• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR2 PC gaming adapter reviews

smbu2000

"The following products have been confirmed to work by SIE as of 07/20/2024, but operation is not guaranteed."

WTF?
Probably just because some future update to psvr2 or windows or that particular BT device might cause an incompatibility issue sometime in the future. That’s why they can only guarantee compatibility as of the tested date.

E.g. I have an old macbook that I use with a usb wifi dongle. If I were to update the OS though I wouldn’t be able to use the dongle anymore because the drivers aren’t supported on the newer versions of macOS.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
While it’s cool for those who own psvr2 already what’s the big deal? Not hating but I thought everyone was saying meta 3 on pc was better.

Has something changed and now psvr2 is better in of than meta quest 3??
Quest3 had LCD screens with grey blacks. PSVR2 has OLED with pure black blacks. For folks that play a lot of space games or dark horror games the difference is enough.

Resenge

Majority of psvr2 users would be happy even with simple vr mode vs getting nothing
Agreed.

I enjoy being immersed inside the game world, having real 3D perspectives and being able to look around and admire the world as I play. I do not need full on motion control with standing VR to enjoy being immersed inside the game.

Thats why UEVR is so damn good, It allows me to do just that with older non VR games. Playing older games I loved from a new perspective inside the gameworld is fucking awesome.

I recomend to anyone who is into tinkering and gets a PSVR2 pc adaptor to check out UEVR btw

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
The Quest doesn't support DP over USB-C on PCVR which everyone is asking for.
Nope.
It's like streaming. It sucks.
I think its ok.
mount it away under your desk with some cable management.
I don't want any of it. Although I get better visuals and less lag with a cable, I prefer to comfortably and quickly play my game wirelessly. If it gets to the size of glasses in the future and I use it constantly connected to a PC(like a mouse), I might prefer wired usage for games played while sitting.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Quest3 had LCD screens with grey blacks. PSVR2 has OLED with pure black blacks. For folks that play a lot of space games or dark horror games the difference is enough.

The myth that OLED in a VR setting is true pure black needs to die. Simply not true. These aren't used like your OLED TV. Peoples act like PSVR2 is the first OLED VR headset, dude, almost all 1st or 2nd gen headsets went through that phase on PC. Driving OLEDs in the on-and-off region (true black) is a MUCH slower physical transition than driving them between brightness levels when on. So don't turn off the pixels completely because persistence, mura and black smear would be bad. The headset already has the highest persistence in the market at 0% brightness. They need black frame insertion to reduce motion blur in the of range of 1 to 2 ms to not fuck up the VR persistence

Now, still the best "blacks" and I'm not trying to convince otherwise, although for obvious reasons micro-OLED is better at everything but in another price range, but let's stop the narrative that this is "perfect" blacks, it's not even OLED TV black blacks. There's room for improvements but it won't be made on OLED screens, micro-OLED is the immediate future of VR headsets.

Last edited:
Actually no, you're wrong. They haven't released a game on Xbox or Playstation since 2012. All of their games since then

Season 2 Lol GIF by Friends

Not really. They released their games on consoles historically
They did, once upon a time. And even then, it was done begrudgingly or in the hopes of a broader strategy pursuit (Portal 2 on PS3, namely).

But Valve is in a different position and their core objective is to keep would-be pursuers out of the digital distribution ecosystem. Anything that doesn’t advantage them more than their competitors is not worth the return.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The myth that OLED in a VR setting is true pure black needs to die. Simply not true. These aren't used like your OLED TV. Peoples act like PSVR2 is the first OLED VR headset, dude, almost all 1st or 2nd gen headsets went through that phase on PC. Driving OLEDs in the on-and-off region (true black) is a MUCH slower physical transition than driving them between brightness levels when on. So don't turn off the pixels completely because persistence, mura and black smear would be bad. The headset already has the highest persistence in the market at 0% brightness. They need black frame insertion to reduce motion blur in the of range of 1 to 2 ms to not fuck up the VR persistence

Now, still the best "blacks" and I'm not trying to convince otherwise, although for obvious reasons micro-OLED is better at everything but in another price range, but let's stop the narrative that this is "perfect" blacks, it's not even OLED TV black blacks. There's room for improvements but it won't be made on OLED screens, micro-OLED is the immediate future of VR headsets.
I have an OLED headset (Quest 1) and the black level looks black to me. LCD headsets black level is a joke in comparison (I also have a Quest3). Apart from resolution and a slightly better sweet spot, the Quest 1 beats it hands down in contrast, black level and colour.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I have an OLED headset (Quest 1) and the black level looks black to me. LCD headsets black level is a joke in comparison (I also have a Quest3). Apart from resolution and a slightly better sweet spot, the Quest 1 beats it hands down in contrast, black level and colour.

Still not perfect blacks. It's a known thing. There's room for improvements. I don't care if you drag LCD screens in the mud, I'm correcting a simple fact.

cyberheater

Still not perfect blacks. It's a known thing. There's room for improvements. I don't care if you drag LCD screens in the mud, I'm correcting a simple fact.
I just dug out my Quest 1 and tried some black screens. It’s pure black. When I look at menus with a black background the blacks look solid black.
I can only hope the PSVR2 blacks are as good.

Have you tried the PSVR2? How is the black level?

Last edited:

Brock2621

Looking forward to getting this adapter and playing Alyx. A little disappointed in no haptics and HDR though. Really hoping they get those implemented. Nonetheless, I'm stoked!

ssringo

Quest3 vs PSVR2

Pretty good video. The big thing that worries me with the PSVR2 is the bluetooth. Apparently others have said it works fine so I wonder if it's because of his adapters or that his PC is a bit outdated. I'd like to think my brand new high end PC with bluetooth 5.3 would have no issues but I'd be highly pissed if I spent the money on the VR adapter and then have to go out and buy various bluetooth adapters in hopes one works right.

Still, I don't own a Quest 3 so it'll be cheaper regardless. And the big pro for me is native display. The compression (among other things) on the Quest 2 destroyed any chance of me using it on PC.

Bry0

Quest3 vs PSVR2

I have both of these headsets, I was thinking of grabbing the adapter just to try it out on pc but now I’m not so sure it’s even worth the $60. May just continue to be the GT7 headset. I don’t really like how the controllers connect, I’m so used to quest 3 that I didn’t even consider that.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Alyx would be amazing on the console, yes, but -- you wouldn't have access to all the amazing mods (whole campaigns, fully completed with environments, voices, etc). That's a significant loss over what you get with the Steam workshop.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I just dug out my Quest 1 and tried some black screens. It’s pure black. When I look at menus with a black background the blacks look solid black.
I can only hope the PSVR2 blacks are as good.

Have you tried the PSVR2? How is the black level?
I pull out my Quest 1 sometimes too, to goof around. One thing that I noticed going back from the Q3, is the very apparent black smearing from the lower response times. As always, there are pros and cons. I would love to be able to experience the micro-OLED in the AVP to see how it compares

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I pull out my Quest 1 sometimes too, to goof around. One thing that I noticed going back from the Q3, is the very apparent black smearing from the lower response times. As always, there are pros and cons. I would love to be able to experience the micro-OLED in the AVP to see how it compares

Bigscreen beyond would be a cheaper option than AVP, it has micro-oled and pancake lenses, less features than AVP of course.

micro-OLED will come to more affordable headsets in next wave. Production prices are dropping.

I don't blame them for software because barely anyone is making AAA VR games in general let alone exclusive VR games (Valve just did one game 4 years ago and Sony 3-5 exclusive games a year ago) but the no BC even from first party was just a really poor showing. That said I'm still looking forward to Metro Awakening VR.

Probably also Half-Life 3 VR (on Steam, with PSVR2).

I'd love to hear the explanation for no PSVR1 BC at a technical level, if one hasn't been officially provided yet anyway.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Bigscreen beyond would be a cheaper option than AVP, it has micro-oled and pancake lenses, less features than AVP of course.

micro-OLED will come to more affordable headsets in next wave. Production prices are dropping.
Oh I'm not intending to purchase one, I just want to set up an appointment at an apple store to check it out. That would be difficult with a big screen HMD. If I were to guess, micro-OLED displays will exclusively be supported by higher end headsets for awhile ($1000+). Yes, more affordable, but because of my investment in software, I'll be with Meta for the foreseeable future. I imagine maybe Q5, or the equivalent, will be the first mainstream low cost headset with micro-led. Of course, I'm just guessing

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™

I'd love to hear the explanation for no PSVR1 BC at a technical level, if one hasn't been officially provided yet anyway.

It's no surprise that the person who thought that PSVR2 on PC would be streaming that you don't understand that PSVR2 has an entirely different framework than PSVR1, which worked based off a camera's understanding and tracking of where the PlayStation move controllers were in conjunction with the headtracking of the unit.

Not sure how you don't understand that Sony moving to a camera-free VR system makes PSVR1 inherently incompatible and that games would need to be updated on a game-to-game basis, which they also said would be difficult.

I'm not sure, but I'm not surprised either.

nemiroff

Gold Member

Yeah, the high-end VR brands are as usual setting the stage for advanced technology to become more accessible in the future. The micro-OLED displays, with their 5000-15000 nits range, are a perfect match for pancake lenses which lose up to 85-90% of the light passing through. The Pimax Crystal Super is likely around the next micro-OLED corner (been available for pre-order for a while)(ppd much higher than the Apple Vision Pro's).

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Oh I'm not intending to purchase one, I just want to set up an appointment at an apple store to check it out. That would be difficult with a big screen HMD. If I were to guess, micro-OLED displays will exclusively be supported by higher end headsets for awhile ($1000+). Yes, more affordable, but because of my investment in software, I'll be with Meta for the foreseeable future. I imagine maybe Q5, or the equivalent, will be the first mainstream low cost headset with micro-led. Of course, I'm just guessing

Beyond at $1k with the low volumes and no leverage of production mass scaling and pricing is already impressive. For sure Meta’s next headset could do it I think, considering we won’t hear of a Quest 4 until late 2025.

Deckard (Valve’s next) was rumoured to have it but that’s an unknown timeline with valve being valve.

Pico could be a surprise. They dropped the next pico headsets and said the competition to Meta is no longer the focus, but Apple Vision is, so Chinese headsets could come in with big surprise of a cheap pancake plus micro OLED headset.

NinjaBoiX

Should've made psvr 2 completely wireless leveraging wifi 6 that's already in ps5 that in itself would've improved sales by alot.
There’s no way you could know that, because it would be a completely different product at a much higher price.

To have all the processing happening directly in the headset, not to mention the battery?

I shudder to think of the cost…

You can’t just say “should’ve made it wireless”, as if they didn’t include wrist straps or something.

Last edited:

cyberheater

I wonder if there will be a day one update to address the sense controller trashing. The official PC adapter release date is the 9th I believe. These controllers are in out tracked so a lot could be attributed to software alone.
I thinks it’s the 7th.

cyberheater

Oculus exclusive games using revive (once again in German, and no. I don’t speak German)

Last edited:

Ovek

7Member7
Sony did not include a Bluetooth adapter with the kit and apparently PSVR2 is very picky about what bluetooth adapters.

Wait a minute, they make you buy a stupid box to basically split out displayport and usb out of the type c connector for "reasons" and they didn't include bluetooth in it for the controllers?

"Designed for PC in mind" my fucking arse.

Three

The reason I've heard is because they provided low level access to the tracking hardware to developers which is fundamentally different in PSVR2 so they have to go and rewrite their code. If it were a common API they might have been able to adapt it for the new tracking method and got BC for all games that used that API. Of course there is very little reason for developers to do so if they don't expect increased sales with a small install base . I'd imagine there is a lot of crossover between PSVR1 owners on top too so it would be just a free patch most dowload and not many new sales.

Last edited:

Kupfer

Well good for you, I'm with this guy.
My PC is weak, the PS5 and PSVR2 would be a welcome platform for me to enjoy a game I can't enjoy otherwise

Also I thought this guy holds a dick in his hand
8A3i2p4.jpeg

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
So you will have to have extra shit, normal high speed USB-C won't do? That's a shame, because it feels like this is just some unnecessary extra annoyance, because you are "pleb" PC gamer

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
So you will have to have extra shit, normal high speed USB-C won't do? That's a shame, because it feels like this is just some unnecessary extra annoyance, because you are "pleb" PC gamer

Not sure how many people need to say this but USB-C can't power these devices by itself. Even the Quest 3 will run off battery power when you connect it to PC and slow drain while you're charging it.

When Sony designed the headset the vision was VirtualLink, but PC didn't move forward with that. That would have allowed a single USB-C cable and my guess is if Sony knew VirtualLink was DOA, they would have designed the PSVR2 around wireless and gave it a battery pack. They sacrificed wireless in order to reduce the weight and cost, because wireless wasn't ready for primetime.

But the adapter is nowhere to be seen in the UK.

It releases tomorrow.

Top Bottom