• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

CoilShot

MazingerDUDE said:
I use a SSD installed PS3, and I noticed that the SSD significantly reduces the texture pop-in.

Here're comparison videos. (sorry for the quality)

video 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJJlyZUWU0E&hd=1

HDD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsunRUJQpdc&hd=1

SSD

video 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7Wjt1eCs5o&hd=1

HDD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY15YCcH7XM&hd=1

SSD

video 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea4FuTq8c4E&hd=1

HDD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6fhc65C4AM&hd=1

SSD

Not sure how this will compare to fully installed 360 Rage.

Just curious what SSD are you using?

So I uninstalled last night after I tried numerous times to get the second mission to start. I would make it to the loading point but it will always freeze up during the loading process. It wouldn't lock my pc up or anything but I would have to end it by alt tabbing out and closing it manually. Hopefully a fresh install may fix it.

DryvBy

My one and only complaint, coming from the PS3 copy, is texture pop-ins. That 60fps made my wife ask, "Do you have 240hz enabled on the tv to make it look this smooth?". While I still think the game looks amazing, it's very distracting to see a texture pop-in every time I move around. I haven't read through 80 of these pages (work blocked Gaf finally). Is there any info on this being patched out?

Definity

Some strange shit going on if I globally force vsync and triple buffer in the nvida control panel. It works for a bit and then the game totally ignores it. The only way I could get the settings to say is to force it by application and not by global setting.

Finally back to running this game at 1080p without the massive screen tears. Is the high res texture pack up for download yet? ;)

DryvBy2 said:
My one and only complaint, coming from the PS3 copy, is texture pop-ins. That 60fps made my wife ask, "Do you have 240hz enabled on the tv to make it look this smooth?". While I still think the game looks amazing, it's very distracting to see a texture pop-in every time I move around. I haven't read through 80 of these pages (work blocked Gaf finally). Is there any info on this being patched out?
sounds like a no can do. we can edit settings on the PC to make it stop happening, but you need at least 1 gig of dedicated video ram (ideally you need 2 to stop it pretty much completely), and the PS3 only has 256 MBs.

so, this engine, on that platform... won't be able to do it, no.

DryvBy2 said:

ain't gonna be patched out. id spent 6 years getting it to this point/optomizing the engine for PS3/360. Pretty confident they aren't getting any more juice out of it.
This is why I opted for the 360 version in the end. After watching quite a few vids on youtube with the PS3 version, I just could not get past the CONSTANT loading. It never goes away.

Mastperf

Wallach said:
The fucked up part is that it is still amazing looking. If they ever release the texture pack Carmack was talking about this game wouldn't have any competition for miles. Fuckin' never do this console-based development shit again, id.
The console development excuse is bs anyway. Most supposedly "lesser" developers have no problems taking advantage of pc while leading on consoles. The pc version wasn't even ready for release. They can't blame consoles for not properly supporting their main fan-base.
"It's done when it's done." used to mean something with id.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Mastperf said:
The console development excuse is bs anyway. Most supposedly "lesser" developers have no problems taking advantage of pc while leading on consoles. The pc version wasn't even ready for release. They can't blame consoles for not properly supporting their main fan-base.
"It's done when it's done." used to mean something with id.

"It's done when it's done" goes out the window when you're no longer an independent developer.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Whelp, I gave up and purchased it on PS3. I actually quite love the game thus far. It's just what I had hoped and I'm glad to finally be able to just sit back and enjoy it.

The PS3 version runs very well on my system. I'm using a faster hard drive, so perhaps that helps, but texture pop-in seems much less significant. More importantly, the problems seem to occur most frequently in the Wasteland hub. Every other area I've visited seems so much better in that regard. Even still, once you start playing, it's pretty easy to ignore. What I'm seeing on my system is definitely faster than some of the vids floating around. I'm not using an SSD, but textures appear nearly as fast as those videos above in most cases.

Is there any way to get a refund on a Steam game? It is perhaps the first time I feel compelled to return the PC version of a game. I just don't want it anymore. That piece of shit wasted an hour of my time yesterday and I'm still not seeing good results. It is the first PC game in ages that I haven't been able to get up and running at a perfect 60 fps. Some games require a little tweaking, but the end results are great. I'm sure Rage will eventually be patched, but the issues I'm seeing now make it seem as if they will not easily disappear. Stuttering? Hitching? Performance issues while textures load? I'm not willing to wait for those fixes.

Gvaz

Banned
-GOUKI- said:
I think people misunderstand what "Megatextures" are.

Megatexture has nothing to do with texture resolution. It's a tool that makes it infinitly easier to map textures to polygons. Normally a artist would have to paint hundreds and thousands of individual textures then one by one map it to the polygons. This is tedious and time consuming.

Megatextures is a tool created to allow the artist to bypass this by letting them paint directly on to the polygons. The entire world is one big texture for the artist to work on in real time. No need to paint a texture then map. The world is your canvas.

The only downside to this technique is the giant size of the texture. Even at low resolution the textures takes many gigs of space. If rage had sharper textures the install size would have been 30gigs or more.
It's a nice idea but imo the negatives outweigh the positives
- large file size
- inconsistent textures
- tons of pop-in

dark10x said:
Whelp, I gave up and purchased it on PS3. I actually quite love the game thus far. It's just what I had hoped and I'm glad to finally be able to just sit back and enjoy it.

The PS3 version runs very well on my system. I'm using a faster hard drive, so perhaps that helps, but texture pop-in seems much less significant. More importantly, the problems seem to occur most frequently in the Wasteland hub. Every other area I've visited seems so much better in that regard. Even still, once you start playing, it's pretty easy to ignore. What I'm seeing on my system is definitely faster than some of the vids floating around. I'm not using an SSD, but textures appear nearly as fast as those videos above in most cases.

Is there any way to get a refund on a Steam game? It is perhaps the first time I feel compelled to return the PC version of a game. I just don't want it anymore. That piece of shit wasted an hour of my time yesterday and I'm still not seeing good results. It is the first PC game in ages that I haven't been able to get up and running at a perfect 60 fps. Some games require a little tweaking, but the end results are great. I'm sure Rage will eventually be patched, but the issues I'm seeing now make it seem as if they will not easily disappear. Stuttering? Hitching? Performance issues while textures load? I'm not willing to wait for those fixes.

I assume email Valve/check their FAQ. Still wish I could return Deus Ex:HR as well...

dark10x

Gvaz said:
- large file size
- inconsistent textures
- tons of pop-in
That leads me to believe that it was simply ahead of its time. Despite being worked on for years, I don't think it's ready yet. The hardware just isn't there to support what they are trying.

Quite frankly, even if they were to release a massive 50gb package of textures for PC users, I suspect performance would suffer even more and we'd see textures re-drawing all over the place.

I still think it looks very good overall as it really does give the world an appearance the likes of which I've never seen before (so much visual variety), but it's a shame they couldn't come up with some hybrid solution for some of the smaller details.

I assume email Valve/check their FAQ. Still wish I could return Deus Ex:HR as well...
I'll check on it. DXHR was a like a dream compared to Rage (and, after both patches, it runs absolutely perfectly on my setup). Even at launch, its performance was still acceptable and infinitely better than Rage.

DaBuddaDa

Gvaz said:
- large file size
- inconsistent textures
- tons of pop-in
Those only apply for this game and this hardware though. The potential is huge in the future when you have consoles with 4GB RAM or PC video cards with 2GB VRAM and 1TB+ solid state hard drives. All of these things will be affordable and the new standard in 3 to 4 years and this engine will really shine. This is one of the most forward thinking engines Carmack has ever put together.

-GOUKI-

Gvaz said:
- large file size
- inconsistent textures
- tons of pop-in
I don't think the texture inconsistency and pop-ins have anything to do with Megatextures. Something tells me getting this game to run 60fps on Console has something to do with it.

When i look at Rage, i sometimes get the Call of Duty feeling. The cod games look very nice. High production value and texture work. The texture resolution however is shit. I notice this is the trend with almost all 60fps console games. Just my 2 cents.

what kind of stuff do you get in the sewers?

game looks great, but I think they should have added skill trees or something as its very repetitive. I kinda like it but am bored at the same time.

they should also have added an autosave, its soooo easy to forget given that for years now auto check pointing has been standard

cyen said:
CDkeyshere will have the RU version for 26$ but its always a risk to buy RU versions
Non Russian codes should appear on EU release day. Seems to be ~$45. Russian VPN doesn't seem hard to do manually though. I can post a tutorial I found when I get into work if anyone wants. CDkeydiscount who I've used has it for 31 I think, along with some sewer DLC included.

Edit:Sorry missed the below post.
IntKeys + this VPN guide. (IIRC, somebody mentioned that the keys are region-locked.)

Edit: CD Keys Here will be selling Rage keys for $27 and have confirmed that they're region-locked.

Derrick01

Banned
cleveridea said:
what kind of stuff do you get in the sewers?

game looks great, but I think they should have added skill trees or something as its very repetitive. I kinda like it but am bored at the same time.

they should also have added an autosave, its soooo easy to forget given that for years now auto check pointing has been standard

No auto saving is good for you, it will ween you off these console oriented ideas and make you a man. I've only been in a couple of sewers but they seem to give crafting items that aren't really rare but they're sort of hard to get.

Gvaz

Banned
There's virtually no difference between those comparison shots from a page or two ago except AF
-SD- said:

If people lie on their reviews in order to get more people to their site, and to secure future day 1 reviews, it ruins the validity of reviews. If you're not honest there is no trust. As far as I'm concerned, it's a sleezy business practice but everyone seems to be in on it. Bad scores? Investors jump ship and general populace thinks that because the game got a 69 it's WORST GAME EVER HOLY SHIT. Then half the time you read the reviews and they're appending a 92 to the game but in the text essentially saying the game is a hock of shit (DA2 reviews).

/rant

dark - didnt you buy dark souls or something to occupy you until rage got workable? seems wrong giving id $120 thanks to a terrible PC version

Angry Fork

Wow that pop-in on HDD is something awful, jeez. Usually in games it loads once and then you don't have to see that stuff again but EVERY time you turn quickly.

SSD is a very noticeable improvement for sure.

Sanic

Elaborating on a point I made earlier in the thread, I have to say that after some time with the game, this is probably one of the greatest feeling first person shooters i've ever played. The controls are just so tight and accurate, and moving around just feels fantastic. It's a fundamental thing that most do well enough with, but iD just blew it out of the park. It really can't be said enough.

MisterAnderson said:
2ahgy2d.jpg

Surely this isn't as intended...is it? Everything else looks phenomenal aside from these random very green/shadowy areas.

You know, maybe they planned the game without gamma-correction settings in mind. When i switch my monitor from gamma-correction mode to normal-mode the green disappears. Not recommended though, everything else looks muted.

Mastperf

Stallion Free said:
On consoles, I do believe Id just blew Epic out of the water.
Gears 3 is pretty awesome. Epic has released the entire Gears trilogy in less time. Epic has done far better than id.

MGrant

Picked this up last night. The geometry and scale are both really great, but the textures, man. I have seriously no idea what's inside the 22 GB file steam downloaded, but it's certainly not high-resolution textures (and this is after making that cfg file posted earlier in the thread, so pop-in is not the issue.) Game is crying out for a texture and post-processing patch for PC users.

Also, the first ten or so missions I've done are a little easy. Like, walk-up-to-every-enemy-and-wingstick-them-in-the-head easy. The guns are entirely superfluous to these little killing machines. Hope the game picks up in difficulty as it goes on.

Mastperf

Stallion Free said:
Oh, they were competing to see who could release more games first?
No reason to play dumb. Epic delivered 3 AAA games in the time it took id to deliver 1 game. You can ignore Gears quality all you want but there's no debate on who's delivered this gen and who just finally got their game out.

dark10x

cleveridea said:
dark - didnt you buy dark souls or something to occupy you until rage got workable? seems wrong giving id $120 thanks to a terrible PC version
Yeah, it is wrong and I feel bad about it. :\

That said, as interesting as Dark Souls will be, I really wanted to play Rage. I had a blast with it last night, so I'm not disappointed in that sense. I simply wish I had purchased the PS3 version to begin with. I'd love to get a refund on the PC game, but I somehow doubt that will be possible. :(

Also, I actually do not have confidence that the hitching and stuttering will be fixed by a patch. Somehow I get the feeling that the problems I'm encountering are going to remain regardless of what they do.

Fantasmo

Mastperf said:
It's hard to believe that Epic and id used to compete head-to-head.
7 years...
Carmack is pretty hard-headed. Doom3 was forward thinking but not created with level designers and artists in mind. The tools were always hacked in, whereas Sweeney/Epic always made their engines with the creative types in mind.

Rage on the other hand is Carmack finally creating an engine with the designers in mind. For the first time ever though, I think he overshot the goal. That being said, this engine is infinitely scalable. Once hardware catches up, there's an engine and toolset here that maintains 60 under all circumstances, and allows the artists complete reign of the environment detail.

Once the general population kinks are worked out in a few weeks, the only thing needed is an SSD to make the cons go away. And that will happen as SSD tech drops in price.

Only problem is this being an internal engine, Rage isn't going too far.

So Sweeney vs Carmack is a game by game thing than engine vs engine. If you ask me, id should have vastly expanded their studio years ago, but he's not the business man Sweeney is.

AwRy108

MazingerDUDE said:
I use a SSD installed PS3, and I noticed that the SSD significantly reduces the texture pop-in.

Here're comparison videos. (sorry for the quality)

video 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJJlyZUWU0E&hd=1

HDD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsunRUJQpdc&hd=1

SSD

video 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7Wjt1eCs5o&hd=1

HDD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY15YCcH7XM&hd=1

SSD

video 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea4FuTq8c4E&hd=1

HDD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6fhc65C4AM&hd=1

SSD

Not sure how this will compare to fully installed 360 Rage.

Looks like id didn't utilize the SPU's very efficiently. Either way, game still looks gorgeous for a 3rd party PS3 title--I think I'll be able to look past the small texture loading issues.

AwRy108 said:
Looks like id didn't utilize the SPU's very efficiently. Either way, game still looks gorgeous for a 3rd party PS3 title--I think I'll be able to look past the small texture loading issues.
i can't see what it has to do with SPUs. the textures load in off the harddrive. SSD is going to load them in much quicker, therefor greatly reducing the pop in. the amount of textures that can fit in memory at once isn't down to the SPUs either. it's down to the amount of memory limiting how many textures can be loaded at once, and down to the speed of the hard drive you have them loading off.

Mastperf

The spu's are likely used very efficiently. Carmack is a very efficient programmer. The spu's aren't going to fix a drive related problem like this. Rest assured that at 60fps, Cell is farting blood.

^^^ Yeah, what he said.

Fantasmo

plagiarize said:
i can't see what it has to do with SPUs. the textures load in off the harddrive. SSD is going to load them in much quicker, therefor greatly reducing the pop in. the amount of textures that can fit in memory at once isn't down to the SPUs either. it's down to the amount of memory limiting how many textures can be loaded at once, and down to the speed of the hard drive you have them loading off.
Its a shame PS3 got hacked to hell and back. I expect user installed hard drives to go away with PS4. But that's a different conversation altogether. It is definitely super sweet that you can increase the performance of a relatively closed mass market box like PS3 like that.

Gvaz

Banned
Once hardware has improved? What are you talking about, consoles are the baseline, and then you have the improved hardware right here: PCs. You see how well that's working out.

However for PCs you really need to at least have the option for graphics settings. Everyone's standards are different and people want certain things over others.

For me I want higher quality textures over everything else, I don't care if it kills my fps, I'll deal with it and change my settings around to cope.

junkster said:
Its a shame PS3 got hacked to hell and back. I expect user installed hard drives to go away with PS4. But that's a different conversation altogether. It is definitely super sweet that you can increase the performance of a relatively closed mass market box like PS3 like that.

The PS3 hasn't got hacked enough. It's the 360 that got hacked to hell and back. It's the psp that got hacked to hell and back.

Putting the whole game to your harddrive (or even installing a whole ssd) is like playing a pc game with bad graphics. 10 second or less load times, no loud disk noises, no having to switch out disks, I just remount the game. Living the dream.

jett

D-Member
plagiarize said:

...so what's the explanation for the textures loading much slower from the PS3's HDD than the 360's?

Anyway...

id just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about PC culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in the console market where you can become successful by releasing shitty ports. If you screw the Master Race over, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is that PC gamers, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase Doom 4 for any system, nor will they purchase any of Bethesda's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but id has alienated an entire market with this move.

id, publicly apologize and refund PC gamers their money or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Top Bottom