• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR2 PC gaming adapter reviews

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Seems some folks have managed to get one.

Sony did not include a Bluetooth adapter with the kit and apparently PSVR2 is very picky about what bluetooth adapters.

EDIT (Added PC requirements)

Minimum PC requirements​

Here are the minimum requirements for PS VR2 gameplay on PC:

Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit / Windows 11 64-bit

Processor: Intel Core i5-7600 / AMD Ryzen 3 3100 (Zen 2 or later architecture is required)

RAM / memory: 8 GB or more

GPU / graphics card: ***(For the best performance, we recommend that you use an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 or later or AMD Radeon RX 6600XT or later*** graphics card)-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 or later (Turing or later architecture is required) -NVIDIA RTX series -AMD Radeon RX 5500XT or later / AMD Radeon RX 6500XT or later

DisplayPort *(must have a standard DisplayPort or Mini DisplayPort output port)*DisplayPort 1.4

USB: Direct connection only

Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.0 or later**

Setup is easy: simply connect PlayStation VR2 to your PC using the PS VR2 PC adapter and the DisplayPort 1.4 cable. Then, download the PlayStation VR2 App and the SteamVR App from Steam. This will allow you to set up PS VR2 on your PC, customize your settings and play area, and start purchasing and playing games in SteamVR.

As with all PC gaming technology, performance may vary depending on your PC setup, including system compatibility and the quality of your DisplayPort 1.4 cable. Please ensure your setup meets the minimum requirements. SteamVR titles also have individual system requirements, so please refer to the game information on Steam.

Last edited:

Damigos

I ve wanted to try VR for so long but the high cost and lack of titles (except alyx ofc) have made VR hard to reach or even irrelevant

Sleepwalker

Im sure Sony would pay for the port. It has nothing to do with desperation

Sony also generates them tons of Software royalties now that their exclusives are on the platform

I just don’t get why they can’t come to an agreement
What's to say they have even tried? All of this is in Sony's hands most likely. They probably just don't care enough to pay for it.

Fess

I saw this earlier. It’s impossible to judge how it is going by this video, which is not a review, it’s more like a quick preview. And Sony should’ve included a Bluetooth adapter if it’ll only work well with a few, the controller tracking barely worked here.

What he said about the headset tracking, that it worked better on PC than PS5, what’s that about? Is it picky with light conditions or colors?

Quest 3 would be my choice but it’s too expensive for the little VR gaming I do. 50% off on PSVR2 was interesting but it wasn’t world wide.

Moses85

It’s revenge for Bloodborne. We told you we’d get you back one day.
Reaction GIF

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
is it still true several things won't work on the psvr2 in PC mode compared to ps5 mode

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
is it still true several things won't work on the psvr2 in PC mode compared to ps5 mode
Eye tracking for one but who’s to say that feature won’t be added by Sony or a third party.

cyberheater

Here's another review (in German). Seems they didn't have bluetooth issues.

willothedog

It seems a bit odd that they seeded these adaptors to a couple of tiny VR channels and not the big ones :lollipop_confused:

List of compatible BT dongles, but not guaranteed to work:

So, BT dongle+DP cable, another £20 on top :messenger_grimmacing_

Last edited:

Perrott

Valve probably just doesn't care enough to do it. And they're not going to hand it off to a third party to port it.
You sure? If I recall correctly, they outsourced the PS3 version of The Orange Box to Electronic Arts UK because Gabe Newell was very outspoken about how he didn't want to be in proximity to the Cell and any of that shit - until Kevin Butler, VP of Hostage Taking, held Newell's entire family at gunpoint in a remote, unknown location for the entirety of Portal 2's development cycle, for which Sony magically ended up having marketing rights and quite a bunch of exclusive features.

diffusionx

Gold Member
You sure? If I recall correctly, they outsourced the PS3 version of The Orange Box to Electronic Arts UK because Gabe Newell was very outspoken about how he didn't want to be in proximity to the Cell and any of that shit - until Kevin Butler, VP of Hostage Taking, held Newell's entire family at gunpoint in a remote, unknown location for the entirety of Portal 2's development cycle, for which Sony magically ended up having marketing rights and quite a bunch of exclusive features.
They weren’t happy with the port and that’s why they did Portal 2 themselves.

The answer to why Valve doesn’t do this or that is “they don’t want to.” They’re a big enough company and make enough money they can do whatever they want. If there is no Alyx PS5 port it’s because they don’t want one. They could always change their mind but it’s not going to be because of money that they do it.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
PC gamers get to play Half Life on PSVR2, meanwhile PS5 players dont

What’s the issue in making a port? Why won’t Sony pay for it, or why is Valve not cooperative?

I don’t get it

Maybe they're looking at some kind of remaster or sequel for Deckard, and don't want to hand Sony the best VR game.

Topher

Gold Member
It seems a bit odd that they seeded these adaptors to a couple of tiny VR channels and not the big ones :lollipop_confused:

List of compatible BT dongles, but not guaranteed to work:

So, BT dongle+DP cable, another £20 on top :messenger_grimmacing_

"The following products have been confirmed to work by SIE as of 07/20/2024, but operation is not guaranteed."

WTF?

What’s the issue in making a port? Why won’t Sony pay for it, or why is Valve not cooperative?

I don’t get it
What in the last 2 years ever gave you the impression that Sony was interested in making PSVR2 a successful platform?

I mean the biggest slap to the face of PSVR gamers isn't that they're not getting a HL:A port... it's that Sony is putting out a whole ass Astro-Bot game without even so much as a pity VR mode...

That right there shows you they don't give a shit. This entire PSVR2 Adapter for PC thing is their last ditch effort to squeeze a bit of utility out of the product for the suckers who bought into it over the past couple of years.

What in the last 2 years ever gave you the impression that Sony was interested in making PSVR2 a successful platform?

I mean the biggest slap to the face of PSVR gamers isn't that they're not getting a HL:A port... it's that Sony is putting out a whole ass Astro-Bot game without even so much as a pity VR mode...

That right there shows you they don't give a shit. This entire PSVR2 Adapter for PC thing is their last ditch effort to squeeze a bit of utility out of the product for the suckers who bought into it over the past couple of years.

This is all very true and sad

It seems like the software side of Sony had zero desire to do the little things to make this successful

No AstroBot…No Half Life….

Its not like we are asking for a new AAA god if war VR game….

Three

"The following products have been confirmed to work by SIE as of 07/20/2024, but operation is not guaranteed."

WTF?
i.e we tested these adaptors but Asus, TP Link, Buffalo, etc can decide to fuck things if they wanted to with broken updates which we can't guarantee, but any low latency Bluetooth 5.0 capable device works in reality.

Last edited:

I don’t get it

Good question. Also I highly doubt this will result in more VR ports to PS5 outside of the (few) traditional games that already had VR modes.

So the idea new PSVR2 sales will rekindle investment into VR on the console side aren't just flimsy, they're manipulative (IMO). It's great tech, but ultimately the adoption of PSVR2 was always going to hinge on SIE's 1P support in both games and features.

No PSVR1 BC was a warning sign.

They weren’t happy with the port and that’s why they did Portal 2 themselves.

The answer to why Valve doesn’t do this or that is “they don’t want to.” They’re a big enough company and make enough money they can do whatever they want. If there is no Alyx PS5 port it’s because they don’t want one. They could always change their mind but it’s not going to be because of money that they do it.

They're also privately owned, so they don't have stupid yet greedy majority shareholders or sneaky investor firms like Value Act pushing them for "infinite growth" that's unsustainable without degradation of the product long-term.

Otherwise we'd be seeing them making self-compromising business decisions in gaming like Microsoft (severe case) or SIE (weak-to-mild case). Whereas for now they're more like Nintendo (barely present to no case of such self-compromising business decisions).

Last edited:
This is all very true and sad

It seems like the software side of Sony had zero desire to do the little things to make this successful

No AstroBot…No Half Life….

Its not like we are asking for a new AAA god if war VR game….
Yep. Sony knows that putting out a port of HL:A or a full fledged Astro-Bot VR game now, would be sending the message to their community that they care and that further support would be expected... Sony knows they aren't going to do that. They don't want to commit the first party resources to VR anymore.

I always knew that was going to be a problem with PSVR2... just like a dedicated handheld device would be a problem for Sony. Anything... ANYTHING that takes resources away from them outputting PS5 exclusives is going to fail. Nintendo had to consolidate their handheld and console businesses so that they weren't torn between developing for one or the other.. and that's Nintendo, who make far cheaper games to produce than Sony. Sony simply has to focus on PS5 with all their muscle and make it as profitable as possible.. anything else is a distraction.

It's unfortunate.. but it's the truth. The PSVR2 hardware is still just a bit too expensive, and a bit too cumbersome yet to really be mass adopted. Maybe in the future it will get there and they can try again, but for now, they're honestly making the right decision to pull resources back and just open it up to the PC market to play around with while it also gets the odd 3rd party game that drips slowly from the VR faucet that hasn't been fully shut off yet.

I don’t get it
Simple: Valve has every incentive to withhold it from Sony.

Valve is a platform company first, nowadays. Making games is a secondary consideration and porting those to other platforms runs afoul of their central strategy. Any reason that results in more Steam users is the course Valve will take.

Three

Good question. Also I highly doubt this will result in more VR ports to PS5 outside of the (few) traditional games that already had VR modes.

So the idea new PSVR2 sales will rekindle investment into VR on the console side aren't just flimsy, they're manipulative (IMO). It's great tech, but ultimately the adoption of PSVR2 was always going to hinge on SIE's 1P support in both games and features.

No PSVR1 BC was a warning sign.
I don't blame them for software because barely anyone is making AAA VR games in general let alone exclusive VR games (Valve just did one game 4 years ago and Sony 3-5 exclusive games a year ago) but the no BC even from first party was just a really poor showing. That said I'm still looking forward to Metro Awakening VR.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Im sure Sony would pay for the port. It has nothing to do with desperation

Sony also generates them tons of Software royalties now that their exclusives are on the platform

I just don’t get why they can’t come to an agreement

If Alyx were going to come to PS5, it would have happened without the PC adapter. The PC adapter represents Sony giving up on selling VR2 on the strength of its library.

Last edited:

Valve is a platform company first, nowadays. Making games is a secondary consideration and porting those to other platforms runs afoul of their central strategy. Any reason that results in more Steam users is the course Valve will take.

Not really. They released their games on consoles historically

dcx4610

The price is nice for a simple VR experience but for something like Half-Life, the extra features on the controller really make the game.

I'll probably wait for Valve Index 2 and hope that they can make similar improvements and still come around the $1k mark.

BlackTron

Not really. They released their games on consoles historically

nial

Almost as impressive.
Bloodborne with ultrawide support like Dark soul remastered please!
Bloodborne, Sony, you see that cash on the table and the PC souls fans?
It’s fucking simple which games we want
It's impossible there's no Bloodborne in the pipeline
Sony isn't dumb. They know the thirst for this game
PC gamers have been clamouring for Bloodborne for years now
I would give good money for ports of these on PC, along with Bloodborne
I would LOVE to get Bloodborne on PC
Bloodborne
But they’re dumb enough over there to be sitting on Bloodborne..
Or actually games I wish they would port, they're holding on, I would love to see Bloodborne
I would honestly trade everything Sony has ported so far for Bloodborne
But it’s plain to see what PC crowd wants Bloodborne
Sony would have to bring to PC the likes of Bloodborne hype me up (immensely in case of Bloodborne)
Where's Bloodborne
Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I always knew that was going to be a problem with PSVR2... just like a dedicated handheld device would be a problem for Sony. Anything... ANYTHING that takes resources away from them outputting PS5 exclusives is going to fail.
A handheld is a big difference to what is, at its most basic an alternate display device.

A handheld is a big difference to what is, at its most basic an alternate display device.
The device doesn't matter.. the point is that it takes resources away from the main system, which literally requires every resource from Sony to make it as big of a success as it can be. They're not going to have their big studios making a handheld or VR game when they could be making a PS5 game.

The only way a handheld platform will work for Sony is if their developers can make one version of the game and deploy on both devices with minimal effort. A handheld with bespoke games will 100% fail like the Vita did.. or even worse. They either put their entire soul into it, ala Nintendo... or they'll fail. Same goes for Microsoft. Either their handheld supports PC games and has a chance... or it only plays Xbox games and it fails.

Top Bottom