• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP price revealed? 33.000yen

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I'm suprised that people are treating the PSP as a legitimate media device. So far Sony has done everything in it's power to dissuade any use of the device as a decent movie/audio player. Then again if the UMD/Atrac thing takes off all will be good.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
cybamerc said:
PSP doesn't support MP3 either. It's not exactly an iPod replacement.

I wasn't pitching it as an Ipod replacement as Coco pointed out yesterday there are other portable multifunction (and in this case the ipod isn't even multifunction, I'm talking media players, etc..) devices that people pay $299 for... I'm not saying the PSP is replacing other devices... especially with it's lack of MP3 support, I'm simply saying it's a portable multi-function device and many other devices in this set are running $299.

Like I give a shit I'm not buying it or the DS. ;)

kpop100 said:
So far I haven't seen solitare announced for it yet either, damn they got some catching up to do..:p

apparently they're going with ATRAC. see SONY MD players. A lot of the NetMDs won't play MP3s.

Its a SONY

Insertia

You guys do know that the Japanese price is rarely the same in the US, don't you?

PS2 launched in Japan at 39,800yen($363).

PSP launches in Japan at 33,000yen($301).

PS2 launched in the US at $299.

If the same drop off rate is used, PSP will be priced around $238.

I'm not so sure the PSP will automatically get a lower price in the U.S. First of all, there is a much shorter turnaround involved with the PSP in comparison to the PS2, which was out for...what, nine or ten months in Japan before coming to America? Second, I'm not sure Sony will see a big advantage in $250 as opposed to $300, and it seems very doubtful that they could bring it down to $200.

This doesn't surprise me at all. I always thought it would be $300 PSP, $150 NDS. That seemed to be the consensus at GAF around E3, too, so I'm not sure where all the shock and surprise is coming from.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The iPod comment is simply stating that lots of people feel OK with spending $400 on a cute bit of kit that does basically what your walkman did, but better.

PSP does what your gameboy did, but better. And $100 less.

the media / "I use iPod more" argument is irrelevant, as nobody is directly comparing functionality with iPod, just the cost/handheld media consumption thing.

As for the media cost, with Sony releasing their LocationFree TV recently, I'd hope for some kind of PC app that lets you copy your DVDs/music to Memory stick for watching / listening on the go.

Yes, they are expensive, but thats your decision to make. Me? I'm not a big music fan, but love my movies, so if this has a good solution for reusing my DVD collection while I'm away from home, great. If not, keep your money in your pocket or buy an iPod.

belgurdo

Banned
Price is no problem to me. Not buying a DS anyway unless it has some dynamite content, and I'm curious to see how far this thing will go

Drexon

Banned
Hmmm. You think a memory card (stick) will be bundled? If not, what's the cheapest one these days? (Outraged by price)

Brofist

Insertia said:
You guys do know that the Japanese price is rarely(if at all) the same in the US, don't you?

PS2 launched in Japan at 39,800yen($363).

PSP launches in Japan at 33,000yen($301).

PS2 launched in the US at $299.

If the same drop off rate is used, PSP will be priced around $238.

The exchange rates are much different than in past launches (100-110 yen/dollar now compared with 130+ at PS2 launch).

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
You crazy loons seem to know something that I don't.

How large a memory stick can the PSP support and can it be used for other functions other than "SAVE UR GAME?"

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
DarienA said:
I wasn't pitching it as an Ipod replacement as Coco pointed out yesterday there are other portable multifunction (and in this case the ipod isn't even multifunction, I'm talking media players, etc..) devices that people pay $299 for...
The iPod may not be a multifunction device but what it does it does well. Not to mention that it has become a status symbol. It's not a matter of real value but rather one of perceived value. PSP may be state-of-the-art and do a bunch of things but will ppl think it's worth $300.

TekunoRobby said:
You crazy loons seem to know something that I don't.

How large a memory stick can the PSP support and can it be used for other functions other than "SAVE UR GAME?"

it uses the DUO sticks. You can store saves / music etc. Its EXPENSIVE

GDGF

Soothsayer
The PS2 NA/JP launches were alot further spaced than the PSP US/JP launches, plus attach rates for handhelds are alot lower (so there goes the idea of sony making the money back on software).

That price ain't going anywhere for a year or so. Sony has to make money somewhere.

cybamerc

mrklaw said:
Yes, they are expensive, but thats your decision to make. Me? I'm not a big music fan, but love my movies, so if this has a good solution for reusing my DVD collection while I'm away from home, great.
Unless you plan on getting a 2 gb Memory Stick you won't get much use of those DVDs in relation to PSP.

DarienA

cybamerc said:
The iPod may not be a multifunction device but what it does it does well. Not to mention that it has become a status symbol. It's not a matter of real value but rather one of perceived value. PSP may be state-of-the-art and do a bunch of things but will ppl think it's worth $300.

Who can say at this early date?

Brofist

Lost Weekend said:
The PS2 NA/JP launches were alot further spaced than the PSP US/JP launches, plus attach rates for handhelds are alot lower (so there goes the idea of sony making the money back on software).

That price ain't going anywhere for a year or so. Sony has to make money somewhere.

The games will probably retail the same as console games..meaning 6-7000 yen and up in Japan, and $40-50 in US. They'll make money off them, don't think that'll be a problem. Me paying full price for handheld games...now that's a problem :)

DSN2K

sure hope Sony's "new" market works out because Gameboy owners cant afford this.

Kids will be getting DS for christmas in the masses. 2 million lead before the PSP even hits looks very certain.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
cybamerc said:
Unless you plan on getting a 2 gb Memory Stick you won't get much use of those DVDs in relation to PSP.

I think they can be compressed quite nicely onto a 256-512 MB Memory Stick considering the 2.2x lower resolution and the fact that we are jumping from MPEG2 to MPEG4.

Insertia

Catchpenny said:
I'm not so sure the PSP will automatically get a lower price in the U.S. First of all, there is a much shorter turnaround involved with the PSP in comparison to the PS2, which was out for...what, nine or ten months in Japan before coming to America? Second, I'm not sure Sony will see a big advantage in $250 as opposed to $300, and it seems very doubtful that they could bring it down to $200.

1. There was a seven month difference between the Japanese and American launch for PS2.
PSP's US release is pretty far off compared to the Jap. release.

2. there's a huge difference between $250/$200 and $300 in the US for comsumers.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
memory stick pro duo prices from amazon (so probably cheaper elsewhere).

256MB - $70
512MB - $120
1GB - $240 (not duo, but duo does go up to 1GB, just not on amazon)

cybamerc

DarienA said:
Who can say at this early date?
Noone can. But my point is that it doesn't make sense trying to justify the PSP's high price by comparing it to the iPod. $300 is a lot of money for a portable product and Sony will have to work hard to convince ppl that the PSP is a must-have item.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
The problem is that gamers may just choose to save their 300 smackers on an XBox2 if it's also coming out in the same year.

cybamerc

Panajev2001a said:
I think they can be compressed quite nicely onto a 256-512 MB Memory Stick considering the 2.2x lower resolution and the fact that we are jumping from MPEG2 to MPEG4.
Even so... is this a feature that Sony will advertise? They have UMD and I don't see them advocating piracy publically.

Brofist

cybamerc said:
Noone can. But my point is that it doesn't make sense trying to justify the PSP's high price by comparing it to the iPod. $300 is a lot of money for a portable product and Sony will have to work hard to convince ppl that the PSP is a must-have item.

I think that's his point, if a product is good enough (Ipod) people will spend the money for it. Sure we don't exactly how the PSP will pan out, but if it is a quality product with a lot of good games and some other uses people will spend the $300 for it.

mrklaw said:
memory stick pro duo prices from amazon (so probably cheaper elsewhere).

256MB - $70
512MB - $120
1GB - $240 (not duo, but duo does go up to 1GB, just not on amazon)

1 2 3.. . repeat after me

BEJESUZUZUZZsss. Told you it was expensive. And also, you can't use the DUO sticks with older sony digicam/products/digital cameras - and definitely NOT with any other product (Canon/nikon..etc).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
cybamerc said:
Even so... is this a feature that Sony will advertise? They have UMD and I don't see them advocating piracy publically.

They already mentioned it at GDC Europe and the Austin Game Developer Conference: PSP being able to play music and video from the Memory Stick module is something that will happen.

Advocating piracy ? You can put tons of sons on your ARCHOS, iPod or NetMD that you have not legally purchased: that is the user not the manufacturer's responsability, they go with DRM protection far enough.

Brofist

capslock said:
The problem is that gamers may just choose to save their 300 smackers on an XBox2 if it's also coming out in the same year.

I don't know about most people, but I think I can make sure there's an extra $300 kickin around at that time even if I buy a PSP :)

cybamerc

mrklaw said:
PSP isn't aimed at kids though, its aimed at the 'iPod generation'. Geeks with money
The thing is, iPod isn't for geeks. No doubt PSP will sell to gadget freaks but that's not a huge market. Sony will want to establish the PSP as the new trendy must-have item but that's easier said than done.

DarienA

cybamerc said:

My point was that $300 is not alot of money for a portable multi-function media product. $300 could be considered alot of money for a portable game machine, but as Sony is pushing the PSP, that's not all it is... and of coure they'll have to convince people it's a must have item $299 isn't the casual people purchase price, it's the die hard must have it a launch people price.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Incredibly stupid question time!

Anyone think Sony will bundle some sort of PC application disc with the system? Sony's little ATRAC converting program and another one for converting popular movie types into UMD compatible formats?

Has this even been hinted at?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
TheGreenGiant said:
1 2 3.. . repeat after me

BEJESUZUZUZZsss. Told you it was expensive.

It is cheaper if you look around.

And also, you can't use the DUO sticks with older sony digicam/products/digital cameras - and definitely NOT with any other product (Canon/nikon..etc).

Bull-shit, you can use the cheap Pro adaptor which comes with many Memory Stick Pro Duo modules and use the card in any device that support the Pro format.

kpop100 said:
I think that's his point, if a product is good enough (Ipod) people will spend the money for it. Sure we don't exactly how the PSP will pan out, but if it is a quality product with a lot of good games and some other uses people will spend the $300 for it.

ipod is quite universal. A lot of 20-40 year olds with lots of expendable income love it / buy it. Its also trans-gender.

Ever met a hot chick / older set / children who wants to spend $300 on a portable gaming device (no matter how cool?)

cybamerc

kpop100 said:
But are people more likely to pay $300 for a portable games player or a home console? With the new generation of console systems on the horizon PSP may not look so tempting.

Insertia said:
2. there's a huge difference between $250/$200 and $300 in the US for comsumers.

No, there's a huge difference between $200 and $300. People respond a lot more to a drop in the highest place value of a price. Sony won't see many more sales at $250.

Besides, they shouldn't have any problems selling this for the first few months. Early adopters aren't going to be in short supply for a snazzy looking gaming device from Sony. So even if Sony is comfortable with launching at $250 in America, they would likely hold off for a while, until the holiday season.

DarienA

TheGreenGiant said:
ipod is quite universal. A lot of 20-40 year olds with lots of expendable income love it / buy it. Its also trans-gender.

Ever met a hot chick / older set / children who wants to spend $300 on a portable gaming device (no matter how cool?)

How will you know if that market exists if you don't try? Did the Ipod market exist as you described it before the Ipod appeared? Or did Apple look around, have an idea for a product, come up with a good way to pitch it for the masses, and reap the success?

cybamerc

Panajev2001a said:
They already mentioned it at GDC Europe and the Austin Game Developer Conference: PSP being able to play music and video from the Memory Stick module is something that will happen.
But how will they communicate this to the public?

Advocating piracy ? You can put tons of sons on your ARCHOS, iPod or NetMD that you have not legally purchased: that is the user not the manufacturer's responsability, they go with DRM protection far enough.
Yes, but there are also plenty of ways to get legal content on them. The possibilities are somewhat more limited when it comes to movies.

Brofist

TheGreenGiant said:

I somehow doubt those groups are who Sony will be targetting anyway.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
bloody hell, I thought that was cheap! I guess thats the difference living in 'rape my pocket' Europe..

Those prices are insane. I'd be perfectly happy picking up a 1GB stick for the equivalent of £120-150 and popping 3 movies onto it.

I think the hate a lot of people have for memory stick is unfounded. Sure in the old days they were at a premium, but these days they are roughly on a par with SD cards.

Pana has already pointed out the reuse thing...

BuddyC

As already mentioned, part of the iPod's appeal is that once you invest in it, you really don't have to spend another $30-50 to buy new media for it. That $300-500 is an investment that really doesn't require much more money. Now the PSP, on the other hand...

Brofist

cybamerc said:
But are people more likely to pay $300 for a portable games player or a home console? With the new generation of console systems on the horizon PSP may not look so tempting.

OK bro you win..there is absolutely no target group for the PSP...they will be collecting mad dust until Sony lowers the price to the point where selling it is not only nonprofitable, but a liability for the company. Then it will be dumped in favor of a Betamax based handheld. Is that what you want to hear :)

kpop100 said:
OK bro you win..there is absolutely no target group for the PSP...they will be collecting mad dust until Sony lowers the price to the point where selling it is not only nonprofitable, but a liability for the company. Then it will be dumped in favor of a Betamax based handheld. Is that what you want to hear :)

yay. I wonder if G4tv will pick up this quote. Dammnit. Where' Wario64

Top Bottom