• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puzzle & Dragons |OT| Pokemon + Bejeweled + Dungeon RPG on iOS/Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

xCobalt

And right on queue I bricked the expert sprite dungeon. I ran a mostly blue team and the board was almost entirely blue. Crashed through the first two round and was nowhere near Third Eye being charged.

How does everyone avoid clearing the first two round? I'm thinking I may want to take really under level characters to avoid one shotting everything.

Try to make matches near the top of the board so pieces don't collapse and create additional combos. You might get unlucky and new pieces might make a combo themselves.

J0dy77

Try to make matches near the top of the board so pieces don't collapse and create additional combos. You might get unlucky and new pieces might make a combo themselves.

Yeah, this is what happened on the failed run. And when you have blue unluckily match twice at the top and clear both rounds you're screwed. I'm trying to come up with the safest way possible to avoid a wipe. The masks dungeon is much easier due to the high defense on the first couple round of masks.

I did another run after my original post and brought two lilith along, I made it through by one round, was really close. Might focus on bringing an all dark team next time to see if that works better.

xCobalt

Yeah, this is what happened on the failed run. And when you have blue unluckily match twice at the top and clear both rounds you're screwed. I'm trying to come up with the safest way possible to avoid a wipe. The masks dungeon is much easier due to the high defense on the first couple round of masks.

I did another run after my original post and brought two lilith along, I made it through by one round, was really close. Might focus on bringing an all dark team next time to see if that works better.

You could try and use a team of dual element monsters. This strategy doesn't really require stalling, just good matching skills.

J0dy77

I've never had Shiva work for me on the Sprites. I've had better luck with bringing Dragons/Gods and running along with Indra/Vitra to double my HPs. Maybe bring along Enchida or a Rainbow Keeper to buy me some time on the last level.

I may try this strategy again.

You could try and use a team of dual element monsters. This strategy doesn't really require stalling, just good matching skills.

I've got the matching down and usually get through it, I'm just trying to rule out any possible chance of a wipe. I'm 2 for 3 on the day. Got a rainbow dub on the first run, wipe and crap on the 2nd and 3rd. Hate wasting 50 stamina.

StMeph

If I am hunting ONLY for 2x Sapphilits, what is the best way to get them, from a Stamina efficiency perspective?

I got a second Mermaid I'd like to evolve, but otherwise, I don't need anything else from that tier of materials. Seems like such a huge waste to go into Friday Dungeon and go for these low odds.

xCobalt

fycSywv.jpg

Got the required materials for the ultimate evolution just now. Has a rather slow growth rate but it'll replace my Chaos Devil Dragon. At max level, its ability will deal a lot of damage too.

MicH

Got the required materials for the ultimate evolution just now. Has a rather slow growth rate but it'll replace my Chaos Devil Dragon. At max level, its ability will deal a lot of damage too.
Nice! I hope the Legendary dragons return after the Skydragons

you just go with the 'hope I dont get hit' approach? I seemed to be failing mostly at that.

What levels are your Rippers at?
I run ADK, CDK, dark mech, CDD. This last slot I fill with echidna or Neptune depending on the boss. None of my subs are higher than level 35. Sometimes I bring a rainbow keeper just to ensure my health is above 10k in case I run into a divine mask. This has gotten me all the way to the last stage of tower to the sky, but now I'm stuck.
Nice! I hope the Legendary dragons return after the Skydragons
How hard are the legendary dragon dungeons?

J0dy77

If I am hunting ONLY for 2x Sapphilits, what is the best way to get them, from a Stamina efficiency perspective?

I got a second Mermaid I'd like to evolve, but otherwise, I don't need anything else from that tier of materials. Seems like such a huge waste to go into Friday Dungeon and go for these low odds.

I would say try the Friday dungeon. Or if you're specifically looking for blue you can wait for the "Dungeon of Water" to go on 1/2 stamina during the week and try then. Try a couple runs on the friday dungeon with 2x, you have a good shot of getting blue and a 33% chance at a mythlit.

Still going through experience overload that is making me indecisive over what to do.

GREEN: I saved up quite a few pedngras and had a pretty good run on the emerald dungeon yesterday. I went ahead and maxed out Odin (not evolving him yet because of the team cost) and got to Flowerdragon Brachys. I still have 4 kings, 3 highs, and 13 evolved pendgras so almost 1 mil in xp, plus I have enough emerald dragons to make 5 or 6 more pendgras. I don't have enough to max level Cu Chulainn though it would be close, or I can just pump Parvati the Golden Goddess, ADK, or Fertility Deity Evil Ceres.

RED: Much less to work with here. I just have 1 king, 1 high, and a couple of evolved pendgras, though I could get another 7 of those. I am closest to making a Jotunn but I could put it towards getting Phoenix Knight Homura or just level up Echidna the Red Empress.

DARK: I am hoping to have some luck in the metal dungeons today so I can keep working on Loki.

Any suggestions on any of this would be appreciated. Thanks!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
you just go with the 'hope I dont get hit' approach? I seemed to be failing mostly at that.

What levels are your Rippers at?

I use a black ripper (32), Echidna, CDK and black metal dragon. Echidna is necessary for me so I can get some breathing room if things don't go my way. CDK is great for generating uber combos, and my ADK is max-skilled so there's almost always some green available. I'm fine with getting hit, but when I do, I just need to combo some hearts to get it back up.

ToxicAdam

RED: Much less to work with here. I just have 1 king, 1 high, and a couple of evolved pendgras, though I could get another 7 of those. I am closest to making a Jotunn but I could put it towards getting Phoenix Knight Homura or just level up Echidna the Red Empress.

!

You're going to use your Echidna way more than your Phoenix Knight. Plus, his final evolve has a leader skill that is pretty underwhelming (unless it has been changed through the update).

StMeph

The biggest impediment now for me is XP.

I have evo materials ready. I have decent monsters for different teams, but they all need so much goddamn XP.

Healers: Great Valkyrie + Healer girls. All in the 40s. Needs XP

Fire: Freyr + swordsman + ripper + earlier Echidna. All need XP (...and a Titan)

Dragons: Dragon Knight at 61, therefore no Dragons team. Rippers only 4* in low 30s.

XP XP XP +_+

ToxicAdam

Yea, it can be a real grind. I just try to focus on one character and pour all my resources into it. Otherwise, I would feel like I am going nowhere.

A few weeks ago it was Hera, now I am doing it with Lakashimi (sp?). These Gods take forever to get them to high levels, but they are so worth it once you do.

xCobalt

I tend to spread out my xp rather than focusing one team (unless I'm prepping for a specific dungeon). I don't feel like I gain much from all the xp I spend on a monster just to level it up 3 or 4 times when I could level something weaker and get more out of it. Most of my monsters are around the 50s which I'm okay with..

Radav

Yea, it can be a real grind. I just try to focus on one character and pour all my resources into it. Otherwise, I would feel like I am going nowhere.

A few weeks ago it was Hera, now I am doing it with Lakashimi (sp?). These Gods take forever to get them to high levels, but they are so worth it once you do.

Yeah I've spent the last 3 weeks or so just dumping XP into the stuff I picked up at the last godfest and I've still got more gods to work on. 4 million XP is quite a grind.

StMeph

Yeah I've spent the last 3 weeks or so just dumping XP into the stuff I picked up at the last godfest and I've still got more gods to work on. 4 million XP is quite a grind.

It seems like all final evolutions and gods are at the 4 million XP tier.

ToxicAdam

Yea, it's a hard balancing act to figure out. I've spent all this time and effort in getting Odin/Hera/Lak up to high levels and have neglected quite a few things I could have used at certain times.

My Light/Dark Mech's being a few that come to mind. There were some times I really could have used a fully evolved one in a team that would have made my life easier. But they were just too underleveled to bring along. They are currently stuck in the mid-60's and I have used some of their evo mats on other pets.

IMO maxing out the gods is just not feasible without dropping coin (for stamina, etc) as it takes 53ish evo'd Pengdras to max out a 4mil curve.

I have both my gods in the 30-40 range now and thats ok for now. I'd rather spread out my resources and be more balanced.

You really need to compare stats and see if there really is THAT much of an improvement for all the xp needed

ParityBit

Its quite hard to resource management. Like I said earlier, I hit analysis paralysis. I know my Ammy needs levels to be like others, but sitting at 48, it will be a lot of resources to do. I have my rippers at around 30-40 each which is nice too.

But where to put my pendra's and kings, I know not.

Slottm

Neo Member
IMO maxing out the gods is just not feasible without dropping coin (for stamina, etc) as it takes 53ish evo'd Pengdras to max out a 4mil curve.

I have both my gods in the 30-40 range now and thats ok for now. I'd rather spread out my resources and be more balanced.

You really need to compare stats and see if there really is THAT much of an improvement for all the xp needed

There comes a time when you've gotten almost everything you need in order to be versatile to a certain point, and then you can focus on key monsters. You can also plan your stamina accordingly. I need max lvl evolved pengdras and thursday is the next day(Or lets say emerald dragons are the next day)? Get myself close to about 4000 to next level, save up all stam at that point, and do a TON of rounds of it that day since I'm forcing a level up to occur during those runs. Pengdras on off days - i've managed to level up about 7m worth of exp in 2 weeks with 0 stones spent using this method.

TimeKillr

53ish?

88 ish is more like it. 89 to max, 88 to be 40k away.

An evolved pengdra gives 45k xp to same color.

So I finally got my freaking Titan! He's in my "list of stuff to evolve next week" :) He'll very nicely round out my fire team!

J0dy77

Its quite hard to resource management. Like I said earlier, I hit analysis paralysis. I know my Ammy needs levels to be like others, but sitting at 48, it will be a lot of resources to do. I have my rippers at around 30-40 each which is nice too.

But where to put my pendra's and kings, I know not.

I wouldn't put any more levels into your rippers, they really do not scale well at all. Around level 30 seems to be the nice spot for them before other mobs really outscale them.

I think I'm going to add an advanced strategy section to the OP covering farmable utility monsters, busty evolutions, and various lategame team compositions. Asides from cleaning up outdated sections, is there anything else you guys would like in there to easily CTRL+F to? Mad knowledge bombs dropped in this thread in the past that ought to be enshrined forever? Witty tag lines for an OT2 that we can use to lure people over from the iOS thread when Godfest occurs tomorrow?

ToxicAdam

I think it's more important to evaluate what is going to be used more. For example, giving Hera 5 extra levels isn't going to mean much statistically, but it's going to be far more useful than spreading that same amount of exp over 7-8 dragons and knights you rarely use. That's not to say all Gods should be given this priority, but there are a select few that are going to be handy as team members in a number of ways.

Not to mention that many of these Gods see their stat increases accelerate as you get them to higher levels. So, the quicker you can get to that point, the better.

53ish?

88 ish is more like it. 89 to max, 88 to be 40k away.

An evolved pengdra gives 45k xp to same color.

So I finally got my freaking Titan! He's in my "list of stuff to evolve next week" :) He'll very nicely round out my fire team!

ahhh damn you;re right, thought it was 75k per Pengdra for whatever reason. Congrats on the Titan, been wanting one for a while.

Radav

Congrats! I've been after him the last two weekends with no luck. Easily 150+ runs of the last two levels of the Tower of Giants. I just actually got my first random boss drop which was a naga. I'd be way more excited if I didn't have a Red Empress already and 2 Nagas that I really don't know why I'm keeping them.

TimeKillr

Congrats! I've been after him the last two weekends with no luck. Easily 150+ runs of the last two levels of the Tower of Giants. I just actually got my first random boss drop which was a naga. I'd be way more excited if I didn't have a Red Empress already and 2 Nagas that I really don't know why I'm keeping them.

I got him to drop off the 4th floor, if that's any sort of help.

And 3 Red Empresses are very useful for specific teams... 2 are also good for Valkyrie teams.

Nista

I think I'm going to add an advanced strategy section to the OP covering farmable utility monsters, busty evolutions, and various lategame team compositions. Asides from cleaning up outdated sections, is there anything else you guys would like in there to easily CTRL+F to? Mad knowledge bombs dropped in this thread in the past that ought to be enshrined forever? Witty tag lines for an OT2 that we can use to lure people over from the iOS thread when Godfest occurs tomorrow?

It needs some basic FAQ stuff that some of my less hardcore friends have needed to be told like- Autohealing does not increase by number of combos, only heart healing; Order of killing monsters does not determine drops, how to properly refresh friends and put up the correct leader from your team choices, etc.

IMO that kind of stuff is best conveyed through video tutorial, of which unfortunately I can't do since my iPhone 4 doesn't support airplay mirroring. I just found a potential alternative, but I'll have to get back to you on that...

J0dy77

IMO that kind of stuff is best conveyed through video tutorial, of which unfortunately I can't do since my iPhone 4 doesn't support airplay mirroring. I just found a potential alternative, but I'll have to get back to you on that...

I was thinking about doing something like this. I found a program that could do it without paying. Would be beneficial for our thread and answer a lot of the repeat questions. Wednesday/Friday dungeons are the perfect example.

Puzzle & Dragons |OT|: Stupid Sexy Carbuncles

Keep at it, man. I finally scored mine last weekend, during my first run in ToG. 'Totally opened up the rest of my day. Scored it in "Wrath of the Giant", if that helps. I can't remember how many runs total I did before it dropped. If I had to ballpark, I'd say 40-50 runs.

razterik

Can we get some common strategies for the daily dungeons? People ask about them a lot and it would be easier to point them to the OP. Are we going to refresh the spreadsheet? Maybe should add a primary leader column, so people can see what you normally run?

Can we get some common strategies for the daily dungeons? People ask about them a lot and it would be easier to point them to the OP. Are we going to refresh the spreadsheet? Maybe should add a primary leader column, so people can see what you normally run?

Can't we just put 'ADK' in there and be good to go?

I kid, I kid.
no seriously....all ADK, all the time

suko_32

Can I ask someone to explain why Yomi is desired on certain Dark teams? I've had one for the longest time and was wondering if her skill was that useful.

Slottm

Neo Member
Can I ask someone to explain why Yomi is desired on certain Dark teams? I've had one for the longest time and was wondering if her skill was that useful.

Because its very easy to make an 8-10 combo utilizing a yomi at a minimum - this gives huge burst potential

J0dy77

I was doing some testing on my ipad with the Expert Sprite Dungeon. I really thought using a resolve / mono color team was a lot easier to clear then straight Shiva.

I took all under leveled characters for the fewest HP possible and an all blue team (siren and viper leaders). The Dublits have 10 total HP so with a mono team you only need to match 3 orbs in 2 rounds to wipe one. This gives you plenty of time to build up cooldowns, stack gem types and use resolve and heals to get back to full. I ran out of blue orbs towards the end but that was the only time i was in trouble.

I'm thinking an under leveled titan leader , low leveled red mobs (bonus for echidna) and shiva would be the ideal makeup for this to never be at risk. Going to try and put something together later and see how it works.

And in that oh so cruel twist of fate from PAD. I get 2 Dub-Mythlits in the one iPad run, need them so bad on my phone. lol

Caerith

Well, since people only use the OP when they're getting started, I'd focus more on team building and the first rare pull. Right now, you've got a list of specific monsters to keep, broken down into tiers of what's good vs what's okay, but now with 5.0 it's not really feasible to list every single decent pull. So, maybe make Team Building 101 go into more theory, common synergies, everyday builds vs situational builds (ie, resolve, zombie, Odin, Shiva/expert masks), so that way people can make a better judgement of what rare pulls are worth keeping vs rerolling? And also maybe a "don't be fooled" list of common "rare" pulls are actually garbage commons you can get from PAL (vampire).

I mean, everyday teams are mono- and duo-color taking advantage of their leader's skill (Indian, Greek, Norse, starting dragon), mono-type synergies (valkyrie/healer, ADK/dragons), and Egyptian rainbow teams, right? Any of those is essentially prepped for end game, with modifications. More situational, but still commonly-used, are resolve/Odin-- but I'd only keep a resolve leader from the rare machine if it wasn't an ogre or titan (which are relatively common). So once you explain how those work, then people will know what to look for-- leaders with synergy, or orb changers (but not the common ones), or evolved auto-healers, or occasionally resolve if it's from orochi-- and figure out what they can work into a team.

MicH

I'm 3/4 on Skydragon of Water so far. Only 1 skill up though. Don't think I can max skill it before it disappear :/

I was doing some testing on my ipad with the Expert Sprite Dungeon. I really thought using a resolve / mono color team was a lot easier to clear then straight Shiva.

I took all under leveled characters for the fewest HP possible and an all blue team (siren and viper leaders). The Dublits have 10 total HP so with a mono team you only need to match 3 orbs in 2 rounds to wipe one. This gives you plenty of time to build up cooldowns, stack gem types and use resolve and heals to get back to full. I ran out of blue orbs towards the end but that was the only time i was in trouble.

I'm thinking an under leveled titan leader , low leveled red mobs (bonus for echidna) and shiva would be the ideal makeup for this to never be at risk. Going to try and put something together later and see how it works.

And in that oh so cruel twist of fate from PAD. I get 2 Dub-Mythlits in the one iPad run, need them so bad on my phone. lol

If you're talking about the most ideal setup for the mask/dublit dungeons, then it'd be any team that can pierce their defense.

I'm not quite there yet, but my Shiva Team can tank all the hits, and eventually Shiva's leaderskill comes into play. When I was lower ranked, my fail-safe team was a red ogre as leader, a bunch of extra lil reds/starter dragons, and either a shiva or siren switched up between sub member or helper leader. 1st round = stall for shiva skill. If things went to crap with a bad pop, or crazy chain reaction, ogre saves with resolve, and siren provides health/heart orbs. If things go okay with Shiva's skill, you just make a red orb match. If for whatever reason, you don't have orbs to match, then you pop off lil/starter dragons skills.

Ashodin

Damn, I have three light dragons ready to evolve, and I need Rainbow Keepers out the ass. I have kept on trying the dungeon, but the dark keeper before Rainbow fucks me up. I need some sort of half damage from dark type or something.

Caerith

Damn, I have three light dragons ready to evolve, and I need Rainbow Keepers out the ass. I have kept on trying the dungeon, but the dark keeper before Rainbow fucks me up. I need some sort of half damage from dark type or something.
Good news: Keeper of Dark's damage has been nerfed to 3k.

Bad news: Keeper of Rainbow still hits for 22k.

Odin + Healer girl (like Siren)

22k goes down to 4400, and he does not attack each turn. I believe their HP has gone down in 5.0 as well.

Kind of like Mystic Masks, I could use a bunch of Dub-Mythlits today. I have done the dungeon about 8 times and I have had exactly 1 drop. Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom