• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Mrbob

Rage is one of the few pc games left I'm going retail box. I'd rather install off the DVD than download 20 some gigs.

eshwaaz

eshwaaz

garath said:
There's some twittering going on that reviewers are disappointed with the console auto-save feature. They are having to replay 30+ minute chunks if they forget to manual save.

There's a post on the official forums that outlines it and links to all the respective twitters.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1235203-auto-save-system-on-consoles/

Definitely a major point against for the console version.
Then don't forget to manual save? Calling it a "major point" when the player has full control over the situation is overstating things a bit.

DaBuddaDa

To knock a game because you're too fucking numb to save is...leaving me utterly speechless. That's even worse than complaining about having to get off the couch to swap discs.

Edit: oh hey look, it's a no-name Joystiq guy, Jim Sterling and Ben Kuchera who are complaining. What a big fucking surprise that is!

Derrick01

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:
To knock a game because you're too fucking numb to save is...leaving me utterly speechless. That's even worse than complaining about having to get off the couch to swap discs.

Edit: oh hey look, it's a no-name Joystiq guy, Jim Sterling and Ben Kuchera who are complaining. What a big fucking surprise that is!

I already have a pretty good idea on who the joystiq guy is, not that it makes much difference as just about everyone there is a casual who is paid to play hardcore games all the time.

edit: oooh not who I was guessing, but Grant would have been my 2nd choice. He's the head of the site too :lol

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
MrBelmontvedere said:
game is seriously weak sauce graphically.

ya..actually no its not...
yes the texture resolution could be higher on pc and no it doesn't have detail textures.
otherwise..it looks awesome

kitch9

Banned
garath said:
There's some twittering going on that reviewers are disappointed with the console auto-save feature. They are having to replay 30+ minute chunks if they forget to manual save.

There's a post on the official forums that outlines it and links to all the respective twitters.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1235203-auto-save-system-on-consoles/

Definitely a major point against for the console version.

Jesus christ some of these cunts don't know they are born.

bloodydrake said:
ya..actually no its not...
yes the texture resolution could be higher on pc and no it doesn't have detail textures.
otherwise..it looks awesome

weak sauce.

I won't contradict your opinion because graphics are so subjective. but let me put it this way: the game runs at 60FPS on ~6 year old hardware. it BY NECESSITY is weak sauce graphically.

nel e nel

garath said:
I can see it being a major point for the console crowd. Hit start->down->down->hit x->select HD (360!)->pick slot->hit x->do you want to overwrite?->wait->hit start

compared to a quick F5 or even ESC->click Save->click->click>resume, it's a little tedious.

Reviewers won't be a fan (obvious from the twitter feeds) and will mark them down for it. I'm sure console players will overcome but it sounds like it could be a little more streamlined.

Jesus Christ, are you for real? Console saves are generally start>save>yes>start

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
EvilDick34 said:
PRE-LOAD FOR RAGE ON STEAM IS UP, GO GO GO!!!

Btw, it is almost a 22gb download lol.

Dat
lack of
compression.

I'd like to buy a key, but I'm poor as shit for the next ~week.

DaBuddaDa

It's starting to become clear that this game is going to get ripped to shreds by the gaming press. Nobody is hinting at enjoying it, everyone is hinting at it being terrible.

Salsa

DaBuddaDa said:
It's starting to become clear that this game is going to get ripped to shreds by the gaming press. Nobody is hinting at enjoying it, everyone is hinting at it being terrible.

?

from OP:

Destructoid — “It’s fun, there’s a lot to do, and the tech behind it is incredible.”
Joystiq — “From what I played, Rage is a seemingly strange mix of ingredients that comes together well enough to remind you why first-person shooters can be so exciting.”
1Up –"Rage may already be the best Id game ever."
Kotaku — “RAGE is the id Software Comback I’ve Been Waiting For”
PlayStation.Blog — “Rage is easily among the best-looking first-person shooters I’ve seen this console generation”
Giant Bomb — “Fantastic lighting, richly detailed environments, and expressive, fully-realized characters exist within this world.”
Cheat Code Central — “If the first three hours of RAGE are any indication, id Software has an addictive surefire hit on their hands.”
RipTen — “After playing it – Bethesda was lucky they didn’t have to pry the controller from the palms of my sweaty nerdy hands.”
GameXplain — “Bioshock meets Fallout 3″
MTV Multiplayer — “An id Software that has more of a story to tell than just an amazing headshot.”
Strategy Informer – “It’s definitely my pick for best FPS of 2011…”
GameReactor — “We know we’ve only seen a small chunk thus far, but, racing aside, the separate gameplay factors alone are enough to excite, and together form a stunning FPS that we hope lives up to our renewed expectations.”

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
SalsaShark said:
why dont you read through the thread. This game has 128000×128000 textures.

1483brli.jpg

DaBuddaDa

SalsaShark said:
?

from OP:
Yeah, those are previews. Previews are never negative. From people reviewing it:

"Just hit the point where if I wasn't getting paid to play this fucking game, I would have stopped."

"Not impressed."

"Gotta love scheduled online review matches where nobody fucking turns up." "I give up. I don't have time to sit around in empty lobbies."

And I remember Arthur Gies on Rebel FM mentioning that he played a "new IP" recently that was under embargo that he didn't like. There is a very strong chance and is most likely referring to RAGE.

Salsa

DaBuddaDa said:
Yeah, those are previews. Previews are never negative. From people reviewing it:

"Just hit the point where if I wasn't getting paid to play this fucking game, I would have stopped."

"Not impressed."

"Gotta love scheduled online review matches where nobody fucking turns up." "I give up. I don't have time to sit around in empty lobbies."

1 negative comment, one saying "not impressed", another one complaining about people not playing online ??? that's what you call "press tearing it apart"?

also sources?

NBtoaster

DaBuddaDa said:

"Not impressed."

Who is saying that?

DaBuddaDa

SalsaShark said:
1 negative comment, one saying "not impressed", another one complaining about people not playing online ??? that's what you call "press tearing it apart"?

also sources?
Yeah, maybe I'm just being a nervous nellie, but I'm seeing nothing but complaints and not a single peep of positive reaction. All of this is on Twitter.

Salsa

DaBuddaDa said:
Yeah, maybe I'm just being a nervous nellie, but I'm seeing nothing but complaints and not a single peep of positive reaction. All of this is on Twitter.

I have my doubts over it being an all across the board 10/10 title, and i couldnt care less, all i know is that i can already tell IM going to enjoy the shit out of it, and going by some of the press, it'll get good reviews.

Solo

Who gives a fuck about reviews? Game is going to rock your shit.

Also, goddamn are games ever getting HUGE now. I thought The Witcher 2's size was re-donk-ulous, but RAGE is anoher 7 GB BIGGER than it. :lol

Solo said:
Who gives a fuck about reviews? Game is going to rock your shit.

The only time i give a crap about reviews is when all of the different reviewers trashes the game. Other then that, i never trust reviews.

EvilDick34 said:
I would love to know why there seems to be very little compression for the download, what is up with that?

My guess is its compressed as far as it can be. I'm just glad we're pre-loooooooading now.

Metal-Geo

Preloading the game while staring at the files getting organized in D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rage.

<_<

>_>

*licks monitor*

Tokubetsu

Since my priorities are different from most reviews -I tend to rate presentation the highest out of anything...and if it's real good, I can forgive most shortcomings- and everything I've seen for RAGE has appealed to most, if not all of my game sensibilities, I doubt I'll regret my purchase. Wing stick!

Tokubetsu said:
Since my priorities are different from most reviews -I tend to rate presentation the highest out of anything...and if it's real good, I can forgive most shortcomings- and everything I've seen for RAGE has appealed to most, if not all of my game sensibilities, I doubt I'll regret my purchase. Wing stick!

Unless this game is complete utter ass, i will enjoy the hell out of it. For me personally id has never let me down in the fun and scare factor. Speaking of the wing stick, i wonder how hard it would be to wing stick your way through the entire game, would it even be feasible?

Mrbob

SalsaShark said:
well i do want the game to do well

they're already working on the sequel though

Just put "From the publishers of Oblivion/Fallout" on the front of the box and we have a 5 million seller.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is there nowhere offering RAGE for cheaper than it is on the Steam store?

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
From the directory structures it looks like there might be more "bonus" content besides just the sewers.

There's
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rage\dlc\dlc1

And
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rage\dlc\dlc2

The second one has a virtualtextures folder which has files named "sewer_level_01.pages" and such. My download isn't far enough long to see whats in dlc1 though.

[edit]

Looks like its something called the "authority pack". Sounds like its just the extras from the Anarchy Edition?

Soooo, kinda OT here but i always forget to ask this question about steam downloads so i will ask here. When looking at the download page of Rage, the upper left hand corner of the download stats shows i have downloaded 915mb of the game but the main download screen bottom right says i have downloaded over 1100MB, which one do i trust guys?

Zefah said:
Is there nowhere offering RAGE for cheaper than it is on the Steam store?
The only legit sale I have seen was the newegg deal a couple of weeks back which I missed out on, I really though there would be some other sale before the games release.

garath

nel e nel said:
Jesus Christ, are you for real? Console saves are generally start>save>yes>start

I said it could be streamlined. Not that it was the end of the world. The reviewers are complaining that it breaks the immersion. I watched some of that stream and I can see it.

I typically play pc so no, I am not familiar with console manual save. I get to press f5 and continue with the game :)

Top Bottom