• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Finally started playing this, was wondering what the latest re: config files was. I know the game was patched to add some rudimentary config settings, but even with my texture cache on large I'm noticing lo-res textures all over the place. How do I remedy? Has the Rage config article on GeForce.com been negated by the patch?

Scythian said:
Seriously, I just had my first Co-op match and it was a blast. I think we had a bug at the end, because it ended kinda abruptly, in the middle of a firefight I froze, the screen turned white and the scoreboard appeared.
It's just pure gunplay, the way Rage is most enjoyable.

More people need to get in on the co-op with this game. It's obscenely fun, and I echo your sentiments about the gunplay.

Please can we have more levels id?

Grayman

metsallica said:
Finally started playing this, was wondering what the latest re: config files was. I know the game was patched to add some rudimentary config settings, but even with my texture cache on large I'm noticing lo-res textures all over the place. How do I remedy? Has the Rage config article on GeForce.com been negated by the patch?
This cleaned up my shit better than I was doing with just vt page sizes http://donotargue.com/cfg-makers/rage/

watch out for 16x AA if your framerate dives.

angrybus

Banned
Gaf, I'm at the point where I need to talk to Portman in Subway Town -- how much longer does this last? Want to send it back asap..

edit: just after Jackal Canyon..

MEATER

angrybus said:
how much longer does this last? Want to send it back asap..

The end is nigh...

If I remember correctly its just two more missions, one of which isn't even a real level. Guess about an hour max?

And if you want a hint...

Don't bother saving up BFG ammo!

MEATER

Poimandres said:
More people need to get in on the co-op with this game.

Hell, yeah! It's fun, fun, FUN!

Since none of my friends got the game (they all either hated on Doom³ or got scared off by the reviews...) I only played via Quick Match so far and had little to no trouble finding games.

Due to this I missed on all the unlocks and progress though and just got thrown into random legends on nightmare...

Still having a blast! The shooting is just great and the challenge is about right!

Poimandres said:
Please can we have more levels id?

Yes, please! DLC!!!

Or even better: an Editor so people can make new one's for up to four players!

Eurocult

Finally got around to playing it (PS3 version) It's hard to put down after the first hour or so. Not too into the driving parts, but the indoor stuff & the weapons are just outstanding.

Linkup

Boards of Canada said:
High-res texture pack isn't happening. Carmack replied to me on Twitter and said they tested it, but there was no more detail in the files. So now they're going to "fake" detail by adding "detail textures" which... meh. I'd rather they not.

Detail texture? What that does even mean? I remember older games having a detail texture option, thought it was just better filtering, but they are already doing that.

NBtoaster

Linkup said:
Detail texture? What that does even mean? I remember older games having a detail texture option, thought it was just better filtering, but they are already doing that.

It's usually a simple repeated layer over the texture that results in a grainy look up close.

It was everywhere in early UE3 games.

MEATER said:
Yes, please! DLC!!!

Or even better: an Editor so people can make new one's for up to four players!

Woah, I hadn't even thought of this possibility!

Any word on what the mod tools which actually entail?

Grayman

Poimandres said:
Woah, I hadn't even thought of this possibility!

Any word on what the mod tools which actually entail?
the editor sounded like it was more of an all in approach than previous games which just had radiant for bsp mapping and texture/shader placement.

For all older games the source to the gameplay side was all released, like for Quake 2 game.dll code was put out while quake2.exe wasn't.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Finally finished Rage last night and, man, even knowing that the ending was poor couldn't save me from disappointment. The game really does just end. I cannot believe how worthless and unsatisfying the end of the game really was. The last level was actually rather cool looking too and there was a lot of potential for exploring that type of environment, but alas, after 20 minutes the game is over.

They didn't even bother to implement a boss fight of some sort.

As much as I loved most of the game, I can't deny that it felt completely unfinished. The world was nowhere near as fleshed out as it could have been, the characters went nowhere, and the story was paper thin. What was the point of introducing us to any of the characters when they delivered nothing more than a handful of missions before disappearing for good. The game also failed to deliver any motivation for fighting "the Authority". What exactly makes them so evil?

It's true that id has never traditionally delivered in these areas, but they've created a very strong world and ultimately did nothing with it. The gunplay is phenomenal and that does save the game, but it could definitely have been something more.

gl0w

I bought the game yesterday, after playing for a few hours i can say i love it... the only problem is the constant texture popin... it's very very annoying.

Any word on some patch to fix it? It's really bad IMO.

PS3 version...

dark10x said:
Finally finished Rage last night and, man, even knowing that the ending was poor couldn't save me from disappointment. The game really does just end. I cannot believe how worthless and unsatisfying the end of the game really was. The last level was actually rather cool looking too and there was a lot of potential for exploring that type of environment, but alas, after 20 minutes the game is over.

As much as I loved most of the game, I can't deny that it felt completely unfinished. The world was nowhere near as fleshed out as it could have been, the characters went nowhere, and the story was paper thin. What was the point of introducing us to any of the characters when they delivered nothing more than a handful of missions before disappearing for good. The game also failed to deliver any motivation for fighting "the Authority". What exactly makes them so evil?

It's true that id has never traditionally delivered in these areas, but they've created a very strong world and ultimately did nothing with it. The gunplay is phenomenal and that does save the game, but it could definitely have been something more.
basically, the Authority stacked the deck. all the arks were supposed to come back at the same time. instead, they made sure that only the arks they wanted came back first, allowing them to seize control of everything. then by controlling the release of subsequent arks they got to keep power. it was a military take over of the world, basically.

gl0w said:
I bought the game yesterday, after playing for a few hours i can say i love it... the only problem is the constant texture popin... it's very very annoying.

Any word on some patch to fix it? It's really bad IMO.

PS3 version...

Texture popping is due to the id Tech 5 engine and its Virtual Texturing technology (and to the hardware limitations of the consoles), so it's not patchable.

I've spent an hour with the ps3 version. I now know how people feel that loathe screen tearing. I can't stand the texture pop in. And if it wasn't for the pop in, I could go and say it could be the best looking game on consoles.

dejan

Played through the first mission on pc (Team Green) and so far I've been spared from any major technical problems. 60fps, no stuttering, no tearing. I've noticed some slight texture pop-in occasionaly, tho. I'm not using any custom config, just cranked up the settings to max and ran with it. Maybe it's because I decided to play this with a controller (I know, I know) on my plasma, but man was I surprised how good the game looks. We've all seen the screenshots in the High-Res thread and i can say now that screenshots don't do the game any justice. To early to judge the gameplay, but the little shooting I've done so far felt good. I gotta say, I'm already in love with the world id created. I don't know how I feel about the exaggarated character animations during converations yet.

I have a question, I started on normal since I decided to play with a controller and I rarely play fps with a controller. Although I had no problems clearing that bandit hideout, I'm still in doubt if I chose the right difficulty setting. With mouse and keyboard I'd go with hard on my first playthrough. What say you, GAF?

MEATER

dejan said:
I have a question, I started on normal since I decided to play with a controller and I rarely play fps with a controller. Although I had no problems clearing that bandit hideout, I'm still in doubt if I chose the right difficulty setting. With mouse and keyboard I'd go with hard on my first playthrough. What say you, GAF?

You can turn the difficulty back down at any time if you hit a wall. Will prevent you from getting the according achievement in the end though.

So I'd say pump it up to hard with a pad or even nightmare with mouse/keyboard!

dark10x said:

first, you should have spoilered some of that.

second, yeah i agree with you.
I got to pre-Authority Bridge last week and was saving the last mission for tonight expecting a nice hour long challenge with some epic battle... After pressing that last panel and seeing the 2 achevements pop up I literally said "what the fuck, thats it?"

I don't think I'll be doing another play through for a while. BF3, uncharted3, skyrim and my backlog? nope, not for a while. im glad it was only $40

Dmax3901

So my friend wanted to give RAGE a go, he started his new game and I left him to it. I come back an hour or so later to find out that cause I was only saving with quicksave, he'd inadvertently saved over my game.

If anyone could somehow upload (email?) a save file somewhere around arriving at Subway Town, I would be eternally grateful.

Just started this up, about 3 hours in and Im sucked into it. Such an amazing game so far. Question: How do I access the subway tunnels though?

Effect

Have ID and/or Bethesda said anything about there being any DLC that continues the campaign or gives a more satisfying ending? Or any fixes to the texture pop in?

Victrix

*beard*
Effect said:
Have ID and/or Bethesda said anything about there being any DLC that continues the campaign or gives a more satisfying ending? Or any fixes to the texture pop in?

You would seriously _pay_ them to finish the game?

Dalauz

i Just unistalled it, fuck Carmack, fuck ID, fuck AMD/ATI

that was 59,90 (its like 250 for me) wasted

after 1 week of full editing .txt with notepad, drivers switching and etc, and 5 hours PLAYED (at launch) i booted the game and was unplayabled for some weird reason

gcubed

So... any tips on how to win the rally's? Its pissing me off to no end and they are the only ones left I need to win. I suck at them

gcubed said:
So... any tips on how to win the rally's? Its pissing me off to no end and they are the only ones left I need to win. I suck at them
They stopped me from playing further yesterday as well.

Oh and the sniper mission in wellspring, damn.

gcubed said:
There are areas you can farm for points while the AI scrambles for whatever's available. Find the farmable areas and just sit tight until a point shows up near you.

bigace33

Dalauz said:
i Just unistalled it, fuck Carmack, fuck ID, fuck AMD/ATI

that was 59,90 (its like 250 for me) wasted

after 1 week of full editing .txt with notepad, drivers switching and etc, and 5 hours PLAYED (at launch) i booted the game and was unplayabled for some weird reason
It was that bad for you? I'm having a blast and think the game is amazing. Using an ati radeon 6850. Did the little trick where you set the values to 0 and haven't had a hiccup since.

highrider

Banned
great game despite the incredibly shit ending. i would also echo the sentiments of others that the co-op mode is well done and fun. can you unlock the co-op missions by beating them solo? i've only played through the first and none of my friends have this game. it would make a good instant action mode if so.

gcubed

There are areas you can farm for points while the AI scrambles for whatever's available. Find the farmable areas and just sit tight until a point shows up near you.
That's what I ended up doing, had to restart a few times to figure out where a good spot was. Finally finished them all.

Despite the texture loading the game IMO is beautiful for a 60fps game and one of the best levels I've played in an fps in a while (jackyl0

Cystm

Just finished the game. Thought it was excellent, already known hardware issues aside.

The scope of the project is really impressive and I think they did a fantastic job capturing the feeling of being in a post apocalyptic wasteland.
Most people will tend to disagree with me on this, but runnning on fairly old hardware -

Q6600 OC to 4.5 ghz
8 gigs ram
twin frozr 560 ti
and an old ass wd cavier blue hd

I thought the graphics were amazing and was totally impressed by the new ID engine.

The game itself had flaws (How the fuck did anyone of these people survive until you should up?) but overall I had fun. I will have to give CO-OP a try at some point.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I hope id reflects on their experiences with RAGE and come back swinging for their next game. Technology-wise, gameplay-wise, and setting-wise, this is their most forgettable game by a long shot. I had fun with it, but I doubt I'll remember much of it this time next year.

I just hope their next title doesn't take six years to complete.

Metal-Geo

Cystm said:
(How the fuck did anyone of these people survive until you should up?)
Apophis didn't do as much damage as humanity had expected it would. It's very hard to simulate 'the end of the world by an asteroid', so I guess they just expected and prepared for the worst. Also,
a lot of Ark survivors were awaken years before you. Some joined the authority, some captured and some actually helped repopulating the earth I guess.

I'm replaying the game on Nightmare now, and loving it just as much as my first play-through on normal.

I love the animations and behaviors of the different tribes and gangs, love the look and feel of the world, and my god nobody makes a shotgun like Id.

Cystm

Metal-Geo said:
Apophis didn't do as much damage as humanity had expected it would. It's very hard to simulate 'the end of the world by an asteroid', so I guess they just expected and prepared for the worst. Also,
a lot of Ark survivors were awaken years before you. Some joined the authority, some captured and some actually helped repopulating the earth I guess.

Good points, I was impressed with the scope of such a thing as the end of the world, and how they presented it but some of those quests just made it seem like the people inhabiting this world would not have made it a day after Apophis hit.

Man,

I just don't know how I feel about this one =/

The first half is pretty fantastic if a bit repetitive. The end though is just flat out repetitive (once you get to Subway town). And of course DAT ENDING

Honestly I feel bad for the artists @ id. These guys are amazingly talented and yet they're tied to such seemingly hesitant design leads who in the end, just wanted to make yet another id shooter. Whether or not this was due to the insane development time, this game was seemingly stuck in a design vacuum.
Let it be known, indeed RAGE possesses some of the best gunplay this gen (seriously, playing any other shooter immediately after a round of RAGE only compounds this) and some of the most breathtaking visuals I've yet to see in any fucking game. They're right up there with the Killzone franchise as far as i'm concerned (the epitome of art perfectly merged with tech in my eyes). I really do stick to what I said that playing RAGE is like playing a piece of concept art.
That being said, once you get past the amazing visuals and fantastic shooting, you don't have much else. This is both good and bad. Good in the sense that you're always ready for the game's goals and (for me at least) always in the mood to play it. It's just fun.
But, it's also bad in the sense as the game's mechanics can't support it's length, no matter how good it is.
The story and setup is so good yet it's seemingly thrown to the way side.

In the end, I wanted to love it but I just can't. It's still great though but as said before, id is honestly in trouble if this is all they have to show for themselves after all these years.

8/10

luxarific

Nork unification denier
SpaceBridge said:
I asked this earlier, but how do I access the subway tunnels? I bought my copy new, should I have an access code dlc?

I tried putting in the two DLC codes that came with my retail pc version, but I got an error message that said the DLC packages were already included/downloaded along with the key for the main game when I entered the separate DLC codes into Steam. If you right-click on Rage's name in your list of Steam games, then click on "Properties" and then hit the DLC tab, you should see the "Rage Authority Pack DLC" and "Rage Sewers DLC" listed there if the same thing goes for you.

If you want to see if the sewers are enabled for you there's an entrance
under the bridge near the Dead City entrance.

luxarific said:
I tried putting in the two DLC codes that came with my retail pc version, but I got an error message that said the DLC packages were already included/downloaded along with the key for the main game when I entered the separate DLC codes into Steam. If you right-click on Rage's name in your list of Steam games, then click on "Properties" and then hit the DLC tab, you should see the "Rage Authority Pack DLC" and "Rage Sewers DLC" listed there if the same thing goes for you.

If you want to see if the sewers are enabled for you there's an entrance
under the bridge near the Dead City entrance.

Im playing on PS3, shoulda mentioned that earlier in my post. Thanks though.

Haunted

Finished it in 11 hours, did all the races and most of the sidequests - didn't do the last batch of Subway Town Job Board quests because they were formulaic re-visits of previous areas with new enemies.

And boy, you people weren't kidding when you said the ending fucking sucks. The last level and ending fucking suck. That's the second game in a row I've finished now with a shit ending after Dark Souls. Developer's don't care about good endings anymore. :(

It's a good shooter, if a bit repetitive, a fantastic looking game at times (approaching Subway Town for the first time reminded me of when I first saw Kowloon in Shenmue II). Overall, the world and all the different locations/dungeons has a very "handcrafted" vibe to it, which is very cool. I guess that's due to the megatextures tech - with the downside that everything feels very static, with few physics elements and no dynamic lighting. Definitely not an ideal solution.

I'm not as big a fan of this as I am of their previous games (it's below Doom 3 and Quake 3, but above Quake 4 - something like that).

I've tentatively added it to my Top 10 GOTY list, but it'll probably have a hard time staying on there.

Dyno

What with all the games I've picked up this season I'm actually surprised to have settled into Rage but that's where my interest has gravitated after sampling all that's out there.

It looks fantastic and there is always something interesting to see, be it a piece of local art or a vista. The gunplay is the best around. I really like the variety of gadgets you have at your disposal and their construction, while simple, is satisfying. They really did a great job with the off-hand attacks and options.

I like the racing and the NPCs are interesting. I think I've been avoiding repetition with the order in which I'm doing all the side quests. If I just come back from the Shrouded gang and I unlock a mission that will take me back there then I just mentally put it at the bottom of the pile. I even enjoy the collectible card game and other amusements.

It's a great game to simply unwind with. Take your time, see the sights, enjoy the open road! I guess I just like the 'old school - updated' vibe.

outsidah

I'm trying to get into this game but I'm not feeling it at all. The walking around from place to place thing is driving me mad. I guess I just wanted more of the old school just walk around and kill everything type of game but I knew this was not going to be like that. I think I'm going to take a break from it and see if I come back to it.

Top Bottom