• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Hawk269

angular graphics said:

So basically, ID & John, long time PC developers decide to go this route with ID5, while a small polish company decides to stick to their roots with only 1 GAME to their credit (The Witcher) and decides that developing The Witcher 2 on PC is priority to the point where they postpone the console versions to finish and dedicate themselves to the PC version. Then after a while decide to begin work on a "TRANSLATION" of the PC game to 360, while still supporting the hell out of the PC version with the latest 2.0 patch and still hints at additional DLC/Patches for the PC version....

Oh and all the while with their own engine that destroys IDTech5. Again, a small independent polish developer with 1 game to their credit outsmarts, out performs a company with the reputation of ID?

Interesting!

I like Rage, it is a nice game and looks nice as long as you don't get close to any textures, but it is really sad that a company with the PC pedigree of ID fuck up the PC version of the game this bad, while CDPR outclasses them on only their second game.

Kurdel

Banned
This game is so awesome.

PS3 version is just fine, even with the pop-in.

As far as gameplay goes, my favorite shooter this gen by far.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Doc Holliday said:
- The last few years have turned me into an FPS pussy. I keep trying to take cover and be stealthy. Fuck that! You can actually rush most opponents and rely on old school reflexes to take out a room pretty easily.

Yep! I came to this realization during the second mission, when I just said "fuck it" and rushed the room with my shotgun. It was quite a rush.

Lothars

Hawk269 said:
Oh and all the while with their own engine that destroys IDTech5. Again, a small independent polish developer with 1 game to their credit outsmarts, out performs a company with the reputation of ID?

Interesting!

I like Rage, it is a nice game and looks nice as long as you don't get close to any textures, but it is really sad that a company with the PC pedigree of ID fuck up the PC version of the game this bad, while CDPR outclasses them on only their second game.
it destorys IDTech5? wow the hyperbole is insane, I would say that it's comparable but It's insane to say it destorys it when it doesn't.

RyL

Banned
jett said:
I believe it's originally from gamefaqs. That guy is just doing a "dramatic reading".
last time offtopic, I promise

yea, I missed to point that out. He was the one who made it famous though. (so credits to him)

Fragmaster made fun of many pathetic comments/blogs with his "nerd persona" but the FF13 and SSBB videos are his most famous ones.

His name is Kevin "Fragmaster" Bowen
www.kevinbowen.com

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
jaekwon15 said:
So without a SSD I should avoid the ps3 version?
Not at all. There seems to be variation beyond this. I see less texture popping on my PS3 than some of the videos floating around. It's not as quick as the SSD video, but it's definitely faster than the others.

U2NUMB

AgentOtaku said:
FUCKING GREAT!

Looks like my 360Slim is now doing this:

Game starts from Disc even when installed

EDIT: Okay, now it finally stopped spinning, WTF!?

This is normal now. It only spins for a bit before it then pulls off the hard drive. I heard someone say it has something to do with accessing that extra gig on the disc they recently unlocked but I am not sure.

But this is normal..

FrankT

Uh you do not have to install all 3 for sure. I got 2 in and never even tried doing just one. Now as far as these discs spinning. They do that now for a bit due to the new format and security. Noticed this first with Gears, but eventually it should stop. That is how Gears works and so far for this game as well.

U2NUMB said:
This is normal now. It only spins for a bit before it then pulls off the hard drive. I heard someone say it has something to do with accessing that extra gig on the disc they recently unlocked but I am not sure.

But this is normal..

Yup.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Lothars said:
it destorys IDTech5? wow the hyperbole is insane, I would say that it's comparable but It's insane to say it destorys it when it doesn't.

'Destroys' is certainly hyperbole, but I think, overall, The Witcher 2 is a much better looking game. RAGE is an amazing looking game as long as you don't look at anything too closely, but there are some really ugly spots. Their tech has allowed them to create some truly unique looking environments with texture variety that is second to none, but goddamn if that didn't come at a huge cost. Maybe someday they'll release a 50gb+ texture pack that does the game justice, but considering the lack of care that the PC version obviously got at launch, I won't be holding my breath.

jmdajr said:
Wow, impressive. I hope the tech is used for more games since I hear Rage simply isn't THAT fun.

Unrelated, I had no idea PS3 could use SSD!

RAGE is a ton of fun if you like shooting dudes with loud and powerful guns.

dark10x

jmdajr said:
Xbox owners...

does Rage look better than Gears of War 3?
Hmmm, yes and no.

Running at double the framerate makes a big difference and the texture variety is impressive, but Gears has better fidelity and vastly superior lighting.

They both take such a different approach to visuals that it's difficult to make any sort of comparison.

Maybe someday they'll release a 50gb+ texture pack that does the game justice, but considering the lack of care that the PC version obviously got at launch, I won't be holding my breath
Quite frankly, I don't believe that most PCs today would even be able to HANDLE a 50gb texture pack. PCs are struggling as it is even with the included texture pack. All that would do is add more stuttering and more texture draw-in.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
dark10x said:
Hmmm, yes and no.

Running at double the framerate makes a big difference and the texture variety is impressive, but Gears has better fidelity and vastly superior lighting.

They both take such a different approach to visuals that it's difficult to make any sort of comparison.

Quite frankly, I don't believe that most PCs today would even be able to HANDLE a 50gb texture pack. PCs are struggling as it is even with the included texture pack. All that would do is add more stuttering and more texture draw-in.

You might be right, but people with 3gb of VRAM and 16gb of RAM certainly wouldn't have too many problems.

I'm running 4GB DDR3 with a Radeon 5870 1GB, and I have no problems with texture pop-in anymore with the latest drivers and the config file tweak (set to 8192). The game runs extremely well.

jmdajr

dark10x said:
Hmmm, yes and no.

Good to know. I believe this Tech is going to be really good for the Next-Gen consoles. I know we already have people saying they will be underpowered compared to the crazy PC video cards you can get today, but I think they will get a lot out of them with these game engines.

mik83kuu

Banned
Played 30 minutes and just learned how to swich weapons by accident. Double-barreled Shotgun has the sound effect made by God himself.

Also game runs 60FPS with the 8k .cfg and looks amazing. So far no texture popping at all from my Raid 0 SSD setup.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Zefah said:
'Destroys' is certainly hyperbole, but I think, overall, The Witcher 2 is a much better looking game. RAGE is an amazing looking game as long as you don't look at anything too closely, but there are some really ugly spots. Their tech has allowed them to create some truly unique looking environments with texture variety that is second to none, but goddamn if that didn't come at a huge cost. Maybe someday they'll release a 50gb+ texture pack that does the game justice, but considering the lack of care that the PC version obviously got at launch, I won't be holding my breath.

Ok, but the witcher 2( which i love) looks how great on 360? blurry medium resolution textures that is coming out almost a year later, very comparable to Rage textures.
Its not that the Red Engine blows away idtech5 at all .. Its only that a dedicated PC version release looks better then a simultaneous 3 platform release.
I'd have been happy if Rage was PC only for now and optimized for PC then worked on for a year for console..but thats just now how it played out.

Frostburn

Zefah said:
You might be right, but people with 3gb of VRAM and 16gb of RAM certainly wouldn't have too many problems.

I'm running 4GB DDR3 with a Radeon 5870 1GB, and I have no problems with texture pop-in anymore with the latest drivers and the config file tweak (set to 8192). The game runs extremely well.

I'm sure running the game from SSD would take care of the issues all together but who has the space for a 22Gig install on their SSDs right now? Can't wait for the prices to come down more for the higher capacity drives.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
bloodydrake said:
Ok, but the witcher 2( which i love) looks how great on 360? blurry medium resolution textures that is coming out almost a year later, very comparable to Rage textures.
Its not that the Red Engine blows away idtech5 at all .. Its only that a dedicated PC version release looks better then a simultaneous 3 platform release.
I'd have been happy if Rage was PC only for now and optimized for PC then worked on for a year for console..but thats just now how it played out.

I personally don't care about the 360 version in the slightest (other than wanting CDProjekt to succeed), but have we seen any in-game footage of it yet? Does it look terrible?

Regarding the actual engine tech, I'm not knowledgeable in that area, so I can only comment on the end visual result, but it certainly seems plausible that idtech5 is much better when it comes to visual bang for the buck. I've heard plenty about it being very scalable (hell they got it running on iOS).

I can't say which engine is 'better' (I'm sure they are quite different, anyway), but the end result on a decent PC certainly favors The Witcher 2, in my opinion.

Truespeed

jaekwon15 said:
So without a SSD I should avoid the ps3 version?

If you have both consoles, I'd go with the lead platform - the 360. If not and you're okay with the performance deficiencies and constant texture pop in with the PS3 version then I'd get that. As Carmack specified:

1. PC
2. 360 Install
3. PS3 (8GB Install)
4. 360 No Install

Played a decent amount on and off last night. I quit after I completed the Shrouded Bunker which was a very fun dungeon(?) and the first where enemies got beefed up and actually had some element of danger to them(Playing on Normal). Although all the various extra shit is entertaining, the shooting sequences are by far the most fun and I find myself just wanting to do that and not constantly driving back and forth, racing or running around Wellspring.

Really enjoying it overall though. I thought I could juggle this and Crysis but Rage kinda stole my interest from Crysis.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Space A Cobra said:
Played a decent amount on and off last night. I quit after I completed the Shrouded Bunker which was a very fun dungeon(?) and the first where enemies got beefed up and actually had some element of danger to them(Playing on Normal). Although all the various extra shit is entertaining, the shooting sequences are by far the most fun and I find myself just wanting to do that and not constantly driving back and forth, racing or running around Wellspring.

Really enjoying it overall though. I thought I could juggle this and Crysis but Rage kinda stole my interest from Crysis.

Likewise, even though I said earlier that I was done for the night (now early morning). :p The bunker is the first meaty mission of the game and it shows.

Truespeed

Hanzou said:
Is the Anarchy edition only for pre-orders for this game or is it included with all of the first run copies?

I think it's a limited edition. My pre-order was the Anarchy edition, but you can still find it for sale in some places like Amazon UK for a bit more then the standard edition.

Truespeed

Mastperf said:
I was referring to "That bottleneck you're referring to often comes down to competence or porting effort."
Rage suffers from neither incompetence nor lack of effort.

And I was referring to how you can compensate for that "bottleneck".

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Lothars said:

The visuals of Rage comparable to those of TW2 ? As much as I am/was a staunch defender of Rage visuals now and before it got released, TW2 blows Rage away. It destroys it visually. But in the end I don't think they're comparable for many reasons, genre, setting, scope etc. It just goes to show though, how much good texture work affect the visuals of a game.

DennisK4 mode enabled :

witcher22011-10-0515-3l866.png

The high res pc screenshot thread has tons of kickass TW2 screens.

It is just me or does it seem like some headshots don't seem to register? Its never good to pop a guy right in the brainpan and not see them drop. And yes, this is even after knocking their helmet off.

dark10x

Zefah said:

I'm running 8GB DDR3 with a Radeon 5870 1GB and it runs like shit for me. :\

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
NullPointer said:
It is just me or does it seem like some headshots don't seem to register? Its never good to pop a guy right in the brainpan and not see them drop. And yes, this is even after knocking their helmet off.

That or a single headshot doesn't put them down.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
dark10x said:
I'm running 8GB DDR3 with a Radeon 5870 1GB and it runs like shit for me. :\

That's odd... with the config tweak? Are you messing around with anything else in the config file? There was another config tweak posted earlier in the thread (before the new ATI driver came out) that I tried out, but it destroyed my framerate and caused those weird texture seams to appear.

My CPU is a Sandy Bridge i5 2500k @ 3.3ghz if that matters.

Oh, I just remembered. Check this out, too:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1236544-texture-cache-folder-fix/

It was before the ATI driver fix, but manually adding the texture cache folders greatly improved my framerate.

Grinchy

Banned
I realize there's probably no hope of seeing a demo for this game, but I really wish I could find out how it runs on my PC. There's no way I'm sinking $60 into something with no idea of how many problems I'd run into (especially with all the complaints going on). Plus, I don't really want to settle for the PS3 version when I know my PC should be able to run it better.

dark10x said:
Does the game support SLI, I keep reading people don't have it working?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Lactose_Intolerant said:
Does the game support SLI, I keep reading people don't have it working?

Nope it's not working atm, last thing I heard was that new nvidia drivers are right around the corner.

Karish

Gamefly'd. Played for an hour or so last night. Not bad, but just no compelling reason to play it. Sent back already.

brunoa76

NullPointer said:

I don't know but when I shoot an ennemy and he enters into a collapse animation, I have a feeling my shots don't register during that animation ?!

Definity

Getting a bit further into the game and I'm having fun with it now. Really enjoyed that first dead city mission (defib upgrade).

Sanic

I'm kind of not actually all that impressed with the combat, from a reactionary standpoint. Many of the guns lack oomph and don't really provide a satisfactory reaction from enemies, and those long death roll animations, while looking sort of cool, take me out of the experience in the sense i'm describing above.

Top Bottom