• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP price revealed? 33.000yen

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Babel says...

The PSP will cost 33,000 Yen in Japan. This communicated Manfred Gerdes, Managing Director Germany von Sony computer Entertainment Germany, on a press conference. Converted that corresponds to about 245 euro. According to Gerdes permit this however no conclusions on the price for Europe. That could lie between 299 and 349 euro; definitely it however only to a later time admits given. As Gerdes continued to communicate, European release of the PSP is further for the end of the 1. Quarter 2005 planned.

Elios83

But the source who is a manager in Sony Europe also said that in Europe they can't sell it at less than 299€ (max 349€)

So i think:
33.000 yen Japan
299$ Usa
299€ Europe

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
A lot of money for a handheld. And to the ppl who expected Sony to take a hit on the PSP eventhough they said a long time that they wouldn't... ha!

DSN2K

and most will want to pick up the power pack and at least one or two games.... too expensive for me.

Maybe in a year when the price drops.... :(

Elios83

245€ is the conversion of the japanease price which won't be the european one.
The range for Europe is 299€-349€.
That's really much.I think I will skip it at launch since there are no real killer applications at the moment and I suppose that with future models they will improve key elements like battery life etc.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
cybamerc said:
And to the ppl who expected Sony to take a hit on the PSP eventhough they said a long time that they wouldn't... ha!
24818BP.jpg

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
For those saying it's too much for a handheld... as Coco mentioned in a thread yesterday... any of you own an Ipod?

M3wThr33

Banned
But the iPod will play mp3s AND comes with a 20GB battery already. Sony will probably try similar tactics, but won't go so well when people realize the media isn't included and that memory sticks suck.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
DarienA said:
For those saying it's too much for a handheld... as Coco mentioned in a thread yesterday... any of you own an Ipod?

i use my ipod 100 times more often than i would ever use a handheld gaming system.

neo2046

WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! :D

Nintendo's 15000yen NDS announcement has forced SONY cannot sell PSP that expenisve now!!! :D

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
$299.99 doesn't fly with me. Take a hit, drop the price, and compete with the DS. I want to see a PRICE WAR! Fight for my money, you handheld making bastards.

GAMES GAMES GAMES

PSP needs awesome original games! So far I haven't seen a single "must have" game. Not worth $350 canadian right now.

Ah! I was right again! Yay. But yeah, this was really no surprise, neither was the DS price. I'm definitely not getting this at launch now, maybe a year or so down the road.

Now we need game prices.

DarienA said:

at least with Ipod you can download / use your EXISTING music library of cds / download.

with the PSP... short of paying for

a) extra media and then see b)

b) don't know where the fuck you'll be getting your UMD burner from (and you'll have to pay for it

c) if no a) and b)... then you're stuck buying 2x of every cd/dvd you want to take with you.

Its not even par.

DarienA said:

pha, my iPod has been easily worth the $400 I spent on it January of last year. I can use it for music in much more instances than I could a handheld game system, including as a music source for my car. In addition it's also been a very trustworthy and convenient storage device to shuttle lots of data back and forth between friend's houses as well as served as my personal hard drive when I first moved without my PC.

I'm sure most iPod owners dropped around $300 for a discman alternative, but I got a lot more applications out of mine, and all in a rock solid package. The PSP is going to be much more limited by comparison, so at the moment I, who tries hard to make price a non-issue, think that $300 is too much. 'Course, I hardly ever use my SP.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
TTP said:
Look back to the japanese and american PS2 launch prices.

The PS2 launched at 39,800 yen IIRC... which translates to about $362 right now... so it saw a $50 price drop for the US.... give or take....

M3wThr33

Banned
TheGreenGiant said:
at least with Ipod you can download / use your EXISTING music library of cds / download.

b) don't know where the fuck you'll be getting your UMD burner from (and you'll have to pay for it

c) if no a) and b)... then you're stuck buying 2x of every cd/dvd you want to take with you.

Its not even par.

That's what I've been saying for a while.
The PSP is a nice all-in-one device if you want to repurchase your PS2, CD and DVD library.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
DarienA said:
The PS2 launched at 39,800 yen IIRC... which translates to about $362 right now... so it saw a $50 price drop for the US.... give or take....

yeah but the amount of time between japanese and american launches wont differ too much.

I say 279 here at the least.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
TheGreenGiant said:

Its not even par.

Have you ever heard of Memory Stick modules ?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
DarienA said:

Exactly

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Grizzlyjin said:
$299.99 doesn't fly with me. Take a hit, drop the price, and compete with the DS.
Not gonna happen. Sony doesn't expect to to achieve a significantly higher tie-ratio than other handhelds (read: Game Boy products) and knows that it won't match Nintendo's software sales. There simply isn't much money to be made on a handheld for Sony unless they make a profit on the hardware.

Panajev2001a said:
Have you ever heard of Memory Stick modules ?

yes. But I don't want to burn BIG MOTHER FUCKING HOLES in my pocket (although I could probably sneak in a couple of wanks at work then).

+

its incredibly stupid that you can't store 1.5 gig worth of music on a UMD disc and have to resort to a much more expensive media (with less storage) too.

Elios83

Anyway I want to see the GAMES at TGS,Sony hasn't even managed to have the Square support until now (and they partially own them ^_^'')
If there was a bundle like PSP+Advent Children+FF7 remake I would buy it immediatly whatever is the price :D :D

Brofist

cybamerc said:
PSP doesn't support MP3 either. It's not exactly an iPod replacement.

So far I haven't seen solitare announced for it yet either, damn they got some catching up to do..:p

Elios83

cybamerc said:
PSP doesn't support MP3 either. It's not exactly an iPod replacement.

This is not confirmed,maybe they will use only Atrac to distribute music content on the UMD support but you can still listen to MP3 in memory sticks.
At least I hope so...

Top Bottom