• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puppeteer |OT| $40, No Strings Attached

iratA

Just finished this game up story wise. Wow! The little touches in the end credits etc show what a class act this production was. This game made me a fan of Gavin Moore and Japan Studios. It was a wonderful adventure filled with amazing art, some of the PS3's best visuals and a charming cast. Would love a sequel or another puppet theater experience.

Imagine where they could take this using PS4 tech. *melts into a pile* Bring it Sony!

What makes you think this? Poor sales?

Pretty sure the developer (Gavin Moore) said it wouldn't be coming to Vita. That might have changed since he made those comments and I really, really hope it has, but I'm not getting mine or anyone else's hopes up for a Vita version until there's something substantial to suggest it's coming to Vita.

Andrew.

Banned
Pretty sure the developer (Gavin Moore) said it wouldn't be coming to Vita. That might have changed since he made those comments and I really, really hope it has, but I'm not getting mine or anyone else's hopes up for a Vita version until there's something substantial to suggest it's coming to Vita.

Visually, is a port of this game even possible on the Vita?

Triz

I've been playing this on and off, the long levels kinda turned me off. Until I hit Level 3-2. My god this game is amazing.

Man, this feels like 60 fps for me after playing GTAV, ahaha.

Finally got this from Gamefly, the presentation, art, style, art direction, performance, everything is so top-notch. I find the chatty bits a tad overlong, but all-in-all this game is leaving a very strong first impression, and I've only just gotten to Act 2.

Espada

I finished this game recently, and after a tepid first level it quickly won me over. By the time I got to the
Wild Waste
, I was hooked. My goodness the music in this game is awesome, and the story puts you in crazy ass scenarios to navigate through. Those last few chapters were incredible, and I still can't believe the visuals they pulled off in this game.

One negative is missing out on a bunch of bonus levels because I didn't have the right head, and there doesn't seem to be a way of equipping the ones you want.

wouwie

I really wonder if this particular team at Japan studio will get the opportunity to work on a new game, either a Puppeteer sequel (which would make most sense) or something else. I think they really deserve to have another go at making a Puppeteer game. A lot of new franchises improve upon the original in a sequel and Puppeteer has lots of potential.

I really wonder if this particular team at Japan studio will get the opportunity to work on a new game, either a Puppeteer sequel (which would make most sense) or something else. I think they really deserve to have another go at making a Puppeteer game. A lot of new franchises improve upon the original in a sequel and Puppeteer has lots of potential.
I hope so. I fear tho that they will just be merged with other JS projects with Next Gen looming and all.

Who knows tho how Gavin will continue from here on. He could direct another game even if it is with a different team be it smaller or larger.

Himself

Man, this feels like 60 fps for me after playing GTAV, ahaha.

Finally got this from Gamefly, the presentation, art, style, art direction, performance, everything is so top-notch. I find the chatty bits a tad overlong, but all-in-all this game is leaving a very strong first impression, and I've only just gotten to Act 2.

The stuff that comes after Act 2 is where the game really starts to shine. Enjoy.

TripOpt55

Man I played a couple acts of this when I first got it and ended up not playing it for a bit. Hadn't really hooked me in, but now that I jumped back in (just finished Act 6) I'm really loving this. That fifth act was amazing. Boss fights are really cool. Game gets a lot better when you get more abilities. Can't wait to finish this game up.

Andrew.

Banned
Has anyone else had any luck getting addtional Elephant Heads off of the elephant that appears during the General Rabbit fight after the first time you beat him?

This head isnt appearing anywhere and I have a feeling its gonna be the one roadblock from using every head action correctly.

TripOpt55

Just finished this game. Great stuff. Takes a few acts to get going, but man did it grow on me as it went on. The boss fights were excellent. The gameplay got a lot better in general when you got more abilities. I still feel like there were some missed opportunities on that front, but it was a lot of fun still and I could see them really building on the foundation they have here in a sequel. It goes without saying the presentation is amazing. They really go all out with the puppet/theater style. Very unique and entertaining. A lot of charm too from the character designs to the various head animations and The story book stuff or even just the moving paintings that were on the level select screen. Pikarina really cracked me up too. Her and the narrator bickering was pretty great. What a fun game.

Finally picked this up again starting at 1-2 and beat everything through act 5. I struggle to comprehend the amount of effort that went into the game's presentation. Unique art assets out the ass and constantly unique set/character animation. How big was the development team? Jesus.

Gameplay is mostly alright, sometimes pretty good. Not as involving as I'd like but the variety is good and the presentation keeps me on my toes. I'm enjoying my time with it and $40 was a great deal.

Oh man, I am glad to see buzz for this game here. I thought I was the only one who bought it! A mate of mine did some of the level design, if she could read English I'm sure this thread would make her day.

Tizoc

This game has more cutscenes than it ever needs yeesh!
At times I can't help but want the scenes to end so I can continue playing, but what I have played was pretty good far as 2D Platformers go. Just wish the Heads did more than just affect the play area and unlocking bonuses.

Graphics and presentation are top notch, gameplay is good, but I really wish it had less cutscenes.

Still if one were to nominate a game as GotY for its story or presentation over overall gameplay, then this game would immediatly count.

Currently made it to World 3, when do I get to the
LUCHADOR world?

This game has more cutscenes than it ever needs yeesh!
At times I can't help but want the scenes to end so I can continue playing, but what I have played was pretty good far as 2D Platformers go. Just wish the Heads did more than just affect the play area and unlocking bonuses.

Graphics and presentation are top notch, gameplay is good, but I really wish it had less cutscenes.

Still if one were to nominate a game as GotY for its story or presentation over overall gameplay, then this game would immediatly count.

Currently made it to World 3, when do I get to the
LUCHADOR world?
It's the next one.

Deap92x

Banned
Just finished the game but i have a question.

Is little bear the actual dark moon king? the big one inside the shy one or what?

Great game though.

DirtyLarry

I totally was sleeping on the fact I had this game as a rental from GameFly. My wife went out for a night on the town tonight, so I had the night to myself, which is a rarity.

After endless hours of playing the SP of GTA V, I needed something different. I threw in Beyond: Two Souls (also a rental from GameFly), and was just not in the right frame of mind to check it out.

Then I remembered I had Puppeteer. Damn, I am very glad I did.

First and foremost, I had no idea the game itself supported stereoscopic 3D. I guess the game auto detected I had a 3D TV, so right away it asked me if I wanted to enable it. Because I had already checked out gameplay video so I knew the game itself already has a good sense of depth because of how it is presented "on-stage," I had a funny feeling the 3D would really work. So let me say, DAMN, the 3D really does work.

I put the following in the thread about best 3D console games...

Puppeteer is easily one of the best 3D games on the PS3, and is in fact probably the very best. The visuals are outstanding, and really are perfectly suited for the enhancement of 3D. The more important thing is because the frame rate of the game without 3D is a solid 60fps, enabling 3D does not create a headache inducing slide show.

So anyone who happens to own a 3D TV and a PS3 who is looking for a game that showcases the tech on the PS3, look no further than Puppeteer. It is truly phenomenal from a 3D perspective, and although I only checked out Act 1, it also seems to be an incredibly solid platformer.

What a damn good game on all fronts. Being someone who graduated from Parsons School of Design and has always been a fine artist my entire life, I am somewhat of a snob when it comes to video games graphics. Hey, at least I can admit it.

With that said, I have no problem whatsoever saying Puppeteer is truly art in motion. Without sounding to cheesy, I will say it is beautiful. The amount of detail is truly stunning. The whole style and art direction is impeccable. It very much feels like a childrens book come to life. Just what a stunning game visually. Add in the fact the 3D is spectacular, and I am in love with this game from a visual standpoint. Hopefully the gameplay matches the visuals, as I only played the very first stage and how to come share the fact this game is fantastic to look at, and it is one of the rare games this generation that the 3D actually enhances the visual style, and does not detract from it. Just awesome.

I still can't get over how Sony just sent this game to its death.
Why foot the bill for what was clearly a pretty big budget only to completely ignore it when it's done?
This could've done well.

Stampy

I wonder if any other recently published Sony game sold as poorly as this one. Terrible retail sales, and the game didn't even enter top 20 download in the first month on PSN. :(

Tizoc

HDTVs exist FOR this game, seriously the colors the animation, the visuals of the entire game are freakin' amazing. If you're gonna try and sell the game on someone tell them about that and if they have an HDTV with 3D it'd be visual bliss.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
On Act 2-3. Some signs of brilliance shown so far but man the pacing is frustrating.To much stopping and starting. It would have been really nice to continue playing during all this narrative, similar to something like KI:Uprising.

Right now I can't help but compare Puppeteer to Kirby: Epic Yarn; great presentation flawed by lack of difficulty and inconsistency. Obviously these are early impressions and I will continue to play before I make a final opinion, but I can't help but be disappointed at this moment. Maybe I should have played this before Rayman Legends.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
just finished this an hour ago. most underrated game of 2013 by a long shot. Makes me sad! Gorgeous art direction and fantastic characters with a fun story, fun gameplay, nice music, and quite long for this type of game. It's my personal "sleeper hit" of 2013 and is criminally overlooked

Tizoc

Well just beat the game, but I'd like to know:
Is there a secret endign or such if I collect all Heads and complete the bonus stages? Also how many Picture Stories are there?

Tizoc

GAF I really need your help with this:
1- How big is in the install data for the retail ver. for EU and US PSN.

2- For those that got the game via US PSN, how much is its size on your PS3 (Highlight Puppeteer, press Triangle and choose Information)?

Cuz as wacky as this is gonna sound, if the retail EU/UK ver. requires an install of 6 GB...I'll double dip and get the US ver. that's on sale now =V

GAF I really need your help with this:
1- How big is in the install data for the retail ver. for EU and US PSN.

2- For those that got the game via US PSN, how much is its size on your PS3 (Highlight Puppeteer, press Triangle and choose Information)?

Cuz as wacky as this is gonna sound, if the retail EU/UK ver. requires an install of 6 GB...I'll double dip and get the US ver. that's on sale now =V

Pretty sure there isn't an install for the retail version.

US version should be around 6gb.

Tizoc

Pretty sure there isn't an install for the retail version.

US version should be around 6gb.

Weird I could've sworn the EU disc ver. requiring 6 GB install...I'll double check from my end.
Either way thanks, surprised the extra 6 GB for EU is for the multi-audio, if only they made it a seperate DL @_@

Top Bottom