical media out of the box.
I must insist, that this is a non-issue if they do that.

Even if they don't, it still makes sense. People who want a cheaper Pro can just not buy the addon, the rest can pretend it's part of the full price, which it in actual fact - is.

saintjules

Gold Member
We as a community have to stop this disparaging tone towards others in discourse even if we dont like a response. this idea to ignore someones post & label you a troll because you have assertions is so asinine to clarify every statement ive had about this topic my price, spec, & performance claims do diverge from most here but its not because im trolling its because of what ive seen & can envision if sony was willing to actually push (which they avoided with the ps5 & really the ps4). my 699 price point for example wasnt in relation to the leaked specs (they absolutely wouldnt justify that) i already said i have various qualms with the leaked specs like the cu count, clock speed, & the rasterization improvement my 699 price point was always in relation to an rdna 4 chip (closely based between the 8700xt & 8800xt with a mid range zen 5 chip like an 8700x & i dont care if im called a troll at this point there is no way a 4080 (unless you pull an alex and give it a cpu 3x the power) would outperform these specs in games like last of us (we have seen how that game runs on pc) if anything i find it insane to think the contrary, being faceitious about someone helps no one even if you disagree for reference if the leaked specs were true yes it would be quite a stretch to say it would perform like a 4080 even in those games but i dont believe at least half of the leaked specs & it sounds like gaiff is implying my theoretical specs would still get outperformed by a 4080 which if I am honest sounds preposterous

Paragraphs please.

demigod

I can totally see Sony dropping the base console prices and pricing the Pro at $599-$649 max with disc. There is no way they are losing money on these consoles. XSX is $50 off right now at Target.

Mr.Phoenix

no one taught me i started using gaf in 2022 so its been a process getting used to all the features.
That isn't true. You have been taught multiple times. But just like you do when it comes to your technical discussions, you have somehow managed to keep ignoring them. I mean just look at this page, there has to be a rule about a poster making 9 of the first 11 posts on any page.
The reason people are advised to ignore you... is not because of your different opinions, its because you do not listen. Even when your opinions have been thoroughly addressed, even in light of overwhelming evidence and explanations... you would just keep spouting the same rhetoric as if you exist in a vacuum. Over, and over, and over again.

That is why some here... think you are a troll. Cause that is what trolls do.

Eg. You are doing the exact same thing yet again, with this CPU thing. It has been explained to you many times over, why the PS5 does not "need" a much more powerful CPU. But you ignore that and seemingly want it to be more powerful just for the sake of it.
There are two ways to go on about that. You can either hit reply to a post. The quoted post will appear in at the bottom where you can reply. You can add as many posts as you want there and reply to all of them separately in the same post.

The second way is to click the +quote button under every post you want to reply to. This will memorize them. Then, in the small box at the bottom where you reply, you click "Insert Quotes", this will paste all the posts you multi-quoted and you will be able to reply to all of them individually within one post.

That’s it. You do that and stop posting 10 times in a row.
He has been thought this exact thing before.

Even if they don't, it still makes sense. People who want a cheaper Pro can just not buy the addon, the rest can pretend it's part of the full price, which it in actual fact - is.
Exactly.

It's like some of us here just woke up one day and forgot what a peripheral is. The disc drive has been peripheralized. And as such we should start looking at it from the lens of what Sony would do with a peripheral.

Sony can legitimately release a PS5pro without a disc drive, and no one can really say anything as long as it supports the already available disc drive add-on. We can't even go "they should have added the disc drive in the box and made the box more expensive" because of how stupid that would sound. If you are willing to pay more for it to be "bundled" in... then you should have zero qualms about buying the drive separately.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

It isn't whether it supports physical, of course it will, it is about what it means for the PS6 future for someone maybe dropping £54 on a physical copy of Astrobot, today and already thinking that the PS6 in 3-4 years won't support physical for the full generation.

We've already been down this digital road will film and partially with music, and I'm sure Sony has the numbers to know how many gaming consumers like me - that no longer buy or even rent films - they will lose when there is no good optical ownership option because there's no legal mechanism and DRM free solution to freely rip that media and use it digitally like we can with Music.

Mr.Phoenix

As much as I want you to be right, didn't Sony just announce a PS5 price increase in Japan last week?

I don't get why people keep saying this without adding in the context. Then again, I take it that if they added that in... or they knew it... then they wouldn't need to say it.

Here is the context.

In 2020... at the time of the PS5 launch, for $1, you spent Y109. For more perspective, the PS5 launched in Japan for what was the equivalent of $480.

In 2024, $1 is now Y160. This means that if they keep prices the same, they are selling the PS5 in Japan for around $350.

See the problem, this is not a price hike per se... its a readjustment to get it back to what it is supposed to be. More or less.

It isn't whether it supports physical, of course it will, it is about what it means for the PS6 future for someone maybe dropping £54 on a physical copy of Astrobot, today and already thinking that the PS6 in 3-4 years won't support physical for the full generation.
I understand your concern. And I would be lying if I said I could say anything reassuring. But the fact of the matter is that Sony can make a PS6 that breaks BC partially simply by not shipping it with a disc drive, or even making a disc drive attachment for it.

But I believe they would never do that. I believe they will always make a disc drive add-on available, and that is because they sell it as a peripheral,. meaning they sell it at a profit. It could mean that come the PS7, the add-on is a $250 novelty but they will still make one.

In a manner of speaking, the disc drive is now being accessorized to ensure it stays around forever.

We've already been down this digital road will film and partially with music, and I'm sure Sony has the numbers to know how many gaming consumers like me - that no longer buy or even rent films - they will lose when there is no good optical ownership option because there's no legal mechanism and DRM free solution to freely rip that media and use it digitally like we can with Music.
now this part... I believe I said in another post... that now is the time, during this transitional phase, that the rules should be set in stone. Its now we should be pushing this agenda. Ensuring that there is a way for us to copy whatever we have on our SSDs, either to an external drive or just plug in an off the shelf BR drive and RIP it.

Let the DRM be an account key, meaning you can only install the media on a console that you have signed into, or let us have the right to sell our access key for the digital content, which will mean we can RIP, add our sold key to the RIP, forgoing access to the context, and sell that off to someone else.

Thes are the conversations we should be having, instead of trying to remain the last bastion of a dead format.

Last edited:

Little Mac

Gold Member
I don't get why people keep saying this without adding in the context. Then again, I take it that if they added that in... or they knew it... then they wouldn't need to say it.

Here is the context.

In 2020... at the time of the PS5 launch, for $1, you spent Y109. For more perspective, the PS5 launched in Japan for what was the equivalent of $480.

In 2024, $1 is now Y160. This means that if they keep prices the same, they are selling the PS5 in Japan for around $350.

See the problem, this is not a price hike per se... its a readjustment to get it back to what it is supposed to be. More or less.

You are absolutely right. My point was I just don't see Sony announcing a base PS5 price "correction" (due to inflation) a week or so before announcing a price adjustment that lowers the cost of the base ps5 for the sake of a $600-650 Pro. Again, I'd love to be wrong here.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

You are absolutely right. My point was I just don't see Sony announcing a base PS5 price "correction" (due to inflation) a week or so before announcing a price adjustment that lowers the cost of the base ps5 for the sake of a $600-650 Pro. Again, I'd love to be wrong here.
Well I understand where you are coming from. However, If you think about it, the opposite is not just likely and smart... its also necessary.

What happens if a PS5 price drop has been on the cards all year? What of if Sony knew that when they introduced the pro, they would also be doing a $50 price drop across the board for the base PS5. Across all regions?

Wouldn't that necessitate the price adjustment in Japan beforehand? Or else they did be selling it in Japan for $300!!!!!! when everywhere else its around $400.

My way of looking at it, is that price readjustment in Japan is the first step to take to dropping the PS5 price globally, and not a sign that says the price of the PS5 will be going up globally.

Traxtech

Selling it without a disc drive is smart business, because they can price it so the masses don't cry(yet spend triple that on a phone every year..? ) with the option to add the drive instead of a higher buy in price.

Loxus

what did you study?
Technical and Vocational Teachers' Training Programme in Adult Ecudation
This, including a Diploma in Carpenty, Masonry, and Architectural Drafting.

My next step is an Associate Degree in Building and Civil Engineering.

This is how i developed the mindset of thinking about different possibilities because when you enter a classroom to teach, you have to be prepared.

Not all students are the same, you encounter different personalities, levels of understanding and everything doesn't go as planned.

So when it came to the PS5 Pro, i kept an open mind on what could happen, but now it's clear what to expect (specs, cost, release date, design, etc.).

Including what I'd like to see for the PS6, which would probably be far from this.
PS6 specs speculation thread is gonna be fun times.
bzlkySA.png

9IZ6HlV.png
qECWG6D.png

KevinK15

Neo Member
Also the Pro will probably come with a revamped Dualsense controller with 12hr battery which was accidentally leaked by Best Buy Canada a little while back.
L4Epjfv.jpeg

Mr.Phoenix

This is how i developed the mindset of thinking about different possibilities because when you enter a classroom to teach, you have to be prepared.

Not all students are the same, you encounter different personalities, levels of understanding and everything doesn't go as planned.

So when it came to the PS5 Pro, i kept an open mind on what could happen, but now it's clear what to expect (specs, cost, release date, design, etc.).

Including what I'd like to see for the PS6, which would probably be far from this.
bzlkySA.png

9IZ6HlV.png
qECWG6D.png
With the exception to the HBM stuff, the PS6 will likely look like that. Everything AMD has been doing basically is saying that is the most efficient way to build the PS6. They would likely forgo HBM, use 24GB of GDDR7 and probably go with 48-64MB of infinity cache.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Well I understand where you are coming from. However, If you think about it, the opposite is not just likely and smart... its also necessary.

What happens if a PS5 price drop has been on the cards all year? What of if Sony knew that when they introduced the pro, they would also be doing a $50 price drop across the board for the base PS5. Across all regions?

Wouldn't that necessitate the price adjustment in Japan beforehand? Or else they did be selling it in Japan for $300!!!!!! when everywhere else its around $400.

My way of looking at it, is that price readjustment in Japan is the first step to take to dropping the PS5 price globally, and not a sign that says the price of the PS5 will be going up globally.

This makes absolutely no sense.

A price drop in other regions doesn't mean Japan would also get a price drop. There would be little to no reason to increase the price in Japan only to decrease it again a month or two later.

Not to mention if they were planning a price drop there would be a stronger forecast for the fiscal year.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I hope if and when the Pro releases that users that have an additional SSD in their PS5 that is quite full that removing and installing it into the Pro doesn't automatically format the SSD otherwise for the uninitiated people that don't realise that will happen, some are going to be mighty pissed to have to download / install all their games again.

Last edited:

bzlkySA.png

9IZ6HlV.png
qECWG6D.png
PS6 won't be RDNA anymore, not 12 CPU cores (developers still can't properly multithread with 8 cores) and certainly not 48MB of L3 ram. LOL. That stuff is too expensive in die size.

Aaravos

Neo Member
Looking forward to the next couple of weeks however I think it's a bit of a missed opportunity from sony not having a playstation showcase showing the pro with with three of four first party studio announcements would have been great way to build up hype for maybe the rest of this generation

IDWhite

Why are you still talking about the I/O Unit when it's about CPU accessing Data on the GDDR6 memory.

Because it takes a huge workload off the CPU and its own cache, which means that the CPU's accesses to GDDR6 are minimized.
You cannot compare the Ps5 CPU with that of a PC and not take into account that on PC you have to do all I/O operations on the CPU, and perhaps the decompression can be done on the GPU but it also affects the performance.

Of course, accesses to the GDDR6 penalize the CPU, but if you have other units with their own cache that are responsible for taking work away from it, you are reducing the amount of cache needed in the CPU and the need for it to have to access more frequently to memory.
The I/O Unit is only responsible for data coming off of the SSD and going to the GDDR6 memory.

The I/O unit is not only responsible for moving data from SSD to GDDR6, it has units that are responsible for many other things that directly affect CPU and GPU performance, among other things it is responsible for mapping and memory checks and communicates with the CPU and GPU caches to avoid unnecessary data erases.

In the case of bandwidth vs latency.
Bandwidth is the amount of data you can send and receive in one second. Latency is the amount of time used by data to reach its destination and come back.

In the case of the CPU, the time used to access data in GDDR6 hurts CPU performance, whereas adding more CPU cache can improve fps.

What's so hard about that for you to understand?

Thats not de correct definition.

Bandwidth is the amount of data you can send and receive in one second. Latency is the amount of time used by data to reach its destination and come back.

The one who doesn't seem to see that bandwidth affects the amount of data you can move in the same unit of time is you.

Aaravos

Neo Member
Looking forward to the next couple of weeks however I think it's a bit of a missed opportunity from sony not having a playstation showcase showing the pro with with three of four first party studio announcements would have been great way to build up hype for maybe the rest of this generation
Just saw the other thread if Sony are announcing multiple first party games at the end of the month why not call this a showcase instead of a state of play? maybe they will we'll see

//DEVIL//

Kojima is notorious for pushing graphical fidelity in his titles - at the very least DS2 will be a showcase title for the Pro.

Good chance we'll see the TGS DS2 showcase running on the Pro
I don’t know . I didn’t see much difference if any from the trailer of DS2 and DS I played ( only first few levels I don’t know why I dropped it )

But maybe because I was playing it on PC. Even though I thought the game looked good on the PS5 too.

As for the drive, I would say that it would exist as long as retailers want/demand a drive be available and want to sell first run games.

Making it an optional add on makes it easier for it to go away eventually.

Preseznik

Neo Member

Right, I guess you're assuming the PS6 won't support a PS5 slim type bluray addon.
I believe it will, so that's why I don't see this as a problem.

Obviously I would prefer if this was a certainty, so I see where you're coming from.

PaintTinJr

Right, I guess you're assuming the PS6 won't support a PS5 slim type bluray addon.
I believe it will, so that's why I don't see this as a problem.

Obviously I would prefer if this was a certainty, so I see where you're coming from.
Well I wasn't even thinking about that, mostly because the design of the PS6 will be completely different stylistically to the PS5 to maximise marketing product mind share of being a new product - like the opposite of Wii to WiiU.

Originally we had the futuristic minimalist mat grey bevelled box tray look of PS1 with Benetton accent colouring, and with PS2 that was changed to sharp edged mat black and accent blue shoebox.

Then there was another huge change up to a premium curved shinny black with accent reflective silver in beefy Foreman grill shape for launch PS3. Next we saw a return to PS2 colour scheme on Ps4 but with split of mat and reflective, black separated by a futuristic looking light strip and with the sharp straight lines of the PS4 subtly finished with tiny edge curvature but with a parallelogram shape in the flat box tray shape first tried in the PS1.

And then we got this mat white with accent black defensive traffic bollard design like an ugly office floor fan or router, and that is what the current drive accessory has a complimentary design for,

The PS6 is almost guaranteed to drop the defensive design style and revert to a main black or grey colour with straight lines which wouldn't work with a PS5 drive by aesthetic even if it somehow could work technically.

Without PS6 having a non-removeable drive that confirms the optical will get support for the full gen like PS5, I'm almost certainly out of PlayStation, and that's my main reason to be concerned by what they communicate indirectly with what they do with the PS5 Pro default drive situation.

Last edited:

SonGoku

With the exception to the HBM stuff, the PS6 will likely look like that. Everything AMD has been doing basically is saying that is the most efficient way to build the PS6. They would likely forgo HBM, use 24GB of GDDR7 and probably go with 48-64MB of infinity cache.

bzlkySA.png

9IZ6HlV.png
qECWG6D.png
IDK RDNA5 and Zen 6 sounds way too soon, i dont expect PS6 to release till at least late 2027 early 2028 and by that time whatever comes after RDNA5 and Zen 6 will be on the table

Or are you all expecting PS6 late 2026 early 2027?

Last edited:

Bitstream

IDK RDNA5 and Zen 6 sounds way too soon, i dont expect PS6 to release till at least late 2027 early 2028 and by that time whatever comes after RDNA5 and Zen 6 will be on the table

Or are you all expecting PS6 late 2026 early 2027?
Now that the 5pro is all but confirmed, lets commence bickering over the 6! What sort of minimum specs we hoping for? Lets aim for 5080~90 minimum, show me 32 gigs of ddr8!

Top Bottom