• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Gvaz

Banned
Also I don't know what the 360 has for speed, but the ps3's hard drive bandwidth is only 1.5Gbps and it runs at 5400rpm generally speaking.

jett said:
...so what's the explanation for the textures loading much slower from the PS3's HDD than the 360's?

Anyway...

id just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about PC culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in the console market where you can become successful by releasing shitty ports. If you screw the Master Race over, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is that PC gamers, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase Doom 4 for any system, nor will they purchase any of Bethesda's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but id has alienated an entire market with this move.

id, publicly apologize and refund PC gamers their money or you can kiss your business goodbye.
It's not going to be bad as you're saying, but PC users have lots of patience for modifying and fiddling with a game, but generally they have no patience with their wallet if a game is bad, the next game will be severely hurt unless they try to fix their mistakes.

I know it's a copy paste, but console users don't have much patience either.

daviyoung

Banned
jett said:

I don't know how much the rest of you know about PC culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in the console market where you can become successful by releasing shitty ports. If you screw the Master Race over, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is that PC gamers, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase Doom 4 for any system, nor will they purchase any of Bethesda's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but id has alienated an entire market with this move.

id, publicly apologize and refund PC gamers their money or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Well played.

jett said:
...so what's the explanation for the textures loading much slower from the PS3's HDD than the 360's?
just a guess, but since the 360's ram is more flexible, it could well be possible that the 360 version can fit more textures into ram at once, so as we see reduced pop in on PC versions when we increase that texture cache it's quite plausible to me that the 360 could stream in the textures better. so the 360 is putting more texture detail into memory at once (in theory) and therefore it's swapping textures in and out from the disk less often.

the PS3 has a fixed amount of VRAM to work with, and the 360 can use any of it's ram as VRAM. some PS3 games save VRAM by dedicating specific tasks to the SPUs, but dedicating the texture cacheing and swapping to the SPUs wouldn't save them, because then they'd be stuck working within 256 MB of regular ram, rather than 256 MB of vram.

again... just supposition based on what we see on the PC version.

Mastperf

jett said:

Anyway...

Some have believed for a while now that there might be some sort of bottleneck with the PS3. We've seen instances where PS3 games with required installs have only matched the 360 version running from dvd.

Sullichin

Is there any official word re: a PS3 patch to do anything with the texture pop in? Didn't the PC patch fix this issue? It's hindering my enjoyment of a very fun game. textures disappear as soon as you turn around.

Is it affecting some PS3 users more than others? Maybe I should clear my HDD cache?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm done for the night. I've completed character-given missions in Wellspring up to revisiting Sheriff Black now that I've got a Caprino, and needing to visit the hermit to inquire about the Feltrite sample I found earlier. As far as side-missions are concerned, I've completed what was available on the Job Board as well as all of the available races.

Speaking of the races, they're incredibly easy as soon as you upgrade the engine of your vehicle; in fact, there's no need to worry about the enemy rockets during rocket races since you're so far ahead of the pack the rockets eventually hit a wall or obstacle well before they reach your tail-end.

Needless to say, I'm having a lot of fun.

Edit: This happened to be during a race and I was forced to restart. I did try blowing up my vehicle with my own rocket supply, but I was short two. :p

xeSJp.jpg

The textures are nothing like what id advertised in their trailers. Am I getting some kind of hardware detection bug or is this what the game really looks like?

i7 950
6GB ram
2x GTX 580 in sli
Windows 7 64-bit

Running on the latest nVidia beta drivers.

35d42oj.jpg

Sullichin said:
Is there any official word re: a PS3 patch to do anything with the texture pop in? Didn't the PC patch fix this issue? It's hindering my enjoyment of a very fun game. textures disappear as soon as you turn around.
no official word, but take my word for it... it's not patchable. the PS3 doesn't have enough video memory to avoid that, given the way the engine works. the textures are what they are.

there has been no PC patch yet.

JaseC

Chief_Falcon said:
The textures are nothing like what id advertised in their trailers. Am I getting some kind of hardware detection bug or is this what the game really looks like?

i7 950
6GB ram
2x GTX 580 in sli
Windows 7 64-bit

Running on the latest nVidia beta drivers.

http://i52.tinypic.com/35d42oj.jpg

Use the 8k config posted in the performance thread to bump up the resolution of some textures. It does help somewhat, but, yes, the textures are... terrible.

jimmypop

Banned
Maybe this has already been said: m_smooth defaults to 1, but this isn't a binary option (e.g. 1 is smoothing enabled, 0 is no smoothing). If you read the text, the value is the number of mouse samples used for interpolation. The lowest this value can be is one, unless you'd like no mouselook at all. Higher brings in more samples for interpolation.

There's some misinformation out there about this and other cvars, so just tread carefully.

AwRy108

jett said:

Anyway...

As a consumer, I would be pissed if I bought the PC version, too; but, with that said, what kind of sales numbers do you think the PC version will have vs. the consoles? Apparently id spent more time perfecting the game on consoles, so maybe they're already starting to write off the PC market, much like Epic has. I'd hate for this to be the case, but it does make you wonder...

Dyno

DON'T
DON'T
DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!

Warts and all this game is fucking money! I'm on the PS3 and while the texture pop-in is more pronounced than most games it fades away once the action begins. Everything in this game is gorgeous! The sky puts Halo to shame. Everything has so much detail and weight. And then there is the shooting! Oh good lord!

Not really a spoiler: This is an old school shooter so the first mission you do is with only a revolver and the wingsticks. By the end of that mission you are some kind of motherfucker with that pistol, let me tell you! Definitely one of the best combat tutorials going. Playing on Hard was a great level of challenge. This game is going to be a treat on account of the environments and the enemies. Around every corner is something wild and interesting.

Everyone talking about this being a weak RPG or there is no choice or no open world have missed the point entirely. This is a linear FPS that is very ambitious, opting not to bookend chapters with fades or cutscenes and instead let you travel to your next point in real time. This is iDs approach to keeping you in the game at all times and I don't mind at all. Not many games do it this way.

RAGE is good, very good. Not every shooter trope needs to evolve in the same direction with each game. I'm glad there is a company trying something like this.

AwRy108 said:
As a consumer, I would be pissed if I bought the PC version, too; but, with that said, what kind of sales numbers do you think the PC version will have vs. the consoles? Apparently id spent more time perfecting the game on consoles, so maybe they're already starting to write off the PC market, much like Epic has. I'd hate for this to be the case, but it does make you wonder...
Carmack is on record saying that he regrets focussing on the consoles, and that his next engine will be built for PCs first, and ported to consoles second.

John's interest is in building engines with bleeding edge technology. as ID have moved away from licensing their technology, that's something that plays into, not against, his interests. EPIC are interested in building engines to sell... and as such focus heavily on consoles.

John wishes he hadn't made ID Tech 5 with consoles at the forefront of his mind and is on record saying so, and since they're under no pressure to make something licenseable i see no reason to doubt him.

Sullichin

plagiarize said:
no official word, but take my word for it... it's not patchable. the PS3 doesn't have enough video memory to avoid that, given the way the engine works. the textures are what they are.

there has been no PC patch yet.

Oh, I misread. I saw on Joystiq (yeah.. I know) that a PC patch was coming to fix texture pop in issues:

The above video is a good example of the issue: textures pop-in every time the camera moves. It would appear the high-res MegaTextures that id's John Carmack has been talking about for years are being dropped from memory immediately and not streaming in quickly enough. The Xbox 360 release, underpowered relative to the gaming PC in this video, exhibits very little if any texture pop-in which sort of puts the blame purely on your friend and ours: graphics card drivers!

This is what I'm experiencing on PS3. The game world is constantly subtly morphing because it's loading textures around me. Just sucks :| Textures that load just go away if i move at all lol. I know PS3 is lacking VRAM but I've never seen another game come anywhere close to this level of texture pop in.

jett said:

Anyway...

Hahahahaha. I was just a lurker back then but that post was hysterical.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm really glad angular graphics posted that fix for texture pop in on PC. I'm using the 8192 settings, and the game runs pretty damn well now.

It's really unfortunate that not everyone has it running properly now, though. :(

Dark10x, what were your PC specs that you decided to get the PS3 version instead?

AwRy108

plagiarize said:
Carmack is on record saying that he regrets focussing on the consoles, and that his next engine will be built for PCs first, and ported to consoles second.

John's interest is in building engines with bleeding edge technology. as ID have moved away from licensing their technology, that's something that plays into, not against, his interests. EPIC are interested in building engines to sell... and as such focus heavily on consoles.

John wishes he hadn't made ID Tech 5 with consoles at the forefront of his mind and is on record saying so, and since they're under no pressure to make something licenseable i see no reason to doubt him.

...but, wait a minute: how long has it been since his last engine (aka. DOOM 3), 6-7 years? If he gets, say, 5 years or so out of id tech 5, what's the state of PC gaming going to be at that point? Him saying that he has regrets focusing on the consoles seems like PR speak to me more than anything. For instance, ever since Epic started getting rich off of the console market, they've pretty much ingored PC gamers. Sad, but true.

Smokey

plagiarize said:

Have a link to this?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
thetrin said:
I'm really glad angular graphics posted that fix for texture pop in on PC. I'm using the 8192 settings, and the game runs pretty damn well now.

It's really unfortunate that not everyone has it running properly now, though. :(

Dark10x, what were your PC specs that you decided to get the PS3 version instead?
i7 930 @ 3.2 GHz
Radeon HD5870
8GB DDR3-1666 ram
128gb SSD (along with a 1.5tb drive for other data - Rage is on the SSD, though)

Not bleeding edge by any means, but I've been able to play literally every other PC game this year at a perfect 60 fps without sacrificing most settings.

I don't think I should have to go out and spend $500 on a GTX580 to solve this problem when every other game runs perfectly.

Thus far, the PS3 experience is miles beyond what I get on my PC. It's not even a fair comparison at this point.

Sysgen

Sullichin said:

Is it affecting some PS3 users more than others? Maybe I should clear my HDD cache?

warning-dont-look-back.jpg

ShdwDrake

Banned
jett said:

Anyway...

The meltdowns in that thread were hilarious!

Mrbob

Hopefully Carmack is good for his word and ID puts a little effort into the PC versions of games again in the future.

AwRy108 said:

You might want to look at what Epic has stated their future priorities are before saying they wrote off pc. If anything they are about to make the jump back in and having nothing left for consoles after Gears 3. PC/iOS future for them at the moment. Infinity Blade getting a sequel on December 1 with Shadow Complex 2 being completely ignored says a lot right there.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
dark10x said:
i7 930 @ 3.2 GHz
Radeon HD5870
8GB DDR3-1666 ram
128gb SSD (along with a 1.5tb drive for other data - Rage is on the SSD, though)

Not bleeding edge by any means, but I've been able to play literally every other PC game this year at a perfect 60 fps without sacrificing most settings.

I don't think I should have to go out and spend $500 on a GTX580 to solve this problem when every other game runs perfectly.

Thus far, the PS3 experience is miles beyond what I get on my PC. It's not even a fair comparison at this point.
That's really unfortunate. I was hoping my success with my 6950 and my roommate's 5870 would work for you too. :\

Well, at least you have a working version of the game now!

ironcreed

Banned
Dyno said:
DON'T
DON'T
DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!

Warts and all this game is fucking money! I'm on the PS3 and while the texture pop-in is more pronounced than most games it fades away once the action begins. Everything in this game is gorgeous! The sky puts Halo to shame. Everything has so much detail and weight. And then there is the shooting! Oh good lord!

Not really a spoiler: This is an old school shooter so the first mission you do is with only a revolver and the wingsticks. By the end of that mission you are some kind of motherfucker with that pistol, let me tell you! Definitely one of the best combat tutorials going. Playing on Hard was a great level of challenge. This game is going to be a treat on account of the environments and the enemies. Around every corner is something wild and interesting.

Everyone talking about this being a weak RPG or there is no choice or no open world have missed the point entirely. This is a linear FPS that is very ambitious, opting not to bookend chapters with fades or cutscenes and instead let you travel to your next point in real time. This is iDs approach to keeping you in the game at all times and I don't mind at all. Not many games do it this way.

RAGE is good, very good. Not every shooter trope needs to evolve in the same direction with each game. I'm glad there is a company trying something like this.

Agreed with every word. I already thought it would be my shooter of the year, but what little I have played thus far is exceeding my expectations. I am playing it on PS3 as well and the graphics are so incredibly gorgeous and rich with detail, that the pop-in is easy to forgive. What can you expect from a game that looks this damn fine? All while running like silk as well. This game is a treat to both play and look at.

jett

D-Member
AwRy108 said:
...but, wait a minute: how long has it been since his last engine (aka. DOOM 3), 6-7 years? If he gets, say, 5 years or so out of id tech 5, what's the state of PC gaming going to be at that point? Him saying that he has regrets focusing on the consoles seems like PR speak to me more than anything. For instance, ever since Epic started getting rich off of the console market, they've pretty much ingored PC gamers. Sad, but true.

UE3 games at least run flawlessly on nearly every configuration.

Marco1

jett said:

Anyway...

Love this post.
So when Doom 4 arrives and it looks and plays absolutely great, PC gamers won't buy it? Give me a break FFS.
This is like COD4:MW2, remember the petitions because of no dedi servers? First week it was the most played game on steam.
Remember the annoying stutter on oblivion and fallout3 and NV? It needed a mod to fix and people still bought it.
A good game is a good game no matter what way or what on you play it.
The honest truth is that the money is and will be on consoles, that is why they come first. A business does not run on goodwill and loyalty to a format that is just not there.

Smokey said:
Have a link to this?
http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=23760

Carmack said:
When we started on the game six years ago, I looked at the consoles and said ‘These are as good as the PCs that we're on here’, and our development strategy was set up such that we basically developed live on all the platforms there. And now when we’re looking at PCs that have ten times the horsepower of the consoles... I’m making a large change in my direction, just saying ‘We should be focusing on building things efficiently on the PC and [then] deploying on to consoles.’ And we didn’t make that as crisp of a distinction as we should have.

that's where i saw it.

Fantasmo

plagiarize said:

I've read that and it's a pisser. I mean, the engine is great and it really should get licensed but I'm not them.

I'm majorly disappointed because Unreal 3 looks great but very few run at 60 and they all feel heavy.

Targeting PC is great for PC users but its a small market in comparison that I can't fathom it and very few have the technical skill that Carmack and Sweeney apparently have.

I can only hope Unreal 4 starts including dynamic 60fps coding like Rage and hardware catches up to make something like Rage more pervasive without the current drawbacks.

Smokey

Marco1 said:
Love this post.
So when Doom 4 arrives and it looks and plays absolutely great, PC gamers won't buy it? Give me a break FFS.
This is like COD4:MW2, remember the petitions because of no dedi servers? First week it was the most played game on steam.
Remember the annoying stutter on oblivion and fallout3 and NV? It needed a mod to fix and people still bought it.

Fantasmo

Marco1 said:
Love this post.
The honest truth is that the money is and will be on consoles, that is why they come first. A business does not run on goodwill and loyalty to a format that is just not there.
This is a neogaf in-joke. You haven't been here long have you lol ;)

JaseC

Marco1 said:
Love this post.

You missed the reference.

Marco1

It may be great engine on consoles but we all know that Epic are currently buiding and optimising UE4 for the next gen of consoles with the sole intention of ensuring it will be the most usable engine for major and indie devs.
Carmack didn't do that here and he's messed up big time.
Great game though and really enjoying it.

junkster said:
I've read that and it's a pisser. I mean, the engine is great and it really should get licensed but I'm not them.

I'm majorly disappointed because Unreal 3 looks great but very few run at 60 and they all feel heavy.

Targeting PC is great for PC users but its a small market in comparison that I can't fathom it and very few have the technical skill that Carmack and Sweeney apparently have.

I can only hope Unreal 4 starts including dynamic 60fps coding like Rage and hardware catches up to make something like Rage more pervasive without the current drawbacks.
if you target PC properly, 360 and PS3 shouldn't really be a big headache for you, as you should already have designed a game that supports multithreading, that's scalable, and so on.

these days the consoles are basically PCs in terms of their internals. i doubt that'll change next gen.

Marco1 said:
It may be great engine on consoles but we all know that Epic are currently buiding and optimising UE4 for the next gen of consoles with the sole intention of ensuring it will be the most usable engine for major and indie devs.
Carmack didn't do that here and he's messed up big time.
Great game though and really enjoying it.
Carmack didn't mess up at all, because unlike Epic who design their technology to be licensed by anyone, Carmack developed the technology for ID, and only Bethesda are going to be using it.

you wouldn't criticise Capcom for not ensuring that their Framework engine was designed to be the most usable engine for major and indie devs would you? it's an internal engine with very differrent goals.

pakkit

Banned
Wow, we caught one. Good job, men.

At least on 360, this is one of those games that really showcases that we're reaching the end of the line for current gen. Like Shadow of the Colossus, visually it's wildly ambitious and the hardware can't keep up, (PC can...but that's a tale for another thread) so there were plenty of corners cut.

The texture work is all over the place, and it stands out here because there isn't much consistency in the texture work, as opposed to Bioshock, where the texture work is pretty uniformly low-rez.

Marco1 said:
Love this post.
Haha

Marco1 said:
Apologies, I admit that I'm an idiot!
It happens, good on you for owning it

plagiarize said:

and this: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6461/carmack_on_rage.php?page=3

Because what I look back as one of the biggest mistakes I made in this generation, was at the beginning, five or six years ago, looking and saying, "Consoles are basically as good as PCs," at the time, and developing the workflow so it worked across both of them.

Looking back now, we have PCs that are an order of magnitude more powerful, and if our workflow is instead focused on explicitly on just... you build and develop on the PC, and you decimate things into a target for the consoles. There are things that I would do very differently.

denomes

dark10x said:
i7 930 @ 3.2 GHz
Radeon HD5870
8GB DDR3-1666 ram

My system is not nearly as good as yours. Maybe I should consider the console version.

MrBig

Started the game this morning. Macro details are great but fall short in quality the closer your get, of course. Pop in is ridiculous though. I'm going to look into the 8k textures, but I don't think I'll be able to handle it. 4gb Ram, 512mb vRam,

Gameplay and gunplay is fantastic. Character design and animation are also really good.

Enjoying it so far, but it's been a bit heavy on the fetch quest side.

Maybe this game on PC doesnt deserve serious "they shot themselves in the foot" levels of outrage, but I wonder what this means for quakecon. Why would PC gamers bother showing up anymore?

I H8 Memes said:
Maybe this game on PC doesnt deserve serious "they shot themselves in the foot" levels of outrage, but I wonder what this means for quakecon. Why would PC gamers bother showing up anymore?
To play games?

Fantasmo

plagiarize said:
if you target PC properly, 360 and PS3 shouldn't really be a big headache for you, as you should already have designed a game that supports multithreading, that's scalable, and so on.

these days the consoles are basically PCs in terms of their internals. i doubt that'll change next gen.
I know its a beta but aside from maybe God of War 3 I haven't seen too many miracles... you haven't played the console Battlefield beta have you?

That's an example of why I think targeting 60fps for consoles is a necessary evil.

Soon as the texture popup problem is fixed (via drivers from AMD for Vista64 or a game patch), I'll play the game. Until then, it sits in my Steam Library with me at the very 1st area in game.

Top Bottom