• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

just finished up the races. still got jumps to hit, the east wasteland sewers to do, a few jobs and a few missions before the end of the game. still really enjoying it :)

the rallys are pretty easy once you get over trying to hit every rally point. leave the furthest ones and get ready to beat the pack on the way back. simple.

Gvaz

Banned
Guts Of Thor said:
So I take it the 20-25 hour campaign was bullshit? I'm about 11 hours into the game and just started Subway Town which I assume is the last section right? Is Subway Town really 10 hours long including races/side quests?

Anyways, I'm really enjoying the game outside of fighting the fucking mutants. They are just so boring and the shitty decision to just throw waves of them at you really pisses me off. Fighting the human enemies has been a real treat and it's too bad that you couldn't just fight them all the time.
I did 90% of the sidequests/races and was at 14-16 hours. I felt I was taking my sweet old time.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I did everything (although I missed some cards and recipes) and finished the game in ~17.5 hours.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I took it nice and slow and got everything in the game (Obsessive Compulsive Cheeve) and finished just a bit over 22 hours.

Too bad some people aren't enjoying the mutants. I freakin loved how they ran at you. It was like Left for Dead but better.

Good game. Would have been great with an end boss like id's other games. Would have liked a reason
to use the BFG. I only started using it because I figured out I was in the last area.
. But really I had a blast just using the Pulse ammo on the shotty, the advanced Wingsticks and the spider bot dude.

ironcreed

Banned
Finally got to spend some real time with this tonight. I only got as far as the Ghost Hideout and then got absorbed in Dark Souls for the past two weeks. After playing for a few hours tonight, all I can say is that I think this game is underrated as hell.

- Fantastic and smooth as silk gameplay
- Gorgeous visuals and lighting
- Great A.I.
- Great animations
- Great sound effects
- Interesting characters with unique personalities. Character models are superb as well.
- You can craft all sorts of gadgets from loot that add all sorts of variety to the gameplay.
- Great weapons
- A lot to do on the side, such as races and games.

I could go on, but I'll just leave it there. My favorite shooter of the year with ease. The little details and years of work really show and no amount of texture pop-in can diminish that for me.

ironcreed

Banned
I love the music that starts pounding when you are in a fight. I am still early in the game and shootouts are already tense as hell. I love when I have some guy rushing in on me with this grimace on his face and while shooting someone behind him, I fling a Wingstick that will decapitate him or stick in his head as he falls right in my face. So awesome.

Have they said anything about potential DLC? I am missing one side mission to be able to 100% the game and get that trophy but I am short on Feltrites or whatever and have no way of getting more. I need 20 but have only 2. Anyone know how many are in the sewers? If they have DLC with some in there I might hold on to the game. If there's no plan for DLC I might as well just sell it.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Respawn said:
That abandoned hospital was disgusting and scary as Fuck.

Yeah that had me tensed up the whole time.

ironcreed said:
I love the music that starts pounding when you are in a fight. I am still early in the game and shootouts are already tense as hell. I love when I have some guy rushing in on me with this grimace on his face and while shooting someone behind him, I fling a Wingstick that will decapitate him or stick in his head as he falls right in my face. So awesome.

Yeah music is something I forgot to add in my mini-review. Great music throughout. Sound design in general was top notch.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Speaking of sound design, wasn't anyone else absolutely disgusted by the audio quality in the fmv, particularly the intro? Despite it being a gorgeous piece, it's so scratchy and warped that i had to put it on mute every time I saw it afterwards, which was several because I had to keep restarting due to pc launch problems.

I mean, holy shit. It's so bad. Astonishingly, incredulously, unacceptably bad. The worst FMV encoding I've ever heard, even among console ports. The intro to Quake 2 had VASTLY better quality - a game from 1997! Did anyone who worked on the intro have ears? I wouldn't care so much if the game let you skip cutscenes, but serously, holy shit.

Metal-Geo

luka said:
Speaking of sound design, wasn't anyone else absolutely disgusted by the audio quality in the fmv, particularly the intro? Despite it being a gorgeous piece, it's so scratchy and warped that i had to put it on mute every time I saw it afterwards, which was several because I had to keep restarting due to pc launch problems.

I mean, holy shit. It's so bad. Astonishingly, incredulously, unacceptably bad. The worst FMV encoding I've ever heard, even among console ports. The intro to Quake 2 had VASTLY better quality - a game from 1997! Did anyone who worked on the intro have ears? I wouldn't care so much if the game let you skip cutscenes, but serously, holy shit.
That's very weird. The intro is a BINK video file, which are usually universal over the platforms. And the sound is perfectly fine on for me on the PC. I think there's something else going on.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Metal-Geo said:
That's very weird. The intro is a BINK video file, which are usually universal over the platforms. And the sound is perfectly fine on for me on the PC. I think there's something else going on.
I've heard it on youtube and it sounds exactly the same. Maybe I'm just super sensitive to it but it really is terrible. There is a lot of frequency distortion like you'd hear from a 64kbps mp3 file. Nothing else going on but terrible encoding.

And BINK is almost universally regarded as garbage, so... :p
But this is bad even by BINK standards.

Truant

Wish they did more with the mutants. The gangs are very different in design, and how they fight, but the there are like four mutant types, including the boss. Pretty lazy.

Salsa

Truant said:
Wish they did more with the mutants. The gangs are very different in design, and how they fight, but the there are like four mutant types, including the boss. Pretty lazy.

have you finished the game?

jambo

I bought RAGE at retail for PC, punched the code in last week and have been having a blast with the game so far, however I just came across an issue.

I saw one of the sewer entrances and decided to finally check it out, because everyone has been saying how fun they are and not to miss them. The dude warned me about entering, but I ignored him and hit E. A window then popped up saying that I need to purchase the DLC or enter a code to access the sewer contact.

I bought the normal edition of RAGE and I thought that the sewer content was part of that. I checked some sites and none of them list the sewers as Anarchy Edition content, but was it part of that pack or is something wrong?

I'm an idiot, never activated the Sewers DLC code inside the box -_-

jambo

Is there a launch option I can set to tone down the sensitivity of the cursor in the menus? It's fine in game, but it's flying around all over the place when I use menus.

There's more to the apparent lack of difficulty in the game. id approached the matter as a one size fits all solution, so difficulty setting ends up not having much impact in the way you play the game. Playing on "Nightmare" the increased health of the opponents is bypassed by even more item abuse than in the lower levels, more over, this abuse doesn't seem to be compensated on "nightmare" by some adjust to the game's "economy". So one ends up spamming the windsticks, grenades, fatboys, etc more than approaching combat in a cautious more strategical way.

Other thing that shows its the shallow nature of the "openendedness" that one may perceive in combat. You got lots of toys to play with but the way to tackle situations feel more or less the same. That's were the game being so old school starts to hurt it, the strategy is diluted to just pick the tool that deals more pain and be done with it. Since the avatar is a walking armory that carries all, there's not even much planing involved about anything. So after all these years it was expected that id had designed the encounters better.

Even if the game combat feels solid, the "sandbox" aspect has been done better in other shooters.

That's a fair argument

I will say I still enjoyed Nightmare waaaay more than I think you should (because Normal is so broken).
I fucking hate how enemy health is so scaled up though. Nothing more stupid when you're shooting a dude clear in the head and he's still standing almost everytime, Giant mutants/helmet authority excluded. I also hate how the spread is seemingly so much worse with the shotty on higher difficulties. You constantly see bullets go right past people for no appearant other than to put the player at a disadvantage.

Still adore the game though

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
luka said:
I've heard it on youtube and it sounds exactly the same. Maybe I'm just super sensitive to it but it really is terrible. There is a lot of frequency distortion like you'd hear from a 64kbps mp3 file. Nothing else going on but terrible encoding.

And BINK is almost universally regarded as garbage, so... :p
But this is bad even by BINK standards.
Bink can be just fine, the way devs usually use it means we end up with shit quality. Valve has used Bink a number of times for intro vids and they look great.

AgentOtaku said:
That's a fair argument

I will say I still enjoyed Nightmare waaaay more than I think you should (because Normal is so broken).
I fucking hate how enemy health is so scaled up though. Nothing more stupid when you're shooting a dude clear in the head and he's still standing almost everytime, Giant mutants/helmet authority excluded. I also hate how the spread is seemingly so much worse with the shotty on higher difficulties. You constantly see bullets go right past people for no appearant other than to put the player at a disadvantage.

Still adore the game though
I think the headshot damage is perfectly fine on Nightmare. It makes you use the bigger guns/bullets so you won't just stick to the one that'll give you the best accuracy/RoF ratio as with every other shooter, plus they're likely to stagger after the first shot hits. I don't have any complaints about the shotty either, things seem to go down well enough.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
This is a great game, the gameplay aspects are phenomenal. Not to mention my first time in Dead City when the lights off had me paranoid.

Just did a few more missions with Poimandres in Legends of the Wasteland. Certainly where Nightmare means Nightmare, and ultimately very satisfying. That co-op mode, outside of being some of the smoothest and cleanest co-op this generation, is a real showcase of Rage at its best...it certainly evokes Doom in terms of enemy mass encounters.

Fantastic. Tasty morsels of high-intensity, condensed action.

Soviet

Banned
Nightmare is way too easy. Looks like only thing that's changed on this setting is our endurance - our dude can take fewer shots. You can easily finish whole campaign using only first gun with fatboys and occasionally a sniper rifle. You can still one-shot mutants with the gloves.

jambo

Yeah I pumped the difficulty up from Hard to Nightmare and the game is still pretty damn easy.

Pretty much just swap between healing on F1 and wingsticks on F2 and you just rip shit up with no problems.

Story question below

So, I've played about 10 hours and I'm up to the part where I can choose to move on from Wellspring with the Resistance. I'm doing stuff like the sewers and the rest of the Job Board stuff before I do. How far in am I?

Metal-Geo

jambo said:
Yeah I pumped the difficulty up from Hard to Nightmare and the game is still pretty damn easy.

Pretty much just swap between healing on F1 and wingsticks on F2 and you just rip shit up with no problems.

Story question below

So, I've played about 10 hours and I'm up to the part where I can choose to move on from Wellspring with the Resistance. I'm doing stuff like the sewers and the rest of the Job Board stuff before I do. How far in am I?
At the 2/3 mark.

jambo said:
Is there a launch option I can set to tone down the sensitivity of the cursor in the menus? It's fine in game, but it's flying around all over the place when I use menus.
Add "-cvaradd m_menu_sensitivity -0.2" to the launch options.

jambo said:

Story question below

2/3rds ish i believe.

Arcipello

does anyone else have major issues with using the scopes and ironsights on guns??? i zoom in, and it will randomly zoom back out.... makes using the sniper rilfe a total nightmare!

I can't believe there is no autosave. And I can't believe that I haven't learned to manual save by now. This is like fucking Fire Emblem I am reloading so much with nothing to show for 20 minutes at a time.

Zimbardo

just completed it on the PC. took 14 hours to complete it. did most, if not all, of the missions/quests.

awesome visuals and superb performance @ 1080p max detail/60fps/ vsync'd. i have 2 GTX560 1gig cards and SLI isn't enabled in nvidia's drivers yet ...so with one card the performance was excellent. was impressed.

very cool and atmospheric environments. excellent and intense gunfights, and some really cool weapons and gadgets that you can make.

the driving sections are really good, too. has a Motorstorm feel/quality to it.

only played a few rounds of the online car multiplayer, but that seemed decent enough. dunno if its something that many people will bother with for too long, but its there at least.

will have to try out the co-op missions sometime.

enjoyed the game quite a bit.

my score = 8.5/10

btw ... F5 for the quicksave = the way to do it. i think F9 is the quickload.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Anyone else have this problem? I bought my copy brand new from Newegg but I cannot access any of the sewers. Do I have to trigger something? I went to the sewer right outside the arc and it says I have to purchase them?

Scythian

Welp, just finished it. Enjoyed every minute of it.
Funny thing, I saved all this Feltrite and special ammo for a "Final boss" or an exciting final showdown with waves of enemies, and felt underwhelmed when it finished.

Well, I'm going to do another run when the patch that Carmack announced is released, and I'm doing all of the sidequests and sewers levels (which I skipped completely)

teepo

Scythian said:
Well, I'm going to do another run when the patch that Carmack announced is released, and I'm doing all of the sidequests and sewers levels (which I skipped completely)

i'm out of the loop.

what exactly is this patch going to add to the game?

jambo

This question has probably already come up, but do I get the Nightmare cheevo if I switch to Nightmare part way through the campaign?

Doesn't really matter though, I'm going to replay anyway cause this game is so damn fun!

jambo said:
This question has probably already come up, but do I get the Nightmare cheevo if I switch to Nightmare part way through the campaign?

Doesn't really matter though, I'm going to replay anyway cause this game is so damn fun!
No, you won't get it unless you play on Nightmare from the start.

JCreasy

Stitch said:
Yeah finished it yesterday. The ending was so stupid :|

I'm losing the will to finish this game. Already thinking about what I want to trade it in for.

I just keep playing freakin Infinity Blade. What's happening to me!?

JCreasy said:
I'm losing the will to finish this game. Already thinking about what I want to trade it in for.

did you cut yourself on an iPhone any time recently?

Sanic

JCreasy said:

How far into the game are you? For me, the second half of the game was much better than the first, so I would try to push on a little further, unless you're already a decent ways into the game.

i was just able to climb into a bandit car. it was stuck in the air and refused to be exploded. weirdly, when i approached it, i was given the option to get in the vehicle, so i did.

i ended up stuck halfway in a mountain unable to move the vehicle or get back out. still, everything's an adventure right?

http://steamcommunity.com//id/plagiarize/screenshot/632980588341275193

notice the glitched car weapon selection, and the blue dot on the map for my real vehicle.

i'm not far from the end now. just got that one last mission before the end, but i need to do the last three sewers and to hunt down the remaining jumps.

Edit: and done. Thanks to the hints here I made sure to use the last weapon extensively in the final mission, being sure to use both types of ammo. The jackal canyon level was truly special. The last level wasn't as bad as I'd expected, although it was a bit short, and I had no problem with the game ending where it did as far as gameplay, but that last video was so stupid.

If we never get a rage 2 that's a really lame place to leave it. Great game overall though. If I get time in the near future I'll replay of on nightmare.

Top Bottom