• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

garath

Solo said:
Steam question: can I pause a download, quit Steam, shut off my PC for the night and resume the D/L tomorrow? Normally I'd just let it run overnight, but I don't want one fucking game download to eat all my bandwidth if it resets again.

Yep. It will resume where it left off. Don't even need to pause it. Just turn off the machine.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Solo said:
In Canada, yes. And they are getting MORE restrictive, not less.

Thankfully Shaw saw the light on this and made their limits much much larger then they were before the whole Usage Based Billing nonsense. I think my cap is like 750 GB a month.

Loxley

DarkChild said:
RAGE, first 20 min( PS3 version). You can notice fade ins from textures, hope 360 version fares better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6yvW72A8q8
Got to say that draw distance is spectacular. Really really awesome looking, especially for 60hz game.

I'm not at all surprised about the texture pop-in, Carmack blatantly said the console-versions would have it after all. But man, once everything loads up, this is one damn-beautiful game.

PS3 purchase justified :)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
It's still 60fps on consoles right?

Recommended:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad or Equivalent AMD
Memory: 4GB
Hard Disk Space: 25GB
Video Card: GeForce 9800 GTX, ATI Radeon HD 5550

Soooo... How legit are PC spec recommendations these days? When I left PC gaming the minimum specs translated into "it will actually run on these specs, not necessarily be playable." Does this translate to "just playable" or "1080p/60FPS/max settings" like "recommended" should mean for a PC game?

Even for a half-decade-old-console developed game from id, I'm having trouble believing I can actually play this with good settings on my meh PC.

Xander51

It bothers me, especially after loving the idTech 4 lighting so much, that the guns in this game and the grenade explosions don't throw any light into the environment. In that video above when he's firing the pistol in dark rooms and the rooms don't light up, it really emphasized how static the environment is. Also, when he tried to melee the vase and nothing happened.

DaBuddaDa

NinjaFromTheFuture said:
Soooo... How legit are PC spec recommendations these days? When I left PC gaming the minimum specs translated into "it will actually run on these specs, not necessarily be playable." Does this translate to "just playable" or "1080p/60FPS/max settings" like "recommended" should mean for a PC game?

Even for a half-decade-old-console developed game from id, I'm having trouble believing I can actually play this with good settings on my meh PC.
Honestly, nobody is going to be able to tell you until it's out. Theory is, though, that by the very nature of how id tech 5 works, it will run very well on old PC hardware.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Sorry to sound like a cheap douchebag but are there any coupon deals for this game on PC? I only see $10 coupon for Amazon atm :(

Solo

Sinatar said:
Thankfully Shaw saw the light on this and made their limits much much larger then they were before the whole Usage Based Billing nonsense. I think my cap is like 750 GB a month.

Good lord - my 60GB on Rogers weeps :_(
Bell has the same caps too, I believe.

Bollocks

DarkChild said:
RAGE, first 20 min( PS3 version). You can notice fade ins from textures, hope 360 version fares better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6yvW72A8q8
Got to say that draw distance is spectacular. Really really awesome looking, especially for 60hz game.
I don't know but judging from the Youtube video this looks spectacular, the graphics give of a Killzone look, texture pop ins are subtle and all this with 60 frames, my wallet hates to hear this but day 1, as shown in the video Carmack knows his shit.

Iztli

I just bought Fifa 12 from that site and my GF bought space marine from a similar site cdkeydiscount.com no problems :D

Tom Penny

Anyone know if there is going to be a considerable leap in graphics from the console to PC versions? Is there any PC footage floating around?

Iztli said:
I just bought Fifa 12 from that site and my GF bought space marine from a similar site cdkeydiscount.com no problems :D

Any other anecdotal evidence...these prices seem to good to be true. I'm ready to order RAGE, BF3, and MW3 for roughly a benjamin...but not if anyone has had anything removed or had their account banned. I would cry if my steam account was taken away.

Iztli

talk show host said:
Any other anecdotal evidence...these prices seem to good to be true. I'm ready to order RAGE, BF3, and MW3 for roughly a benjamin...but not if anyone has had anything removed or had their account banned. I would cry if my steam account was taken away.
My gf has had space marine since launch and activated on steam.. If thats any consolation

I think its only Activision that frowns upon people buying CoD thru cd key sites

talk show host said:
Might not buy MW3 on there since MW2 got taken off steam accounts for being a russian cd code.

Tom Penny said:
Anyone know if there is going to be a considerable leap in graphics from the console to PC versions? Is there any PC footage floating around?

PC footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bYVcJHLJyo

The resolution will be reduced on the consoles in the demanding areas, on PC it won't.
No AA on consoles, on PC there is.
Same texture resolution, but more pages of them will be loaded on the PC, therefore less blurry textures in the edges, when a new area loads, and far away from the player.

That's it.

commissar

I turned off my pc for a bit and now there's no preload slots available. Well I have a week til the damn thing unlocks so whatever.

eshwaaz

On the subject of saves, the game outright tells you to save often as part of the early game tutorials:
SaveOftenStupid.jpg

I have no sympathy for the reviewers who are whining about this.

eshwaaz said:
On the subject of saves, the game outright tells you to save often as part of the early game tutorials:
SaveOftenStupid.jpg

So as long as you have a disclaimer, you can put a broken shitty feature in your game? No checkpoints in 2011 is inexcusable.
Ill grab the game in the morning, pretty nervous about it though

eshwaaz said:

You talk like this is Demons Souls?! LOL

id could not do implement proper autosaving in rage because it would slow down the game to unplayable levels. the message you see, is just a cop out.

garath

I want to see all these reviews. Judging by the angst on twitter there is probably going to be quite a few raging reviewers. I saw the word cunts in one tweet. Lol

Hopefully we will get some better reviews from other sites though. I've loved all the footage i've seen so far. How can it be bad?

Wallach

The M.O.B said:
You can save anywhere in this game? Even on the consoles?

People are complaining about what again?

That it doesn't autosave their progress on top of that every five minutes. Sometimes reviewers had to actually replay up to thirty minutes of a video game because they were too lazy to quick save. The fucking horror of it all.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
DevelopmentArrested said:
So as long as you have a disclaimer, you can put a broken shitty feature in your game? No checkpoints in 2011 is inexcusable.

Saving anywhere isn't a broken shit feature, relying on stupid checkpoints is a broken shit feature. The freedom to save anywhere is what game designers who don't have their heads shoved up their cavernous asses put in their games.

Effect

DevelopmentArrested said:

Checkpoints only make sense in the context of the game. In an open world game like this, Deus Ex, Fallout, Oblivion, they don't really make much sense to me. You know you are going into a dangerous area you should save. If it seems you've gone a while without saving you should save in case something happens.

Derrick01

Banned
The M.O.B said:
You can save anywhere in this game? Even on the consoles?

People are complaining about what again?

Because console gamers/reviewers are complaining about having to do something themselves. See it's totally the game's fault they didn't pay attention and didn't save for 2 hours instead of putting a checkpoint every 10 minutes.

I wish this wasn't coming out with Dark Souls or it'd be a day 1. I'm going to try and find some old games to trade in maybe, this game just looks so damn fun.

Top Bottom