• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Metal-Geo

StuBurns said:
That's my next level, just the bridge to get to the door was pretty damn impressive.
I commited suicide after a few minutes. Saving this level for tomorrow.

What's more amazing, this game is running on a single HD 5870, 2560x1600 @ 60fps and 2xAA. And it still manages to produce some of the best eye candy I've seen.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Metal-Geo said:
Sweet mother of God. Jackal Canyon is perhaps the most beautiful level I've ever seen in a first person shooter. And the pacing is terrific.

Don't think I've ever loved a FPS more. <3

Jackal Canyon was probably my favorite level in the game. The train station and prison levels were also very good.

They should add a time attack mode or something where you can just pick the missions from the main menu. I'd love to go back and play through some of the dungeons again.

Grayman

I just played Jackal canyon, very nice looking and some fun vertical areas. The Gearhead levels had more gleeful in my face action but the jackals had cool zip lines. The subway level was also god tier because of imp ghouls and a bash brothers fight.

The level design is good but there are too many waste high walls and odd clipping points. I am really getting tired of games that do not let me hop a staircase railing or run up the center part between 2 escalators. For what is there I think it is better than most games but I would put Fear above it because Fear had multiple routes and backdoors in each set of rooms.

Is there a working /map command for single player? In Doom 3 it was kind enough to deck the player out with appropriate starting gear. If not someone needs to mod in a score attack type mode with level select once the SDK is out. As someone else pointed out the downtime is a positive feature but sometimes I do just want to replay level x without juggling a huge collection of saves(that I can't name)

see5harp

CozMick said:
Hmmm UE3 is infamous for texture pop-in...

Every single UE3 game I have ever played has had texture pop-in, sometimes really horrific examples like Gears 1,2 and sometimes 3.

Have you even played Rage on PS3? Nothing in Gears is even remotely close to being as bad as Rage. I'm talking turn your head slightly to the left. This is constant, not once per level. Nothing in Gears 3 was "horrific." I noticed it once during the start of a single scene. Gears 1 and 2 was once during the start of each level and multiplayer match.

Solo

Zefah said:
Jackal Canyon was probably my favorite level in the game. The train station and prison levels were also very good.

I have only reached, but not yet played Jackal Canyon. Best mission so far without a shadow of a doubt so far is the Blue Line Station. Pure carnage.

Teknoman

Wow. After installing the ATI preview drivers (PC talk I know...) playing the game at 60 fps with large texture cache is AMAZING. The enemies actually actively trying to dodge you while attacking and how detailed everything looks in action is great.

eshwaaz

Solo said:
Layout, art direction, encounters, and most important of all, pacing/flow, which is what id excels at.
I agree that the pacing/flow are very good in the "dungeons", but feel that the overall pacing of the game taken as a whole is quite uneven.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Solo said:
I have only reached, but not yet played Jackal Canyon. Best mission so far without a shadow of a doubt so far is the Blue Line Station. Pure carnage.

Yep, that was an awesome throwback to Doom, I think. Lots of more open areas with tons of enemies swarming you.

TheMan

So forgive my ignorance (haven't really been into pc games for years now), but does this game stand a chance of dethroning crysis as the king of pc graphics?

Echoplx

TheMan said:
So forgive my ignorance (haven't really been into pc games for years now), but does this game stand a chance of dethroning crysis as the king of pc graphics?

On a technical level, hell no. One could argue however that it is more aesthetically pleasing.

MrBig

TheMan said:
I personally think that The Witcher 2 dethroned Crysis quite a while ago, and that Rage is more impressive than TW2 in terms of aesthetics. Rage feels like concept art in motion with the game mechanics of a highly refined shooter dropped into it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
TheMan said:

Not even close, unless you want to venture into subjective territory.

I mean, RAGE doesn't even have real-time dynamic lighting or physics or anything.

You may as well be comparing Myst to DOOM. Sure Myst presents a much prettier picture, but it's all pre-rendered.

Solo

TheMan said:

No, but its a lot more visually appealing than Crysis. And The Witcher 2 is the king of PC graphics, not Crysis.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Zefah said:
You may as well be comparing Myst to DOOM. Sure Myst presents a much prettier picture, but it's all pre-rendered.

but thats an absolutely horrible analogy.

I'd say its better then vanilla Crysis since I don't think its fair to compare Rage to major graphical mods version of Crysis at this point.(apples to apples)
The Witcher 2 definitely has better Texture Detail and lighting effects, tho the scope of its levels cant compare with Rages.
Artistic direction they're both fantastic.

Derrick01

Banned
3chopl0x said:
On a technical level, hell no. One could argue however that it is more aesthetically pleasing.

It's definitely more visually imaginative and creative. The actual shooting feels better too.

Besides most people consider Witcher 2 to be graphics king now :p

Zefah said:
Not even close, unless you want to venture into subjective territory.

I mean, RAGE doesn't even have real-time dynamic lighting or physics or anything.

I don't get it how this game is getting high praise for its technical achievements (not talking about art) when it doesn't even have dynamic lighting and physics in this day and age. And on top of that texture pop-in issues on consoles.

I guess hit 60fps and its all glorious :/

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
bloodydrake said:
but thats an absolutely horrible analogy.

I'd say its better then vanilla Crysis since I don't think its fair to compare Rage to major graphical mods version.
The Witcher 2 definitely has better Texture Detail and lighting effects tho its scope of its levels cant compare with Rages.
Artistic direction they're both fantastic.

It's not a great analogy, but most analogies aren't.

Just about all of the visuals in RAGE are pre-baked textures, so I don't think it's unfair to call it mostly pre-rendered. Relatively low polygon count environments with pre-rendered and compressed images plastered on top of them. There's really not a whole lot going on technically.

The end result definitely produces some beautiful environments as long as you stand back. You can't interact with any of it, though.

TheMan said:
You have a pretty nice line on PC of games ready to spank Rage in terms of technical graphics, dare i say overall look also. Witcher 2, Crysis, GTA:IV with Nhancer and the hard hitting but often overlooked Metro 2033. For all the texture variety talk you hear about Rage, the underground cities of Metro have a pretty good amount of texture samples and at a much higher quality.

With the advanced depth of field and the Physx effects Metro some times gives me the impression im watching FF: Spirits Within. It looks that incredible.

Edit: and this very month Battle Field 3, just wait for that bad boy to stretch its muscles.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The lighting and volumetric effects in Metro 2033 were simply incredible.

Grayman

ONCE YOU BEAT THE BIG BADASSES AND
CLEAN OUT THE MOON BASE YOU'RE SUPPOSED
TO WIN, AREN'T YOU? AREN'T YOU? WHERE'S
YOUR FAT REWARD AND TICKET HOME? WHAT
THE HELL IS THIS? IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO
END THIS WAY!

Finished the game on Nightmare, my last save was at 13:14. The whole last level was weak but overall the game was awesome. Really want a level select so I can just jump into the fun instead of playing through the whole experience just to get to level x though.

I never did fire up my BFG because I expected a bigger fight at the end. Also I did not notice i could make an upgrade to boost my health until I was at the last fight. The game is very easy but also one of the best single player shooters I have played in years. I have to play some more but it may even be the best SP action shooter released since 1996.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I refuse to believe that the game ended as the developers originally intended. I highly suspect they simply chopped off a few levels and are either going to sell them as DLC, or will use them to get a head start on the sequel.

Grayman

TheMan said:
This game has trouble dethroning Doom 3 as id's best looking game. The character models are very nice and some people may prefer its art over other games but objectively it cannot even be put in the running for best graphics.

Zefah said:
The lighting and volumetric effects in Metro 2033 were simply incredible.
Best effects in the business probably. I know Metro's character models are not of everyone's liking, however texture work for the uniforms and armors is astonishing, how they feature movile and dangling parts. How well curved parts are presented by the tesselation. And how the models convey a real sense of weight like NPCs are making a real effort to move, can't recall something that compares. Firts game of a small studio called A4 no less.

5 bucks on Steam today. Hurry up.

Grayman

Zefah said:
I refuse to believe that the game ended as the developers originally intended. I highly suspect they simply chopped off a few levels and are either going to sell them as DLC, or will use them to get a head start on the sequel.
There has to be a crescendo or super boss missing, the elevator probably should have gone up another level to an arena of jetpack authority pig mutants, a bull mutant, and a stronger version of the tall authority guy. The whole capital prime design was boring hallways, maybe the whole mission was put together very quickly instead of just cutting levels.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Refreshment.01 said:
Best effects in the business probably. I know Metro's character models are not of everyone's liking, however texture work for the uniforms and armors is astonishing, how they feature movile and dangling parts. How well curved parts are conveyed by the tesselation. And how the models convey a real sense of wait like NPCs are making a real effort to move, can recall something that compares. Firts game of a small studio called A4 no less.

5 bucks on Steam today. Hurry up.

I should go replay that now that I have a better computer. Last time I went through it I was on a Core 2 Duo and a 4870. Now I'm on a i5 2500k and a 5870.

Xander51

LocoMrPollock said:
Oh. Carry on, then. Apologies.

No worries, I just took it as a general irritation at the end of the game, which I fully agree with.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it totally is from Doom! Good one!

I'm playing through this again on Nightmare...it's actually the first time I've done that with an id game. Although the shooting is great, I really love the feel of the Wingsticks...best boomerang/glaive weapon in games. Dark Sector came close but this nails it.

Zefah said:
I should go replay that now that I have a better computer. Last time I went through it I was on a Core 2 Duo and a 4870. Now I'm on a i5 2500k and a 5870.
You are set, only thing to watch out regarding performace is the advanced "dead" (depth) of field the most resource intensive effect. I don't know if at the the time you played the DLC was out, in any case go for ranger difficulty since it takes out the sight cursor and the enemies seem less stupid cause god only knows the radiation made those guys complete idiots.
Brandon F said:
So as an AMD 4890 owner I guess it's 360 recommended then?
PC baby boy, things are improving for Rage and they only can get better and lessen load times. Also consider you might want to revisit the game when you have juicier hardware, so PC all the way is the right way.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Xander51 said:
No worries, I just took it as a general irritation at the end of the game, which I fully agree with.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it totally is from Doom! Good one!

I'm playing through this again on Nightmare...it's actually the first time I've done that with an id game. Although the shooting is great, I really love the feel of the Wingsticks...best boomerang/glaive weapon in games. Dark Sector came close but this nails it.

The Wingblades are so awesome. Honestly, they feel almost like a cheat since they are so much better than most of the weapons and often result in one-hit kills.

Zefah said:
The Wingblades are so awesome. Honestly, they feel almost like a cheat since they are so much better than most of the weapons and often result in one-hit kills.
You know another aspect of gameplay that becomes "cheap" or its abused by the player is the defib, it feels the player with such over confidence. I like the concept a lot but the mini game is way too easy, either it needs to be harder or put a chance element into it.

In conclusion i like the mechanic but it needs some refinement.
Gravijah said:
the only major complaint i have with the ps3 version is that the loading times really suck and can be quite frequent. sometimes it makes me not even want to do another race.
Speaking of which. Anyone knows a link with test on how the load times are reduced in the PS3 version with an SSD? Comparisons with the 360 version would be interesting also.

Gravijah

the only major complaint i have with the ps3 version is that the loading times really suck and can be quite frequent. sometimes it makes me not even want to do another race.

Solo

Just finished the Abandoned Distillery. 17 hours so far. I'll probably finish it tomorrow or the day after by the latest.

Prodigal

Banned
My friend's having a rough time with Rage crashing pretty frequently. We were just playing coop and after we beat it it kicked him out and crashed on him while it was loading. He's got the latest drivers too.

Specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz, 12.0 GB DDR3, Radeon HD 6870 1 GB

Any ideas?

Prodigal

Banned
Anyone know where the Rage save files are located? I wanna back mine up before starting a new game (my friend wants to try it out) and it says "you will lose your current progress" if I click new game...

MrBig

Prodigal said:
Anyone know where the Rage save files are located? I wanna back mine up before starting a new game (my friend wants to try it out) and it says "you will lose your current progress" if I click new game...
C:\Users\yourname\Saved Games\id Software\Rage\base\savegame

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
OverHeat said:
What do the title of the game as to do with the actual story of the game?

There are a lot of angry people in this game.

Metal-Geo

jambo said:
Picked up a copy on my lunch break, can't wait to get it running tonight.

Does SLI work yet or still nothing?
Multi GPU is still a no go, from what I recall. But you shouldn't be too worried. This game runs at 60fps very quickly. That is, after you've changed the settings in your GPU control panel accordingly to RAGE's likening. :p

I'm at a constant 60fps, 2560x1600 resolution and 2xAA. All this on a single HD 5870. (I have CrossFireX disabled)

Top Bottom