• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris |OT| From Russia With Blob

Getting flustered. Feels like every PP tutorial presents these ideal setups that just don't happen in actual gameplay. None of them address methods to manage puyos that you don't use to build your chain.
These types of guides are difficult to write because of the extreme variability, but in general you can use the extra Puyo to
A) build the second floor
B) add bulk to your existing chains
C) harass the opponent with them
D) work them into a tail

With the exception of C) you can improve your technique by exposing yourself to different chain setups beyond the basic trinity of stairs/sandwich/L-shape.

joker3782

Neo Member
I faced someone with a 4000 score in ranked mode.

Dude was playing Tetris while I was playing checkers.

Oh man same thing happened with me last night. Played some online ranked swap mode and I got annihilated by a player who was in the top 50 in their region. It was pretty horrific.

JJShadow

One question GAF: my girlfriend and I are having a blast with the demo, just playing a few swap games from time to time. I'm thinking about buying the full game, but I don't know if it's worth the price (Switch version) just to play some casual games every couple of days or so

Is it worth the investment just for some casual co-op games?

Fireblend

Banned
One question GAF: my girlfriend and I are having a blast with the demo, just playing a few swap games from time to time. I'm thinking about buying the full game, but I don't know if it's worth the price (Switch version) just to play some casual games every couple of days or so

I would say so without a doubt, yes. The story mode is also tons of fun, I wouldn't ignore it and it could be fun to beat with your gf. There's no co-op but you can always do one stage each.

Dazzler

Swap mode is just the best. It takes two outstanding individual games, mashes them together and makes an even more engaging experience

Timing chains to hit just as the board switches adds another layer of tactics altogether. I love it so much

Swap mode is just the best. It takes two outstanding individual games, mashes them together and makes an even more engaging experience

Timing chains to hit just as the board switches adds another layer of tactics altogether. I love it so much

Yep, Swap Mode is my favorite mode in the game. It adds a nice element of timing chains to the mix.

zigg

That's a great question, actually. You can get a ton of mileage out of the demo's Swap mode, which is IMO the best this game has to offer.

I bought it, though, and I have been playing a ton of single-player, mostly Adventure, and have been getting better at Puyo as a result. That's been rather enjoyable.

I don't really play online, except for occasional friend matches (which are hard to set up because we're all 30+ now.) Not really interested in being super-competitive.

In conclusion, I don't know what you should do. 😁

Kneefoil

Adventure stage 7-1 is driving me insane.

Every other stage until this point, I've managed to get 3 stars on. Most of them have been easy to get, but with a few stages I've had to try new things and think how I want to play in order to get all 3 stars. This one, however, seems impossible to me.

Maybe skillful enough players can get 20k points with a single chain/combo/whatever, but I'm having a very difficult time building anything close to such a thing in Fusion. I also tried playing as poorly as I could while still surviving (basically just trying to counter whatever she does to me and doing little else), but Amitie's AI is so brain dead, that it'll always find a way to make her kill herself.

I've only managed to get over 15k points once so far. Maybe I should just move on and come back to it when I have a better grasp on how to play Fusion well.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Adventure stage 7-1 is driving me insane.

Every other stage until this point, I've managed to get 3 stars on. Most of them have been easy to get, but with a few stages I've had to try new things and think how I want to play in order to get all 3 stars. This one, however, seems impossible to me.

Maybe skillful enough players can get 20k points with a single chain/combo/whatever, but I'm having a very difficult time building anything close to such a thing in Fusion. I also tried playing as poorly as I could while still surviving (basically just trying to counter whatever she does to me and doing little else), but Amitie's AI is so brain dead, that it'll always find a way to make her kill herself.

I've only managed to get over 15k points once so far. Maybe I should just move on and come back to it when I have a better grasp on how to play Fusion well.

Learn active-chaining:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhaVBSfV3mk

Build up your stack about 2/3 up the screen, then start clearing it all out one piece at a time at a rapid pace so that your chain never breaks.

Kneefoil

Learn active-chaining:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhaVBSfV3mk

Build up your stack about 2/3 up the screen, then start clearing it all out one piece at a time at a rapid pace so that your chain never breaks.

Thanks for the tip.

I already know about active chaining, though. I'm just having a hard time actually keeping one going long enough. Thinking and moving quickly enough is probably the hardest part. I also keep accidentally popping my Puyos too early with Tetris pieces. It's so hard to keep track of what I'm trying to do with both types of pieces being in the play.

Just need to keep on practicing, I guess.

Edit: Got it! Apparently 18k was enough. I was sure the requirement was 20k, but I'll take it. lol

When, we play the game my gf subconsciously repeats the voice samples of her character for the entirety of the match. Just had a swap game with her where she went 5 minutes straight saying "pipipipiiiii". Same with that male character who goes "baaah" every few seconds fml.

When, we play the game my gf subconsciously repeats the voice samples of her character for the entirety of the match. Just had a swap game with her where she went 5 minutes straight saying "pipipipiiiii". Same with that male character who goes "baaah" every few seconds fml.

If you're playing the English version and she picks Rulue, hmmmm...

I don't know what her VA was thinking with a couple of her lines.

BizzyBum

I just spent an hour trying to beat story mode 5-3 and not even coming close to getting 80,000 points for 1 star.

This game is not for me. lol

edit: or should I say, Puyo Puyo is not for me. I like Tetris, not so much for the Puyo's.

Kneefoil

Got 3 stars in all Adventure mode stages about 10 minutes ago. Feels good, man. :)

I think I'm starting to get Fusion a bit better, although admittedly the way of playing that I've had the most success with in that mode probably relies more on luck than actual skill.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The grind is real.

So I had 50,010 puyos popped, got 33 wins in Big Bang, & now my total is.....5,9990. Meaning 30+ wins & I got just under 10k.

....therefore, I'm probably gonna need to get around 120ish more wins in Big Bang to get the 100k puyos popped, earning the platinum.

Anybody have any tips for Fusion mode? Im on Act 7 in Adventure mode and I can't seem to figure this mode out. I managed to get to 7-6 but that was through pure luck haha.

BizzyBum

Anybody have any tips for Fusion mode? Im on Act 7 in Adventure mode and I can't seem to figure this mode out. I managed to get to 7-6 but that was through pure luck haha.

Oh god there's fusion stuff in story mode? I can't even get good at just Puyo chains.

Looks like I'm never finishing the story. lol

Fireblend

Banned
Made my first 10-chain today, thanks to my GTR training. It's... difficult to setup, but I'm making progress. Tons of practice with endless puyo mode.

javadoze

One thing is that chaining puyos is far more lax in fusion mode. As long as you pop separate puyo strings within a few seconds of each other, it'll count as a chain.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Going to practice for a bit. If anyone wants to get a lobby up and running, I'll play. I'd prefer Swap mode but am down for whatever.

7124-5226-8716

Is there really no invite option for Switch online play? Guess I'll just refresh this thread every few minutes. :/

I have no idea what quite a lot of the characters are even trying to say.

What is Ringo even saying? "Solved" or "SOLVED" really excited? Or "So" or what?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I thought I was pretty decent at Tetris. I held my own back in the day on Tetris DS. But holy fuck, I am just getting completely and utterly destryoed in this (PS4 version). What the fuck.

BizzyBum

I thought I was pretty decent at Tetris. I held my own back in the day on Tetris DS. But holy fuck, I am just getting completely and utterly destryoed in this (PS4 version). What the fuck.

I'm not even touching online.

I was watching Wumbo on twitch (10th best person in the world) play Tetris and dude was like a robot hard dropping every piece. I don't know how it's even possible to play and think that fast. I could have played Tetris for the past 30 years and not be that good.

I'm not even touching online.

I was watching Wumble (10th best person in the world) play Tetris and dude was like a robot hard dropping every piece. I don't know how it's even possible to play and think that fast. I could have played Tetris for the past 30 years and not be that good.
And then you watch the exhibition matches between him and amemiya, the current #1 Tetris player in Japan, and wumbo is a turtle in comparison

joker3782

Neo Member
Hey you guys got any tips for getting 3 stars on story missions that involve getting x amount of points? I'm on scene 2-3 and I'm struggling to get the 10000 points needed for the 3 stars because I keep beating the opponent early. I'm not a big fan of these score requirements for stars. I feel like it's going against how I should be playing the game.

S2

Hey you guys got any tips for getting 3 stars on story missions that involve getting x amount of points? I'm on scene 2-3 and I'm struggling to get the 10000 points needed for the 3 stars because I keep beating the opponent early. I'm not a big fan of these score requirements for stars. I feel like it's going against how I should be playing the game.

Just gotta work on that chaining. There aren't any 3 star requirements in Adventure Mode that require you to stall against the CPU if you know how to chain past 5 and do T-spins and stuff.

... Well, i think you do have to stall in stage 10-10 but that's just one out of 100.

zigg

Just gotta work on that chaining. There aren't any 3 star requirements in Adventure Mode that require you to stall against the CPU if you know how to chain past 5 and do T-spins and stuff.

... Well, i think you do have to stall in stage 10-10 but that's just one out of 100.
I had to stall slightly in 5-7 (Big Bang, Tetris vs Puyo), because if I hard-dropped everything, I beat my opponent in the first round before I reached the 3-star score.

So I soft-dropped most of the first round to slow myself down just enough to make it a two-round fight.

It's possible I wasn't getting pieces into place so I could hard drop them fast enough though.

Peru

As someone who had never played Puyo before this game (and really, no puzzle game seriously before), still just working on the basics step by step. Progress update: Moved from getting comfortable with stairs to slowly working on transitions. 5 chain stairs + 1 blocking chain now a relatively comfortable routine, going to polish it a bit before moving fully on to the second floor.

Enjoying the silly story mode too, although I'm a neanderthal when it comes to Tetris and not interesting in diving deep into it like with Puyo at the moment.

Top Bottom