• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puzzle & Dragons |OT4| Co-op Edition: Stoning With Friends

Lyrian

Maybe I'm unlucky, but I have been averaging 2-3 per run with some zero ones. It still seems to work out well stamina wise and I have nothing better to do right now. But it is slow.

RNG is being a pain in the arse.

I've had as many 4 and 5 runs and I've had 1 and 2 runs now. Most of the time, it depends if the server doesn't decide that only 2 floors per run are going to actually drop an egg at a chance for a plus.

b33r

RNG is being a pain in the arse.

I've had as many 4 and 5 runs and I've had 1 and 2 runs now. Most of the time, it depends if the server doesn't decide that only 2 floors per run are going to actually drop an egg at a chance for a plus.

Yeah, I don't mind running it because it's ok exp and decent plus eggs per stamina. I can watch tv and only have to pay attention to the last floor. I feed the fodder to cards I will deal with later, actually kind of like it.

yami4ct

Farming Squids for Christmas Genie skillups since Mugcorn drops seem to be super duper damn rare. It's good to be reminded just how garbage skillup farming used to be. Damn. Just the worst.

Now that elemental inheritance is a thing and the Elementals are actually useful, GungHo should either give them new ults with a lower skill up skill or give them much easier to farm mats. This is painful.

Bladelaw

So if you have a team capable of soloing the challenges and have a friend or alt account at least rank 150 you can technically solo the challenge dungeons.

Info from reddit (I haven't personally verified because work):

Start a room with your main account
Join with the alt/friend account
Start dungeon
Friend/alt drops out
Continue solo

C9 and C10 will still be hard as balls. If I can't get in a room I plan on stoning for the Badpy. It's pretty much the only way I'll get A. Panda max skilled.

I'm hoping the feedback from this challenge actually means something to GungHo but I doubt it.

On that note If anyone was planning on running C9/C10 late tonight US/East I'd be interested. I have most leads in the popular meta but my Dark box is strongest (A. Panda, AALuci, Yomidra) I'm worried Ra Dragon won't be controllable enough for Vishnu.

Kreed

Gungho should do co-op like Dragon Ace, where there's options to play with friends only in addition to random people. Example, you go into a dungeon and the game finds other players trying to enter the same dungeon and pairs you up with them. If it doesn't find anyone, the game starts with you playing solo (in the case of Dragon Ace, you play with CPUs) with the option of other people being able to jump in at later floors up until the final floor where it stops looking for other players (in Dragon Ace if you jump in at a later floor, you use up less stamina than if you started at the beginning floor). Obviously Dragon Ace is more multiplayer focused than Puzzle and Dragons, but a random player join option would make these multiplayer changes much more acceptable for people who like to just play this game when ever they have time to play it.

jay23

"Find a friends room" option seems to never work. They make challenge dungeons strictly coop but they don't have a good system in place. So now we have to download and use a 3rd party app just to find someone. Thankfully the reddit discord channel is active and you can usually find someone fast.

smbu2000

Are you sure the co-op challenge dungeons are co-op only?
I remember when they first came out with them in JP I thought they would be co-op only as they had the big co-op label on them, but they showed up in the regular special section as well so you could do them solo just fine.

I usually solo myself until lvl8 and then do 9/10 multi to make it easier.

There were one or two that only showed up in the co-op tab in JP, but when those dungeons ran you could still choose to solo while in co-op mode. We get the darkest timeline

Bladelaw

Are you sure the co-op challenge dungeons are co-op only?
I remember when they first came out with them in JP I thought they would be co-op only as they had the big co-op label on them, but they showed up in the regular special section as well so you could do them solo just fine.

I usually solo myself until lvl8 and then do 9/10 multi to make it easier.

Yep, you won't see them in the "Special" tab, only in the Multiplayer tab after you create a room. Based on what others have said we're getting the challenge "early" which is before all dungeons become co-op enabled on the NA client. In JP you could run them either way since everything was open to everyone.

bjork

So I finally ran across a dude that had the Puzzle & Dragons character in Crows X Worst. He's in the lower right above the skip button

H3PozQO.jpg

So silly, hah

Heh. Over 3 years playing this game and just got this little guy for the first time.

May seem cheesy, but it gave me a rush of nostalgia from when I first started playing this game, and how the game has progressed to where it is now.

I'm looking at the new multi-challenge dungeons. I have 298 friends, and only 3 are playing multi right now. Yeah. I think this is a good time to say farewell for now. I've actually been feeling the burnout and contemplating it for a little while now, so this is just the final affirming excuse. Won't say forever, because you never know. But if I'm gone long enough then I'm sure my currently impressive box (around $6000 worth) will be powercreeped to hell anyway.

It's been fun PADGAF. You're a great community. I may lurk and post in here once in a while. Or not. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

smbu2000

There were one or two that only showed up in the co-op tab in JP, but when those dungeons ran you could still choose to solo while in co-op mode. We get the darkest timeline

Oh, yeah I forgot about when that. When the challenge dungeons were only in the multi tab. I would always forgot to try them for a few days because I didn't recognize that they were only in the multi tab. Yeah, we could still do solo then so it wasn't really a problem.

I am liking how they've made the multi dungeons at half stamina. Unlike other games like Monsto where only 1 player needs to use stamina for co-op PAD required both players to use the full cost of the stamina for most of the dungeons in multi. Requiring only half for each sort of mitigates that cost and doesn't put it all on one player.

I guess the rogue dungeons aren't always available now in multi. At least they let you clear it again for another stone. I went through both levels of Nordis in multi with my YD teams for an easy stone on each.

Edit: oh yeah pulled once more on my iPad and picked up Mituhashi & Ito. At first I thought they were worthless, but they could actually be a nice addition to my DMeta team. Being able to knock my HP down to 1 and getting a 1.5x ATK boost for Physical/Attackers is nice at only 3 turns. A lack of SBR and SB hurts them, but the rest of my team has SBR to keep me at 100% and DMeta has 3 SBs to compensate a bit for their lack of them.

razterik

It's been fun PADGAF. You're a great community. I may lurk and post in here once in a while. Or not. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I'm barely hanging on myself, so I get this. Kind of just logging in for 1000 days on my JP account and maybe see what the fourth "gentleman" is, although I haven't been interested in anything since Xiang Mei. Game has gotten really stale and the co-op isn't a real solution for me.

It's been a pretty great thread the last three years. Enjoy your freedom!

(Pst, the Granblue Fantasy thread is thataway if you're interested.)

I guess the rogue dungeons aren't always available now in multi. At least they let you clear it again for another stone. I went through both levels of Nordis in multi with my YD teams for an easy stone on each.

Of course, can't have everyone freely farming ludicrous amounts of half stamina MP anymore. But hey, 4 stamina plus eggs and much cheaper latents/exp dragons/piis instead.

I honestly prefer having one player foot the stamina cost like most other co-op games that I've played, but I think this choice was the best GungHo could come up with given their game isn't built for all the multiplayer they keep grafting on. PAD showing it's age lately.

hermit7

See you George!

Seems like a lot of the players are beginning to experience some burnout, I guess after a few years it makes sense they can only change so much.

It's pretty impressive they kept my interest for 3+ years to say the least. Personally, I've been on a job hunt recently so I haven't been able to sink a lot of time into PAD. If I'm successful I'll give away or quit at least one of my accounts.

Yeah, I'm still playing but all I'm doing is hyper maxing my teams at this point, since the only thing I haven't beaten is Arena. Nothing else to do, nothing to look forward to, power creep has only been a band-aid to Ra chicken solving the game. Hopefully they figure something out because, man, it's been boring in pad.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Tried out the multiplayer for the first time today and it was a really fun experience - regular Pad is quite boring compared to the multiplayer "thrill". Challenge stages 1-8 cleared with Forgrim - 9-10 look crazy so we wont even try them but then again the last couple solo Challenges have also been nuts at the end.

Casual Pad is fun....tougher content and the BS mechanics arent. Still waiting on U&Y Awoken version though - cant stop before that.

Yeah I haven't done anything but log in for the last few weeks. I've been wrapped up in Dark Souls 3. I may jump back into PAD once I've had my fill of this game, but I that'll probably be awhile.

smbu2000

Wow, there are some pretty interesting teams that people can use in PAD.

Dacho - Machine Zeus clear
He plays multi in this one with an A.Ra/Yomi/Amon/New Years Tengu/Gunma team. His other team his A.Ra/Tengu/Naga x 3 (this team is missing water so you can't activate A.Ra's skill)

One A.Ra has 30% Gravity, Amon has Carat's skill, Tengu has LKali's skill, Gunma has Indra's skill.

His explanation is at the beginning and he actually starts playing at about the 5 minute mark.

J0dy77

Heh. Over 3 years playing this game and just got this little guy for the first time.

May seem cheesy, but it gave me a rush of nostalgia from when I first started playing this game, and how the game has progressed to where it is now.

I'm looking at the new multi-challenge dungeons. I have 298 friends, and only 3 are playing multi right now. Yeah. I think this is a good time to say farewell for now. I've actually been feeling the burnout and contemplating it for a little while now, so this is just the final affirming excuse. Won't say forever, because you never know. But if I'm gone long enough then I'm sure my currently impressive box (around $6000 worth) will be powercreeped to hell anyway.

Saw your retired tag in game and had to come post. Sorry to see you go George, you'll be missed around here.

I'm not feeling the same burnout as others yet but if everyone from this community starts dropping that might do it for me. I haven't been playing much at all this week with the non event. I was letting stamina cap which I never do and left it there for a day. I feel like I've played too long to quit now but interest is waning.

Quantum

Yeah I haven't done anything but log in for the last few weeks. I've been wrapped up in Dark Souls 3. I may jump back into PAD once I've had my fill of this game, but I that'll probably be awhile.

this.

I'm out of usa for a bit and not able to take a machine powerful enough to play, I just made it to the archives and really am liking it - a little worried that I'll never finish since I'm putting down the controller for more than a week.

smbu2000

Well I pulled on the new GF. Didn't really get much on my iPad; Michael (dupe) and Creuse. Why is the Physical enhance character dark? I don't think there are too many dark physical characters. Physical seems like it would be better with water characters...

Did much better on my main account. I picked up Sherias. My first time getting him. A bit surprised that his skill is the same as LKali's except with a haste as well. Not sure if I'll use him since I have 3 LKalis and 1 Halloween Kali.

I also picked up the new dark carnival exclusive character, Nobunaga. His profile doesn't seem to be on PADX at the moment, so I'll just post the pic from the official site.
Seems pretty useful as a 6 star character and can be uevo'd just like that. His awakenings are pretty useful although he doesn't have any skill boosts. His skill is to create 6 random dark orbs and bind heal 2 turns.

His leader skill is Devil types have ATK 3x and RCV 1.5x. Connecting 8 dark orbs or more gives you 2x attack.

Seems like he could fit alright with an A.Pandora friend or as a sub on her team with his devil/dragon typing. Pretty happy to have him. He'll be my next 297. I'm almost finished with my Sinbad, just need HP plus eggs.

yami4ct

I also picked up the new dark carnival exclusive character, Nobunaga. His profile doesn't seem to be on PADX at the moment, so I'll just post the pic from the official site.

Seems pretty useful as a 6 star character and can be uevo'd just like that. His awakenings are pretty useful although he doesn't have any skill boosts. His skill is to create 6 random dark orbs and bind heal 2 turns.

His leader skill is Devil types have ATK 3x and RCV 1.5x. Connecting 8 dark orbs or more gives you 2x attack.

Seems like he could fit alright with an A.Pandora friend or as a sub on her team with his devil/dragon typing. Pretty happy to have him. He'll be my next 297. I'm almost finished with my Sinbad, just need HP plus eggs.

Jealous as hell. Nobu is just the situational sub A. Panda was begging for. I don't know who drops to put him in, but he's definitely hyper desirable.

Ducarmel

I also picked up the new dark carnival exclusive character, Nobunaga.

Congrats, I really want that card along with Zouh for my A Panda on my jp account. Must be stupid rare to pull Nobu, 6* dark gala exclusive. Why are devil clerics so rare, Aamir will have to do for now.

Well after taking a couple years off from this game, I got sucked back in and started a new account.

First pull was Horus, so I'm pretty pumped about that. Still learning all the new mechanics and stuff, but I have some space if anyone wants to add.

Boss@GAF : 385,806,479

Glad to be back!

Bladelaw

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to skip out on this series of challenges in protest of forced multiplayer or not. I understand from a logistics stand point it's because we haven't had the update that makes everything single or multiplayer but from an end user perspective solo players are still getting the shaft.

While I wait on the sidelines I've been trying to farm up materials for a Sonia Gran/Reverse team. The goal is a rainbow team loaded with farmable (technically) dragons. Gran, Gainaut, Linthia, Volsung, <something>,Gran Reverse(or flip the leaders). Nordis would fit the theme and his active is useful on the team but his awakenings aren't all that helpful. If I was going for REM this would be easy, slot in D Kali and call it a day. Ideally a cleric would be used. Are there any farmable bind clearing dragons? A quick Padx search shows nothing useful. All bind clearers (awakening) are either REM or garbage, I can't find an easy way to search actives. I mean I could run without one just to fit the team but I want it to at least be able to clear some of the interesting descends. Plus it has a bunch of Multiplayer boost awakenings so that could come into play someday.

I'm waiting till sunday for +egg farming.

I'm about to finally get my first awoken in a bit later today. Just need to get stamina back, then get two dub-rubylits from the friday dungeon and I'll be good to get Awoken Susano. Can't wait.

linsivvi

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to skip out on this series of challenges in protest of forced multiplayer or not. I understand from a logistics stand point it's because we haven't had the update that makes everything single or multiplayer but from an end user perspective solo players are still getting the shaft.

I am skipping this challenge, not to protest but i can live with missing out a couple multiplayer only challenges.

I am gonna spend all my stamina on descended carnival instead. 500 mp for 50 stamina is just too good to pass up. I might save some hp plus eggs to fix the imbalance though.

Lyrian

I'm a bit conflicted to say the least.

A strong part of the appeal of PAD is that traditionally, it is a game of skill. Yes, there is the requirement that you need ideal gacha cards to beat the hardest content. However, at the end of the day, the player needs to be skilled to manipulate boards and activate difficult leader skills.

The problem here is that the internal core meta has really shifted over time, since Juggler and engraved in stone once the MP shop and dragons were released.

In a world of ultra rare gala exclusives (gemstone princesses and war heros) and waves of 300k MP points that only whales can obtain (realistically; the average casual will never grind out that many MPs), the core objective of the game has shifted to be similar to other Japanese gatchas where "progress" is obtained by rolling limited-time cards with sub-1% roll rates.

Power creep via Awokens has reached a point where a reasonably competent player can clear most decends (barring rogues and ultra-hard mythicals) with relative ease and safety. Plus eggs events of some kind are available practically daily, creating the expectation that hypermax teams should be the norm. Monster Points are becoming more common to obtain via events (such as 10x MP Descends) and should accelerate further moving forward (the largest reward PreDra lists as a "medium" payout). Latents and tamadras are generally farmable. With Arena 1 becoming a permanent technical, piis will become much easier to obtain outside of an event on a regular basis (even more so as time passes). Even tans for skill inheritance are easy to obtain.

So... what is really left? Right now, the only real objective seems to be obtain MP cards. High-tier content seems to really demand the MP dragons (and perhaps the Four Gentleman series moving forward). It is debatable when GungHo will start recycling existing pantheon gods for their next evolutions to catch up with current content. Also debatable, is how close the next evolutions of cards GungHo will allow to approach the power of 300k MP cards. Logic would suggest that there should always be significant power gap between a 5-stone pantheon god and a 300-stone MP card.

And then, there's the whole "forced" multiplayer issue. One has to wonder if the whole Facebook thing is not working out for them anymore and is looking at other social engagement techniques, or if GungHo has hit a hard wall where making single player content any harder is pretty much all-but-impossible (mobs hitting for 30k or 100k does not matter if the net result is still instadeath; the content is not any "harder").

I'm enjoying my recent power upgrade via Sylvie and Gonia combinations. But, where is the fun in the game long-term when the crux of the game shifts from "get gud" to "whale harder" to progress because everything else for the last three years (4 in JP) is now trivial, a la being in the 10th expansion of an MMO?

hermit7

Maybe through the use of actual puzzles that can be put into the game.

Lakshmi is a great example here. Her spawning jammer and making you clear them is fun. It also doesn't depend on the team you have built.

This should be a mechanic that they can build around, it just seems that they don't really want that to happen.

smbu2000

I didn't know that you could do coin dungeons in multi now too. I bought Sowilo on my iPad and then did it on multi with both of my accounts. That makes it only cost 25 stamina as well. Nice.

edit: So I've been running Sowilo with both of my accounts and Ceres was being a pain with her dark absorb. At first I used my YD team, but I wasn't having success against her (was taking too long.) Then I switched over to A.Ra since I have him on both, but that was still taking too long.

I switched back over to YD and subbed in Ushio and Tora over Castor and that worked out very nicely. I used Apocalypse's Final Judgement (Light/Dark/Hearts skill on my YD) and then Ushio Tora's skill (Hearts/Poison to Light and 3 turn bind clear) to make a predominantly Light/few Dark board. He's not a god type, but he has a devil killer awakening and the YDs and Eschamali all have light as a sub attribute make it easy to take her out.
Jealous as hell. Nobu is just the situational sub A. Panda was begging for. I don't know who drops to put him in, but he's definitely hyper desirable.

Congrats, I really want that card along with Zouh for my A Panda on my jp account. Must be stupid rare to pull Nobu, 6* dark gala exclusive. Why are devil clerics so rare, Aamir will have to do for now.
Thanks. TBH I didn't even know who he was. At first I thought there was just a new GFE that I hadn't noticed yet. I had looked at the new carnival additions page, but I only looked at Napoleon. I didn't know there was a dark addition too. I was lucky to pull him on only 3 pulls. (dupe Verd., that Sherias and him)

Should be able to scrape enough enough stones for at least 1-2 more pulls on in the 2nd half of the GF. Hope I get something good.

Now I wish I had 297'd my A.Panda. My "devil" team has basically been my Sephiroth team lately. I guess this gives me a good reason to change my Persephone over from D/G to something else since I haven't used her on my YD team lately. I think I'll go for Awoken Persephone. She's already hyper so I'll just have to skill her up again after changing her. Better than letting her languish in my box unused.

I didn't know the dogs dropped in the carnivals now

Should be the fastest way to skill up akechi whenever dark carnival comes back.
I think that's only for Blue and Green. The others aren't in the carnival yet.

Looks like Gungho America is determined to make pal points useless by always skipping enhanced carnival.
Still potentially useful if you can luck into the evo mats you need. Picked up 2 red fruits today so that's a lot less Trifruit roulette for me. With all the descend drops I need to evolve for awoken evos, there's still a variety of random evo mats that I can use.

Lyrian

I didn't know the dogs dropped in the carnivals now

Should be the fastest way to skill up akechi whenever dark carnival comes back.

Dark and Red dogs are still missing from the carnival drop lists. Given how popular Dark is as a color, I'm surprised other colors were voted in first over on the JP server.

jay23

I think that's only for Blue and Green. The others aren't in the carnival yet.

Dark and Red dogs are still missing from the carnival drop lists. Given how popular Dark is as a color, I'm surprised other colors were voted in first over on the JP server.

Thanks for the correction guys hopefully dark gets added soon because the current option for akechi skill ups is terrible.

Well said

I don't see why we can't have multiplayer and solo content. They can just scale the difficulty up if you're running it with another person.

Does everyone else think the addition of MP cards has had a negative impact on the game?

MiTYH

Me: I'll do ONE pull, but I won't like it
*pulls Bastet*

.... hunh. Well played, PAD, well played. Time to make a team!

b33r

Me: I'll do ONE pull, but I won't like it
*pulls Bastet*

.... hunh. Well played, PAD, well played. Time to make a team!

I finally pulled Bastet as well, my two vishnus will finally get some use. Guess I have to awaken susano and meimei as well. Gives me something to do though.

ccbfan

Wtf, I cant do multi player dungeons solo anymore and the entire challenge set is multi player?

Is this a one time event of is this the direction the game is going?

unrealist

I have an account (unplayed) and managed to collect 550 stones over the past 2 years .. is it enough to get me a MP monster and some good subs?

Wtf, I cant do multi player dungeons solo anymore and the entire challenge set is multi player?

Is this a one time event of is this the direction the game is going?

It is a consequence of this challenge set being released in JP at a time when you could still play multiplayer dungeons solo. Later ones will be available in both tabs.

Although, the Lv8/9/10 versions are difficult/almost impossible to clear solo. You might not be okay with that

Top Bottom