• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

tci

It's hard to not notice the terrible textures in the game. The good art direction helps a bit though. Any news on better textures? I'm in the second location now and it cringe worthy how bad it's looking on PC.

Foxix Von

Rented it on the PS3 and so far the game is just strange. Texture pop in seems... weird too, sometimes it's almost entirely unnoticeable and other times, incredibly blatant. I find myself sort of getting used to it which is a bit odd.

The gunplay REALLY good so far and the shotgun might as well be fueled by bass. However the core mechanics seem to be taking place inside of a world consisting only of fetch quests. I like the level design but so far the missions are bland. I'm glad I'm getting to play it but I'm definitely glad I didn't buy it. The world is completely gorgeous on an art level but it somehow still feels generic and played out, which is not so much a fault of it's own.

It's just weird.

It's a joy to play and shoot but sort of a chore and a slog through as an entire package if that somehow makes sense.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I'm guessing I'm close to done now,
I just finished taking out the Russian gear heads in their base and returned to find the authority had yanked out biker boss bro.
I've completed all the races, so I'll finish up the mini-games and main quests tomorrow. I believe I'm missing one or two of those vehicle jump thingies as well, now that I think about it.

Feeling extremely good about this game still. I'll see later what's up with the ending most of you seem to be disappointed with though, heh.

Holy shit, i'm STILL on Disc 1 and at about 9 hours (O__o)

Just did
the part where you have to retrieve your data from Ark site

Metal-Geo

Gravijah said:
question: can you make enough car money stuff (forget what it is called) to buy all of the upgrades?
Race certificates? Yes. Remember, you can earn race certificates by racing and by killing bandits on the Wasteland. For the latter, you'll have to go to the bar to collect the certificates.

Gravijah

Metal-Geo said:
Race certificates? Yes. Remember, you can earn race certificates by racing and by killing bandits on the Wasteland. For the latter, you'll have to go to the bar to collect the certificates.

oh, you get certificates for killing bandits? sweet. i've only put about 2 hours into the game so far, need to neglect it less. :(

Metal-Geo

Gravijah said:
oh, you get certificates for killing bandits? sweet. i've only put about 2 hours into the game so far, need to neglect it less. :(
You don't get them automatically. Go to the bar in Wellspring to make a deal with the bartender. Go out on the road, kill sum sonsabitches, go back to the bartender and collect! :)

Just beat the game(On Nightmare).....The last stage was such a let down. So was the ending. Still have no idea what the hell this game was about. Not even going to bother and get the rest of the achievements. I stated my beef with this game already, no need to repeat myself.

Hazanko

Banned
I'm really on the fence about this game. On one hand, someone says the texture loading isn't bad on the X360 and then someone else says it is. Then when it comes to gameplay, someone says it's terrible and another person says it's the best fps they played in years, grrrr. Really mixed opinions with this one. I really want to play it but I just don't know!

Hazanko said:
I'm really on the fence about this game. On one hand, someone says the texture loading isn't bad on the X360 and then someone else says it is. Then when it comes to gameplay, someone says it's terrible and another person says it's the best fps they played in years, grrrr. Really mixed opinions with this one. I really want to play it but I just don't know!

Rage is a very very nice game , but not a masterpiece. Start limp, then explodes with a couple of really nice and fun missions. Then it becomes a little repetitive, most of the races are very easy. Then again, it becomes exciting, especially if you like mini games offered (I spent 4 hours trying to finish finger filet, but the last step changes every time, you bastards!). Then he ends up as a small smoky bomb.

The graphics are very very good, especially on the Xbox, the update of the texture is a problem that we soon forget because the rest it is phenomenal. In short, a good game. Compared to the old games from id is definitely a huge game. But compared to what we're used to playing today, is a bit skimpy in intent

Hazanko said:
Rent it. That's what I did. Here's my opinion on the game http://neogaf.net/forum/showpost.php?p=31607095&postcount=5801 The second disc has some nice environments. You actually barely use your car on the second disc. Shit, the second disc missions doesn't make any sense at all. The themes are all over the place, it doesn't make sense or flow well like the first disc. I don't mean the missions themselves as a whole, but the environment settings. And also, this world in RAGE is very small, too small for my liking. This game could've been something. Play DeusEX(If you haven't) or Borderlands instead(If you haven't as well)

WrikaWrek

Banned
Where's the resistance base in Subway town?

Man this game started looking amazing when I got into the new hub. Amazing visuals, the art is second to none, and the amount of detail around you is impressive.

Game has dethroned the Halo series for me, as far as combat goes, Rage for me is combat evolved (again) right now. Combining the weapons the gadgets, the feel, the speed, the A.I etc.

I'm hooked.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
WrikaWrek said:
Where's the resistance base in Subway town?

Man this game started looking amazing when I got into the new hub. Amazing visuals, the art is second to none, and the amount of detail around you is impressive.

Game has dethroned the Halo series for me, as far as combat goes, Rage for me is combat evolved (again) right now. Combining the weapons the gadgets, the feel, the speed, the A.I etc.

I'm hooked.

In the garage, just to the right of the exit to the wasteland. There's an inconspicuous lift underneath the floor that activates as you approach it.

StuBurns

Banned
Anyone finished the last mission with the second car unmodded? I want to finish the game, but if it means doing more racing I'll leave it.

madmackem

Metal-Geo said:

I finished all the ones in wellspring, but didnt get the achievement is there more in other places to do.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Someone explain how to do head shots properly in this game. I've got the pistol and the half scope. Zoomed right onto a guys noggin and boom, no headshot. It's odd.

The other thing. How comes it take two blows from my fist to kill someone but four bullets or so. Am I doing something wrong?

Solo

StuBurns said:
Anyone finished the last mission with the second car unmodded? I want to finish the game, but if it means doing more racing I'll leave it.

Seriously? You won't complete the game if it means doing another incredibly easy, incredibly short race?

Gravijah

the sound when you deliver an item/reach a rocket rally checkpoint is loud as fuck. kills my ears with headphones on, i have to turn it effects down until i'm done. :/

Locke_211

I really enjoy the sewer missions - cramped corridors, lots of enemies charging you, double-barrelled shotgun. This game seems at its best in moments like these. I even don't mind the sheer gall of having finishing each sewer mission generating a job board mission that's basically 'go back and do the sewer again'.

How many sewers are there in the first area? I've found four so far.

I like the AI, too. The human enemies are very cautious, though, hopping around quite cleverly from cover to cover while never rushing forward. While this means you can't simply go back around a corner and shoot them all as they follow you around, since they just won't follow you, sometimes their caution goes too far. Like when I'm on the verge of death and one shot would kill me, I can wait a millimeter out of their line of sight and they're not brave enough to follow and finish me off. But this is so much better than the games where they do just mindlessly follow you.

Metal-Geo

madmackem said:
I finished all the ones in wellspring, but didnt get the achievement is there more in other places to do.
I'm not quite sure what the achievement is, but
there's another town you'll get to, that also has its own races.
cyberheater said:
Someone explain how to do head shots properly in this game. I've got the pistol and the half scope. Zoomed right onto a guys noggin and boom, no headshot. It's odd.

The other thing. How comes it take two blows from my fist to kill someone but four bullets or so. Am I doing something wrong?
Headshots are less effective than you would've come to expect from a first person shooter. If you use the fatboy (fatmamma?) bullets, you'll easily kill bandits with a single shot in the head. But otherwise, it might take a shot or two.

If you have the Anarchy edition, you have some spikey objects on your hands. I'm not sure whether it does more damage or not, that could be it. Otherwise, well, hell, it's just a gameplay balance thing. I mean, it takes a few shotgun blasts to the face to kill a charger in L4D2. But a single slap with a frying pan is just as effective. :p

Locke_211 said:
I really enjoy the sewer missions - cramped corridors, lots of enemies charging you, double-barrelled shotgun. This game seems at its best in moments like these. I even don't mind the sheer gall of having finishing each sewer mission generating a job board mission that's basically 'go back and do the sewer again'.

I like the AI, too. The human enemies are very cautious, though, hopping around quite cleverly from cover to cover while never rushing forward. While this means you can't simply go back around a corner and shoot them all as they follow you around, since they just won't follow you, sometimes their caution goes too far. Like when I'm on the verge of death and one shot would kill me, I can wait a millimeter out of their line of sight and they're not brave enough to follow and finish me off. But this is so much better than the games where they do just mindlessly follow you.

With human Rage is very typical game. With mutants is like a new fucking Doom and show how good id used to be...

Locke_211

Metal-Geo said:
I'm not quite sure what the achievement is, but
there's another town you'll get to, that also has its own races.

Headshots are less effective than you would've come to expect from a first person shooter. If you use the fatboy (fatmamma?) bullets, you'll easily kill bandits with a single shot in the head. But otherwise, it might take a shot or two.
:p

I've found with the Authority soldiers, on Hard at least, it consistently takes two fatboy headshots - one to knock of the helmet, the other to kill them, which seems fair enough.

tci

Locke_211 said:
I found it simpel to flank them. Also very easy to trick them or run straight into them and make them run from you.

The hit detection and damages on the AI is impressive though. The rest is prettty standard. But there might be more challeging enemies later in the game that I haven't gotten to yet.

Locke_211

Oh, I also managed to get the trophy/achievement for killing a soldier during its jetpack descent without doing anything at all! The first time I was in the middle of a fight with some, the trophy suddenly popped up. I guess it was friendly fire!

StuBurns

Banned
Eight hours, ten minutes. Not bad. The last level is weak, but I don't think it's quite as bad as everyone made out, it just seems worse because the level before it was so good I think. Looking forward to Rage 2.

Gravijah

StuBurns said:
Eight hours, ten minutes. Not bad. The last level is weak, but I think think it's quite as bad as everyone made out, it just seems worse because the level before it was so good I think. Looking forward to Rage 2.

man what the hell i've put nearly 5 hours in and i'm still in wellspring.

Locke_211 said:

Several apparently.

http://rage.wikia.com/wiki/Wasteland_Sewer_Missions_(DLC)

Vlodril

the time varies in all games from player to player. I did 15 hours to finish. Did all side quests. Didn't do all the races or the sewers.

Prodigal

Banned
14 hours in and I still haven't fought anyone from the Authority yet!

Been savoring every moment of this game and taking my time, exploring every nook and cranny. Loving it!

JaseC

The campaign took me just under 15 hours to complete, I'd say (extrapolated from the 14:24 play time of my last autosave and the estimated 20ish minutes it took me to complete the final level). I did everything bar collecting all the cards (I did my best, but I clearly wasn't thorough enough) and recipes.

Edit: Steam says 22 hours, but that includes a game restart and the time spent paused to attend to real life.

I spent about sixteen hours in wellspring. I did all the sewers (there's seven of them in the first wasteland... some were a bitch to find even with pointers). All the races. All the job postings (including the ones where you go back to the sewers and clean things out. I think I got all the floating sentry things you jump into. All the Stanley Delivery things. I got the defib speed upgrade from the guy in the bar. I played a few rounds of the collectable card game. I tried and failed to play the knife game again and again. I took out all of the gun nest towers, and did it again when the game put them back at a certain point.

I'm sure people did all that quicker than me... but I was really enjoying myself. Just reached subway town last night and accepted the first mission there before I turned in for the day.

msv

StuBurns said:
Pulse rockets home in and one shot em. Just trash one or two on the way and race to the entrance, hop out and run in.

Seriously WTF at
the ending levels. 'Upgraded mutants' for serious? Holy fuck was that disappointing. Just tons and tons of them and you can easily take them out with your fists. Never used any guns on the muties, because they drain your ammo like crazy, plus you can one or two shot them very easily. So here I am, ending stages, fighting with fists, while I'm saving all my ammo, and especially my BFG round (which I hadn't even used yet). Kill of all the mutants. Activate. END.
That was an extremely disappointing. I absolutely loved most all of the gameplay in all the different hideouts. This doesn't erase that at all, but it's just one more thing in the game that just feels like it shouldn't be there.

Mr_eX

I'm at around 12 hours in and I just used the spider sentries for the first time and they're amazing. I can't believe I waited till now to try them.

Here is my run through the distillery side quest where I used the spider sentries for the first time. It's from the 2nd half of the game so if you don't want any location spoilers don't watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP9Qkn8t3K0

garath

The mini games are pretty addicting. I ran through a bunch of races yesterday so immediately after I got my cuprino I practically maxxed it.

I did the stupid dice game for almost 30 minutes. I couldn't stop hitting Roll!

Going to try the card game today.

plagiarize said:
I spent about sixteen hours in wellspring. I did all the sewers (there's seven of them in the first wasteland... some were a bitch to find even with pointers). All the races. All the job postings (including the ones where you go back to the sewers and clean things out. I think I got all the floating sentry things you jump into. All the Stanley Delivery things. I got the defib speed upgrade from the guy in the bar. I played a few rounds of the collectable card game. I tried and failed to play the knife game again and again. I took out all of the gun nest towers, and did it again when the game put them back at a certain point.

Holy shit, there's more than like one sewer!?

The only one I found was right in front of Ark site, with the dude standing in front it it (you get a job on the board for it).
There's more though?

Gravijah

garath said:
The mini games are pretty addicting. I ran through a bunch of races yesterday so immediately after I got my cuprino I practically maxxed it.

I did the stupid dice game for almost 30 minutes. I couldn't stop hitting Roll!

Going to try the card game today.

the dice is addicting because more often than not you're gonna win money, it just... takes time.

also, where is the finger filet game? not in wellspring?

JaseC

Gravijah said:
i wish i could do the sewers, but i'm a dirty rental peasant.

Given how crap DLC generally is, I was surprised at how (relatively) meaty they were. There are 9 in total and you can blast your way through them twice (once to loot the place and later as a side-job to permanently rid the area of enemies).

AgentOtaku said:

The only one I found was right in front of Ark site, with the dude standing in front it it (you get a job on the board for it).
There's more though?

Yep.

AgentOtaku said:

There's more though?
yeah! there's seven in the first wastelands. not sure how many in the eastern ones. i didn't find them all by myself, used short text descriptions to help me find the last couple i was missing, but even then it wasn't super easy. once i figured out that what i THOUGHT were the sewers entrances were actually the sewer EXITS, it made finding the entrances easier. the exits are often a bit more obvious than the entrances. so if you see one you want to hunt around nearby to find the way in.

Wallach

Prodigal said:
My friend's having a rough time with Rage crashing pretty frequently. We were just playing coop and after we beat it it kicked him out and crashed on him while it was loading. He's got the latest drivers too.

Specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz, 12.0 GB DDR3, Radeon HD 6870 1 GB

Any ideas?

He might have the RAGE performance drivers but not the V2 RAGE drivers. Have him double check, that crash-during-loading bug was a problem with the first RAGE-specific drivers.

Top Bottom