• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro vs Rough Equivalent PC Specs

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Obviously raytracing performance makes a huge difference. But taking Cerny saying "calculation of the rays at double, or even triple the speed of the Playstation 5" and then just tripling the framerate from 21 to 63 is a ridiculously silly and asinine assumption to make in what to expect performance-wise.
Yeah ray tracing performance roughly doubled between RDNA2 cards and RDNA3 cards but you still wouldn't consider them good for RT.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Someone create a list of parts.
Give me the sites to grab the parts from (US based please)
I will build this "miracle pc" and I will capture some metrics (video etc) of games running on both platforms. The games will be Sony specific titles (I have most of them on steam...think I am missing Horizon) and we will compare performance metrics for load times, resolution, fps, etc.

A few notes:
The folks quoting parts in this thread seem to think that DDR4 memory is fine, great use that.
The test will use Windows 11 Home.
The test will use Steam.
I can run multiple Video Card comparisons for folks that want to compare equivalent Nvidia and AMD cards to what the PS Slim uses.
Yes, we can already find this information on YouTube...but I am not an influencer, I don't make YouTube content, and I am just a regular person that frequents Gaf...I want to run this experiment with folks on gaf.
I am genuinely interested in working with the community here on Gaf to run this HTV....lets fucking go!

We will review the findings AND retest the week the PS5 Pro comes out.

Sorry for pulling these folks in especially if you are avoiding these specific threads (apologies to you all) but I don't want this to be biased from my end. OverHeat OverHeat and GymWolf GymWolf , it would be great if you look over and bless the specs before I buy them on the PC side, and Topher Topher Ass of Can Whooping Ass of Can Whooping would review the specs for the Monitor/TV and PS5 Slim unit I will use for the console side.

Is there a consensus in what a ps5 pro pc might cost.
No. I have it at $850 if everything is from scratch. Others have it at over $1000.

KyJRCwx.png

Closest with PS5 CPU being ancient (but at least build CPU is old enough to have its own CPU fan :ROFLMAO:). With keyboard+mouse ($20), controller ($40), and OEM Windows code ($20) it costs about $850. Three years of PS Plus could cover the difference in price. Steam Deck 2 is going to likely be the best value proposition for PC gaming in a year.

P.S. If the player wants an upscaling solution that is not dependent on developer then Lossless Scaling would add another $7.
P.S. A cheap $12 upgrade of 4500 to 5500 CPU is recommended for slightly better than console bottleneck. Accessories can be found cheaper to make up the difference.

Last edited:

twilo99

Gold Member
I will build this "miracle pc" and I will capture some metrics (video etc) of games running on both platforms. The games will be Sony specific titles (I have most of them on steam...think I am missing Horizon) and we will compare performance metrics for load times, resolution, fps, etc.

A few notes:
The folks quoting parts in this thread seem to think that DDR4 memory is fine, great use that.
The test will use Steam.
I can run multiple Video Card comparisons for folks that want to compare equivalent Nvidia and AMD cards to what the PS Slim uses.
Yes, we can already find this information on YouTube...but I am not an influencer, I don't make YouTube content, and I am just a regular person that frequents Gaf...I want to run this experiment with folks on gaf.
I am genuinely interested in working with the community here on Gaf to run this HTV....lets fucking go!

Sorry for pulling these folks in especially if you are avoiding these specific threads (apologies to you all) but I don't want this to be biased from my end. OverHeat OverHeat and GymWolf GymWolf , it would be great if you look over and bless the specs before I buy them on the PC side, and Topher Topher Ass of Can Whooping Ass of Can Whooping would review the specs for the Monitor/TV and PS5 Slim unit I will use for the console side.

cormack12

Gold Member

A few notes:
The test will use Steam.

I would like this to happen

cormack12

Gold Member
Because of the insane aim-assist of controllers lol. It's not because they're any good.
I know, I'm not taking a position purely how they have become more dominant.

Point is, you want to add the cost of a controller, mouse+keyboard, and Windows to PC to inflate the final price. Again, who doesn't have an Xbox or PS controller lying around? Console controllers have been working on PC without issue since the Xbox 360 days. Who doesn't have a mouse and keyboard? Who doesn't have an old PC with Windows from which they can simply transfer their license to the new PC?

It's not about inflating. With a console you get everything you need in the box, and an assumption you have a TV. I mean what's the alternative here we strip out the dualsense from the box and knock off £60? And

GymWolf

Gold Member

A few notes:
The test will use Steam.

Thanks for the trust but you should ask to winjer winjer , i'm a super noob compared to him and i only research parts when i have to build my own pc, i don't read reviews about stuff if i don't have to build anything so i'm not up to speed with the latest stuff.

Topher

Gold Member

A few notes:
The test will use Steam.

HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 is the monitor/TV expert. And Ass of Can Whooping Ass of Can Whooping is entirely fucking useless

OverHeat

« generous god »

A few notes:
The test will use Steam.

winjer winjer is the men for the PC specs! I’m biased on ultra high end hardware so it wouldn’t work!!!
But I think you have a great idea!

cormack12

Gold Member
I'd also suggest there are certain caveats here. Like form factor needs to be comparable, and there are hints some of the RT tech is RDNA 4 derivative which isn't out in PC space yet I think

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I'll give it 15 hours or so, recap the parts posts, include the folks mentioned (also feel free to tell me to fuck off if you don't want to be involved), and I would like to find someone who can create an OT for the project.

Obviously raytracing performance makes a huge difference. But taking Cerny saying "calculation of the rays at double, or even triple the speed of the Playstation 5" and then just tripling the framerate from 21 to 63 is a ridiculously silly and asinine assumption to make in what to expect performance-wise.

Also, how would you know if PSSR is going to look as good as DLSS? Have you had a PS5 on-hand and performed in-depth analysis..? No...? Of course you haven't. None of us know at this point.
PS5Pro has improved RT (probably RDNA4 based if we believe leaks), so it should be a lot faster than 7700XT in raytracing.

7900XT like RT performance will not surprise me (and BTW. 7900XT RT performance is still crap compared to high end RT 40 series).

PSSR will look better than FSR2/3 for sure, otherwise there would be no reason to build hardware for AI powered upscaling.

Last edited:
Most people already have a pc or laptop that they work on… i find this such an strange argument.
Ok, so replace it with a capable machine and you don't need additional hardware that's less than capable.

yeap, ppl forget that with this budget PC you can play Nintendo, MS and Sony games all you want and all the other old game in high quality without the need to wait for "next gen patches" and like you said, can be used for more than just gaming.
Is it really a next-gen patch and previous gen PC's have had the settings available for years? Hell, a 2070 can raytrace and has for quite a few years now.

Last edited:

scydrex

Dunno. Been tested in motion by DF, HU, GN, and others and DLSS always won.

PCs don't need controllers. Besides, who doesn't have a controller these days? They all work on PC, unlike your Xbox controller that only works on Xbox.

Yeah, most people have TVs, but we're supposed to believe that most people don't have PC compatible controllers, mouse and keyboards, or Windows. They need to buy those separately because they magically disappear when they're shopping for a PC. You want a good TV with HDR, VRR, HDMI 2+, and 120Hz support for your consoles. You don't want the crap random LED TV you bought for $500.

Yet you implied a shitty 1080p TV is fine for consoles? Yeah, not being disingenuous at all here.
I don't have a monitor, keyboard or mouse. Could use the dualsense of my PS5 on a PC sure. But in my case i would need to add those to the total cost of the system. Will not use a PC in my TV. For gaming could be but for everything else no. If i sell my PS5 and have $800 what's better for me? Buy the PS5 Pro or a $800 PC plus monitor, keyboard, mouse and Windows key? I used to have a gaming PC. Like 12 years ago. I have like 10 years or so wanting to buy a PC for gaming and i don't see myself building a PC for less than $1,000 plus the thing i mentioned. I have enjoyed my games on PS4 and back then everything was 30fps and in my PS5. Sure the PS5 Pro price is higher than what i expected. Can't defend that.

Last edited:

ARK1391

Because all current PC releases are only released digitally. This has been the standard for over a dedecade.
Yeah, I'm aware of that. However, if you're determined to buy physical games you aren't playing games on PC anyway. So including the disk drive in that price comparison doesn't make any sense.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. However, if you're determined to buy physical games you aren't playing games on PC anyway. So including the disk drive in that price comparison doesn't make any sense.
If you play on PC your whole library is digital. However, if you play on PlayStation you likely have physical PS4/5 games and the like. The stand should also be part of this cost as console does not seem to be stable without it. Maybe I should remove controller from PC as well since keyboard and mouse are an option. Bottom line is it's in the same price range as the Pro no matter the accessories.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I had a bash and I'd say this would be pretty close and I'll add some justification as well. I did try and make it fit in a micro case but I don't have enough time so just went with a default case for the purposes of the experiment. List is here: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/FgJ6TY

cMZIf3.jpg

I included a monitor on the assumption one would be needed just so a complete price was visible. Happy to knock it off though which bring the price down to £1295 if using no used parts. And for the record I don't think used parts should be allowed unless you allow a trade in price of a PS5 against the Pro.

CPU is generally comparable and has more oomph. Don't think there would be much disagreement there
CPU Cooler I've opted for the Dark Rock Pro (rather than the Noctua D15). Again, we're going for comparable and the PS5 focused on producing a whisper silent console which it is
Motherboard, memory and M2 are all pretty standard fair. Went for a specific PCIE 4, 2TB 2280
The GPU I think again is comparable to the PS5 Pro given it needs an extra lift for those RDNA 4 features. I did think about the 4070 Super as it has best in class DLSS to rival PSSR but that would bump the price up more
PC case again focusing on complementing the noise and also factoring in a bit of offset of not using SFF
PSU pretty standard
Windows License
*Not shown* DualSense @ £60 as well, and a flat £50 for a mnk combo

Which brings that out at retail ~ £1,345
With noctua D15: £1,400
With 4070: £1,450

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I had a bash and I'd say this would be pretty close and I'll add some justification as well. I did try and make it fit in a micro case but I don't have enough time so just went with a default case for the purposes of the experiment. List is here: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/FgJ6TY

cMZIf3.jpg

I included a monitor on the assumption one would be needed just so a complete price was visible. Happy to knock it off though which bring the price down to £1295 if using no used parts. And for the record I don't think used parts should be allowed unless you allow a trade in price of a PS5 against the Pro.

CPU is generally comparable and has more oomph. Don't think there would be much disagreement there
CPU Cooler I've opted for the Dark Rock Pro (rather than the Noctua D15). Again, we're going for comparable and the PS5 focused on producing a whisper silent console which it is
Motherboard, memory and M2 are all pretty standard fair. Went for a specific PCIE 4, 2TB 2280
The GPU I think again is comparable to the PS5 Pro given it needs an extra lift for those RDNA 4 features. I did think about the 4070 Super as it has best in class DLSS to rival PSSR but that would bump the price up more
PC case again focusing on complementing the noise and also factoring in a bit of offset of not using SFF
PSU pretty standard
Windows License

An 80 euros cooler when the stock one is more than enough for the little 5600X.

Who the fuck buys a Windows 11 license for over €107 euros lmao?

https://www.allkeyshop.com/blog/buy-windows-11-pro-cd-key-compare-prices/

Here, less than 2 euros. Just saved you almost €200. Also, we care about noise now? Didn't seem to matter when the PS4/Pro sounded like jet engines, but now that consoles finally figured out how to cool their consoles quietly, we're buying 80 euros coolers on PC.

Those attempts are always comical.

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
An 80 euros cooler when the stock one is more than enough for the little 5600X.

Who the fuck buys a Windows 11 license for over €107 euros lmao?

https://www.allkeyshop.com/blog/buy-windows-11-pro-cd-key-compare-prices/

Here, less than 2 euros. Just saved you almost €200.

Those attempts are always comical.

Michael Jordan Lol GIF
The guy wanted pcpartpicker and we were going with retail prices to make it fair and transparent. It's like saying I use eneba so games on Xbox have cheaper buy in than PS5. But swap it out if you want, doesn't bother me really.

I've justified the cooler based on the R&D that was done on the PS5. The challenge is to build something comparable, not make do with stock fans unless you're also rating decibels of the devices. Who the fuck ever uses a stock fan who is serious about gaming on PC lmao?

Creeping Parks And Recreation GIF

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I've justified the cooler based on the R&D that was done on the PS5. The challenge is to build something comparable, not make do with stock fans unless you're also rating decibels of the devices. Who the fuck ever uses a stock fan who is serious about gaming on PC lmao?
Nobody who's serious about PC gaming targets console specs. And of course, I'd remove Windows because only a fool would buy a full price license. Also, noise matters now? Didn't seem to be an issue when the PS4 sounded like my city's airport. And the 5600X comparable to the 3600? Since when?

Those endeavors are always futile because nobody has good intentions. They always do these builds to prove a point.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Nobody who's serious about PC gaming targets console specs. And of course, I'd remove Windows because only a fool would buy a full price license. Also, noise matters now? Didn't seem to be an issue when the PS4 sounded like my city's airport. And the 5600X comparable to the 3600? Since when?

Those endeavors are always futile because nobody has good intentions. They always do these builds to prove a point.
It's a fun experiment clearly. The task is to build a PC that can stand up to 4 years of being compared to the Pro and can have benchmarks measured and compared.

And yes the PS4 Pro noise was an issue. Hence Cerny poured all the R&D into non moving parts like liquid metal cooling, SSD complemented by the over clocking thermals. You can limit the TDP for the PC equivalent to draw the benchmarking in closer.

The 5600 is what most people would pick to go head to head if they were building a 'PS5 Pro' with PC components. It's been pretty common even when baselining the OG PS5. But this is just my take. The offer is open to you as well - but the buuld has to stand the test of time with what's available now, not when the new cards drop so why not give it a go?

Zathalus

cMZIf3.jpg

PSU pretty standard
Windows License

- Drop the CPU to a 5600. It’s the exact same 6 core processor just clocked a tiny bit lower. Will still outperform the Pro.
- For the 5600x you really don’t need a third party cooler. Even more so for the 5600. It’s not going to run hot or loud.
- Your RAM was slow, I chose faster and cheaper from a reputable brand.
- The Samsung SSD while nice is complete overkill for a budget build. I substituted a fast 4.0 drive that is a bit cheaper. Fast enough to use in a PS5.
- Your PSU is overkill.
- Cheaper case that is still ITX with good airflow.
- No windows key, as you can get one off a key site for a few dollars.
- Included good keyboard and mouse for a budget build.

cMZIf3.jpg

PSU pretty standard
Windows License

Add in another 500£ for a desk

a8b14640a986926b14e7459630653073.png

Jesus Christ 2k pounds for a PC that's equivalent to a PS5 Pro

EDIT: Wait, no, the gaming chair too... it just gets worse

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

cMZIf3.jpg

PSU pretty standard
Windows License

Radeon 7700xt and 7800xt sucks at RT and can't do AI upscalling.

Last edited:

cMZIf3.jpg

PSU pretty standard
Windows License

I'm not sure if a 6-core CPU is enough to match the PS5's performance.

Here's ryzen 3600 (6 core CPU) running PS5 port. CPU usage almost maxed out, sub 60fps dips, stutters. To be fair game looks playable, but it's not on pair with the PS5 for sure.

The PS5 has a decompression chip that offloads decompression from the CPU. On the PC, the CPU has to do all the heavy lifting, so you need a much faster CPU compared to the PS5.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member

- Drop the CPU to a 5600. It’s the exact same 6 core processor just clocked a tiny bit lower. Will still outperform the Pro.
- For the 5600x you really don’t need a third party cooler. Even more so for the 5600. It’s not going to run hot or loud.
- Your RAM was slow, I chose faster and cheaper from a reputable brand.
- The Samsung SSD while nice is complete overkill for a budget build. I substituted a fast 4.0 drive that is a bit cheaper. Fast enough to use in a PS5.
- Your PSU is overkill.
- Cheaper case that is still ITX with good airflow.
- No windows key, as you can get one off a key site for a few dollars.
- Included good keyboard and mouse for a budget build.
That's good input. I had a warning in the bios versions on other components too and I didn't wanna screw the guy lol

cormack12

Gold Member

Here's ryzen 3600 (6 core CPU) running PS5 port. CPU usage almost maxed out, sub 60fps dips, stutters. To be fair game looks playable, but it's not on pair with the PS5 for sure.

The PS5 has a decompression chip that offloads decompression from the CPU. On the PC, the CPU has to do all the heavy lifting, so you need a much faster CPU compared to the PS5.

Zathalus Zathalus thoughts on the cpu info?

Seems to work just fine at 70-80ish FPS with everything maxed, the 5600x he lists should be a bit better still

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

Some of the worst if not the worst port of all time are not good parameters for CPU performance. Lol.

Last edited:

Seems to work just fine at 70-80ish FPS with everything maxed, the 5600x he lists should be a bit better still

It's not the same scene. Performance in this game look much different depending on the test location. On my 7800X3D I sometimes had 180fps, but in certain places I had 80fps because of CPU bottleneck.

The 5600x CPU has a more advanced architecture than the Zen 2 in the PS5, so average fps may look imoressive, but it's still a 6-core CPU that has to do all the heavy lifting (decompression), so the game will stutter because of high CPU usage.

Besides, what's the point of buying a PC to play PS5 games with PS5 or even sub-PS5 settings? Gaming on PC makes sense when you can play console ports at much higher quality.

Last edited:

twilo99

Gold Member
PC parts in Europe seem more expensive which is appropriate since it kinda matches the EU/US price difference for the PS5

It's not the same scene. Performance in this game look much different depending on the test location. On my 7800X3D I sometimes had 180fps, but in certain places I had 80fps because of CPU bottleneck.

The 5600x CPU has a more advanced architecture than the Zen 2 in the PS5, so average fps may look imoressive, but it's still a 6-core CPU that has to do all the heavy lifting (decompression), so the game will stutter because of high CPU usage.

Besides, what's the point of buying a PC to play PS5 games with PS5 or even sub-PS5 settings? Gaming on PC makes sense when you can play console ports at much higher quality.
You don't buy a PC just to play the Sony gamesm that's just a small extra, you buy it for the Sony games, MS ones, even Nintendo and obviously PC exclusives, and stuff like the cheap Gamepass version, and to not have to buy games at 80€ or pay 70-80 yearly to be able to play online. And everything else that's not gaming related ofc.

But i agree, if you don't want to end up playing sub 60 FPS games, getting a 5600 that's like 20% (or 30% with the windows update or whatever) more powerful than the PS5 Pro's one is dumb as you'll end there in 30 FPS console games like Kingdoms Come, or actually any game with good RT like Hogwarts sooner than later, just get a 5800x3d, 7600 or even your 7800x3d

Some of the worst if not the worst port of all time are not good parameters for CPU performance. Lol.

TLOU1 remake runs fine as long as you are not vram limited, but it needs an 8 core CPU to run perfectly without stuttering. The CPU usage in this game is very high across all cores even on my 8 core 7800X3D, and that's an indication of good optimization.

PS5 ports like Horizon 2, Spiderman Miles Morales, etc. were still made with the limitations of the PS4 in mind. However, the TLOU1 remake was a true PS5 game that's why it's so CPU intensive on PC, because CPU has to do all the heavy lifting (the PS5 has data decompression chip). Right now we started to see more and more games like TLOU1 that are hammering the CPU with decompression accros 8 cores (SW Outlaws, Warhammer 40000 Space Marine 2, etc.).

Top Bottom