• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR2 PC gaming adapter reviews

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The device doesn't matter.. the point is that it takes resources away from the main system, which literally requires every resource from Sony to make it as big of a success as it can be. They're not going to have their big studios making a handheld or VR game when they could be making a PS5 game.

The only way a handheld platform will work for Sony is if their developers can make one version of the game and deploy on both devices with minimal effort. A handheld with bespoke games will 100% fail like the Vita did.. or even worse. They either put their entire soul into it, ala Nintendo... or they'll fail. Same goes for Microsoft. Either their handheld supports PC games and has a chance... or it only plays Xbox games and it fails.
A PS5 game is a VR game though, that's the difference. It would take a really small team to add a VR mode to a regular game. They don't have to do anything else, but split the camera in 2.

Last edited:
A PS5 game is a VR game though, that's the difference. It would take a really small team to add a VR mode to a regular game. They don't have to do anything else, but split the camera in 2.
Yea no. If it was like you said, it would have been done already. That's how a lot of people thought the PSVR2 was going to be, but it doesn't work that way. You start trying to make PS5 games into PSVR2 games with VR modes and they just crash and burn because people see that they're cheap conversion attempts. A PSVR2 game needs to be custom built to push the PSVR2 platform.. and every resource it takes to make one comes at the cost of a PS5 exclusive game which would sell 250x better.

People were literally expecting Sony to make AAA VR games with this device... and that's how they sold it to you... but after disappointing initial sales... they immediately changed course and dropped it internally. All they've given since then are scraps. They're not wasting any meaningful resources to change the situation.. They've already put the peace offering out there.. which is allowing you to use the device on PC, which due to its nature, could get a VR game from anyone at any time and doesn't need to sell a platform to grow the base. They can simply target all the PCVR sets out there, now including PSVR2 sets.

Holy shit

You know I have to enter this one as a new entry to the long list

Hope of Half Life Alyx at launch
If Sony ends up with Half Life Alyx
Probably getting Half Life Alyx
If we end up with Half Life Alyx
Valve hinted at PSVR support guys
Sony should pull games from Steam if I don't get Alyx
Since Sony put games on Steam, no reason Valve don't put Alyx on PSVR2
Sony on Steam, Alyx on PSVR2, please?
Half Life Alyx 2, yea yeah Sony is waiting to announce it
Please launch with Half Life Alyx
Sony should give PC Horizon call of the mountain, but we get Alyx ok?
New ENTRY - PC PSVR2 users get to experience Half Life Alyx, why is Valve not cooperative

Never seen someone so thirsty for Half Life Alyx

3676503-alyx%20bottle.gif

Makes me want to install it and do my fourth playthrough.
You can make a similar list of threads for people on Pc asking for Playstation exclusives as well. We're tired of hearing about Bloodborne so much now.

Come On Biden GIF by GIPHY News

Edit; great minds think alike, they already made a list.

Last edited:

BlackTron

A handheld is a big difference to what is, at its most basic an alternate display device.

For the purposes of his point they're rather similar because they both need support with exclusive titles. VR2 is just a platform with exclusive titles that ALSO needs a base system like 32x.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
You can make a similar list of threads for people on Pc asking for Playstation exclusives as well. We're tired of hearing about Bloodborne so much now.

Come On Biden GIF by GIPHY News

Edit; great minds think alike, they already made a list.

The difference is that we’re not in a fever dream like James here who think that Sony has leverage to get Half Life Alyx from Valve, nor has Valve ever commented on the situation :messenger_tears_of_joy:

A million peoples, the devs included are pointing out Bloodborne would be nice on PC, but without some kind of leverage narrative, it’s just obvious the devs want it.

Last edited:

poppabk

Yea no. If it was like you said, it would have been done already. That's how a lot of people thought the PSVR2 was going to be, but it doesn't work that way.
It does work that way. Some guy made a universal Unreal Engine converter for PC. They got GT7 working in VR pretty sharpish on PS5 as well, realistically what do you think the scale of the resources were between making GT7 and making the VR mod?

sncvsrtoip

Gold Member
You start trying to make PS5 games into PSVR2 games with VR modes and they just crash and burn because people see that they're cheap conversion attempts. A PSVR2 game needs to be custom built to push the PSVR2 platform.. and every resource it takes to make one comes at the cost of a PS5 exclusive game which would sell 250x better.
Not sure what you are talking about, it was posted like tousand times on this forum but best vr games availalble on psvr2 are hybrids (conversions from flat titles): gt7, re village, re4 remake, no man's sky

Last edited:

Leonidas

AMD's Dogma: ARyzen (No Intel inside)
PC gamers get to play Half Life on PSVR2, meanwhile PS5 players dont

What’s the issue in making a port? Why won’t Sony pay for it, or why is Valve not cooperative?

I don’t get it
Exclusive to Steam to get more people into the Steam ecosystem, in the same way Sony used to keep games locked into their ecosystem :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

It does work that way. Some guy made a universal Unreal Engine converter for PC. They got GT7 working in VR pretty sharpish on PS5 as well, realistically what do you think the scale of the resources were between making GT7 and making the VR mod?
It sort of does on PC... not on console... cmon now. Those UE converter games you're playing almost always don't actually play like VR games... you simply look at them in VR and play with a controller...

Not sure what you are talking about, it was posted like tousand times on this forum but best vr games availalble on psvr2 are hybrids (conversions from flat titles): gt7, re village, re4 remake, no man's sky
They're only the best games on PSVR2 because nobody worth a damn is making AAA PSVR2 exclusive games... and also why PSVR2 is selling like shit. All those games also existed before PSVR2 outside of RE4 Remake, which is why they bothered making modes at all.

This is literally why you have people in this thread asking "Where's an Astro-Bot VR game? Where is Half Life Alyx?" They want games BUILT for VR... not hacked modes. You're happy with VR side modes because that's all you're getting. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Three

It sort of does on PC... not on console... cmon now. Those UE converter games you're playing almost always don't actually play like VR games... you simply look at them in VR and play with a controller...

They're only the best games on PSVR2 because nobody worth a damn is making AAA PSVR2 exclusive games... and also why PSVR2 is selling like shit. All those games also existed before PSVR2 outside of RE4 Remake, which is why they bothered making modes at all.

This is literally why you have people in this thread asking "Where's an Astro-Bot VR game? Where is Half Life Alyx?" They want games BUILT for VR... not hacked modes. You're happy with VR side modes because that's all you're getting. 🤷‍♂️
Games like Horizon CoTM, Astrobot Rescue Mission, Firewall Ultra and Switchback VR weren't side modes but it's risky to release VR exclusive games on any VR platform including Valve Index/steam. You're not going to get the sales. Even then the PSVR2 has more than most headsets. Most are happy to get VR modes in games that are also flat.

you either trolling or never play gt7 and village on psvr2

You aren't contesting what I'm saying. I never said there weren't good VR modes in games... I'm saying that they aren't enough to sell the units Sony needs for the platform to be viable. You know that... and yet you're trying to "gotcha" me for saying the truth. You guys are hyping up the same games that didn't sell PSVR1 headsets.. RE game VR modes, and GT... and they're not selling PSVR2 headsets either. Side modes don't sell mass headsets. You enjoy them because that is all you're getting.. which is fine. Enjoy the few games you get which Sony actually funded VR modes... it's not going to EVER become a norm. You might as well get used to that now. Like I said.. there's a reason why people want HL:A to this day.

Games like Horizon CoTM, Astrobot Rescue Mission, Firewall Ultra and Switchback VR weren't side modes but it's risky to release VR exclusive games on any VR platform including Valve Index/steam. You're not going to get the sales. Even then the PSVR2 has more than most headsets. Most are happy to get VR modes in games that are also flat.

Absolutely its risky... Sony knew that when they made the thing... This isn't their first rodeo in VR. What Sony thought, is that once they finally had a headset which was at least up to modern standards for controls like the PSVR2, that VR developers would flock to it and make games that would sell the device.. but people bought the damn thing expecting Sony to make AAA VR games and release some consistently.

The simple fact is that there are better VR headset/ecosystems out there, and better price/value propositions. Nobody wants to be tethered in 2024.. nobody wants shitty side modes as their primary VR content. They want built from the ground up experiences made for VR.. and in the case of Sony and the PSVR2, people expected AAA quality built for VR games.

Last edited:

Three

They want built from the ground up experiences made for VR.. and in the case of Sony and the PSVR2, people expected AAA quality built for VR games.
It's all well and good speaking for everybody and saying people expected that but people are not really getting more of that elsewhere at all either so I'm not sure how realistic they were being. With PC/PS support you have more AAA games at the very least on PSVR2. Most games though are hybrid games and that's what a lot of people expected. Not multiple built for VR AAA games in a year, you don't even get that on Quest. Most of them have very modest budgets and are multiplatform. Metro Awakening is one of few built for VR games which I would consider possibly AAA, outside of that there is little to nothing on any VR ecosystem. AAA VR only is far too risky.

Last edited:

poppabk

And between having nothing or playing something like GoW:Ragnarok like that, which do you think is better?
Or just older games, I still haven't finished Alyx because I am working my way through HL2 with VR mod, which is honestly an amazing VR game.

Three

Not sure which one to get Quest 3 or PSVR2.
Do you have a PS5 as well as a PC? If you do I'd recommend a PSVR2. If you don't then get a Quest 3.
Games library is better on the PSVR2 with this adaptor since you get the best of both. All PCVR games and all PSVR games. Head Haptics, HDR and eye tracking might not work on PC but Quest 3 doesn't have those anyway.

Last edited:

AGRacing

Valve probably just doesn't care enough to do it. And they're not going to hand it off to a third party to port it.
If this was true Sony should have offered to port it themselves. Pitch should have been “Hey Valve… want some free money?”

sncvsrtoip

Gold Member
You aren't contesting what I'm saying. I never said there weren't good VR modes in games... I'm saying that they aren't enough to sell the units Sony needs for the platform to be viable. You know that... and yet you're trying to "gotcha" me for saying the truth. You guys are hyping up the same games that didn't sell PSVR1 headsets.. RE game VR modes, and GT... and they're not selling PSVR2 headsets either. Side modes don't sell mass headsets. You enjoy them because that is all you're getting.. which is fine. Enjoy the few games you get which Sony actually funded VR modes... it's not going to EVER become a norm. You might as well get used to that now. Like I said.. there's a reason why people want HL:A to this day.

Absolutely its risky... Sony knew that when they made the thing... This isn't their first rodeo in VR. What Sony thought, is that once they finally had a headset which was at least up to modern standards for controls like the PSVR2, that VR developers would flock to it and make games that would sell the device.. but people bought the damn thing expecting Sony to make AAA VR games and release some consistently.

The simple fact is that there are better VR headset/ecosystems out there, and better price/value propositions. Nobody wants to be tethered in 2024.. nobody wants shitty side modes as their primary VR content. They want built from the ground up experiences made for VR.. and in the case of Sony and the PSVR2, people expected AAA quality built for VR games.
I just show you that vr doesnt need aaa vr only titles, hybrids are good enough and its naive to think that with such a small market we will get vr aaa title. Thats not a problem, problems is there are not enough number of hybrids/vr modes. If we have now 40 not 4 titles people would probably be happy.

It's all well and good speaking for everybody and saying people expected that but people are not really getting more of that elsewhere at all either so I'm not sure how realistic they were being. With PC/PS support you have more AAA games at the very least on PSVR2. Most games though are hybrid games and that's what a lot of people expected. Not multiple built for VR AAA games in a year, you don't even get that on Quest. Most of them have very modest budgets and are multiplatform. Metro Awakening is one of few built for VR games which I would consider possibly AAA, outside of that there is little to nothing on any VR ecosystem. AAA VR only is far too risky.
You're not getting much of either.. be honest. You got a couple RE VR modes and GT7. There's a reason why people who bought the device are complaining and wondering where the games are.. and there's a reason why the device isn't selling to people who haven't bought one yet either. The point is, expectations are not being met either way. PSVR2 fans very likely expected to get a lot of ports of older Quest/Rift titles and so on.. which one obviously would expect.. and it got some.. but that's not enough. They expected this high quality headset to get high quality AAA VR games, and it simply hasn't. It's basically been forgotten about, and the only things people have really gotten are the typical paid-for VR modes... and we're at the point now where I bet Capcom sees absolutely no reason to ever bother with it again.

AAA VR only is far too risky, agreed... but Sony is literally the "AAA game company" here.. Those expectations come with them putting a device out there. Sony have done sweet piss all themselves to really push and support this device... hence this thread.

I just show you that vr doesnt need aaa vr only titles, hybrids are good enough and its naive to think that with such a small market we will get vr aaa title. Thats not a problem, problems is there are not enough number of hybrids/vr modes. If we have now 40 not 4 titles people would probably be happy.
VR absolutely DOES need VR only titles... lmao you can't be serious. Hybrids "are good enough" because you're not getting AAA built for VR games.. and please.. AAA VR games are needed to build the market. And like I said earlier... IT IS NOT EASY to simply shoehorn a VR mode into an existing game.. which is why you have 4 titles and not 40.. which is my entire point.

I feel like some of you guys have already fallen into the "settle for what you'll get" phase of the entire thing... because you know there's no hope of Sony actually providing you guys with AAA VR content themselves. There's a damn reason why Sony is allowing this device to work with PC.. and that's because they expect it to continue to fall into irrelevancy on PS.

Last edited:
For sure easier than create vr only aaa title :d
Never said they weren't. But look at the situation the platform is in... it's not worth it or them to make even VR modes in games... then it REALLY isn't worth it for AAA built for VR games. You're not getting either.. you're getting Quest and PCVR ports for the most part. If it was as easy as you act like it is... there'd be tons of games with VR modes, but the fact that not even Astro-Bots new game has a VR mode, should tell you that it's not easy enough to be worth their while.

Three

You're not getting much of either.. be honest. You got a couple RE VR modes and GT7.
If you mean VR in general is not as supported as I would have hoped then I would agree but if you mean with respect to other headsets? Hard disagree, I just listed some within the year. Horizon:CoTM, Switchback VR, Firewall were the VR only games but in terms of flat games with VR modes you got GT7, RE4, RE village too for exclusives. If however you're talking multiplatform on PSVR2 there are plenty you're getting games like Aliens: Rogue Incursion, No Mans Sky, Metro Awakening and they did get Quest ports with better graphics like Star Wars:tftge, Beat Saber etc.

The support is actually good plus if you go PSVR2 headset on a PC you pretty much have an endless list in mods plus games like FS2021, Dirt etc with official support.

What I take issue with isn't the fact that you're saying there should be more AAA VR only games or more games should have hybrid modes it's that you're making it seem like there are fewer games to play on the headset or that it is fundamentally broken with releases when it's better than most. GT7 and RE are icing on the cake for the PCVR/PSVR compatible headset.

If you mean VR in general is not as supported as I would have hoped then I would agree but if you mean with respect to other headsets? Hard disagree, I just listed some within the year. Horizon:CoTM, Switchback VR, Firewall were the VR only games but in terms of flat games with VR modes you got GT7, RE4, RE village too for exclusives. If however you're talking multiplatform on PSVR2 there are plenty you're getting games like Aliens: Rogue Incursion, No Mans Sky, Metro Awakening and they did get Quest ports with better graphics like Star Wars:tftge, Beat Saber etc.

The support is actually good plus if you go PSVR2 headset on a PC you pretty much have an endless list in mods plus games like FS2021, Dirt etc with official support.

What I take issue with isn't the fact that you're saying there should be more AAA VR only games or more games should have hybrid modes it's that you're making it seem like there are fewer games to play on the headset or that it is fundamentally broken with releases when it's better than most. GT7 and RE are icing on the cake for the PCVR/PSVR compatible headset.
So... you're saying the headset is well supported? Don't talk about PC support.... PC support is a result of the support of the headset and adoption being abysmal on PS consoles.

I'd argue that dev support has been utter trash. Sony's support has basically been trash.. outside of GT7. You have predicable Capcom VR modes for the RE games... and that's basically it. Nothing that actually sets the platform apart from things that are already out, that people likely already own, and games that people have likely already bought elsewhere.

It's been a massive failure.. and like I said.. you can be happy with what you've gotten from it... there are always SOME people who are happy with failed platforms... but that doesn't change the reality of it.

For the record, Valve's support of their headset, and PCVR has been abysmal as well. We got HL:A and that's it. So I'm not acting like Sony is the only problem here.. but PCVR with Steam and the fact that most users have a Quest device, means that they have a fairly well supported ecosystem outside of what you'd get on a console alone. PCVR can be fine for gamers who simply love to tinker with shit and hack in VR to games... as was stated earlier. But it's not going to sell the platform to mass audiences. Quest has done the best at that, and it's because Quest has a curated ecosystem with some great games and apps compared to other VR devices out there.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

Gold Member
(...) but the fact that not even Astro-Bots new game has a VR mode, should tell you that it's not easy enough to be worth their while.
astro bot wont get vr mode not becasue implementing this is hard (even flat2vr studio tried to contact them) but because head of team Asobi in interview made it clear that he has this stupid view that either go all in vr from the beginning or nothing

Three

So... you're saying the headset is well supported? Don't talk about PC support.... PC support is a result of the support of the headset and adoption being abysmal on PS consoles.
PC support is a result of the VR market suffering worse than the games market already is, due to it being even smaller. You need only look at Ubisoft and EAs comments about VR. I'd argue that the support wasn't bad. Getting games like Horizon: CotM, GT7, RE4, RE Village plus the other games both exclusive and multiplatform was good support. Better than most headsets actually.
I'd argue that dev support has been utter trash. Sony's support has basically been trash.. outside of GT7. You have predicable Capcom VR modes for the RE games... and that's basically it. Nothing that actually sets the platform apart from things that are already out, that people likely already own, and games that people have likely already bought elsewhere.
If somebody already has another headset then yes it becomes an even harder sell if they're not interested in the 5-6 exclusives released for it in the year and a bit.
It's been a massive failure.. and like I said.. you can be happy with what you've gotten from it... there are always SOME people who are happy with failed platforms... but that doesn't change the reality of it.

For the record, Valve's support of their headset, and PCVR has been abysmal as well. We got HL:A and that's it. So I'm not acting like Sony is the only problem here.. but PCVR with Steam and the fact that most users have a Quest device, means that they have a fairly well supported ecosystem outside of what you'd get on a console alone. PCVR can be fine for gamers who simply love to tinker with shit and hack in VR to games... as was stated earlier. But it's not going to sell the platform to mass audiences. Quest has done the best at that, and it's because Quest has a curated ecosystem with some great games and apps compared to other VR devices out there.
Apps I agree Quest has done a much better job and the overall package is more mainstream friendly but games I don't think it's that ahead on. Now PSVR2 with both PCVR and PSVR support is I would say better in terms of getting more "AAA games" with VR support. You're getting most of the Quest game ports too plus PS5/PC.

Last edited:

BlackTron

astro bot wont get vr mode not becasue implementing this is hard (even flat2vr studio tried to contact them) but because head of team Asobi in interview made it clear that he has this stupid view that either go all in vr from the beginning or nothing

Glad to hear he said that. IMO he is a smart game director.

poppabk

Apps I agree Quest has done that much better job and the overall package is more mainstream friendly but games I don't think it's that ahead on. Now PSVR2 with both PCVR and PSVR support is I would say better in terms of getting more "AAA games" with VR support. You're getting most of the Quest game ports too plus PS5/PC.
This is changing pretty rapidly though. Meta are distancing themselves from PC (and quest 2) as best they can, making pretty much everything they have Quest 3 exclusive going forward.

Last edited:

Three

This is changing pretty rapidly though. Meta are distancing themselves from PC (and quest 2) as best they can, making pretty much everything they have Quest 3 exclusive going forward.
Yeah I can see that happening if they build a sizable lead vs PCVR/PSVR.

Ever since it's announcement, PSVR2 always seemed like a dumb way to spend $500 to me. And I say that as someone who absolutely loves VR.

Shocked anyone would ever spend money on this. Even now with the PC adapter.

Last edited:

nial

How is that stupid? A VR mode for Astro Bot would be inferior in every single way to the last gen Rescue Mission, and people would still complain about it.

poppabk

How is that stupid? A VR mode for Astro Bot would be inferior in every single way to the last gen Rescue Mission, and people would still complain about it.
But they would have a game.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
If you just want one VR headset
And don’t care for GT7

Do get the quest 3

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
What's to say they have even tried? All of this is in Sony's hands most likely. They probably just don't care enough to pay for it.

This pretty much. If Sony gave Valve $10 million to port it, they probably would.

hlm666

PC gamers get to play Half Life on PSVR2, meanwhile PS5 players dont

What’s the issue in making a port? Why won’t Sony pay for it, or why is Valve not cooperative?

I don’t get it
Valve were angling for more cooperation with console makers when they released portal 2 and had the account link thing so u got a copy on console/pc no matter what store you bought it from. Consoles didn't budge and possibly walked back some things but were happy for it to work one way (i.e buy it on console free steam one fine but wouldn't play ball the other way). Valve walked away from the market as a result with no interest in cooperating/working with consoles again, and consoles are only selling on steam for their own self interest they arn't doing it to help valve.

I don't think you'll see valve bothering with consoles for anything until Gabe is gone, and he looks well enough these days that gaming could have changed alot again by then.

Lots of speculation but i don't recall them ever saying no. I doubt sony cares enough to actually ask them.
Wasnt there always beef between the two ever since Orange Box ps3. Valve just probably dont want to bother anymore. Now thats a blast from the past.

Not really. They released their games on consoles historically
Actually no, you're wrong. They haven't released a game on Xbox or Playstation since 2012. All of their games since then have been exclusive to Steam (with a notable exception being Portal on Switch)

Think about how far their ecosystem has grown since then? I mean goodness they even have a VR platform: SteamVR.

They have every reason to incentivize customers to buy their killer app on their platform. Or put more simply, the same reason is why Sony isn't selling God of War on Switch or Xbox.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
While it’s cool for those who own psvr2 already what’s the big deal? Not hating but I thought everyone was saying meta 3 on pc was better.

Has something changed and now psvr2 is better in of than meta quest 3??

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
z6sHjnn.png

It has 4 cables now? Wow. Add bluetooth issues on top of that too(you have to link controllers with BT). Even Quest 2 plays very well wirelessly(even better with add steam link app), so I definitely want that feature in my future VR headset too(Quest 4?).

Three

z6sHjnn.png

It has 4 cables now? Wow. Add bluetooth issues on top of that too(you have to link controllers with BT). Even Quest 2 plays very well wirelessly(even better with add steam link app), so I definitely want that feature in my future VR headset too(Quest 4?).
It's 3 wires going to an adapter and one wire coming out. With the amount of people complaining about Quest compression with the Link you should be happy it's got a straight from HDMI connection for PCVR. The Quest doesn't support DP over USB-C on PCVR which everyone is asking for. Quest encodes it with compression artifacts and sends it to the headset that then decodes it. It's like streaming. It sucks.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
z6sHjnn.png

Uhm mount it away under your desk with some cable management. You only have to connect the USBC cable when you want to use it so that you never see it, it’s not that difficult.

Top Bottom