• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Smokey

Now that I've got the game all set up correctly (visually), I'm starting to dig into the game. Really like the gunplay. The 60fps sure does help...so smooth. Starting to get the mechanics down now and I can see this being worth the $40 I spent on it.

Sounds like a lot of the PC issues have been corrected through AMD drivers and other means. Rocky launch, but hopefully it starts to settle down. Can't wait to try this in 3D tomorrow.

EvilDick34 said:
Dude, ANGULAR... I FUCKING LOVE YOU!!! It makes a shit ton of difference. Just for example i am in
DEAD CITY CENTRAL and was just playing it before i came to check the Rage thread and the city was one blurry mess
at this point along with the horrible pop in and after i put the config in, HOLY SHIT, what a world of difference!! There was a huge painting on a building and before i installed the config, the painting would eventually fade in to show itself the closer i got but after the config i could see the painting sharp as hell all the way from where i turned a corner, yes!

Haha, glad I could help :)

Chiggs

Gold Member
EvilDick34 said:
Dude, ANGULAR... I FUCKING LOVE YOU!!! It makes a shit ton of difference. Just for example i am in
DEAD CITY CENTRAL and was just playing it before i came to check the Rage thread and the city was one blurry mess
at this point along with the horrible pop in and after i put the config in, HOLY SHIT, what a world of difference!! There was a huge painting on a building and before i installed the config, the painting would eventually fade in to show itself the closer i got but after the config i could see the painting sharp as hell all the way from where i turned a corner, yes!

Yeah, this and the new graphics driver from AMD has made all the difference in the world. Can't believe how awful it was when it went live at 10pm the other night.

I'm going to try 16384 texture size to see what happens. Shit, i may just restart this game to enjoy it without the constant slow pop in.

Smokey

NullPointer said:
Got a few pics here in the GAF screenshot thread. Now I just need to see what level of anisotropic filtering I can get away with.

Check my post after yours in that thread. I'm running 16x AA and 16x AF through Inspector. I suspect you'd be able to do the same.

Gvaz

Banned
NullPointer said:
Well you almost jumped on my ass yesterday so I'm just pointing out a trend. It's all good though :)
Oh sorry. I've already forgotten what it was about, so it must not have been a big deal ;)

TJOl4.png

Long road ahead.

Hope it works with my PC/driver combo.

NullPointer said:
Got a few pics here in the GAF screenshot thread. Now I just need to see what level of anisotropic filtering I can get away with.

Put these in the config file as well:

vt_maxaniso 4
image_anisotropy 4

In that order:

Code:
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 8192
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 8192
vt_pageimagesizeunique 8192
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 8192
vt_maxaniso 4
vt_restart
image_anisotropy 4

Don't put it higher than 4x because seaming lines appear on the ground etc (I think even at 4x there are some very faint ones, but I am not sure) and id says megatextures aren't compatible with higher levels of AF.

PuONc.jpg

Smokey said:
Check my post after yours in that thread. I'm running 16x AA and 16x AF through Inspector. I suspect you'd be able to do the same.
AM I the only one who doesn't get a x16 AA option in the game's settings? Are you forcing it? I also don't have GPU decoding or whatever it is that I've seen mentioned in this thread before. Is that Nvidia only?

Well I'll try forcing some AF and see how it goes. SO far all of my setting with this have been through CCC global settings. Anybody having luck with RadeonPro?

Edit: will do angular - thanks!

Hawk269

angular graphics said:
Haha, glad I could help :)

Angular,

I did notice a slight problem that is easily not noticeable. The problem exists with or without your little trick, but the difference is the color of the anomolly. When you first walk out of the cryo sleep or whatever it is, and you walk up to the first ledge where you see the the dam in the distance if you move the camera you will see a blue glitch on one of the pillars of the dam. Turning the camera to the right, there are other small patches of blue tint, not alot but noticeable.

When I removed the cfg file, I notice it was still there, but instead of blue it was black in the same exact areas. So while this cfg works wonders it changes whatever built in glitch with distant textures currently exist in the game. Again, it was only in far away textures, but the blue is more notiecable than the black. Just something small to point out.

I am going to see what happens if I reduce the memory allotment in the config file just to see what happens.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Wallach said:
Nope. Not that I could figure out anyway. Also it says it is for the pistol but it would activate with my double-barrel shotgun and even my friggin' fists. Sold that crap.
What the hell? The scope is great. Turns the pistol with some fatboy ammo into a sniper rifle. The sights on the pistol and double-barrel are completely useless anyway.

Tokubetsu

angular graphics said:

vt_maxaniso 4
image_anisotropy 4

In that order:

Code:
vt_maxaniso 4
vt_restart
image_anisotropy 4

Don't put it higher than 4x because seaming lines appear on the ground etc (I think even at 4x there are some very faint ones, but I am not sure) and id says megatextures aren't compatible with higher levels of AF.

PuONc.jpg

Will this work on an ATI card?

Tokubetsu said:
Will this work on an ATI card?

It should work.

I haven't done much testing with those 2 AF commands, if there are any issues remove them. The rest should work fine provided you have the required amount of memory.

Clott said:
I did that, but in the file details it still shows as .txt
Bring up the folder, select "Organize" > "Folder and search options". Click on the "View" tab and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types".

Now you can see the full name of your files and rename them, both filename and extension.

Hawk269

angular graphics said:

vt_maxaniso 4
image_anisotropy 4

In that order:

Code:
vt_maxaniso 4
vt_restart
image_anisotropy 4

PuONc.jpg

So forcing AFx16 via control panel is not advisable, but putting it at 4x in the config is the way to go?

Clott

NullPointer said:
Bring up the folder, select "Organize" > "Folder and search options". Click on the "View" tab and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types".

Now you can see the full name of your files and rename them, both filename and extension.

That did it! thanks

=)

pakkit

Banned
Wait, those sewers are DLC? Sucks for people who buy used, they're pretty obvious and out in the open. Plus several NPCs mention the sewers pointblank.

In the Dead City now. I wasn't sure how I felt about weapon selection on the gamepad, but now that I've really settled in and customized it, I think it should start being considered as an industry standard for FPS's that deal with more than 2 guns at a time. You get to choose your own line up, so I arranged it by proximity. Sniper Rifle > Machine Gun with zoom > Machine Gun > Shotgun.

Anyway, I'm off to Pittsburgh for a week, but I've certainly enjoyed the game so far. It doesn't really do anything new, but all of the elements are competent, and the gunplay on consoles does well to translate that PC corridor shooter history that id commands onto the 360.

One pet peeve before I go, I wish the game had more OOMPH. More vibration in the controller, more believable enemy death animations, more bass in the sound design, (some of the guns, and the vehicles in particular, sound too whiny instead of that deep satisfying punch you get in some other games).

ironcreed

Banned
Played this for a bit after a Dark Souls session. Playing it on the PS3 and my jaw was on the floor. Yes, there is some pop-in, but with this kind of graphical fidelity going on, I can accept that. I just don't think there is a better looking game on consoles. It runs and plays like butter as well.

Hawk269

ironcreed said:
Played this for a bit after a Dark Souls session. Playing it on the PS3 and my jaw was on the floor. Yes, there is some pop-in, but with this kind of graphical fidelity going on, I can accept that. I just don't think there is a better looking game on consoles. It runs and plays like butter as well.

Have not seen the console versions, but a co-worker did not shut up about the 360 version. He said between Rage and Gears 3 that the two games have been the best graphical masterpieces he has played ever (console gamer only).

-GOUKI-

I think people misunderstand what "Megatextures" are.

Megatexture has nothing to do with texture resolution. It's a tool that makes it infinitly easier to map textures to polygons. Normally a artist would have to paint hundreds and thousands of individual textures then one by one map it to the polygons. This is tedious and time consuming.

Megatextures is a tool created to allow the artist to bypass this by letting them paint directly on to the polygons. The entire world is one big texture for the artist to work on in real time. No need to paint a texture then map. The world is your canvas.

The only downside to this technique is the giant size of the texture. Even at low resolution the textures takes many gigs of space. If rage had sharper textures the install size would have been 30gigs or more.

ironcreed

Banned
Hawk269 said:
Have not seen the console versions, but a co-worker did not shut up about the 360 version. He said between Rage and Gears 3 that the two games have been the best graphical masterpieces he has played ever (console gamer only).

It is a graphical masterpiece. Like I said, my jaw was on the floor. Can't state enough how gorgeous this game is. Next time someone tells me that graphics don't matter, I am going to tell them to play RAGE, then get back to me. It will bring out the graphics whore in you.. guaranteed, lol.

mik83kuu

Banned
pakkit said:
Wait, those sewers are DLC? Sucks for people who buy used, they're pretty obvious and out in the open. Plus several NPCs mention the sewers pointblank.

That's the point. The sewers are their version of an "online-pass" to get some money back from used games sales. I wholly approve.

Well, no GAF'er gave any tech support, so I did a System Restore, then simply installed the Rage ATI package. We'll see how it goes, but it's slapped across the top of the old BF3 ATI pack...

Game is pretty great. Honestly if people want to compare it to Borderlands, go ahead. I prefer this as a package compared to Borderlands (although, they really shouldn't be compared).

My main gripe is the menu system. It's clunky and hard to read (360 version).

ironcreed

Banned
canadian crowe said:
Game is pretty great. Honestly if people want to compare it to Borderlands, go ahead. I prefer this as a package compared to Borderlands (although, they really shouldn't be compared).

My main gripe is the menu system. It's clunky and hard to read (360 version).

Hell, I think it is worth it to just stand around and drool at, lol. Thankfully, it seems fun as hell as well. I would take it over Borderlands any day.

Hawk269 said:
So forcing AFx16 via control panel is not advisable, but putting it at 4x in the config is the way to go?

I'd say so. In fact I think on nvidia, the control panel setting won't do anything as there's a special setting in the Rage profile put by nvidia to ignore any manual AF setting:

dVf4J.jpg

Hawk269

Hawk269 said:
Angular,

I did notice a slight problem that is easily not noticeable. The problem exists with or without your little trick, but the difference is the color of the anomolly. When you first walk out of the cryo sleep or whatever it is, and you walk up to the first ledge where you see the the dam in the distance if you move the camera you will see a blue glitch on one of the pillars of the dam. Turning the camera to the right, there are other small patches of blue tint, not alot but noticeable.

When I removed the cfg file, I notice it was still there, but instead of blue it was black in the same exact areas. So while this cfg works wonders it changes whatever built in glitch with distant textures currently exist in the game. Again, it was only in far away textures, but the blue is more notiecable than the black. Just something small to point out.

I am going to see what happens if I reduce the memory allotment in the config file just to see what happens.

Ok, the graphical issue I mentioned above is now gone. How you say? Listen to Angular..Angular is wise...lol

Turning off the 16xAF I had forced through the control panel was causing this. I then modified the cfg file with the latest update that Angular mentioned and now the weird graphical stuff I explained above is now gone.

One thing about being more of PC gamer vs. being console gamer most of my life is fucking around with settings and modifying files. I have had Rage loaded and playable for the last 3 hours, but have yet too really play since I have been messing with settings. It is par for the course though because when you invest heavily like i have into a monster rig, you want the most/prestine level of graphics you can get out of the games, so you kind have to spend some time tweaking.

The benefit of console gaming, slap the fucker in and play. lol. Although my PC Master Race has taken hold of me, still love my consoles and cannot wait for Forza 4!

JRW

angular graphics said:
Go to your "base" folder.

Create a file named "rageconfig.cfg"

type inside:

vt_restart

save it and start rage

Carmack & Willits said they would do it before release; the console version uses 4k x 4k (loaded) textures, but the PC version should/would use 8k x 8k, and after release they would tweak it to use 16k x 16k - but no, the PC version shipped using 4k x 4k textures like on consoles thus it has the exact same (bad) pop in as on consoles.

But why wait for Carmack? Tweak it yourself now!

Note: you will likely need a lot of RAM (maybe VRAM as well), for example at least 4GBs.
If you have a significant amount of RAM you might even want to try to use 16384 (16k) values instead of 8192. However not everyone had a success doing that, while for most people 8192 worked fine.

Good luck, and anyone that tries it please report back your experience :)

edit: the post has been edited, I now suggest 8192 as the default value.

Dude this is AWESOME I just tried 8192 and noticed sharper textures and less blur overall, GTX 480 / 285.38 drivers.

I took a before & after shot:

Default rage (rageconfig.cfg Not present): Default

Using rageconfig.cfg with your settings: Rageconfig.cfg

I can spot several areas that look sharper but the area that stood out right away is the roof texture in the distance above the garage.

Thanks!

jett

D-Member
JRW said:
Dude this is AWESOME I just tried 8192 and noticed sharper textures and less blur overall, GTX 480 / 285.38 drivers.

I can spot several areas that look sharper but the area that stood out right away is the roof texture in the distance above the garage.

Thanks!

Looks virtually the same.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Doh! Just beat the first 'boss' and was quickly informed that I will be receiving no Steamchievements on this playthrough for having the console enabled.

If you care about cheesements, don't turn on that console!

JRW said:

Thanks!

Awesome :)

Here's the "science" behind the setting: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/08/e3-2011-why-rage-will-run-better-on-pc/

It’s best to let technical wizard John Carmack explain this one. “One of the significant things that’s not really obvious is that because we break everything up into these texture pages, the consoles are limited because they don’t have enough memory and on the PS3 you can’t go larger than a 4096 squared texture,” he says.

“There’s a lot of scenes that really need more than that on there, so a lot of scenes sort of hit an upper limit on the consoles, where on the PC where we can use an 8k by 8k texture for that we can bring in higher fidelity. So even if you’re running the PC version at 720p resolution you’ll get crisper graphics on there.

He talked about it in interviews and his keynote, and eventually they released it using the console memory settings. WTF Carmack RAAAAGEEEEEE XD

OK, now that I'm in wellspring I'm running into issues, this time with the characters in game. They keep flickering in and out like they're barely in the world. Sometimes they'll just flicker in and out and sometimes it looks like the game is flickering between two different animation states - so I'll see somebody with their arms folded flickering with another image of them arms apart. I usually get hitches around these times too.

I took out the rageconfig file but it didn't make a difference. AA settings don't matter either. Now I'm at a loss.

NullPointer said:
I took out the rageconfig file but it didn't make a difference. AA settings don't matter either. Now I'm at a loss.
Did you try a new game without rageconfig, the save might have something wrong with it?

This game runs like butter even on my lowly Athlon X4, 8GB Ram, and 5770. 1080p 4xAA 60fps. Anyone playing this game should use the autocfg angular graphics posted before as well. You barely see texture pop in with it. I'm not far into the game at all but it looks really good and the gun play is very fun. Glad ATI got proper drivers out so soon.

Top Bottom