• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro you buying?

are you still buying?

• Total voters

MikeM

Gold Member
Gonna preorder and then decide. Can always return it. I need more information and proof of all these features in the real world before committing

King Dazzar

Before the presentation I was 90% yes, now I'm 90% no. Just don't see it being worth all that money for such a minor overall improvement.
Its also only going to be relevant for a few years. I also think the Pro enhanced list of games is very short (though there is Pro boost mode for PS4 games). But I'm still likely to buy one. I'm not over the moon about it.

scydrex

I was day 1 until now. Now thinking about it. Right now i don´t know. Want to play the games as best as possible. Don't have a PC and not planning to build one. The deal breaker for me is no disk drive. If it would have a disk for $700 then 100% sure.

Midn1ght

Stop complaining guys, you'll be able to play Ratchet, Tsushima, TLOU and Spider-man at 4K60 for that price.

You know... games that already fucking look and run great.

James Franco GIF

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
If people can afford it and are on the fence this is the way to go

Its interesting that preorders go live when Tokyo Games Show starts and right around the time of the rumored State of Play

Yeah I’m “on the fence” only because there’s no games I haven’t already played before

So I’m going to have to wait until 2025 to get any real use out of it. And it will be my main platform for the next 4 years until PS6

But the price isn’t going to drop…so I might as well get it day 1?

Main thing I’m worried about is quality control, I was day 1 on pulse elite and that is a POS with so many issues

Jesb

I’m gonna say no. I passed on this gen and if I do get a ps5 I’m just gonna get the old one. I’m not seeing the value here. I’m not seeing a $200-300 improvement that thing costs. Everything showed was a minimal improvement. To be honest I’m completely fine just having GFN on my shield device. That’s showing more value than anything this gen.

Gambit2483

Unless I win the lottery or come into some kind of financial windfall I just can't see myself spending $800 USD (before taxes) for some slight graphical improvements and bells and whistles.

StereoVsn

I was kind of in the middle in the decision , but Sony made it easy for me with that crazy price for a fairly minor overall upgrade. $800 + tax, lol.

On the other hand I might take that cash and give it to Leather Jacket man instead come 5090 release. Sigh, either way it’s f-d up.

Kamina

Golden Boy
They want me to invest 920€ for console + drive?
I love console gaming but they are making the choice between PC and console more easy with that price point.

Hell no. I already have a PS5 that I rarely use. An €800 box that demands another €100 to play my physical library will not change that since my PC is still vastly better.

I mainly still play PS4 games from disc the rare times I even boot my PS5.

ap_puff

Yeah I'm buying it, 4k60 with the upscaling looking very solid (didn't see any bullshit artifacts that FSR usually displays)

Filben

For people buying launch consoles from scalpers this is practically a steal.

Personally, I think 800EUR *without* a disc drive is too much. Mabye if they had a trade-in program and my PS5 would get me like 350EUR I'd upgrade. Otherwise I stick to my gaming PC for ultra high fidelity (ray tracing) games and going to keep using my PS5 for less-demanding games.

marjo

I’m gonna say no. I passed on this gen and if I do get a ps5 I’m just gonna get the old one. I’m not seeing the value here. I’m not seeing a $200-300 improvement that thing costs. Everything showed was a minimal improvement. To be honest I’m completely fine just having GFN on my shield device. That’s showing more value than anything this gen.

I'm thinking similarly.

Just have a mid tier PC for the 95% of games that don't require high end specs.

And for the 1 or 2 games that come out each year that push things and that I actually want to play, subscribe to GFN for a month or two.

El Muerto

Gold Member
Ain't no way. If I had $700 to blow on something gaming related I'd buy a RX 7900xt. Play the same games at whatever framerate I want.

I was pretty interested in this. Then they showed old games and the price, and I’m all the way out.

Super lame. So lame that if it wasn’t Cerny doing it, I’d have thought it was a fake pisstake of Sony.

Last edited:

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Feel like the value of this thing is really going to be determined by how much of the existing library gets patched or can take advantage of the upscaling.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Microsoft must be pleased, if they are going to put out a super powered Xbox in a year or two this is a good test case to see what people think of paying a bit more.

Matsuchezz

This is Sony testing the waters for more expensive consoles, I am all for it, if they can release a 1000 USD PS6 console with great power. Let's go.
On the Pro I am getting one to take full advantage of my Samsung S95CA by end of November I will very busy the first half of november.

Price has nothing to do with my choice on not to buy it. I've said this a million times, but as a PC and PS5 owner, I see absolutely 0 uses for it. If I wanna replay the enhanced versions of old games I can do that on PC.

simpatico

PS5 hasn’t even stretched its legs yet. How many exclusives do they even have that aren’t cross gen? Is that number even 10?

Kuranghi

I will if its the same or very close to fidelity graphics in performance modes and locked 60fps, push out LoDs, RT and the like in 30fps modes. I don't care about 120hz modes at all, 8K is currently still a nonsense waste of time on console* since it would certainly be locked to 30fps just due to HDMI 2.1 bandwidth (Assuming PS5 Pro actually has 48Gbps 2.1, and not the 32 [or is it 40? I think thats Xbox] in the base PS5) and if it does have 48Gbps you could only get a 8K 60fps by downsampling chroma to 4:2:0 and/or using DSC which would look ass I bet.

*I can run some PC games from 10-15 years ago at 8K60fps on my GTX 1080 and they look magical, but most don't have the detail to bother doing that and its not viable for modern games obviously.

I'm a bit behind here, I need to buy a disc drive right now if I want to put discs into the PS5 Pro?

Last edited:

Jesb

I'm thinking similarly.

Just have a mid tier PC for the 95% of games that don't require high end specs.

And for the 1 or 2 games that come out each year that push things and that I actually want to play, subscribe to GFN for a month or two.
I have GFN paid up until February and don’t see it stopping. It’s the best option available imo. Better option than an Xbox, better option than a ps5.

Top Bottom