• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Tokubetsu

Walking around with sentry bots feels awesome. I just got to Eastern Wasteland and I can definitely say, I love this game. Lowering expectations for an ending. Just gonna enjoy the ride.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Tokubetsu said:
Walking around with sentry bots feels awesome. I just got to Eastern Wasteland and I can definitely say, I love this game. Lowering expectations for an ending. Just gonna enjoy the ride.

When you're given the BFG ammo, just use it. I saved the ammo for something that never materialised. :(

RedSwirl

God goddamnit. After a couple hours on a PS3 rental copy, I think I'm going to have to get this game.

First off, running at 60fps on console makes a big difference. I don't care what anyone says. The controls feel responsive and snappy. And that's really the only thing that makes this game so good in my eyes - the core gameplay (well and maybe the environments barring the textures). It's classic errand boy stuff but id somehow really nailed the sense of progression here. It's just fun.

The question is: which version given my particular situation?

I think my only real choices are PS3 and the retail PC version. The texture pop-in on PS3 is just goddamn atrocious. Is it just that version? What's the advantage of installing the 360 version? I's gonna be hard to find room for the whole game on my 360 drive.

PC is a whole other story. Buying it on a Steam (or any other digital) deal means taking a 30GB bite out of my data cap, so it's gotta be physical. Plus, I'd be running it on an ATI card and I've heard bad things about this game and AMD, not to mention the PC port overall.

My Specs:
Q6600 Quad Core 2.4GHz
AMD HD6850
3GB RAM
Windows Vista 32bit

Any chance of a Black Friday deal on the game?
1440 x 900 monitor

ironcreed

Banned
Just beat it in right under 12 hours. Started off being my shooter of the year for sure, but as the game progressed some staleness began to shine through the top notch production value. It looks great, plays wonderfully and has moments when you can see something great there. However, by the time the game ends it feels like they really ran out of steam creatively.

For a game that was in development for so long and has such top notch production value, it is kind of sad to be honest. RAGE was almost great, but ended up just being 'good' for me. I did have fun, it just did not end up being as great as I thought it was going to be after the first few hours. The ending was especially disappointing. No boss fight with some massive mutant or some badass leader of The Authority?

jett

D-Member
If you have an AMD card just forget about the PC port. It's more trouble than its worth. If you update to the very latest preview drivers and the latest Rage patch you might be ok.

Might.

RedSwirl

jett said:
If you have an AMD card just forget about the PC port. It's more trouble than its worth. If you update to the very latest preview drivers and the latest Rage patch you might be ok.

Might.
They're gonna fix that shit right? I mean do more patches. What about that patch for the textures?

jambo

commissar said:
It's worth playing on Nightmare anyway :) Make the switch jambo!

Yeah I already changed, now I just have to decide if I should finish it and replay Nightmare, or just restart now.

jett said:
what, the high res texture patch? that's a pipe dream
High-res texture pack isn't happening. Carmack replied to me on Twitter and said they tested it, but there was no more detail in the files. So now they're going to "fake" detail by adding "detail textures" which... meh. I'd rather they not.

RedSwirl

And no chance of them adding adjustable graphics without having to go into a cfg or anything? Pop-in fixes? Mods? And does this texture pop-in problem happen on the 360 version too?

I'm starting to think this megatextures thing was really ahead of its time. Is it advisable to wait until this game is no longer a technical mess? I mean getting it to look this good at 60fps on console is a feat in itself, but at what cost?

RedSwirl said:
My Specs:
Q6600 Quad Core 2.4GHz
AMD HD6850
3GB RAM
Windows Vista 32bit

1440 x 900 monitor
I'm running the same setup as you but with Win7 64, a GTX460 and 4Gb of RAM and it looks fantastic. Silky smooth framerate and I rarely notice any pop in.

And DAMN the gunplay is great. Shooting that Shotgun is pure heaven.

RedSwirl

reptilescorpio said:
I'm running the same setup as you but with Win7 64, a GTX460 and 4Gb of RAM and it looks fantastic. Silky smooth framerate and I rarely notice any pop in.

And DAMN the gunplay is great. Shooting that Shotgun is pure heaven.

I think that's the core difference here.

Wallach

Boards of Canada said:
High-res texture pack isn't happening. Carmack replied to me on Twitter and said they tested it, but there was no more detail in the files. So now they're going to "fake" detail by adding "detail textures" which... meh. I'd rather they not.

I'm pretty sure when you asked your question, he took that to mean if they were going to add an option to increase the detail textures setting even higher (because that is what everyone was asking about around that time). His response was about the size of the page file, and he's right that with our current client making it larger doesn't really help because we're pretty much seeing all of the detail of the compressed textures.

Edit - I still don't think it's that likely that we'll ever see it because the file size to make a difference would be a couple times larger than the entire current client, but it is not possible for the uncompressed textures to not contain more detail (we can see that in the transcoding results at any detail level).

IMG_8352.jpg

I found this poster somewhere in the game, can anyone tell me where I can find it with high res?

jett said:

Might.

Uh, not really, I've been playing it smooth as silk outside of that glitchy NPC graphical issue (now utterly fixed) on a Radeon HD Mobility from day 1. I'd say most people running ATI cards have had little to no problems after the ATI hotfix and official Rage patch.

Painkiller Q8 said:
IMG_8352.jpg

I found this poster somewhere in the game, can anyone tell me where I can find it with high res?
Isnt that from deus ex hr? Try google image search, would love a higher res too. On my phone at the moment

reptilescorpio said:
Isnt that from deus ex hr? Try google image search, would love a higher res too. On my phone at the moment

lmao!!! yes it was from Deus Ex, I mess up between both game since I was playing them both at the same time :S FAIL!

What the hell. Have been running in game Vsync as the screen tearing was horrible. Just booted up the game again and now it has changed the Vsync to off and won't save with it on. Tried forcing through Nvidia drivers and no go.

Edit: False alarm. Seems Nvidia Inspector for some reason changed to Force Off. Strange since d3d and the drivers themselves were still Force On and I hadn't touched to computer in between sessions of RAGE.

Darkone

SalsaShark said:
They already announced that they're starting work on RAGE 2, a while ago actually.

Doom 4 is first of course.

I really hope they are becuase i heared that the game isn`t selling so well.

hope they will still do Rage 2.

One thing I really just appreciated. Going through the Shrouded hideout now and came across an Authority Machinegun in a locked room. I thought to myself, fuck! I just bought one in Wellspring for $500! Down the drain!
Then when I picked it up I was given $500 instead.
Thank you id. It is logical but a lot of the shooters I have played recently haven't been developed logically. No need for me to rage now.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Glad a lot of people enjoyed it still like me. They just phoned in the ending and I think everyone agrees on that. Plus I felt there were missed promises. Would have been nicer to properly fight some bigger enemies.

I still enjoyed it a lot though and felt the press way very harsh on it.

MEATER

Just finished it. Playing on Hurt me plenty was a huge mistake. I usally just want to sit back and enjoy a game but this felt way too easy.

The main problem was that in the end I just had too much of everything and a ton of money. I just always had a sentry bot with me and wasted a ton of grenades.

Can someone tell me what is different on nightmare difficulty?

Are there more enemies?

Do enemies have more hitpoints?

Thinking of replaying it on console. I switched to a pad when driving on the PC and since the difficulty wasn't that great I also played some of the fps passages with the pad and did well enough. Usually I don't really like playing shooters with a pad but this felt a lot better than e.g. any Halo I ever played.

Thunderbear said:
Glad a lot of people enjoyed it still like me. They just phoned in the ending and I think everyone agrees on that. Plus I felt there were missed promises. Would have been nicer to properly fight some bigger enemies.

I still enjoyed it a lot though and felt the press way very harsh on it.
expectations vs end product. you can't really blame people for succumbing to that.

Outtrigger888 said:
Picked the game up off a buddy for 35$ and finished it last night, was probaly my favorite shooter I've played in awhile.

My feelings on it too, I really hope they put some DLC out that continues the story or make a second one.

MEATER said:
Just finished it. Playing on Hurt me plenty was a huge mistake. I usally just want to sit back and enjoy a game but this felt way too easy.

The main problem was that in the end I just had too much of everything and a ton of money. I just always had a sentry bot with me and wasted a ton of grenades.

Are there more enemies?

Do enemies have more hitpoints?

Thinking of replaying it on console. I switched to a pad when driving on the PC and since the difficulty wasn't that great I also played some of the fps passages with the pad and did well enough. Usually I don't really like playing shooters with a pad but this felt a lot better than e.g. any Halo I ever played.

I started on nightmare, so i have no idea about enemy numbers or hitpoints. Nightmare in itself isn't very difficult, so just start again and enjoy.

Soviet

Banned
MEATER said:
Same amount of enemies, same amount of hit points. Our dude is just a bit less resistant and can take fewer shots. Nightmare should be default difficulty :).

RedSwirl

Okay, so I'll go for the retail PC version when I can, but I don't know when that will be.

My priority right now is Dark Souls, the Battlefield 3 launch trailer just convinced me to rent it, and Uncharted 3 comes out in just over a week. Right after that I'll be renting Skyrim to see if I like that game, and so on and so forth. Hopefully I can find a deal on it. The game is only like 12 hours right? A lot of replay value?

MrBig

RedSwirl said:
The game is only like 12 hours right? A lot of replay value?
The average is somewhere around 14 hours. Not a whole lot of replay value. I'll probably only come back to it to play it on the hardest difficulty.

MEATER

Soviet said:
Same amount of enemies, same amount of hit points. Our dude is just a bit less resistant and can take fewer shots. Nightmare should be default difficulty :).

I actually tried the first level on nightmare and didn't notice a difference... So that's probably why...

Isn't stuff more expensive or isn't there fewer ammo or something like that? I don't really see the game getting much harder unless enemies instakill you.

Metal-Geo

I'm curious. What outfit did you pick at Wellspring? There were 4 outfits with each having very attractive benefits. I ended up picking the all-around one.

Wonder how big of a difference each outfit really is.

MEATER

RedSwirl said:
A lot of replay value?

If you have someone you can play coop with the Legends of the wasteland are fun. Especially once you completed the game and know the characters so you know what the "legend" relates to.

The multiplayer car battles are not that great, higher level players outrank noobs in a way that is just ridiculous. That just ruined it for me. Doesn't seem like there are other low level players around so I quit after 4 or 5 matches.

Might be fun if you only play with friends on the same level though!

Altogether I think the value is ok. But maybe that's just me. I do not expect 40 hrs+ out of every game and at least it took me longer to finish than the regular Call of Duty.

MEATER said:
I actually tried the first level on nightmare and didn't notice a difference... So that's probably why...

Isn't stuff more expensive or isn't there fewer ammo or something like that? I don't really see the game getting much harder unless enemies instakill you.
I've had no trouble packing as much ammo as I want. I just cleared Dead City with 200 pop-rockets. I have been "insta-killed" by those minigunners though, and in that one mission early mission where you have to clear a gate from bandits, a rocket or something blew up my Ram Rod in what felt like one hit.

Manp

jett said:

Might.

Mr. Negativity

i'm playing it on a 6970 and i've yet to find an issue. not even textures popup.
oh yes, the only thing i can think of is that the game will crash on launch if you have triple buffering enabled in the drivers. switched it off and it's been smooth sailing since.

:)

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I finished the game in 7-8 hours lol

Manp said:
i'm playing it on a 6970 and i've yet to find an issue. not even textures popup.
oh yes, the only thing i can think of is that the game will crash on launch if you have triple buffering enabled in the drivers. switched it off and it's been smooth sailing since.

:)

Yup, same for me using the same card.

Grayman

I played some COOP today and it is awesome. Straight score attack with set inventories and secrets! It looks like they all need to be unlocked as missions which I am ok with, the list is big enough that i would miss some otherwise.

schennmu said:
Does this game have the worst FOV on consoles ever? Even beats Crysis 2...
Seems really narrow on PC but not as bad as patched RO2. I turn it up to 102 each time I played. Today I got it set up to handle it automatically through a config, that wasn't working at game launch and I didn't like fiddling with launch options.

Grayman said:
Seems really narrow on PC but not as bad as patched RO2. I turn it up to 102 each time I played. Today I got it set up to handle it automatically through a config, that wasn't working at game launch and I didn't like fiddling with launch options.
It's 80 by default, more than most games, but still not enough!

Grayman said:
I played some COOP today and it is awesome. Straight score attack with set inventories and secrets! It looks like they all need to be unlocked as missions which I am ok with, the list is big enough that i would miss some otherwise.

Absolutely, the co-op is one of the greatest aspects of Rage. There needs to be more missions, though! I'd happily scoop up DLC for Rage, no questions, but if it was more co-op missions, it'd be God Tier.

Amazing mode. Everyone should try it. Nightmare difficulty is a great challenge for two fellows. Dare I say it, I think there should be a difficulty mode above Nightmare.

I bought ps3 version, texture pop in is much more distracting than I thought. :(

How is the pc version? I've heard it's engine limitation, so is it still there on pc? I'm thinking to buy pc version, although I really don't want to download 27gb of data.

Any hope for ps3 patch to fix this?

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Callibretto said:
I bought ps3 version, texture pop in is much more distracting than I thought. :(

How is the pc version? I've heard it's engine limitation, so is it still there on pc? I'm thinking to buy pc version, although I really don't want to download 27gb of data.

Any hope for ps3 patch to fix this?

Yes, it is still there on the PC, though you can make it less noticeable when you tweak the configs.

Scythian

Seriously, I just had my first Co-op match and it was a blast. I think we had a bug at the end, because it ended kinda abruptly, in the middle of a firefight I froze, the screen turned white and the scoreboard appeared.
It's just pure gunplay, the way Rage is most enjoyable.

Grayman

Pylon_Trooper said:
Absolutely, the co-op is one of the greatest aspects of Rage. There needs to be more missions, though! I'd happily scoop up DLC for Rage, no questions, but if it was more co-op missions, it'd be God Tier.

Amazing mode. Everyone should try it. Nightmare difficulty is a great challenge for two fellows. Dare I say it, I think there should be a difficulty mode above Nightmare.
It really is a great mode and I see myself abandoning my single player games for a long time because of it.

Difficulty could be one with no defibs or extra enemy variety. Upping the damage sponge further would diminish the feedback of headshots too much. The game does give out enough bandages that no health regen might be a hardcore option as well.

Top Bottom