• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiant Silvergun |OT| Ikaruga's Spiritual Predecessor

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
So, unless I'm missing something or it's just not available until later, you get NO CONTINUES in Story Mode (Saturn Mode) period. No adjustable lives count or extend setting either. You still have the option of having weapon EXP carry over to a new playthrough though.

It's been a while since I played the original. I think I remember that you started with no continues in Saturn mode but accumulated more with every hour of play you logged. Dunno if that's the case here.

Phonomezer said:
As far as I can tell, you can assign any button you like.

Correct. You can change the chain mode to Ikaruga in arcade and story mode. Full anime intro, everything. I don't own a saturn copy of rsg myself, I only played it once in a while at a friend's house, so I can't say how accurate the port is.

Sixfortyfive said:
I think I remember that you started with no continues in Saturn mode but accumulated more with every hour of play you logged. Dunno if that's the case here.
That would help give the game longer legs.

Hope they don't charge MSpoints for more continues!

LowerLevel

Sixfortyfive said:
So, unless I'm missing something or it's just not available until later, you get NO CONTINUES in Story Mode (Saturn Mode) period. No adjustable lives count or extend setting either. You still have the option of having weapon EXP carry over to a new playthrough though.

It's been a while since I played the original. I think I remember that you started with no continues in Saturn mode but accumulated more with every hour of play you logged. Dunno if that's the case here.

So hyped! On topic, I am almost 100% certain you earn lives/continues through points and time. SO happy to hear the cutscenes are even in let alone at a higher res.

molekiller said:
How is the gameplay with the regular xbox stick?

It's ok. But I prefer playing with arcade stick. Also unlocks two gamerpics right from the start. After playing 20 times arcade mode you get an rsg shirt for your avatar and after playing 20 times story mode you get an radio controlled toy ship.

Settings: You can change the filter from Hi-res+Effect, Hi-res, Low-Res1, Low-Res2.
You can also change the Translucent alpha from Alpha+ (Only available on Hi-Res), Alpha, Mesh1, Mesh2, Mesh3. 8 different Wallpapers and you can change the brightness of the wallpapers (really cool).

I thought Treasure learned something about crappy demos. Guess not.

Demo throws you right into 2C and that's it.

Good lord I am terrible at this game now.

The shmups forum sez the new mode is basically Ikaruga. You can chain any of the three colors and not have to worry about your bonus getting reset. *twirls finger* hurray.

Someone else mentioned Input lag...hrmmm.. Will have to wait for more info on that.

I woke up a little bit earlier than normal so I could download this and play it before work. What a mistake that was! Now I just gave myself a 10 minute tease, and I've got to think about how much I want to play it while at work all day. :|

It really was cool to be playing this game again after about 12 years away from it. I sold my Saturn copy in 1999.

I love the graphics filter they've implemented. It still looks the same, but smoothed out just a bit. It looks nice on an HDTV. This is just a perfectly faithful port. All the options you'd want are there. Treasure has done this masterpiece justice for the HD era. I honestly worried this day would never come. Bravo to Microsoft for making it happen.

For me the hook of this game is all about the leveling up of your weapons through each play through. Can't wait to get those weapons leveled up more tonight!

Tain

Ikaruga mode still has weapon leveling? :[

I'm glad to see Treasure continuing with the whole no continues thing by default, even if that's a little weird when combined with saving weapon progress

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Someone else mentioned Input lag...hrmmm.. Will have to wait for more info on that.

I think the original had a bunch.

Tain

rayner said:
So basically Pick 3 weapons and use them ALOT?

There are three weapons (A,B,C) and three combination weapons (A+B, B+C, A+C). The combos are as powerful as the buttons that make it up.

Daigoro

its all coming back to me now. every thing i dislike about this game that is.

it certainly has its charm, but it is an odd game. not in a good way.

i do love my MERRY bonus though.

orion434

Mike M said:
Or use the combination weapons to level up two weapons at the same time...

I'm a Radiant Silvergun Noob... but on the X360 are the other 3 buttons the Combination Weapons? I played for a whole 10 mins this morning.

Daigoro said:
its all coming back to me now. every thing i dislike about this game that is.

it certainly has its charm, but it is an odd game. not in a good way.

i do love my MERRY bonus though.

I remember looking up what each of the MERRY bonuses meant, it was so much fun, cause I always wondered why the point totals for each were so bizarre. One of the bonuses translates to IREM. Then I realized one of the first bosses is basically the R-9 from R-Type using his entire arsenal on you. XD

AC!D

rayner said:
I'm a Radiant Silvergun Noob... but on the X360 are the other 3 buttons the Combination Weapons? I played for a whole 10 mins this morning.

rayner, check out this pic:

gCpXB.jpg

On the right hand said you can see which weapons are assigned to which buttons. In this pic, A, B + RB are the original A,B,C weapons.

X, Y, LB and RT (the sword) are the combination weapons. Using any of the combination weapons also powers up your original weapons (so powers up two at once).

I hope that helps (makes sense!)?

Mike M

Nick N
rayner said:
Yeah. Your primaries are the orange Vulcan cannon, green homing shots, and blue angled shots. You can use the combination weapons mapped to individual buttons, or press the two corresponding primary weapons.

If I remember right, the sword is all three primaries at once, but I don't know if it levels up your weapons... Also, I think certain aspects of the combination weapons are dependent on the level of your primaries (I.e., the maximum angle that the lock-on lightning weapon can go to is dependent on your homing weapon level, the damage is dependent on your Vulcan weapon level).

Feels a bit surreal getting to finally play this! Put about an hour in so far and I'm enjoying it. Took a while to get my head around the different weapons but once I learnt them, the game became a lot more enjoyable. Rock hard though! Even on the lowest difficulty.

Quick tip for any newcomers to this game. You'll most likely want to play on the "Story Mode", as that is the mode where your "progress" is saved. Your weapons level up each time you play the game, as you'll see on the bottom left corner where it indicates the level of your three main weapons.

Each time you boot up the game it continues with your weapons leveled up, and each time you play it becomes easier to progress further into the game, as your weapons are able to clear out enemies much easier as they get stronger. This is the addictive quality of this game. Each time you start you know you can probably go further, because you're more powerful, and you can even see your weapons becoming more powerful because they alter visually with your laser cannons becoming wider with each level. Also, each hour you play you gain another continue, which also helps you progress further. Eventually you'll be able to beat the game because of all this. Without those things progressing the game is extremely hard to finish.

So yeah, Story Mode is where it's at in this game. Just make sure you save your file after each game, and override your previous file.

ghibli99

I couldn't wait and dusted off my Saturn disc last night... I still remembered the majority of enemy color combos, timing, good scrapes, etc. in the first stage. I'm reminded of just how much time I poured into this over a decade ago. I did it all on the NiGHTS controller, so I think switching controllers is going to feel pretty strange... but I can't wait until I'm off work tonight. :)

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Man I played so much ikaruga on the dc in college. Pretty sure I played a little of this but never got into it. Downloading the trial now to see what this ikaruga mode is all about.

Xander51

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I thought Treasure learned something about crappy demos. Guess not.

Demo throws you right into 2C and that's it.

I agree about the demo being horrible. I've never played this game before this morning and I was so lost and did a terrible job. I was looking forward to this because I like Ikaruga, but man, this thread has done more to sell me on it than the demo ever could.

Mike M

Nick N
I never played the game for score, but I still had a grand time with just the swapping between weapons on the fly to use the one best suited for the situation, weaving between swarms of bullets to swing my sword at those precious pink pellets, etc.

Only ever really played whatever they were calling Story mode back then, so I built my weapons up over time. Think this time I may tackle it as it's meant to be played...

d0c_zaius

I don't think I've ever been more happy with a download game.

Everything is subbed, it looks clean but not "remastered" and everything feels just solid.

Now time to hunt some dogs (hopefully they ported them as well).

ctrayne

Am I reading there are no continues by default? Thank you Treasure! People need to learn how a shmup is really played, not credit feeding through and saying it sucks because it's "only" an hour long.

Tain

I've heard there are absolutely no continues in coop, too.

so baller. Co-op arcade game credit feeding is probably the least fun thing in the world.

Top Bottom