• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool |OT| A Moon Shaped Poo

Danielsan

Pardon my ignorance, but isn't this album a sort of b-sides compilation?
From what I'm reading (haven't listened to it yet), it looks like there's plenty of songs that people have known for years, and only now are they being put on record.
Testing new songs in a live environment is nothing new. The songs that aren't "new" have been reworked and tinkered with for years to get them just right. These tracks are anything but B-side songs.

Nicktendo86

it's certainly a bleaker one, despite having the exact same vocal melody. It sounds sadder, more heartbreaking. More like Videotape or Motion Picture Soundtrack than Fake Plastic Trees.

Ummm sounds interesting, thanks. Can't wait to hear it.

So I'm pretty certain now after a couple of listens that daydreaming is supposed to be played in the normal direction and then followed immediately in the reverse direction and in an infinite loop.

It's too much of a coincidence that it can be played backwards (with the track jump sound matching perfectly in forwards and reverse and the background vocals being backwards in the normal direction).

I'm sure he says something like "half of my life, half of my love" when he wakes up at the fire at the beginning of playing the song in reverse, which is actually also about halfway in the song if you play them back to back.

What do you think?

Normal
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TTAU7lLDZYU
Reverse
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WjhZYkKvyRg

Nicktendo86

it's also piano/atmosphere based instead of acoustic guitar. Just so you know :)

I liked the piano version on the live album (what was it called... I might be wrong I think?) so this might be up my street. The song has always been special for the vocals for me really :)

Majine

Banned
Is Apple Music that better? I have Spotify but considering changing, not sure where to go tho. To put it clear, things I miss in Spotify: Offspring and In Rainbows (and now A Moon Shaped pool)

Just my personal luck, but so far Apple Music has managed to get the albums I care most about online right away.

In Rainbows is on Apple Music last I checked.

NotLiquid

Pardon my ignorance, but isn't this album a sort of b-sides compilation?
From what I'm reading (haven't listened to it yet), it looks like there's plenty of songs that people have known for years, and only now are they being put on record.

Radiohead has a history of premiering many in-progress tracks in live capacity, sometimes years before the tracks are actually complete. They eventually get worked into a studio capacity if it suits the record.

Radiohead has a history of premiering many in-progress tracks in live capacity, sometimes years before the tracks are actually complete. They eventually get worked into a studio capacity if it suits the record.

Yep, isn't nude recorded on two albums as well iirc

Has anyone given my normal/reverse daydream a listen? Anyone got any idea of what he is saying at the end?

People think it sounds like "half of my life" when played in reverse. I then Read that thom broke up with this wife, whom he had known for about half of his life.

So I'm pretty certain now after a couple of listens that daydreaming is supposed to be played in the normal direction and then followed immediately in the reverse direction and in an infinite loop.

It's too much of a coincidence that it can be played backwards (with the track jump sound matching perfectly in forwards and reverse and the background vocals being backwards in the normal direction).

I'm sure he says something like "half of my life, half of my love" when he wakes up at the fire at the beginning of playing the song in reverse, which is actually also about halfway in the song if you play them back to back.

What do you think?

Normal
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TTAU7lLDZYU
Reverse
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WjhZYkKvyRg

Mind frickin' blown. And if you watch the video, he closes all those doors he opened before. And the sound is still cohesive, albeit chaotic. I mean... Holy shit!

Blader

The strings on The Numbers just hit me.

Also, does anyone think the strings toward the end of Tinker Tailor sound like Shadow of the Colossus? Jonny's a gamer and I know he said he loved ICO, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Thom finally releasing True Love Waits on the album after his divorce is just

fuck, man

fuck.

I'm utterly destroyed.

It occurred to me listening to it this morning that Thom probably wrote this song around the time he and his partner first got together. The lyrics are definitely very Bends-y, but as one of the few leftover tracks from that era (that we know of at least) and given Thom's break up last year, bringing it back as the closer here feels right.

Lé Blade Runner;202998841 said:
Mind frickin' blown. And if you watch the video, he closes all those doors he opened before. And the sound is still cohesive, albeit chaotic. I mean... Holy shit!

Yep, I was thinking that the clip seemed a bit...boring when I first watched it. Then the taking at the end had me interested.

I went to YouTube and found someone else had reversed the ending. That's where I thought he said "half of my life". Then I saw someone else had reversed the whole clip.

I put two and two together and it works, chaotically, but almost too good to be true. The start of the normal clip then becomes like thom has died at the end of the reverse clip, walking into the light.

And the editing of doors and when he looks at the camera in the reverse is too deliberate for it not be purposefully done imo.

This damn album. It's an instant classic but also a grower... It just keeps getting better and better even though I already love it.

Favorite tracks:

Burn the Witch
Daydreaming
Decks Dark
Desert Island Disk
Identitkit
The Numbers

I'm just going to say that Daydreaming, Decks Dark, and The Numbers are easily three of the best songs they've ever written. Period.

Davey Cakes

True Love Waits got the "Videotape Treatment."

I do feel like the album is a massive step up from a lot of the King of Limbs era material. Not that TKOL was bad (it's probably underrated if anything) but I'll admit I appreciate the sound they're going for with AMSP much more overall.

What's the 01/10 thing?

http://www.greenplastic.com/2010/12/17/the-lost-radiohead-album/

To create the 01 and 10 playlist, begin with OK Computer’s track one, Airbag, and follow this with In Rainbow’s track one, 15 Step. Alternate the albums, track by track, until you reach Karma Police on OK Computer, making All I Need the tenth track on the 01 and 10 playlist. Follow Karma Police with Fitter Happier from OK Computer, for tracks eleven and twelve. These two tracks act as a bridge between the first ten and the following ten tracks on the 01 and 10 playlist. Then continue to alternate the albums again, picking up with Faust Arp on In Rainbows, with Electioneering on OK Computer as the following track.

Very neat to listen to. Be sure to set the playlist or player with 10 seconds of crossfade so the tracks blend together.

Servbot24

Banned
Jeez, the lyrics to The Numbers are nearly ruining that song for me. "We call upon the people / People have this power!" *dramatic string section* - ugggghghgh come on guys. Radiohead are often on the nose but that is just way too over the top cornball.

Anyways. That's my main pet peeve on this album, overall I'm in awe :)

I think this reminds me most of much more mature, and subtle (i.e. Radioheadish) versions of Bjork's Vespertine and Beck's Sea Change. Icy, shimmering, unafraid to be quiet, and full of just the right details in just the right places. I know they made some sort of change to their process and that this one took longer, but there is such obvious care behind everything, whereas TKOL just didn't grow on repeat listens in the same way. I hope they've figured out a way of working that they can sustain because they're so clearly still full of amazing ideas.

In my lifetime I haven't seen a band evolve the way these particular musicians have. It's always so interesting to hear what they're up to next. I didn't live through the Beatles, this is what my generation has. And I love it.

The Widget

Neo Member
Has anyone given my normal/reverse daydream a listen? Anyone got any idea of what he is saying at the end?

People think it sounds like "half of my life" when played in reverse. I then Read that thom broke up with this wife, whom he had known for about half of his life.

I've read this as well. Devastating, if true. "Daydreaming" is a heavy enough song as is.

I feel like I could listen to the album a dozen times and get pull something unique from each separate listening session. Those reviews that hit the net 4 hours after release, what a joke. It doesnt work like that with any album, let alone an album as dense and multi-layered as this. Its borderline disrespectful to the artists for the New York Times and Guardian to pull that clickbait shit.

robotrock

Banned
I feel like I could listen to the album a dozen times and get pull something unique from each separate listening session. Those reviews that hit the net 4 hours after release, what a joke. It doesnt work like that with any album, let alone an album as dense and multi-layered as this. Its borderline disrespectful to the artists for the New York Times and Guardian to pull that clickbait shit.
Yeah reviewing this four hours after release is whack. Telegraph's 4/5 review they posted yesterday got changed into a 5/5 today.

Danielsan

Yeah it's ridiculous. I highly doubt anyone had this album in advance. You can't list to this album (or any album really) twice and then fart out a review.

Yeah reviewing this four hours after release is whack. Telegraph's 4/5 review they posted yesterday got changed into a 5/5 today.
So I wasn't just seeing things...
Apparently they also changed the headline from "A work of total self-assurance" to "You'll love it more with every listen".
You'd think music critics would have learned by now not to snap judge a Radiohead album.

Hm. Having a hard time pulling anything redeeming from Tinker Tailor... Dull progression, dull melody, then... strings. Not seeing any payoff.

Top Bottom