• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

i really wish i could bring spider bots between levels. and i really wish i could take a spider bot through mutant tv with me.

not cause i can't hang without them, i can, but because i hate having to euthanise the poor bastards. if you saw how mad i get when an enemy kills one of my friends you'd get what i mean.

it's like, buddy, i could leave you here in these sewers forever, or i can pull out this ordance pack and at least recycle some of you into a new friend.

if they aren't dead you should be able to put them back in your inventory :(

to the spider-bot that died alone because i didn't know he couldn't follow me into the first mutant bash arena, and who got trapped behind the closed door.

this one's for you buddy.

pours one out.

*sniff*

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Only a few hours in but I am liking what I've played.

One question I have is is it even worth to drive around to explore or should I just go from one point to the other? Is the world that open?

Wallach

Guts Of Thor said:
Only a few hours in but I am liking what I've played.

One question I have is is it even worth to drive around to explore or should I just go from one point to the other? Is the world that open?

I definitely recommend exploring around. You'll find collector cards, randomized small events, various loot and sewer entrances (if you have access to the sewers).

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I have to say the graphics are really growing on me. The mega texturing really works in creating a real organic diverse realistic world. The first time I entered Wellsprings, my jaw dropped. You know when a dev shows some amazing concept art of a level and then you actually get to play the level it's just a pared down version of the concept art. Well, in this game it actually looks like the original concept art.
I think graphically, it's the best looking game I've ever played. Stunning really.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Gravijah said:
i honestly don't understand the hate this game is getting.
Most of the hate seems to be directed at the PC technical issues. The reviewers, on the other hand, seem to find it slightly above average. For me? One of the best games I've played all year. It's doing just what I wanted.

Gravijah said:
i honestly don't understand the hate this game is getting.
eh. is it though? i don't think the reviews of this have been anything like as rough as what Alice got earlier this year. that's really the only time i can think of when it seemed like everyone on GAF who gave the game a chance thought it was much better than the reviews suggested, aside from a couple of people that agreed with them.

Rage does have most of the faults that reviewers are pointing out. it's more an issue with the scoring system that a fault is seen as something that HAS to be subtracted from the score.

Rage's faults are completely irrelevant to me when I'm playing it, because it's damn fun. i wasn't hyped for the game. i was expecting it to be a solid 8 if you will, but it's drawn me right in. I don't normally go 'oh shit is that the time' even on games I love (and would rate higher than Rage) but that happened to me last night and i'm paying the price for it today.

Is Rage flawed? Sure. Was the launch on PC a clusterfuck? Absolutely. Is the second hub a bit uninspired compared to the first? Uhuh. Is the world not really that open? Yep. Is the lighting a step back from ID Tech 4? Sure seems that way. Is there a lot of back tracking to and fro? Yeah, espescially at the start before the first wasteland fully opens up.

Does any of that really matter when the minute to minute gameplay is so fucking good? Not to me.

But if I was writing a review, I'd probably waffle on about all that too.

Wallach

CitizenCope said:
Is the Anarchy edition the regular edition? I didn't pre order and paid $59.99. Did they hand me something I wasn't supposed to get?

I think all of the first-run copies are Anarchy Edition, not just pre-orders.

Gravijah

hate probably wasn't the right word, but i dunno. reviewers seem to be reviewing it based on what they want it to be, and not what it is.

and what is it? some of the best pure gameplay around.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
CitizenCope said:
Is the Anarchy edition the regular edition? I didn't pre order and paid $59.99. Did they hand me something I wasn't supposed to get?
All first run copies are anarchy. Which is good, because you get the fists of rage, which are fucking RIDICULOUS.

Gravijah said:
hate probably wasn't the right word, but i dunno. reviewers seem to be reviewing it based on what they want it to be, and not what it is.

People like Jeff Cannata and Brad Shoemaker love the game. That's all I care about.

Wallach

Gravijah said:

Gameplay doesn't matter that much to reviewers anymore. The big difference is that this game doesn't hide behind RPG tropes so reviewers don't immediately try and apologize for all its flaws.

DaBuddaDa

Gravijah said:
The most recent Rebel FM has Arthur Gies, one of the more negative reviewers of Rage, get plowed by the other podcasters for his vague and unfair critiques of the game. It was nice to hear.

Wallach said:
Gameplay doesn't matter that much to reviewers anymore. The big difference is that this game doesn't hide behind RPG tropes so reviewers don't immediately try and apologize for all its flaws.
Derivative or unoriginal gameplay don't go well with some reviewers.

Regarding Rage, isn't what Rage is doing? Employing very superficial RPG elements.
Wallach said:
Looking at metacritic, I can't say I agree with that.
Sorry im not following, could you be more specific.

Wallach

Refreshment.01 said:

Regarding Rage, isn't what Rage is doing? Employing very superficial RPG elements.

Where? The closest thing they borrow from RPGs is a simplistic quest system to manage objectives.

Wallach said:
Systems that are typically featured on RPG's. Looting, crafting, upgrading, character enhancing, optional quests. Of course handled very superficially in the game.
Wallach said:
I asked in the edit, but what you mean here?
Wallach said:
The big difference is that this game doesn't hide behind RPG tropes so reviewers don't immediately try and apologize for all its flaws.
What are those games that "hide behind RPG tropes"?
T Primex said:
So does it get more varied later on?
No, that's pretty much it. But some parts are better than others so maybe you'll enjoy what's to come a bit more.

T Primex

Neo Member
I'm only about five hours in and been doing a lot of the races mostly in Wellspring but does this game get anymore varied. I went into it think it would be up there with my GOTY LA Noire and Gears 3 but for me it's no where close to being GOTY. Maybe I was just a little hyped. I'm still digging it a lot don't get me wrong. It's very gamey/shootery and I like it as a bite sized game, an hour or so a night. It also has me on the edge of my seat with it's combat and atmosphere but the main missions I've played are all pretty the same. Enter dungeon, kill gang, leave dungeon. All the enemy AI seem to do the same thing over and over. Guys will guns will pop and duck over and over and melee enemies just rush you, once you get it down to one or two guys they'll retreat further into the dungeon.

So does it get more varied later on?

Gravijah said:

Yes. Some people are more concerned with pigeon holing it and comparing it to every other game instead of judging it on its merits.

Locke_211

Did anyone else picking up the Anarchy Edition also get the Collector's Pack thing too? Not seen anyone mention that here.

For me it was a bit of a no brainer, since the extra weapons AND the Collector's Pack added up to only £2 more than the standard edition. It has a comic with a reasonably interesting story, which fills in a bit of background detail about what the Authority might be getting up to. And a Making of DVD, which I've not seen yet but will probably watch once I've finished the game.

Hela

Just finished the game and I can't say that I expected much in terms of a plotline, but what a non-story with a nonsense abrupt ending.
At least the core mechanic, shooting, feels just right, though aside of the automatic shotgun I didn't really use the other weapons much.

Locke_211

Hela said:
Just finished the game and I can't say that I expected much in terms of a plotline, but what a non-story with a nonsense abrupt ending.
At least the core mechanic, shooting, feels just right, though aside of the automatic shotgun I didn't really use the other weapons much.

On Hard, I only found the shotguns of much use against the mutants. Against anyone with guns, I preferred to stay long range and use the Assault Rifle or the Authority Machine Gun, since they can cut you down quite quickly if you get too close.

Wallach

Refreshment.01 said:
Systems that are typically featured on RPG's. Looting, crafting, upgrading, character enhancing, optional quests. Of course handled very superficially in the game.

I don't consider a lot of these things RPG elements. Looting, crafting and upgrades are things that don't really tie back specifically to RPGs. Wolfenstein 3-D had about as much looting as this game does.

I asked in the edit, but what you mean here?

Two games that come to mind immediately are Mass Effect and Fallout 3. Both of them scored around ~90 Metacritic average and both of them enormous gameplay problems that were largely ignored just because they were called RPGs.

As far as unoriginal gameplay, let's use Bioshock as an example since you brought it up earlier. That game doesn't do anything new from a gameplay perspective whatsoever. 96 metacritic average. Reviewers don't care.

Mr_eX

Refreshment.01 said:

Sorry im not following, could you be more specific.
Dead Space seemed to do pretty well with critics.

DaBuddaDa

Refreshment.01 said:
Fallout 3, Mass Effect and Deus Ex have terrible shooting mechanics and feel, but that's OK because "they're RPGs." They are unfair excuses, like "It looks OK...for a Wii game" is an excuse for a shitty looking game, or "It's relatively bug free...for an open world game" is an excuse for a really buggy, janky game.

Wallach said:
I don't consider a lot of these things RPG elements. Looting, crafting and upgrades are things that don't really tie back specifically to RPGs. Wolfenstein 3-D had about as much looting as this game does.
Not much of a good counter argument. I cited a group of elements (Looting, crafting, upgrading, character enhancing, optional quests) that are associated to RPG's that are present on Rage. You replayed centering just on one.
Wallach said:
Two games that come to mind immediately are Mass Effect and Fallout 3. Both of them scored around ~90 Metacritic average and both of them enormous gameplay problems that were largely ignored just because they were called RPGs.
Thanks for citing the games, it's more clear now what you are trying to say.

Wallach said:
As far as unoriginal gameplay, let's use Bioshock as an example since you brought it up earlier. That game doesn't do anything new from a gameplay perspective whatsoever. 96 metacritic average. Reviewers don't care.
This is really interesting. Will you please answer me the following question with a straight answer.

Why would Bioshock a game from a lesser known studio than id, with a lot smaller marketing campaign get superior ratings and more critical acclaim than Rage then?

What's the best way to make money including abusing the save system?
Once I'm finished with my normal run I want to try it on the hardest difficulty but I want to build an army of advanced sentry bots.

Derrick01

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:
Fallout 3, Mass Effect and Deus Ex have terrible shooting mechanics and feel, but that's OK because "they're RPGs." They are unfair excuses, like "It looks OK...for a Wii game" is an excuse for a shitty looking game, or "It's relatively bug free...for an open world game" is an excuse for a really buggy, janky game.

I don't see why it's unfair. They're setting out to be RPGs first and have many more important and complex things to work on besides shooting people. We're slowly getting to even ground but I always expect RPGs to work on the RPG side first, otherwise we end up with games like ME2.

Solo

I can't say I ever had a problem with money. In fact, just before I went to Capital Prime (which is where I am about to pick up from in a few minutes to finish the game) I blew $6000 on BFG ammo knowing that I wouldn't need money any more. I am going to BFG every last fucker in Capital Prime.

How to make money? Kill bandit cars, do sidequests, do minigames, loot bodies. Pretty standard stuff, really.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I think some people are just down on it and have been from the beginning. Everything from those people about the game is jaded and cynical, the best they can do is backhanded compliments.

I look at the quest system, the hub system as a more creative way to add context to a traditional shooter. Some have observed its very Zelda like in how the game world works.

When an action fighting game like Darksiders uses that formula to round out its design the overall impression wasn't so negative it was generally positive.
Rage does something something similar as a shooter and some are so down on it..just seems like they just want to focus on the flaws and not the whole thing.

Its the same issue with lack of highres textures.. most of the time this game looks stunning,Art direction,animations,world assets..so many WOW moments.

But if you go by some of the haters its like this game cameout looking like quake2.

DaBuddaDa

Derrick01 said:
I don't see why it's unfair. They're setting out to be RPGs first and have many more important and complex things to work on besides shooting people. We're slowly getting to even ground but I always expect RPGs to work on the RPG side first, otherwise we end up with games like ME2.
You shouldn't get a pass on bad mechanics because you're trying something different. If you want to incorporate shooting into your RPG, good luck, I hope you pull it off well, but it will be compared to the best in the shooter genre because like it or not, it's the same mechanic you're playing with. Bioware themselves have said the exact same thing: they know they need to improve their combat because they know their game is going to be compared to the best shooters on the market and they need their game to have parity.

Mr_eX said:
Dead Space seemed to do pretty well with critics.
the first Dead Space didn't have the best controls or gameplay. it's one of my favourites, so i'm not bagging on it, but horror games traditionally get a bit of a pass for having janky gameplay IF they're scary since many of us that buy them don't buy them for fun minute to minute gameplay, but we buy them for the interactive frights.

still, Dead Space 2 controlled great and had much improved gameplay and it was a better game for it, but it's still a point of debate.

calling Rage's gameplay 'derivative' and 'unoriginal' isn't an untrue point. like every FPS its derivative of IDs work in the genre, and of Halo's influences. fortunately it ISN'T derivative of COD.

i just don't think derivative and unoriginaly are fair criticisms of an FPS that has better gun play than any other FPS i've played this gen.

originality should be praised, but unoriginality shouldn't be a critical point for any game that's really fun.

going back to Dead Space... is it completely derivative of Aliens and Resident Evil 4? sure is. doesn't stop it being a great game though does it?

WrikaWrek

Banned
One of worst endings to a game ever.

Game was awesome, but ID isn't gonna get any new fans based on this. Why bother making a sequel?

Just make a different game with the same combat feel.

StuBurns

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:
You shouldn't get a pass on bad mechanics because you're trying something different. If you want to incorporate shooting into your RPG, good luck, I hope you pull it off well, but it will be compared to the best in the shooter genre because like it or not, it's the same mechanic you're playing with. Bioware themselves have said the exact same thing: they know they need to improve their combat because they know their game is going to be compared to the best shooters on the market and they need their game to have parity.
FO3 is as much of a shooter as Rage is an RPG, if you can shit on FO3 for being a bad shooter, people can shit on Rage for being a bad RPG.

Wallach

Refreshment.01 said:
Not much of a good counter argument. I cited a group of elements (Looting, crafting, upgrading, character enhancing, optional quests) that are associated to RPG's that are present on Rage.

You also cited things that are used in all manner of video games because they're not inrtistically RPG elements. Metroid is not "borrowing from RPGs" because Samus earns permanent upgrades as she explores the planet. Those are things that are pretty much universal. Quests are probably the one thing I think this game borrows from RPGs and it does so very lightly.

This is really interesting. Will you please answer me the following question with a straight answer.

Why would Bioshock a game from a lesser known studio than id, with a lot smaller marketing campaign get superior ratings and more critical acclaim than Rage then?

Because of exactly what I said earlier - gameplay means less and less to reviewers nowadays. Narrative and graphics have taken over as the main considerations to a game's review success.

DaBuddaDa

bloodydrake said:
I think some people are just down on it and have been from the beginning. Everything from those people about the game is jaded and cynical, the best they can do is backhanded compliments.

I look at the quest system, the hub system as a more creative way to add context to a traditional shooter. Some have observed its very Zelda like in how the game world works.

When an action fighting game like Darksiders uses that formula to round out its design the overall impression wasn't so negative it was generally positive.
Rage does something something similar as a shooter and some are so down on it..just seems like they just want to focus on the flaws and not the whole thing.

Its the same issue with lack of highres textures.. most of the time this game looks stunning,Art direction,animations,world assets..so many WOW moments.

But if you go by some of the haters its like this game cameout looking like quake2.
I think a lot of them are people who never had much affinity for any classic id game and want to be contrarian to prove some sort of point on the passage of time, like a film school kid taking a puff on a cigarette and proclaiming "Well, I don't think Citizen Kane is very good at all!"

StuBurns said:
FO3 is as much of a shooter as Rage is an RPG, if you can shit on FO3 for being a bad shooter, people can shit on Rage for being a bad RPG.
of course, but i think his point is that reviewers DIDN'T shit on FO3 for being a bad shooter.

DaBuddaDa

plagiarize said:
of course, but i think his point is that reviewers DIDN'T shit on FO3 for being a bad shooter.
This.

And Fallout 3 was trying much harder to be a shooter than Rage is trying to be a RPG. Loot, NPCs and quests are not the defining characteristics of an RPG.

Derrick01

Banned
Yeah there was lots of complaining about being forced to use Vats because of the shitty normal shooting. People really hate die rolls when it comes to shooting/swinging accuracy.

StuBurns

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:
This.

And Fallout 3 was trying much harder to be a shooter than Rage is trying to be a RPG. Loot, NPCs and quests are not the defining characteristics of an RPG.
I completely disagree. FO3 has mostly optional real-time shooting, it has a quite traditional command based combat system they encourage you to use. And those are things that define RPGs, not those alone, but they're certainly factors.

jett

D-Member
I'm not sure how many hours I'm into the game, but I just finished Mutant Bash and I gotta say this is one awesome game, and probably the best FPS game I've played this generation, I can't think of any other I like better. And that's considering I'm playing a gimped version of the game with a crappy framerate thanks to borked AMD drivers. :p Driving feels really great(with a controller) and shooting is fantastic(with a mouse). PC version really has best of both worlds. Does the PS3 version support keyb/m by any chance?

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
StuBurns said:
Then he's wrong, I saw that criticism a lot.
ya but the critisim went like this..."even tho the shooting leaves something to be desired this game is awesome 9.5/10"

not "omg this shooters rpg elements are so superficial!I should mention the shootings the best all year " I guess I'll be nice and give it a 7/10

Gravijah

jett said:
I'm not sure how many hours I'm into the game, but I just finished Mutant Bash and I gotta say this is one awesome game, and probably the best FPS game I've played this generation, I can't think of any other I like better. And that's considering I'm playing a gimped version of the game with a crappy framerate thanks to borked AMD drivers. :p

mutant bash was fucking great, but a question regarding it:

is it possible to dodge that tentacle move the big ogre looking guy uses? i swear i couldn't doge it for shit.

StuBurns

Banned
bloodydrake said:
ya but the critisim went like this..."even tho the shooting leaves something to be desired this game is awesome 9.5/10"

not "omg this shooters rpg elements are so superficial!I should menionthe shootings the best all year " I guess I'll be nice and give it a 7/10
Maybe they think the game is much better than Rage, I certainly do. The same with BioShock.

Top Bottom