• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break |OT| We'll Be Right Back After This Commercial Break

Couldn't wait around for Microsoft to send me my PC code so I just booted up my Xbox and played a good hour.

Awesome awesome awesome. The gunplay is some good ass punchy Remedy shit, the sound design is on some DICE caliber, and all the time travel hijinx seem brilliant.

P-A-U-L S-E-R-E-N-E

I love it when you hear Little Finger come out now and again in his delivery.

Hawk269

It's a sad day when the PC performance thread is getting more hits than than the OT. :/

Anyways, just about done installing. Probably will play a chapter a night like Alan Wake, not to rush the game and take in the scenery. Almost Time!
I am also a PC gamer and it kind of sucks the condition that the pc version is in, with that said it is not worse than the Xbox one version which is sad because it is playable and in some area performs and looks better than the Xbox one version. I know some pc gamers that unless they cannot.crank things up or turn off certain effects they freak out. Wish some would just olay the game instead I nothing about it or the delivery platform it is on.

Yes things need to be fixed and improved to take more advantage of our various rigs capabilities but the game is still playable and the game works and most importantly it is a great game.

aravuus

The Quantum Break doesn't have a quit option thread got more hits than the OT

Just shows people enjoy the thought of the game being broken than actually playing it

Most people in the PC performance thread are genuinely disappointed at the port, but whatever

I hope this isn't a one off by Remedy. This is one really my favorite concept they've come up with, and I'd like to see it evolve in later iterations.

After finishing Act 2, my opinion on the gameplay has changed. I do not feel it lacking anymore, combining the powers to cause all the destruction is just too much fun. The only issue I have now is the episodes. They just feel so out of place to me, I dunno how else to put it. Narrative wise it's getting even more intriguing. Couldn't put this game down last night.

Jarmel

Banned
I think I just finished Act 3 and I have to say I'm not really feeling the story, it has some interesting ideas but the actual writing is off. I especially dislike the amount of narration that goes over everything, we've got Jack's internal thoughts, his future discussions with whoever is interrogating him, and whoever he happens to be talking to in real time usually over an ear-piece all going on at once. Like, can I just play and figure shit out on my own?

I love that so much. It fits perfectly into the time travel theme by having a non-linear storytelling aspect.

ViciousDS

Banned
I'm torn

I don't know whether or not to make monarch assholes kill everyone or manipulate the public. On one hand I'm attached to little finger and actually think he has a huge reason for what he's doing on another Jack is the man.....the protagonist and I don't want to fuck him over.

What the heck did everyone choose

In the act 1 junction

PR or Hard-line?

derFeef

Nick is great, he's like the Barry of QB.
Loving it so far and even though I explore every corner I still miss some stuff, hah.

This is a true Remedy game, I somehow was starting to doubt it but actually starting and playing the game now... I feel like home.

Alan Wake is still my Number 1 Remedy franchise

Love the narration.

Mufc1427

I'm torn

I don't know whether or not to make monarch assholes kill everyone or manipulate the public. On one hand I'm attached to little finger and actually think he has a huge reason for what he's doing on another Jack is the man.....the protagonist and I don't want to fuck him over.

Most people choose PR.

Epcott

Weird... I preordered QB on my Xbox One and was emailed the code for Alan Wake American Nightmare, but not Alan Wake. When I go to the store to see Alan Wake, it says $19.99. I thought I'd receive both games for the preorder? Not to be greedy lol, I would rather play the first before the second is all.

As far as gameplay, I reaaaaaally don't like automatic cover. I see how they want it less mechanical and more intuitive, but sometimes it just doesn't work and I find myself still being shot. Also, the double tapping of shoulder buttons is really awkward. There was also a strange graphic haze/artifact around the MC's head in the first chapter. Maybe I was seeing things.

Interesting game so far. Love the fractured look of distorted time.

Ibuki

Banned
Weird... I preordered QB on my Xbox One and was emailed the code for Alan Wake American Nightmare, but not Alan Wake. When I go to the store to see Alan Wake, it says $19.99. I thought I'd receive both games for the preorder? Not to be greedy lol, I would rather play the first before the second is all.

As far as gameplay, I reaaaaaally don't like automatic cover. I see how they want it less mechanical and more intuitive, but sometimes it just doesn't work and I find myself still being shot. Also, the double tapping of shoulder buttons is really awkward. There was also a strange graphic haze/artifact around the MC's head in the first chapter. Maybe I was seeing things.

You got the codes via email or Xbox message

shandy706

Crap!!

Did I just lose something???!?!?!*

I had 2 notifications/messages from MS. I went to highlight them and I think I accidently cleared my messages...I freaking clicked the wrong thing. Please tell me I didn't just delete my PC copy or AW codes.

So my preface is that Remedy is my favorite game company and MP 1, 2 and Alan Wake are my three favorite games.

With that said, I quite like Quantum Break so far, but there are a few little things I don't like. As mentioned in here before, the emails are way too goddamn long and not all that interestingly written. Alan Wake's manuscript pages were easily digestible and informed the player of what other characters were doing, just like these e-mails.

The gunplay is great, but I'm on act 2 scene 3 and I just feel like I'm not getting enough combat. I don't know if I'm alone here but I feel like I'm constantly itching to get more people to shoot and the game just isn't throwing enough at me. Also I generally don't like "sponge enemies" and this game throws them at you quite often (that is when there is combat).

Still great so far, just isn't hooking me right off the bat as much as Alan Wake did.

Justinh

I'm torn

In the act 1 junction

PR or Hard-line?

End of Act 1 spoilers:

I chose PR the first time, because I didn't want anyone getting hurt. I chose Hardline as I started the game over on hard because I want my bad guys to be assholes. I think I'm going to stick with it, but I'm only like halfway through Act 2.

Currently Mid-way through Act 2 -:
The thing I really want to happen is I want the ability to punch computer guy in the face. Computer guy... I don't like computer guy.

Also, guys do you have auto-aim on? I usually turn it off if I can in shooters because I feel like I'm losing control with them on, but I'm finding it... weird to aim in this game. Is the auto-aim in this game "excessive?"

robotrock

Banned
I set the difficulty to hard after some impressions in this thread.

I hope i don't regret this, since there's no way to turn it back down.

Jarmel

Banned
The gunplay is great, but I'm on act 2 scene 3 and I just feel like I'm not getting enough combat. I don't know if I'm alone here but I feel like I'm constantly itching to get more people to shoot and the game just isn't throwing enough at me. Also I generally don't like "sponge enemies" and this game throws them at you quite often (that is when there is combat).

The action ramps up in the later parts of Act 3. The last battle in Act 2 is pretty great too with the Chrono users dashing everywhere.

I hope i don't regret this, since there's no way to turn it back down.
Yes there is. Just go to the timeline and select whichever difficulty. You just have to go back to the main menu. You're not locked in.

Ibuki

Banned
The action ramps up in the later parts of Act 3. The last battle in Act 2 is pretty great too with the Chrono users dashing everywhere.

Yes there is. Just go to the timeline and select whichever difficulty. You just have to go back to the main menu. You're not locked in.

That's hilarious, I wanted to drop down to normal so I started the game over last night. It sucked going through the intro again but I was only like an hour in...

Kent

Crap!!

Did I just lose something???!?!?!*

I had 2 notifications/messages from MS. I went to highlight them and I think I accidently cleared my messages...I freaking clicked the wrong thing. Please tell me I didn't just delete my PC copy or AW codes.

PC codes for pre-orders will be emailed to you, from what I've read.

The codes for American Nightmare are sent via Xbox Live messages, and as far as I know, the Alan Wake codes haven't gone out yet.

If you deleted the message thread from Xbox Live... You probably want to contact support, after double-checking on Xbox.com and such.

derFeef

Also the game looks very great overall besides the ghosting. It can fall apart at times, especially indoors when there is bright light, but when all comes together it's just awesome looking.

Jarmel

Banned
That's hilarious, I wanted to drop down to normal so I started the game over last night. It sucked going through the intro again but I was only like an hour in...

I think you have to restart the level so in your case it would have been a wash, but that's it.

failgubbe

I'm torn

In the act 1 junction

PR or Hard-line?

Hardline is the best choice man.

You have to become Paul and my reason is that because Jack is the only one who can really stop him it would be hella dumb to give him a lot of info when the only real downside of that is a conspiracy that Monarch killed witnesses pretty much

derFeef

Hardline is the best choice man.

You have to become Paul and my reason is that because Jack is the only one who can really stop him it would be hella dumb to give him a lot of info when the only real downside of that is a conspiracy that Monarch killed witnesses pretty much

Also you get
to have Nick opening doors for you. NICK!

styl3s

Question for X1 Disc owners, do i need to go ahead and queue up that video download or will it automatically download/install the game/video stuff from disc? Cause when i popped the disc in it just asked for a 4GB update and nothing about the like 70 gigs of video.

Crumbtiny

Do you get both games for pre-ordering on XB1 store? I thought so too, but I was only sent a code for American Nightmare as well.

Ibuki

Banned
I think you have to restart the level so in your case it would have been a wash, but that's it.

Thanks for the info, that is very helpful. I would like to play Hard but I couldn't manage on the first few sets of enemies... Too much of a scrub. :(

Gowans

Played the start of this, love the feel of the story, it looks so good too.

Must sleep now. Hope I get my PC code soon too

I love that so much. It fits perfectly into the time travel theme by having a non-linear storytelling aspect.

Look, time is fucked. (It is not that hard to follow, really loving it.)

I didn't say it was hard to follow or that a non-linear story couldn't be done I said that the amount of voice over narration is too much especially when the characters are spouting obvious things you've already noticed. I don't need three different voice overs happening in succession to tell me the same thing.

That said, I've just finished Act 4 and the story has finally started to get really good and interesting as the full implications of time travel are touched upon.

EvB

Question for X1 Disc owners, do i need to go ahead and queue up that video download or will it automatically download/install the game/video stuff from disc? Cause when i popped the disc in it just asked for a 4GB update and nothing about the like 70 gigs of video.

The 75gig video is 100% optional. You have to install it from the manage game screen.
If you don't , then it will simply be streamed in as required

RyudBoy

Playing on XB1. The streaming service keeps getting interrupted for the live TV episode, so here I am downloading all 75gbs. :/

mocoworm

How do you qualify for the 360 games? I bought my copy digital from CDKeys.com. Do you only get them from ordering off MS direct?

Someone said that you get them just by playing the game, but I haven't had them yet if that is the case.

styl3s

The 75gig video is 100% optional. You have to install it from the manage game screen.
If you don't , then it will simply be streamed in as required
Is the streamed video heavily compressed or is it good? I'll go with the stream option if it's the same thing cause i am always connected when i play anyways.

Hawk269

The 4gb is the patch. Once the game loads it gives you the option to download the videos if you want. If you don't download them when it is time for them to play they get streamed. So if you get quality stream form netflix it should be about the same.

EvB

Is the streamed video heavily compressed or is it good? I'll go with the stream option if it's the same thing cause i am always connected when i play anyways.

No idea, but my experiences with Halo 4/5 and its streamed stuff were good enough

jesu

Just finished Episode 2.
I'm glad they went down this TV show route, this is much better than watching cutscenes!

Top Bottom